Democrat seeks probe of reasons for war.

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

tough love
Agondonter

Democrat seeks probe of reasons for war.

Post by tough love »

WASHINGTON -- A senior House Democrat urged Congress to launch an official inquiry to determine whether President Bush misled the nation about the reasons for toppling Saddam Hussein, as a small, bipartisan group of congressmen proposed Thursday to mandate that the U.S. begin drawing down its troops in Iraq by October next year.

The developments came as the bill for the war continued to grow, with the House debating a measure that would provide an additional $45 billion for military operations in Iraq as well as Afghanistan. That would come on top of the $350 billion for combat and reconstruction appropriated so far.

Rep. Charles Rangel of New York was among Democratic House members at a forum to air demands that the White House provide more information about what led to the decision to go to war in Iraq.

"Quite frankly, evidence that appears to be building up points to whether or not the president has deliberately misled Congress to make the most important decision a president has to make, going to war," said Rangel, senior Democrat on the House Ways and Means Committee.

Rep. John Conyers of Michigan and other Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee organized the forum to investigate implications in a British document known as the Downing Street memo. The memo refers to meetings by British officials with senior administration officials and says the White House was determined to fix thin evidence about weapons of mass destruction to fit the predetermined policy of ousting Hussein.

Conyers noted statements by Bush in the run-up to invasion that war would be a last resort. "The veracity of those statements has, to put it mildly, come into question," he said.

Conyers delivered petitions signed by 105 members of Congress and about 540,000 signatures sent via e-mail to a security gate at the White House Thursday evening. The petitions urged Bush to thoroughly answer questions about the memo. The group MoveOn PAC helped Conyers collect the signatures.

War decision debated

In the opening hours of the forum, witnesses spoke mainly about their views on the decision to go to war and not the memo, which the Bush administration has dismissed.

"We are having this discussion today because we failed to have it three years ago when we went to war," former Ambassador Joseph Wilson said.

Wilson wrote a 2003 newspaper opinion piece criticizing the Bush administration's claim that Iraq had sought uranium in Niger. After the piece appeared, someone in the Bush administration leaked the identity of Wilson's wife as a CIA operative, exposing her cover

Wilson has said he believes the leak was retaliation.

The Downing Street memo states the "intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy," recounting a July 23, 2002, meeting of Prime Minister Tony Blair and his national security team. The meeting took place after British officials returned from Washington.

U.S. officials and Blair deny the assertion about intelligence and facts being "fixed," a comment that the memo attributes to the chief of British intelligence at the time.

Meanwhile, with polls showing public support for the war and the Bush administration falling, two Republican and two Democratic congressmen introduced a resolution that would require the president to announce by year's end a plan for withdrawing troops.

It is the first such resolution by lawmakers from both parties, although most Democrats and six House Republicans voted in 2002 against sending troops to Iraq.

While many Democrats and some Republicans repeatedly have voted against continued funding for the war, there has been no concerted joint effort before to bring troops home.

A low-water mark of 41 percent of adults said in an Associated Press-Ipsos poll this month that they supported Bush's handling of the war in Iraq. And a Gallup poll released Monday found that 6 in 10 Americans say they think the United States should withdraw some or all of its troops from Iraq.

Among the resolution's sponsors are Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.), who voted for the Iraq war but now says the United States has done what it can in Iraq and the reason for going to war--Hussein's alleged possession of weapons of mass destruction--has been proved false.

"After 1,700 deaths, over 12,000 wounded and $200 billion spent, we believe it is time to have this debate and discussion on this resolution," Jones said.
----------------

I reacon some truths just wont stay hidden under the carpet.
the Bush administration leaked the identity of Wilson's wife as a CIA operative, exposing her cover
That in itself, was reason enough to put Bu$h out of your misery.

Again: History will not Bode well for your Mr. Bu$h Corp.
Am I wrong...God, I hope so.
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

1) There was no misleading, at all.

2) The Downing Street Memo is the opinion of a British official of the opinion of an American official re: President Bush's opinion on intelligence.

3) Democrats can eat a dick. The American people are quickly realizing the strong anti-American streak through that Party.
Variable
Untitled

Post by Variable »

All this is, is more payback for Clinton.

"You impeached our guy, so we're going to impeach your guy."

That's okay, though. It's always the retaliation that looks ten times worse. Thank God they're all too stupid to realize that.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

mv wrote:
She wasn't undercover, dumbfuck.
And she never can be undercover again.

Why you would compromise your integrity over that bush league act of treason is anyones quess, Shallow Man.

How do you live with yourself?
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

^
Of course her cover was spilt for a reason.
I'm just not getting you supporting the despicable reason.

Dishonorable.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

tough love wrote:^
Of course her cover was spilt for a reason.
I'm just not getting you supporting the despicable reason.

Dishonorable.
You don't get it? He's a Republican. He's just supporting his "team".
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

DrDetroit wrote:3) Democrats can eat a dick. The American people are quickly realizing the strong anti-American streak through that Party.
Or, at least they may as soon as that rises to the top of the talking point list.

The public is not supporting this war much. Few things are more American than fickle voters.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

DrDetroit wrote:3) Democrats can eat a dick. The American people are quickly realizing the strong anti-American streak through that Party.
The American people will soon realize the who-gives-a-shit-about America/pro-greed streak that runs through the repugnantcan party.

Right, Duke Cunningham (R)?

BTW.....if the media is so liberal, why has this story received no media play outside of San Diego?
Variable
Untitled

Post by Variable »

BTW.....if the media is so liberal, why has this story received no media play outside of San Diego?
I'm sorry, who? It'll make the national news the second someone outside of San Diego knows who the fuck he is.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Variable wrote:
I'm sorry, who? It'll make the national news the second someone outside of San Diego knows who the fuck he is.
Lots of people know who he is. Just because you don't doesn't mean that nobody else does. It just means you need to pick up a newspaper every once in a while.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

BSmack Wrote:
You don't get it? He's a Republican. He's just supporting his "team".
I understand supporting the team, but not the - no matter what part.
I'm not getting why mv would be just another lemming when he could be a lion.
Of all the clone_uglies here, mv's the guy I thought who could free himself from the axis of ego's when honor is at stake.
I'm just surprised that he would support such crapulation just because the sick fuckers who did it appear (pretend) to wear the same colors as him.
I guess I was wrong to expect him to settle for more.

It's just sad to see a decent guy sell himself out like that.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

Bizzarofelice wrote: The public is not supporting this war much. Few things are more American than fickle voters.
so the pub_uglies gain only three more seats in the senate during midterm election?

liberal ideals are not resonating with the "fickle voters" of late* bace.

*last 8 elections
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

bbqjones wrote:liberal ideals are not resonating with the "fickle voters" of late* bace.
We'll see. Maybe "liberal" ideals like "this war sucks" might resonate with the voters. Repubs were able to hype gay marriage this past election, maybe this time around people will vote on things like the economy.
why is my neighborhood on fire