Top College Coaches--Here are mine; who am I missing?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Top College Coaches--Here are mine; who am I missing?

Post by M2 »

My TOP 10:

1. Mike Price

2. Dan Hawkins

3. Urban Meyer

4. Jeff Tedford

5. Steve Spurrier

6. Pete Carroll

7. Bobby Petrino

8. Bob Stoops

9. Mike Leach

10. Walt Harris

A lot of people like Tommy Tuberville. I think he gets a lot of mileage from his assistants.

A lot of people like Tom O'Brien. I know absolutely nothing about him.

the truth
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

1. Mike Price?

I graduated from WSU and like Mike Price a lot. But he isn't #1. If you want examples of why, I could probably list 1 or 2 or 10.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:1. Mike Price?

I graduated from WSU and like Mike Price a lot. But he isn't #1. If you want examples of why, I could probably list 1 or 2 or 10.
It wasn't in order...

if you want to make it so...

then be it.

m2
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Kurt Ferentz---IOWA
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Re: Top College Coaches--Here are mine; who am I missing?

Post by peter dragon »

m2 wrote:My TOP 10:

1. Mike Price

2. Dan Hawkins

3. Urban Meyer

4. Jeff Tedford

5. Steve Spurrier

6. Pete Carroll

7. Bobby Petrino

8. Bob Stoops

9. Mike Leach

10. Walt Harris

A lot of people like Tommy Tuberville. I think he gets a lot of mileage from his assistants.

A lot of people like Tom O'Brien. I know absolutely nothing about him.

the truth
to not include MACK, TRESSEL or even FAT PHIL is a fucking waste of time. If your going to include Hawkins then you have to include Larry Kehres. and Walt Harris has no buisness being on that list. Neither does Leach or Tedford for that matter.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Easy guys...

This is just my opinion...

You guys make great points, and I agree with most of your points...

hence, my question...

can't wait for the season, as most

Good luck in 05'

m2
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

What about Fisher DeBerry? While Army & Navy have sucked ass for the better part of the past few decades, he's actually managed to field a consistently competitive team at a fucking service academy.
"Keys, woman!"
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

of course no m2 list would be complete without something CAL...

Leach? Price? yeah Price did wonders at WSU for a couple of years and had a good year last year but to mention him among say the best? no way...

my $.02

Carroll
Stoops (Bob of course)
Tressel
Fulmer (even though I hate the bastard)
Beamer
Ferentz
Mack

Those would be my A level (prolly missing a couple) but some of the coaches you mention like Petrino, Urban, while great coaches...need to be around for more than 4 or 5 years and need to prove themselves for a little longer...

just sayin...
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

not that this is going to add any thing to the conversation, but If I see FAT PHIL on the street. I would be hard pressed not to punch him in the head.

carry on....
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

^^^^^^

cleat issues much? :lol:

i'd punch that fucker to...then I would find Jay Graham (69 yard draw play for a TD right before half) and punch him as well...fuckers using illegal cleats...
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Fucking Tennecleats.

Sorry, but when you start a list of best college coaches and fail to mention two of the last three current coaches to win a national title, you are wasting your fucking time.

Babs and J=B are in serious jeopardy of being dethroned.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I'll echo the thoughts of others...Walt Harris is on the list, and Kirk Ferentz isn't? Time for revisions.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

PSUFAN wrote:I'll echo the thoughts of others...Walt Harris is on the list, and Kirk Ferentz isn't? Time for revisions.
I agree.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

Who is Kirk Ferentz?

sin,
m2ool
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

I'm not sold on Coker, I think he happened into a good situation, but I think Tressel is a hell of a coach. And yes, Mack Brown should be on the list.

I would still put Bowden on the list most of his problems now seem to be issues with losing so many assistants. Another guy we can probably put on the list is the guy at Georgia.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

I tend to agree with you on Coker, Vito, but still... like I said, at least two out of the three (Carroll, Coker, Tressel) should be on mdrool's list.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I would keep Bowden off the list, for the same reasons that I'd keep Paterno off of it. Both were great coaches in their day. Neither are great coaches in today's game.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
War Stoops
Elwood

Post by War Stoops »

$0.02

1. Frank Beamer
2. Bob Stoops
3. Mark Richt
4. Pete Carroll
5. Kirk Ferentz
6. Jim Tressell
7. Mack Brown
8. Jeff Tedford
9. Phil Fulmer
10. Bill Snyder

Soon to make list: Charlie Weiss, Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier (again)
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Re: Top College Coaches--Here are mine; who am I missing?

Post by GreginPG »

m2ool wrote:My TOP 10 of all time:

1. Jeff Tedford

2. Bruce Snyder

3. Mike White

4. Steve Mariucci

5. Keith Gilbertson

6. Joe Kapp

7. Marv Levy

8. Tom Holmoe

9. Ray Willsey

10. Pete Carroll (Though he's been dominated by Cal.)

A lot of people like Tom O'Brien. I know absolutely nothing about college football.

the truth
FTFY
FIGHT ON!
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Damn I forgot about Beamer he is a hell of a coach!

