Holy fuck - the D's and the R's finally did something right!

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Re: Holy fuck - the D's and the R's finally did something right!

Post by Left Seater »

I can support that for sure. The lack of time changing.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

Anyone remember when Nixon issued an executive order to this effect back when the towel heads shut down their pumps? It was a fiasco.

DST is completely artificial--just like calling a man a woman.
Before God was, I am
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

LTS TRN 2 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:30 pmDST is completely artificial
But standard time is as natural as mother's milk. :meds:
"I see everything twice!"
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Well it’s closer to high noon at noon, which is what they should have picked if they are going to change it. Bipartisan and they still fucked it up.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

Smackie Chan wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:20 am
LTS TRN 2 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:30 pmDST is completely artificial
But standard time is as natural as mother's milk. :meds:
Yes the solar system determines an accurate measure of the earth's revolving about the sun while rotating on its axis. But what, you're questioning something? What are you saying about standard time? :?:
Before God was, I am
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

LTS TRN 2 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:01 amthe solar system determines an accurate measure of the earth's revolving about the sun while rotating on its axis.
You truly are a cretin. The solar system "determines" nothing of the sort; it simply does what it does. Man uses what the solar system does to create measurements of time. Hence, ALL time measurements, including the determinations of what standard time is and where the boundaries are drawn separating time zones, are arbitrary and therefore "artificial." You do realize that China, which spans five geographical "time zones," uses only one - Chinese Standard Time. Is that artificial, or did the solar system determine that?
But what, you're questioning something?
Just your lucidity. Which is my bad, since your lack of it has long been "determined."
What are you saying about standard time? :?:
It is no less artificial than DST.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Kierland wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:59 amWell it’s closer to high noon at noon, which is what they should have picked if they are going to change it.
In what locations and on what days?
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

We could use a single time zone, Zulu Time (GreenwichMeanTime) like the military. I guess it's just that regular folks have their biological clocks which use sunrise and sunset as guide posts.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Smackie Chan wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:14 pm
Kierland wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:59 amWell it’s closer to high noon at noon, which is what they should have picked if they are going to change it.
In what locations and on what days?
More than if you use DST.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Smackie Chan wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:55 pm
LTS TRN 2 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:01 amthe solar system determines an accurate measure of the earth's revolving about the sun while rotating on its axis.
You truly are a cretin. The solar system "determines" nothing of the sort; it simply does what it does. Man uses what the solar system does to create measurements of time. Hence, ALL time measurements, including the determinations of what standard time is and where the boundaries are drawn separating time zones, are arbitrary and therefore "artificial." You do realize that China, which spans five geographical "time zones," uses only one - Chinese Standard Time. Is that artificial, or did the solar system determine that?
But what, you're questioning something?
Just your lucidity. Which is my bad, since your lack of it has long been "determined."
What are you saying about standard time? :?:
It is no less artificial than DST.
San Francisco and Las Vegas are both in the same time zone, yet "high noon" in San Francisco is quite a bit different by the clock than in Las Vegas.
Boise, Idaho is actually slightly west of Las Vegas and yet they are an hour different if you go by the time zones.

Once I retire "completely" I won't be setting my alarm anymore, so DST or standard time won't make much difference except for appointments, etc. Network TV schedules don't mean shit anymore either because we mostly stream whatever the fuck we're watching.

Time Zones were originally created by the railroads so that they could run on a schedule. Didn't matter at all to anybody else at the time.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Ever hear of a "regulator" clock?

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworkin ... ator-clock
Regulators were first developed in England around 1720. Typical clocks of the day were only accurate to within about 5 minutes per week. But regulators, such as the one shown at right, powered by a weighted and geared mechanism, could be accurate to within 10 seconds per month when properly adjusted. These clocks were initially used in observatories and clock and watch shops as the standard of accuracy during repairs, synchronization, and manufacturing.

By the mid-19th century, regulators were being mass-produced with high accuracy in Vienna, Austria. And near the end of that century, the American version of these clocks began to be produced in mass quantity with equal accuracy. The majority of these clocks kept time only, however, without any bells or chimes.

Regulators gained prominence in America in the late 1800s as the time standard in railroad stations of every town. Railroad employees would synchronize their pocket watches to these regulator clocks several times a day. This helped to reduce the number of train collisions.
I actually have one of these regulators in my house, made by Seth Thomas in 1884. It looks like a big grandfather clock but it doesn't have any chimes. Just a weighted pendulum, and another weight on a chain that drives the movement. Needs to be wound about once a week. You adjust the speed of the clock by moving the pendulum weight up or down to speed or slow the period of its swing.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Learn something new everyday.

