Electric Powered Flight

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Electric Powered Flight

Post by Left Seater »

Harbour Air in Vancouver BC flew a short flight today in a DH2-Beaver powered by batteries. This is a pretty cool first flight. They expect commercial operation in 2021. This works for Harbour Air because of the extremely short duration of most of their flights. The range of these planes is going to be 30 minutes or so which will limit the distance of these flights to less than 70 miles.

There are advantages and disadvantages to using battery power for their power. The advantages are easier maintenance of the power plant, reduced fuel costs, lower overhaul costs and less hassle from the environmentalist. The disadvantages are an exponential reduction in range, payload restrictions, longer time between dispatch to charge batteries, costs of retraining A&P employees, FAA certification issues and keeping salt water and batteries apart at all times when operating from floating docks and platforms, which is all Harbour Air’s operations.

However, if they can pull this off they will have a nice little niche which can serve them and their customers well. Other operators of extremely short flights will be watching as well.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 72566.html
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: Electric Powered Flight

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Is there any military utility to this?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

I mean I am sure there is, but it is years off. As with most green energy things the batteries are the weak link.

The biggest drawback is the lack of payload and range due to the size and weight of the batteries. Plus air to air refueling isn’t currently possible. Some sort of rapid charge would need to be developed such that batteries could be fully charged in a short period of time. Also you can’t increase the payload by limiting the fuel. In a traditional aircraft you can trade fuel weight for payload weight. But with batteries they don’t lose weight as they discharge in any meaningful way.

Further, right now this only works with helicopters or propeller aircraft.

But I am sure there are plenty of people working on this for military uses.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Good point. At this point, this is still probably way more expensive per flight hour than a equivalent UAV because this aircraft is manned, right?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Yes and yes. Plus this does not have nearly the loitering time of current UAVs.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

But then you don’t know jack fucking SHIT about physics, or so of course you would think that you shit slinging retard.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:08 am Is there any military utility to this?
Yes, with drones.

I could see it being used by special forces as well for getting small numbers into a place quietly.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Except it isn’t quiet. The propellers still make a ton of noise as they move thru the air.

Think about a heavy helicopter approaching you. You heat the thump of the rotors long before you hear any engine noise.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:26 am I've said this before, but if you take a look at batteries now as compared to 50 years ago, there has basically been not jack fucking SHIT as far as improvement goes. You'd figure in comparison to the technological advancements in other somewhat similar fields that we'd have batteries the size of a quarter that could power a car for a 1,000 mile range by now.

No.
If you really look at it there’s been huge progress. And more to come.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Yes, helos are noisy. I was thinking more fixed wing. Also, helos are terribly inefficient, so given electric's range issues, rotary wing would be pretty much ruled out.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:56 pm
Papa Willie wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:26 am I've said this before, but if you take a look at batteries now as compared to 50 years ago, there has basically been not jack fucking SHIT as far as improvement goes. You'd figure in comparison to the technological advancements in other somewhat similar fields that we'd have batteries the size of a quarter that could power a car for a 1,000 mile range by now.

No.
There has been considerable progress, but they still can't get anywhere near the power/weight numbers of fossil fuels.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Left Seater wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:32 am I mean I am sure there is, but it is years off. As with most green energy things the batteries are the weak link.

The biggest drawback is the lack of payload and range due to the size and weight of the batteries. Plus air to air refueling isn’t currently possible. Some sort of rapid charge would need to be developed such that batteries could be fully charged in a short period of time. Also you can’t increase the payload by limiting the fuel. In a traditional aircraft you can trade fuel weight for payload weight. But with batteries they don’t lose weight as they discharge in any meaningful way.

Further, right now this only works with helicopters or propeller aircraft.

But I am sure there are plenty of people working on this for military uses.
For military application they would probably have to go to interchangeable batteries. Use one up, return to base and swap it quickly for a fully charged replacement. That was actually the original plan for the Model S. Not sure what happened there.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I have always thought that quick change packs for auto applications would be a thing, but likely isn't for a few reasons.