Here is my list

1. Pete Carroll
2. Bob Stoops
3. Jim Tressel
4. Frank Beamer
5. Kirk Ferentz
6. Mark Richt
7. Mack Brown
8. Steve Spurrier
9. Bobby Bowden
10. Bill Snyder

Guys will will be on the list very soon: Charlie Weiss, Urban Meyer, Greg Robinson, Jeff Tedford, Dan Hawkins, and Walt Harris.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I just noticed that m2 did label his list "all-time". My bad.

My current list would indeed have Tom O'Brien. He's done a great job at BC. He's going to get a lot more notice in the ACC...it's going to be tough for some of those teams to play up north, also.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Vito Corleone wrote:I'm not sold on Coker, I think he happened into a good situation, but I think Tressel is a hell of a coach. And yes, Mack Brown should be on the list.

I would still put Bowden on the list most of his problems now seem to be issues with losing so many assistants. Another guy we can probably put on the list is the guy at Georgia.
I like Coker a lot, he has changed that program from the thug years. It's not the same band of thugs that used to run amuck in corral gables. He's brought some class to that university. He's rid himself of berlin, i see them as a huge sleeper this year(sleeper for a top program).

Just my op!
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Coker wasn't the guy who cleaned up the 'Canes, that honor fell to Butch Davis.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

The only thing that cleaned up the Canes was NCAA sanctions. Davis and Coker get the credit variously, but still we're talking about the school that will start Willie Williams.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Some honorable mentions...

Joe Tiller
Pat Hill
Chuck Amato
Lloyd Carr
Mike Bellotti
Barry Alvarez
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

PSUFAN wrote:The only thing that cleaned up the Canes was NCAA sanctions. Davis and Coker get the credit variously, but still we're talking about the school that will start Willie Williams.
No argument on the Willie Williams decision...but I seem to recall that Davis was the guy who was widely-regarded as the savior of their program...remember the cover of this SI issue?

Truth be told, I think when Coker came in the pressure to win has forced him to take a step backwards from where Davis left off. Enter Willie-boy.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:
Those would be my A level (prolly missing a couple) but some of the coaches you mention like Petrino, Urban, while great coaches...need to be around for more than 4 or 5 years and need to prove themselves for a little longer...

just sayin...
From the OSU website.......

Jim Tressel

Position:
Head Coach

Experience:
5th Season

Uh...........

just sayin
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

Damn, I had a good Willie Williams crack but someone beat me to it!!!!
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

T REX wrote:From the OSU website.......

Jim Tressel

Position:
Head Coach

Experience:
5th Season

Uh...........

just sayin
From the USC website...Pete Carroll...Experience 5th season.

Both have massive 'Bode over Slurpin Meyer and would kick the shit out of him on the field.

just sayin
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Trix...of course you would interpret that LITERALLY and again you don't know a FUCKING THING of what you are talking about...

Tressel has won FIVE FUCKING NATIONAL TITLES 4 on the I-AA level and 1 on the I-A level...he also made the I-AA National Title Game 2 or 3 other times and had a huge record at YSU...so you see he proved himself on a level that warranted a move up...then once he got up to the I-A level it didn't take him long to prove himself worthy at that level...

Petrino and Urban were great assistants before getting gigs at the Head Level...Urban did wonders at BGSU and at Utah...Petrino (save the Auburn debacle) has done wonders at Louisville...

you notice I said prove themselves A LITTLE LONGER...tressel as BTH pointed out has won at every level...

Did you know JT won 4 National Titles on the I-AA level? Would you not consider him one of the top 5-8 coaches in the game today?

See instead of always taking the wahhhh they are picking on Urban route...why don't you come with something as to why you may not think Tressel is worthy of that status...then perhaps we can discuss rather than beat the shit out of you time and time again...

and as usual meds is solid again...
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:
T REX wrote:From the OSU website.......

Jim Tressel

Position:
Head Coach

Experience:
5th Season

Uh...........

just sayin
From the USC website...Pete Carroll...Experience 5th season.

Both have massive 'Bode over Slurpin Meyer and would kick the shit out of him on the field.

just sayin
Can you read? I didn't say a word about Urban. He must prove himself at a major D-IA program. He has his chance. Let's see what Petey does without Chow, okay?

T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:Trix...of course you would interpret that LITERALLY and again you don't know a FUCKING THING of what you are talking about...

Tressel has won FIVE FUCKING NATIONAL TITLES 4 on the I-AA level and 1 on the I-A level...he also made the I-AA National Title Game 2 or 3 other times and had a huge record at YSU...so you see he proved himself on a level that warranted a move up...then once he got up to the I-A level it didn't take him long to prove himself worthy at that level...

