NFL Scout Chris Landry breaks down OSU vs Texas

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

NFL Scout Chris Landry breaks down OSU vs Texas

Post by Vito Corleone »

Pretty good read thought some of you might want a unbias opinion.

NFL Scout breaks down the big game
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Landry

Orangebloods.com is proud to bring NFL scouting guru Chris Landry back to the site as a guest columnist. In this week's Q&A, Landry answers your questions about the upcoming Ohio State game, while giving an in-depth preview of what to look for. This is the first of what will be a weekly column by Landry for Orangebloods.com

Q: What are the keys to the big game?

There are a few but topping the list is how the Buckeye defensive line surge matches up versus the best offensive line in the country. Ohio State has the best linebacker corps in the country and could cause some problems for Vince Young if they are allowed to read and flow. However, if UT's guards get into OSU's linebackers, it will be an entirely different story as Vince Young is an explosive athlete. Another key is how each offensive unit utilizes its most versatile offensive weapon. Ohio State's receiver Ted Ginn and Texas running back Ramonce Taylor can be a defensive coordinator's nightmare. Look for multiple alignment looks and lots of pre-snap motions in an effort to try and isolate these weapons. Ohio State has the edge in the passing game in that it has more weapons at receiver. Santonio Holmes will beat man coverage and Ginn can be effective wide, in the slot or on the inside slant routes, not to mention reverses. Texas will have to maintain good lane integrity and not over pursue. Getting out of position defensively in this game could result in big plays (25 or more yards).

The Buckeyes will try to spread out Texas' defense by using three- and four-wide receiver sets and getting them into seven-man fronts. If successful, they will run often out of this formation and try to control the ball as much as possible.

Texas offensively will obviously need a big game from quarterback Young both as a runner and a passer. He must be very effective on boot passes, misdirection passes against the grain and the middle crossing route to tight end David Thomas, the Longhorns' best receiver. Young can significantly slow down the Buckeyes up front pressure with quick zone read recognition and well-executed ball fakes out of the shotgun formation. First- and second-down yardage will be crucial as Texas cannot win this game if it has to do it from third and long position consistently. Third and short makes Young an even greater weapon as a first option passer and second option runner.

Texas has the advantage in the running game, at quarterback, offensive line, tight end, defensive line and at corner. Ohio State has a passing game advantage as it has better receivers, linebackers, home field advantage and have handled big game pressure a little better in recent years. Don't look to last season's Rose Bowl as any indication as Ohio State is a much more disciplined and sound defensive unit.

What a match up - two great traditional powers of state Universities with two of the biggest enrollments and alumni bases in the country. This has national championship game type flair and the winner could be headed toward that direction.

Q: Could you please give us your opinion on Gene Chizik? I am particularly interested in his schemes and player development.

He brings a nice combination of aggression while backing it up with sound assignment and fundamental coverage behind it. He likes to take an aggressive approach, likes to pressure from all angles and his defenders play the ball well. He really puts his players in good position to make plays and knows how to play to their strengths.

Q: Do you think Vince has improved as a quarterback? Overall thoughts on this Texas team. National champion caliber ?

He is more confident and comfortable. Time will tell on his ability as a passer against a good defense. He still takes off and creates so well with his feet that he misses some opportunities in the passing game. More patience in the pocket will improve him as a passer but his running threat is a real asset and bails their offense out consistently.

Texas has a great athlete at quarterback, good runners, best OL in college football, one the top 2-3 defensive lines in football and perhaps the best secondary in the country. It has lots of ways to beat you. Tough schedule but as talented or more than anyone on their schedule. Can the Longhorns make big plays in the passing game when they have to? They can make them when they want to. As long as they can stay out of third and longs on offense, they should win every game on their schedule.

Q: How does Ohio State's depth on both side of the ball compare to ours?

They are comparable and the most talented team in the Big 10 overall. They are not as good or deep on the OL or DL, deeper and better at receiver and linebacker and the secondary is very close but with a slight edge to UT. I like their overall special teams unit approach a little better. Both are talented at running back but I give UT the edge. Vince Young is a more athletic and dangerous weapon at quarterback but OSU has more depth and versatility there.

Q: It's the opinion of many that the SEC/Big 12 is a much faster conference than the Big 10. Can you be more specific with regards to just OSU vs Texas? How fast is the OSU defense vs the Texas Offense and vice versa? I think a pass rush is going to be a priority this Saturday. What do you think Chizik will do to keep the OSU QBs in check?

