Democrats getting "out" the vote

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

The governor said only four other states -- Alabama, Florida, Kentucky and Virginia -- prohibit felons from voting after completing their sentences.
So in other words, Iowa is joining the MAJORITY of states, and leaving the MINORITY group comprised of only four southern states?

and that is solely a Democratic party issue how, Mister "Texas isn't even on the minority list"?
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

"..., force states to allow voters to register at the polls and declaring Election Day a federal holiday."

When will the madness end?

Sincerely,
:roll:
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Do we have to read all that? Aren't there cliff notes? Why don't I just summarize:

Republicans in Congress have their own partisan motivations for opposing any enfranchisement of felons. Leaving the matter to the states probably will mean more felons regaining the right to vote than Republicans would like but fewer than Democrats desire. And that's probably about the right solution.

#2 While Republicans may not be able to satisfy the threshold for fraud (in fact fraud wasn’t specifically pled), they may be able to demonstrate that the election was so tainted as to mandate a revote.

Whatever the outcome at the trial court, the case will be appealed. No election is perfect. Whenever millions go to the polls, glitches will occur.

There you go, Choads. Shit happens.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

DasChoke;
Funny how republicans like to criticize dems for going to court to get their way (i.e. Prop 187 in CA). Guess the conservatives like talking out their ass.

P.S. Rossi lost in court as well, and admitted defeat. Get over it.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

And where does "rehabilitation" fit into the picture? If you do a crime and do the time, should you continue to be punished for the rest of your life in other ways such as not being allowed to vote ever again?

When should the individuals rights kick back in?
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

The "worst in society" are still a part of your society.
Sweep them under the rug, or claim high recidivist rates, but sooner or later they'll have to be folded back into society. It's a measure of a progressive culture to help the weakest and worst.

Ignore it at your own peril.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Martyred wrote:The "worst in society" are still a part of your society.
Sweep them under the rug, or claim high recidivist rates, but sooner or later they'll have to be folded back into society. It's a measure of a progressive culture to help the weakest and worst.

Ignore it at your own peril.
And we've led the world in that regard since we've established ourselves as a nation.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

DasChoads wrote:
Mister Bushice wrote:And where does "rehabilitation" fit into the picture? If you do a crime and do the time, should you continue to be punished for the rest of your life in other ways such as not being allowed to vote ever again?

Dodge the questions much Bushice?

You can ask about rehabilitation all you want, what does it say about a political party that pursues the worst in society in a dash for power? Thats the core question here.
I'm not dodging anything. Each state has different rules regarding who/how/what when it comes to released felons and voting. That is as it should be.

If you had committed a burglary as a stupid 21 year old, did 10 years, do you deserve to be excluded from certain aspects of society for the rest of your life? Do you label every released felon with the same "untouchable" stigma, no matter what the crime?

I think what it says about the democratic party is that:

#1. They've done their homework, and realize the majority of former felons vote democratic.

#2. They have decided that if you do time, and are released back into society, you should have the right as an American citizen to live a normal productive life, which includes voting rights.

#3. At this point, they need votes where ever the fuck they can get them, just like the republicans who have been harassing me for a week trying to get me to give them money.

When it comes to voting, the "worst in society" are those that don't bother to vote, not those that have paid for their crimes and have been released back into society to CONTRIBUTE.

Ease up on the hate a bit, Choads. The Republicans are in control for now, and the dems have a long fucking road to get back what they lost.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

This is a prime example of a logical idea that is being distorted and twisted by partisan hacks for their own ends. Letting felons vote AFTER completing their sentences is nothing more than a recognition that their debt to society (if not their conscience and their victims) has been paid. Why is that so hard for the politicos on the right to understand?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

BSmack wrote:This is a prime example of a logical idea that is being distorted and twisted by partisan hacks for their own ends. Letting felons vote AFTER completing their sentences is nothing more than a recognition that their debt to society (if not their conscience and their victims) has been paid. Why is that so hard for the politicos on the right to understand?
It's not. You're pole vaulting over mouse turds here. Bushice is correct, it's up to each state.

The belly aching going on has little to do with whether or not felons can vote or not and much more to do with DNC's ability to "round" felons up on election day when it looks like their losing and ship them to the polls.

When a felon is elgible, does the proper paperwork, and his or her right to vote is once again acknowledged, then he or she can vote again.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Tom In VA wrote:
BSmack wrote:This is a prime example of a logical idea that is being distorted and twisted by partisan hacks for their own ends. Letting felons vote AFTER completing their sentences is nothing more than a recognition that their debt to society (if not their conscience and their victims) has been paid. Why is that so hard for the politicos on the right to understand?
It's not. You're pole vaulting over mouse turds here. Bushice is correct, it's up to each state.

The belly aching going on has little to do with whether or not felons can vote or not and much more to do with DNC's ability to "round" felons up on election day when it looks like their losing and ship them to the polls.