I always had a sundial when I had a house, it’s what the plants and chickens use and they run the farm.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Mikey wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:08 pmSan Francisco and Las Vegas are both in the same time zone, yet "high noon" in San Francisco is quite a bit different by the clock than in Las Vegas.
Exactly, and high noon will vary time-wise depending on the day of the year. [Note that all time references in the previous sentence (noon, day, year) are man-made units/descriptions based on astronomic actions.] My point in asking the question to Kierland was, if you're going to use high noon as a benchmark to determine standard time, when (what day) and where are you going to base it on? Regardless of the answer, it's all arbitrary and therefore artificial.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

It is mostly artificial as it is possible to have a solar cock that has 12 noon at high noon everyday for where that clock is. Now you would only have four 24 hr days a year that way, but my comment stands. More people have (area has) 12noon closer to high noon if they would have picked Standard time.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Kierland wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:40 pmit is possible to have a solar cock that has 12 noon at high noon everyday for where that clock is.
Right, that would be the most "accurate" time at any given point on Earth based on the sun's position, but it's highly impractical.
Now you would only have four 24 hr days a year that way, but my comment stands. More people have (area has) 12noon closer to high noon if they would have picked Standard time.
No argument, since I have no idea if it's true, if anyone has ever measured, or if anyone cares.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Just by definition it’s true, and all the people that want it lighter earlier in the morning as opposed to darker later care. So millions of people.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Kierland wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:04 pm Just by definition it’s true, and all the people that want it lighter earlier in the morning as opposed to darker later care. So millions of people.
You're arguing a different issue. Yeah, people care about that hour. I was saying that no one cares if more people's noon is closer to high noon. All they care about is how it is where they live.
Biggie
The Great Illuminator

Post by Biggie »

Wolfman wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:04 pm Zulu Time
Rack.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Smackie Chan wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:50 pm
Kierland wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:04 pm Just by definition it’s true, and all the people that want it lighter earlier in the morning as opposed to darker later care. So millions of people.
You're arguing a different issue. Yeah, people care about that hour. I was saying that no one cares if more people's noon is closer to high noon. All they care about is how it is where they live.
Yes people are selfish, but a policy still needs to be made and this is worse than all Standard time because it has few wild swings.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

DST is bullshit. People revolted against year round DST in 74 when Tricky Dick tried it as a way to cut energy consumption. Within a year they changed back. What good is a 5:30 sunset on Christmas if your children are walk to the bus in pitch dark weather? Standard time year round would make more sense.

Sent from my iPhone using a big network of tubes.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Why not let states make their own choice? Walking to a bus stop in the dark isn’t an issue in Texas.

If you want more daylight in winter, move south.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Because everyone can just move where they want. You really are a selfish, myopic POS.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Kierland wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:16 pm Because everyone can just move where they want. You really are a selfish, myopic POS.
Left Behinder basically nailed it. This savings time changing nonsense is really a political battle between northern and southern states. Daylight savings benefits northern locales because they get less sunlight, shorter days, and later sunrises. Southern states do not, so why would they give a fuck?

As someone from the northwest portion of the Eastern Time Zone, daylight savings is great. Having 9 pm sunsets in West Michigan in the 90s was awesome. It's much better to have children waiting for buses in daylight too.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

88naziss loves this kind of post.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Back when the US tried 365 days of DST in the 70s, school kids getting hit by cars during the dark mornings was one of the main reasons for going back to a split year.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:07 am Weird. I don't know of a single person down here where I live that prefers standard time over what we have now. Everybody wants it this way. Personally, it wouldn't KILL me if they left it the other way - just as long as they'd quit fucking with it.
Yeah, that's my point, halfwit. You don't care. It really doesn't affect your life either way. It does for people in northern locales and those in the NW portions of time zones.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Because it was a dumb idea, just like when your parents decided to have you.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

You have never been afraid to be wrong multiple times a day.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:32 pm https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5988 ... e-in-house

And now it appears they’re going to fuck this up.

Our government sucks shit.
Good on the House. Fuck the Senate.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I'm more than happy with the way thing are right now. You are such a snowflake.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I’d rather have standard time but don’t give much of a rat’s ass. Just get rid of the time change.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

^^^^^^^^^

2nd.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

What if we simply turned our clocks back 30 minutes?
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Took a great pic few months back of the sun setting on the Snake River, so again Shedick is full of shit.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Mikey wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:17 pmI’d rather have standard time but don’t give much of a rat’s ass. Just get rid of the time change.
I want the time change to continue, so we can have a "change your clocks" thread up on this board two times a year.

:)
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Softball Bat wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:30 am
Mikey wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:17 pmI’d rather have standard time but don’t give much of a rat’s ass. Just get rid of the time change.
I want the time change to continue, so we can have a "change your clocks" thread up on this board two times a year.

:)
Yeah I see what you mean. We do need an occasional break from Dems suck and Republicans suck.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The only thing I like about DST is that it works to my advantage on our utility time of use rates.

Starting in June our peak rate (which lasts from 4:00 pm until 9:00 pm) will jump from $0.42/kWh to $0.66/kWh. The thing about DST is that it gives me an extra hour of solar production, which they pay me the full on-peak rate for. The extra hour is actually at the beginning of the period and not the end (what used to be 3 pm - 4 pm will become 4 pm - 5 pm) when the sun is higher. I make money from March through August (very little heating except in early March and not much AC until at least August) to offset winter when we don't get so much sun.

(it's complicated) 8)
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

At the end of the day it is always about the pocketbook.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Left Seater wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:24 am At the end of the day it is always about the pocketbook.
Not sure how you got that from my post. Yeah it works a little in my favor financially and I know how to take advantage of it, so I’d be a fool not to. But I always would prefer Standard Time anyway. I’m in the habit of getting up at 5:00 am year round to walk 2 miles with the OL before starting work at 7:00. So DST pushes that back to 4:00 am. Fuck that. Thing is I’m down to working three days a week, two of them from home. As of April 1 I’ll be 100% out to pasture and living on whatever schedule I damn well please. Hence not giving much of a rat’s ass which way they go, or even if they keep the time change.

Being a “morning person,” but not a get up in the middle of the fucking night person, I just think permanent DST is stupid.