I think that is overrated but the Big 10 is still more of a run-oriented conference and thus defensively are a little stronger at the point of attack and not universally as fast. However, OSU is comparable to UT speed wise but I would give UT the speed edge. UT matches up well size and strength wise to OSU while being a little quicker.

Pass rush is always a priority defensively but it's what you have to do to generate it. This will be a coverage-focused game defensively for UT. They will need to contend with a lot of spread three-wide looks from OSU and be prepared to defend the run out of it as well. They will need to get pressure with their front four, throw in some occasional blitz looks and squat on the short out routes and inside slant routes. You don't want to have to defend Ginn and Holmes after they catch the ball - you want to defend them prior to the ball arriving.

Q: Can Texas get to the Ohio St. QB without blitzing? Can you beat Ohio St.'s speed on the outside without your front four putting pressure on the QB?

They can but it will take a great performance from UT interior defensive linemen – Wright, Dibbles and Okam - against one of the best centers in the country in Mangold and a very good RG in Sims. Look for some stunts and twists inside to get some outside speed coming inside through the "A" gap.

The passing game is always a matter of timing. Pressuring the quarterback severely limits his ability to get the ball to his wideouts.

Q: What is the best O-line Ohio St. faced last year and how did they fare? How did that O-line compare to the talent on this year's Texas O-line?

Michigan's. They got good penetration early and kept their guards from reaching their linebackers and hampered their running game. Texas's offensive line is better – the best in the country this year and better than any OL unit in the country last year.

Q: Do you think Texas will be able to run between the tackles on OSU? Is it reasonable to expect Texas can tally 200 YPG rushing as a team?

Only if the Longhorns have success on the perimeter and with Young on the boot passes. You cannot run between the tackles unless you soften and loose them up.

Q: Which Buckeye quarterback would give Texas the most trouble, Zwick or Smith? Do the Ohio State tailbacks, namely Pittman, have a shot at making a serious impact on the game, or were they in your opinion just racking up stats against Miami Ohio?

Smith brings a more versatile look as he is a solid passer on the move and very athletic giving them a running and escape option. All of their backs are really fast - Pittman can run, Haw is a bigger guy with straight line speed and acceleration and true freshman Maurice Wells also has lots of ability. OSU will try to spread UT out with some multiple receiver looks and run lots of delayed draws and run actions out of that set.

Q: If you were matching up against Ginn and Holmes, would you try to take advantage of our CBs size and bump them at the line or play off of them to prevent the big play?

I would play a man/zone combination with linebackers covering the curls, corners the flats with safety help over the top or bracketing Ginn. Make them throw outside the hash and beat you there. You cannot allow the underneath routes to develop or Ginn and Holmes RAC yards will be significant.

Q: It may seem obvious on the face of it, but for this particular Texas offensive line, what are the differences that are made to the offense by having a mobile, 315-pound center as opposed to a 275-pound guy?

They can hold the point of attack better.

Q: (InStink) - Can you break down the strengths and weaknesses of the Ohio State linebackers? Are they as great as people make them out to be?

Carpenter and Schlegel are instinctive, strong and physical. Hawk is a great pursuit player with dominant type playmaking ability. Their LB corps is as good as any in the country along with Florida State's and Iowa's.

Q: How does Vince match up with this defense? Will he be able to scramble and break long runs or do you think Ohio State will be able to contain him?

I think he can and will make some big plays with his feet. He will also need to make some plays in the passing game.

Q: Do you think that Miami (OH)'s offense is really that good and OSU just shut them down or was Miami's offense just average? Also, do you think they can shut UT's running game down?

Their passing game is better than their running game. They do not run the ball as well as Northern Illinois for example in their conference. No one will shut down anyone in any one facet of this game. Balance will be the key. One dimensional teams become easier to attack.

Q: In what round do you see David Thomas, going in the draft this next spring?

Second or third.

Q: I recently heard Mac McWhorter speak and was very impressed. Can you please express your opinion as to how Mac has been able to assemble and keep the talent on the OL that he has during his tenure.

Texas obviously recruits very well overall and particularly with the big guys. Big guys with good feet is what you look for physically at the OL position and they have plenty of those.