It adds weight and cost to an already heavy expensive system.

The pack would be heavy. Swaps would be difficult.

Running large amounts of current through plugs is a recipe for meltdown. A fixed system can have soldered connections or at least bolted connections with plenty of dope on them.

And no, not that type of dope, you dopes. The kind that is used to improve electrical connections, by inhibiting corrosion.

The magic bullet will be in the form of economical, high energy density, very quick recharge batteries. Not being prone to catastrophic failure turning them into incendiary grenades would be kinda nice, too.

We are not there. Not even close. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

As for long distance air travel, I seriously doubt anything will ever touch the jet engine. It's combination of simplicity, reliability, power to weight, low maintenance requirements can't be touched, by anything. Batteries will never come close, unless someone figures out how to change the laws of physics/chemistry.

And the fact that air travel will always rely on oil, is the primary reason why we should look for alternatives to power everything else, not AGW silliness.

20 years ago, that was the thinking, but those evil oilmen figured out new ways to get oil, making the "we're gonna run out in 30 years" argument a shitty one.

We will still eventually run low on oil, but it will not likely be in our lifetimes. And when you need a bogeyman, it has to be a bogeyman that will wipe his dick on humankind's curtains in the near future as the CO2 bogeyman will.....allegedly.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Post by Innocent Bystander »

smackaholic wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:33 pm
As for long distance air travel, I seriously doubt anything will ever touch the jet engine. It's combination of simplicity, reliability, power to weight, low maintenance requirements can't be touched, by anything. Batteries will never come close, unless someone figures out how to change the laws of physics/chemistry.
Revisiting zeppelins for the past.

MIT ZeroN (anti-grav) for the future.

Don't have to change the laws, just understand them. And when we don't understand them, manipulate them anyway until we do.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

These are actually both things that I think are perfectly viable. We should be using maglev trains, for the Northeast corridor, anyway. And I read an article not long ago about the idea of using zeppelins for cargo. Sounded like a pretty good idea.

But neither of these can provide quick travel between distant points, especially over water.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Papa Willie wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:53 pm
No. How much longer does an AA battery last now as opposed to in 1971? Apply that to all batteries that were around back then.
Lithium Ion.
The comparison to alkaline charged batteries isn't even close.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mikey wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:56 pm

No.
No. How much longer does an AA battery last now as opposed to in 1971? Apply that to all batteries that were around back then.
There are a lot of batteries now that weren’t around “back then.”

Your comparison is like saying that since the dial phone hasn’t progressed since 1970 then telephones haven’t advanced at all.
The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

Shlomart Ben Yisrael wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:57 pm
Lithium Ion.
The comparison to alkaline charged batteries isn't even close.

Go easy on him. He's from Georgia and they don't have those yet.
EAP wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:39 am The STATE has all the answers
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

He really is a fat dumb melting fuck.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Are we including hydrogen fuel cells in the battery category?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Shlomart Ben Yisrael wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:36 pm Are we including hydrogen fuel cells in the battery category?
I would hope so.

Sin,
Francis Thomas Bacon
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Shlomart Ben Yisrael wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:36 pm Are we including hydrogen fuel cells in the battery category?
No, but they’re probably more suited for longer electric powered flights due to the higher energy density of hydrogen over any current battery technology.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Kierland wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:52 pm
I would hope so.

Sin,
Francis Thomas Bacon
Is he from Macon?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Mikey wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:48 pm
No, but they’re probably more suited for longer electric powered flights due to the higher energy density of hydrogen over any current battery technology.
What size fuckin battery is needed to power four big hungry ass rolls royce jet engines?
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

I'ma be lettin' Dins off the leash in 5...4...3...2...1...

Why don’t you just STFU.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Air speed record 1976- 2,193 mph
Air speed record today- 2,193 mph

You really are a fat stupid fuck.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Do you think this guy gets a cheque directly from the Saudis, or maybe they set up a cut-out company to skirt American trade and lobby laws?