When a felon is elgible, does the proper paperwork, and his or her right to vote is once again acknowledged, then he or she can vote again.
Tom,

What the fuck are you talking about? As someone who has worked on Democratic campaigns for a number of years, I can categorically tell you that there is no pipeline of felons waiting in reserve. To start, GOTV efforts are an all out affair. There is no "reserve" component. Everybody pushes every resource, friend, and relative they have until there is nothing left to give.

Second, anybody who knows jack shit about election demographics knows that the prime voter blocks for Democratic campaigns are senior citizens, working class ethic votes and voters who have voted in primaries. Sure, there are targeted efforts made to enroll African American, Latino and college age voters. But, even those efforts are put aside come the final week of the election. At that time, the effort switches to getting so called "prime" voters out. And that list does not include felons.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

BSmack wrote:
Tom In VA wrote:

Tom,

What the fuck are you talking about? As someone who has worked on Democratic campaigns for a number of years, I can categorically tell you that there is no pipeline of felons waiting in reserve. To start, GOTV efforts are an all out affair. There is no "reserve" component. Everybody pushes every resource, friend, and relative they have until there is nothing left to give.

Second, anybody who knows jack shit about election demographics knows that the prime voter blocks for Democratic campaigns are senior citizens, working class ethic votes and voters who have voted in primaries. Sure, there are targeted efforts made to enroll African American, Latino and college age voters. But, even those efforts are put aside come the final week of the election. At that time, the effort switches to getting so called "prime" voters out. And that list does not include felons.
Bullshit. The DNC is a whore for votes, by any means necessary. "A Chicken in Every Pot if you vote for us" is a promise made and never kept. It's simply a ploy for power.

The DNC has no principles. They rely on charismatic appeals to emotion. They rarely deliver. Quite frankly, in their attempt to appeal to all, they fall short and are beginning to appeal to none.

"Divide and Conquor". The DNC motto.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Tom In VA wrote:
BSmack wrote:
Tom In VA wrote: It's not. You're pole vaulting over mouse turds here. Bushice is correct, it's up to each state.

Tom,

Bullshit. The DNC is a whore for votes, by any means necessary. "A Chicken in Every Pot if you vote for us" is a promise made and never kept. It's simply a ploy for power.

The DNC has no principles. They rely on charismatic appeals to emotion. They rarely deliver. Quite frankly, in their attempt to appeal to all, they fall short and are beginning to appeal to none.

"Divide and Conquor". The DNC motto.
Tom,

I beg to differ. Honest truth, this is what has been going on for two weeks with me.

Phone rings. Caller ID shows "unavailable". 2 times a day when we're not home, totalling 4 days a week.

When I'm home, I answer. There's a delay on the line, then a voice asking for my wife, who NEVER registered republican. I answered 4 times in 2 days that she was not there, and I asked who was calling. It was a rep from the republican party. They hung up.

2 days ago, they got more aggressive. They asked for me, then began expounding the virtues of the republican victories in the last year, at which point I told them I did not vote republican in the last election. CUT OFF with no goodbye.

Yesterday, they called asking for Mrs. B. This time is was not a black dude, it was a black chick. It went like this:

THEM: Hello. Can I speak with Mrs. Bushharsh?
ME: It's Bushice. Who is this?
THEM: I am Shondra Holloway. Is Mrs. BushHarsh there?
ME: It's Bushice, not bushharsh, and who ARE you calling from?
THEM: I'm Shondra Holloway. May I speak with Mrs. Bush, Bu-Bushice?
ME: She's not here. Who are you and what are you calling about?
THEM: I have TOLD you MY name TWICE already. I am Shondra Holloway, this is a political call and I am calling from the Republican National Committee.
ME: You know, I don't like your attitude. You're rude and ...

~CLICK!! she hung up.

So Tom, it goes both ways. BOTH parties are trying hard to garner votes and voters. The shocker is that the Repubs would hire blacks to cold call here in whitey land so cal. Blacks who obviously have no training on phone skills.

So when it comes to whoring for votes, I'd have to say so far this year the repubs get my vote for crack whore vote seeker.

But to be fair, I'm sure I'll get the same exact bullshit call from the dems soon, but they'll use a polite white southern accent voiced chick with good phone skills.

Not that it would matter. I will bend over nekkid in front of DIT before I vote for one of these shit parties again.
^^
Posted just so you know I'm serious. 8)
Last edited by Mister Bushice on Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ang
Jumpin' Little Juke Joint Gal

Post by Ang »

As much as I usually vote along Republican lines, the past election with all the Repub annoying calls actually motivated me to change my vote on a state senator vote to the Democratic candidate.

On a big picture thing, the Republicans seem to look at a positive and strong image, but the grass roots communications at least on the state level here are really nasty, personally negative to their opponents, and fear based on the issues. Then again the Democrats didn't even call me, so I have no idea if they were doing the same. They could have been at least as spiteful and negative, but spared me the experience of hearing over the phone.