Chris Landry is a veteran NFL scout, having served with the Cleveland Browns, Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans and formerly ran the Indianapolis Scouting Combine. He now runs his own Scouting Consulting business where he scouts NFL and college personnel for NFL teams and helps Universities and NFL teams in their coaching evaluations and searches. He can be heard nationally on FOX Sports Radio as their college football and NFL analyst.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

It is settled...a tie it will be...

actually a very insightful and good read...

unfortunately those are the same points us "less informed" (sarcasm) people have been tossing back and forth.

i mean they pay people for this right? i am in the wrong line of business...textiles suck anyway...

vito...it will truely be a classic that I, along with buckeye nation and longhorn nation will be looking forward to...all smack aside good luck on saturday and may the best team win...i will be here win or lose to wear the sig and or dish one out...(thought now might be a good time to institute the kharma vibe)...

good luck!
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Agreed, _sc. I have not been this pumped for a non-conference OSU game in quite some time. And for the fact that I don't live in C-bus anymore and have tickets to this one only heightens the anticipation (I wanna go back, I gotta go back, to O-HI-O... sorry, just had to).

I think the hype over this game tells a lot about both schools and their rich football traditions. I'd love to see the Bucks whomp on them 'Horns, but if the outcome is not to my liking, I will take my lumps. I'm going on a rafting trip right after and will be on vacation most of next week, but win or lose, I will be back here to talk smack/bend over.

And the thought of an Austin roadie next season only adds to the fun. Alright boys, I'm off to my homeland. Go Bucks!

OSU 26
UT 17
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:It is settled...a tie it will be...

actually a very insightful and good read...

unfortunately those are the same points us "less informed" (sarcasm) people have been tossing back and forth.

i mean they pay people for this right? i am in the wrong line of business...textiles suck anyway...

vito...it will truely be a classic that I, along with buckeye nation and longhorn nation will be looking forward to...all smack aside good luck on saturday and may the best team win...i will be here win or lose to wear the sig and or dish one out...(thought now might be a good time to institute the kharma vibe)...

good luck!
I totally agree, as much bull shit as I have been spreading the truth is I have no idea what to expect in this game. Win or lose I love all the hype and buildup for this matchup and I wish that we can make this a more common occurance.
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Vito Corleone wrote:I wish that we can make this a more common occurance.
I'd love to agree, but my chewed up fingernails, cramped up stomach, nervous twitching, flipping off every damned car even close to osu red and much smaller bank account IF we lose probably wouldn't agree.

Good times?

Great article- btw. Just gets me more nervous/excited/NERVOUS.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

PrimeX wrote:
Vito Corleone wrote:I wish that we can make this a more common occurance.
I'd love to agree, but my chewed up fingernails, cramped up stomach, nervous twitching, flipping off every damned car even close to osu red and much smaller bank account IF we lose probably wouldn't agree.

Good times?

Great article- btw. Just gets me more nervous/excited/NERVOUS.
My productivity has dropped below sea-level. All I can do and think about is this game.

BTW I need to give a huge rack to my son who will be testing for his Blue belt Saturday afternoon in his Shaolin class. Here's hoping for a double good Saturday.
Last edited by Vito Corleone on Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Marion
Elwood

Post by Shawn Marion »

Vito Corleone wrote: My productivity has dropped below sea-level. All I can do and think about is this game.
I blew off a week of law school class by surfing the net looking at ticket prices.

Finally got a pair for 200 each.
8-1 feels so much better than 2-10-1
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Shawn Marion wrote:
Vito Corleone wrote: My productivity has dropped below sea-level. All I can do and think about is this game.
I blew off a week of law school class by surfing the net looking at ticket prices.

Finally got a pair for 200 each.
OUCH!

not quite like the 1K tickets we were hearing about...

i'd rather be in the Varsity Club EARLY--->eating some 'Zaaa and consuming Large quantities of Liquids....

Props to HORNFan for the entertaining SMACK this week!

BUCKEYES are gonna ROLL.

(and, yes, i'm IN on the Sig bet)

RACK 88 and PETE! (and harvdog and vito too)

great Threads
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Is it Saturday yet? This should be the game of the year. I cannot wait. I told the wife that I need to be left alone from 6:00 to 11:00 and keep the beers coming.

It has been a fun week of smack. We need more of this. :lol:

Good luck to the buckeyes and horns

Texas 27
OSU 13
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I hope my friend who is getting married has whiskey dick Saturday night. :waz:

TheChief and I will be at a damn reception. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...