:?
Why don’t you just STFU.
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

What about 4 fuckin thirsty gigantic Pratt & Whitney jet engines? Any idea the sheer size battery needed in such an application?
Any engineers on this God-forsaken board? Or just a bunch of wannabe attorneys?
Except for the one real bona-fide attorney 88.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

EAP wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:19 am What about 4 fuckin thirsty gigantic Pratt & Whitney jet engines?
You are thirsty for jizz.

Unfortunately for us, that wasn't the case with your mother.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Papa Willie wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:56 am Oh - don't worry. They'll have battery-powered engines the size of walnuts that will be far more powerful here in just a few days!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Dilithium Crystals.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

EAP wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:19 am What about 4 fuckin thirsty gigantic Pratt & Whitney jet engines? Any idea the sheer size battery needed in such an application?
Wait what?

How are batteries going to power a high bypass turbofan engine. I guess the batteries could spin the fans and compressor stages, but what is going to burn causing the massive expansion of the compressed air?
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Shlomart Ben Yisrael wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:12 am
Papa Willie wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:56 am Oh - don't worry. They'll have battery-powered engines the size of walnuts that will be far more powerful here in just a few days!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Dilithium Crystals.
But how long till then?
How long Scotty? How long?
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Shlomart Ben Yisrael wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:11 am
EAP wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:19 am What about 4 fuckin thirsty gigantic Pratt & Whitney jet engines?
You are thirsty for jizz.

Unfortunately for us, that wasn't the case with your mother.
That's mean. That's just mean.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Kierland wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:08 am Air speed record 1976- 2,193 mph
Air speed record today- 2,193 mph
Why no improvement?
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

There's different categories for craft, Columbia clocked somewhere under 20,000 for a controlled descent :shock:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

How to reduce the energy potential of natural gas by 80%:

Fill a hydrogen fuel cell.

Sure you can bust water open to get hydrogen (which isn't done to fill fuel cells), and get some ridiculously small return for the energy that was put in.

When the Hydrogen Fairy starts filling fuel cells you leave under your pillow, let me know. Otherwise... *YAWN*. Sure, Spray is a moron with his absurd "batteries haven't improved," but had he said it about hydrogen fuel cells, which have been around over 100 years, he'd be spot-on... they haven't really improved an iota... because physics and stuff.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Dr_Phibes wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:11 am There's different categories for craft, Columbia clocked somewhere under 20,000 for a controlled descent :shock:
He is a fat dumb dumb. He thinks planes and gliders and rockets are all the same thing.
EAP
Mr. USA

Post by EAP »

Papa Willie wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:04 pm
Dinsdale wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:19 am

How to reduce the energy potential of natural gas by 80%:

Fill a hydrogen fuel cell.

Sure you can bust water open to get hydrogen (which isn't done to fill fuel cells), and get some ridiculously small return for the energy that was put in.

When the Hydrogen Fairy starts filling fuel cells you leave under your pillow, let me know. Otherwise... *YAWN*. Sure, Spray is a moron with his absurd "batteries haven't improved," but had he said it about hydrogen fuel cells, which have been around over 100 years, he'd be spot-on... they haven't really improved an iota... because physics and stuff.
Nope. You’re dumbassing as well. Afuckinggain, I said “in comparison with other technologies”. Had batteries improved as much as everything else, we should theoretically have batteries that should weigh about 5 lbs. that would enable a Tesla to have a range of about a thousand miles. A single AAA battery should last a solar year in the midget faggot’s dildo getting 5 hours per day usage.

Unless the battery fags come up with something fuckulously mind-bending, batteries will never EVER a power option for commercial aviation for one reason. Weight. Plain and simple.
Which brings me back to my original question.
What fuckin size battery is needed to power 4 gigantic thirsty motherfuckin Pratt and whitney jet engines?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Which brings me back to my original follow up question. How would batteries even work with a high bypass turbofan engine?

:popcorn:
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

The answer is not batteries.
- What do you want to do?
- fly
- what do you really want to do?
- move from point a to point b
- is there a more efficient way to do so?