Petrino and Urban were great assistants before getting gigs at the Head Level...Urban did wonders at BGSU and at Utah...Petrino (save the Auburn debacle) has done wonders at Louisville...

you notice I said prove themselves A LITTLE LONGER...tressel as BTH pointed out has won at every level...

Did you know JT won 4 National Titles on the I-AA level? Would you not consider him one of the top 5-8 coaches in the game today?

See instead of always taking the wahhhh they are picking on Urban route...why don't you come with something as to why you may not think Tressel is worthy of that status...then perhaps we can discuss rather than beat the shit out of you time and time again...

and as usual meds is solid again...
This is non-stop funny. You say 5th year. I bring it up and you fall to pieces....liek I knew you would. You guys are so predictable. Whatever I say is returned with Urban slurpin or SEC sux or whatever. I know what you'll post before you even type it.

As someone said very profoundly, many of you just read the author's name instead of the post itself and respond accordingly no matter what merit said poster has.

SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

How can Carroll not be #1? in just 4 years he has done more than all the other coaches on the list ahead of him and he walked in to a program that was rocketing downward
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

1 - Carroll
2 - Stoops
3 - Carr
4 - Spurrier
5 - Fulmer
6 - Mack
7 - Richt
8 - Petrino
9 - Tressel
10 - Beamer
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Some underrateds:

Dan Hawkins-bitches any team that doesn't have him considerably outgunned in the talent department.

Randy Edsall-has quickly taken UCONN from 1AA to winning 1A program.

Joe Glenn-Older guy that should've gotten his shot long ago. Built a power in Montana and now is winning at the lowest populated state in the country, Wyoming.

Paul Johnson-Yet another guy that built AA juggernaut, now winning consistently at freaking Navy.

You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

ok mental midget Rex...

I said be around longer than 4 or 5 years and prove themselves a little longer...

and if you would taken the time to read my response I gave props to Petrino and Meyer for doing what they did at their respective schools.

answer this question:

Have Meyer, Petrino, insert young, up and coming coach here, proven themselves at the highest level in college yet? If you can answer that without batting an eye then well this will go nowhere. Funny I mention that he has to prove himself (meaning Urban) so do you in your reply to meds, and then you melt...

I was merely pointing out for your (I know nothing outside of FLA football mentality) that Tressel has proven himself...again did you know he has FIVE total National Titles? Look if I were to do a top 10 list of coaches in CF right now Tress would be at best 8-10...I still think while he is a great coach there are a few things he has to improve upon with his teams...plus with only having 5 years at the D-IA level I figure if he say goes out and wins 9-11 games this year and wins another bowl he will start cementing himself as a top tier coach...

Carroll while only being on the college level for 5 years has proven himself and another year or two of this will only cement himself as a top 3 coach in all of CF...

if you go back and re-read I was not calling Urban out...merely pointing out that HE along with other young coaches need to prove themselves...

we had this same issue last year with Leak...all you wanted to do was bitch and moan...look you want to discuss the merits of Urban and Tress let's do so...I am up for it...
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Listen, stop with the 5 I-AA titles. They mean nothing and frankly, you were a bad call away from nothing. Yes, yes.....you have one. Funny thing, is that it was an attempt at humor. You know....laugh, laugh. You mentioned the 5 years. Many(probably no one would admit it) but the whole I-AA thing.......give it a rest. Also, I never said one negative thing about Tressel, did I?

buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

actually it was 4 IAA titles...you really can't read can you?

and actually it does prove that he can succeed at various levels...in fact he has continued to succeed at the I-A level since getting the job in 2000. I mean 7-5, 14-0, 11-2, 8-4, with 3 bowl wins among which were two BCS bowls and a National Championship, plus a 3-1 record against his chief rival...I would say he have proven a lot since coming to the I-A level. The I-AA titles don't mean anything huh? So what you are saying is this man while WINNING 4 I-AA titles and playing in the Championship game TWO more times does not know how to coach and get teams to the top and succeed. IS that what I am hearing?

No you never did say one negative thing about Tressel, but did I happen to say anything negative about Urban in this post? Nope...merely pointed out that he, along with other young coaches need to prove themselves a little more...Urban did wonders at BGSU and Utah (and I have stated that fact many a time)...

again I am up for discussing but it is obvious you do not want m2 to run away with the board bitch title...

Go Wyoming Cowboys...

you know as much as I would love to play SC for the National Title...my second choice would be to play FLA in any bowl game (BCS or otherwise) so tOSU can again pound a FLA team...
Jobocky
Elwood

Post by Jobocky »

Lloyd Carr

signed, OSU fan
Nolesy
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nolesy »

If this is an "all time " list where is:

Bear Bryant
Bud Wilkenson
Eddie Robinson
Knute Rockne
Jeff Bowden
Fuck the ACLU. It will always be Merry Christmas to me.

Barrack Obama is lib speak for Jimmy Carter