Gotta love our country! We get to see it all, read it all, discuss, protest and vote. And all of us get to vote, even those that don't give a shit about what we are talking about. Now that's freedom! I love it. :)
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

Mister Bushice wrote:And where does "rehabilitation" fit into the picture? If you do a crime and do the time, should you continue to be punished for the rest of your life in other ways such as not being allowed to vote ever again?

This is not to say that some states don't take laws against felon voting too far. Some have overly cumbersome procedures for restoring such rights. One could certainly distinguish between nonviolent felons and murderers and rapists. If I sat in a legislature in a state with a lifetime ban, I would probably support restoring the right to vote to those who had completed jail time and parole. I wonder if liberals would similarly back restoration of the right to own a gun to felons who had similarly done their time and finished parole.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Tom In VA wrote:Bullshit. The DNC is a whore for votes, by any means necessary. "A Chicken in Every Pot if you vote for us" is a promise made and never kept. It's simply a ploy for power.
How ironic that "A Chicken in Every Pot" was in fact a REPUBLICAN campaign slogan used during Hoover's 1928 Campaign. Talk about hanging oneself on one's own petard.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously Tom, American history isn't your strong suit.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

BSmack wrote:
Tom In VA wrote:Bullshit. The DNC is a whore for votes, by any means necessary. "A Chicken in Every Pot if you vote for us" is a promise made and never kept. It's simply a ploy for power.
How ironic that "A Chicken in Every Pot" was in fact a REPUBLICAN campaign slogan used during Hoover's 1928 Campaign. Talk about hanging oneself on one's own petard.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously Tom, American history isn't your strong suit.
But American Present is. And you couldn't refute one damn statement in that post.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW: I never said the phrase was coined by the DNC.

You lose.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Tom In VA wrote:But American Present is. And you couldn't refute one damn statement in that post.
You offered nothing to back up your opinion. There was nothing to refute save your implication that the DNC was in the practice of promising poultry for votes.

And I dispatched that misnomer rather nicely.
BTW: I never said the phrase was coined by the DNC.
Yea sure.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

The POP didn't invent Bread and Circuses, either.

But that seems to be all they have to offer.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

BSmack wrote:
Tom In VA wrote:But American Present is. And you couldn't refute one damn statement in that post.
You offered nothing to back up your opinion. There was nothing to refute save your implication that the DNC was in the practice of promising poultry for votes.

And I dispatched that misnomer rather nicely.
In your head you probably did. The liberty for all Americans to pursue economic liberty, and get a Chicken in Every Pot, has been perverted by your party. As have many other issues for which Republicans have been at the lead.

Especially Civil Rights. Your party, has the audacity to claim some sort of leadership on Civil Rights when it was them that attempted to fillbuster it and your party's elder statesmen, Byrd, was a known Klan member.

Unfortunately, you seem to be as deluded as your party.
BSmack wrote:
Tom In VA wrote:BTW: I never said the phrase was coined by the DNC.
Yea.....
Now you're beginning to see the truth.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Letting ex-cons vote? I'm shocked that Liberals allow this. :roll:

The Liberal mindset will be the downfall of this country. They see nothing wrong w/ showing gratuitous violence, nudity and language on TV and believe in giving people 3, 4, 5 chances. The Libs will stop at nothing to gain power including pointing out every little problem w/ the GOP, yet offering nothing in terms of solution.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

I have no problem with letting an ex-con vote or letting an ex-con not vote or whatever. If a stsate wants it to be part of the punishment then fair enoug, if they don't then fair enough. States get to decide the punishment, whether it is voting or not voting, parole or prison or whatever. It is simply the price you pay.

Ideally I would think you could regain your right to vote through some sort of good behaviour review, much like you can shorten your prison term or your parole.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:I have no problem with letting an ex-con vote or letting an ex-con not vote or whatever. If a stsate wants it to be part of the punishment then fair enoug, if they don't then fair enough. States get to decide the punishment, whether it is voting or not voting, parole or prison or whatever. It is simply the price you pay.
Meaning you didn't shank anyone while on parole? :wink:
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

mvscal wrote:
Mister Bushice wrote:And where does "rehabilitation" fit into the picture?
Rehabilitation is a personal commitment. There is nothing the state can or should to rehabilitate an individual.
yet, isn't that what many states claim to do, or actually do?
If you do a crime and do the time, should you continue to be punished for the rest of your life in other ways such as not being allowed to vote ever again?

Some actions are serious enough to have lasting, life long consequences.
Felony crimes are such actions. Those individuals have already demonstrated they are incapable of being responsible members of society and have no business voting on anything....ever.
True. Some crimes, such as first degree murder, would fall into that category, but there are many that do not.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

So you're caught by the feds selling medical marijuana. Unfit to vote?

Or Murder when you kill someone who enters your home to rob you?

Unfit?

There are exceptions, always exceptions.