What did YOU want to be when you grew up?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

What did YOU want to be when you grew up?

Post by Moby Dick »

:?:
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Re: What did YOU want to be when you grew up?

Post by Wolfman »

After high school I got accepted to the University of Maine in forestry. Had thoughts of being a forest ranger, living in the woods and all. Worked one summer for the USFS as a surveyor. Fell in love, messed up in college, dropped out and joined the Army. While serving did some instructor work teaching use of the radios and such. The idea of teaching kicked in. Went back to school and took some education courses. Ended up teaching high school biology and health for 32 years. Wouldn't change a thing.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Wolfman wrote:messed up in college, dropped out
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Wanted to be an engineer. Was a mediocre HS student as studying wasn't a thing, but have always been a good test taker and did well enough on the SAT to get into UConn Engineering school.

The whole not studying thing didn't cut it, so I double secret probationed my way out of there. Did bullshit jobs for 2 years then joined the Navy. Smartest thing I ever did. Been a technician ever since and it's worked out pretty well.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Center fielder
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

I wanted to be a professional sports bettor. Figured it was a good way to watch sports all day. Then later I wanted to be an equipment manager for the Houston Oilers.

Things turned out just fine when those didn’t come to fruition.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

all great replies.

RACK the goodfellas reset.

Me?

My grandpa was a 26 yr Marine Corps vet..everywhere we went they still referred to him as "Gunny G" - He was a Gunnery Sgt with the last name Gonzalez. He'd get up in anyone's ass if they asked if he was mexican. He was a proud Puerto Rican. Dad was in the Navy..had 7 cousins that were military and that's what i wanted to do. Decided against it when i was getting older. Altho..not gonna lie 9/11 had me wanting to enlist (hooray for patriotism right??) Instead went to school for Computer Science / Networking... quit doing that about 3 semesters in and went to the oilfield for insta-money.

Now that the company i work for is takign a big ol shit in Oklahoma, i'm headed back to school to get into Education Administration, I've never wanted to work with kids in my life but as i get older i'd really like to get into mentoring the youth and helping our youngsters out. School scares me. But i've taken enough oil field related calculations classes it shouldnt be too awful.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

So Royal Marine Commando or Marcel Dionne are probably unhelpful at this point :doh:

I think there was a time (or a saying) learn your trade by thirty years old. That's out the window, brave new world. No fears, man.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Forensic Security Consultant

:|
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Moby Dick wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:45 pm My grandpa was a 26 yr Marine Corps vet..everywhere we went they still referred to him as "Gunny G" - He was a Gunnery Sgt with the last name Gonzalez. He'd get up in anyone's ass if they asked if he was mexican. He was a proud Puerto Rican. Dad was in the Navy..had 7 cousins that were military and that's what i wanted to do.
So a bunch of people too stupid to get a real job. Fucking deadbeats.
Ban Kierfag
Elwood

Post by Ban Kierfag »

Kierland wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:18 pm
So a bunch of people too stupid to get a real job. Fucking deadbeats.
You were a coke headed trust fund baby. How far do you get without the $$$ from the trustfund, tiny midget?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Jsc810 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:29 pm
I don't remember having a specific career in mind when I was young, but I do vividly remember what I did not want. My grandparents had a plantation where I worked throughout the years. Hauling hay, working cattle, picking peas, fixing fences, all sorts of things to do to keep the place functioning. And I remember thinking that even though I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do when I grew up, I did know that I wanted it to include air conditioning. Eventually became an attorney, so that goal was met.
Heard that. I worked on a roofing crew one summer, maintenance at a condo one summer, and on a landscaping crew another summer. That was enough to motivate me to stay dedicated to school work. The cash was nice, but as the roofing crew lead said, hey guero, the money here never gets better, you stay in escuela and make some real money.

Dude was a wise man.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Some other summer jobs before graduating from college--- garbage man working for Onondaga Lake Park north of Syracuse, laborer at asphalt plant working for Syracuse DPW making it for the city streets, drill press operator at a manufacturing plant, line worked at the cast iron plating operation at the same plant. All good paying union jobs that helped me get through school. Yes--they did give me the incentive to a career where I wore a shirt and tie. Too bad all too many of the younger kids today do not get those kinds of jobs that teach you the value of hard work and those who do those jobs all their lives.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Wolfman wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:22 pm Some other summer jobs before graduating from college--- garbage man working for Onondaga Lake Park north of Syracuse, laborer at asphalt plant working for Syracuse DPW making it for the city streets, drill press operator at a manufacturing plant, line worked at the cast iron plating operation at the same plant. All good paying union jobs that helped me get through school. Yes--they did give me the incentive to a career where I wore a shirt and tie. Too bad all too many of the younger kids today do not get those kinds of jobs that teach you the value of hard work and those who do those jobs all their lives.
That's because guys like you who benefited from union jobs rail against those same union jobs once you "get yours."
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

The main problem with unions is they are often mandatory for employment. Others require you to pay some fees even if you don’t join. The second issue is they reward time in position rather than ability and/or quality.

All union membership should be 100% voluntary.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Left Seater wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:39 pm The main problem with unions is they are often mandatory for employment. Others require you to pay some fees even if you don’t join. The second issue is they reward time in position rather than ability and/or quality.

All union membership should be 100% voluntary.
You are a broken record. Anyone who has posted here for 30 days knows how much you hate unions. But as Wolftard said he benefited from being in his union and workers benefit from being in unions, despite bad faith efforts from you and your fellow GOP tards.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Unions exploit their members for their leadership’s gain.

Why would anyone who is reasonably motivated agree to be compensated on a schedule that only rewards seniority?

Why are you so against letting each worker decide for him or herself? Never mind you want to dictate what people can and can’t do and unions fit in that model completely.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

I do not recall me "railing" against anything like that. Nice choice of word. At one time I was a card carrying member of the Teamsters and IBEW. I am still a member of the NY State Teachers Union (AFL-CIO) as a retired member for life.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Wolfman wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:53 pm I do not recall me "railing" against anything like that. Nice choice of word. At one time I was a card carrying member of the Teamsters and IBEW. I am still a member of the NY State Teachers Union (AFL-CIO) as a retired member for life.
Ok, I stand corrected. Good for you.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Left Seater wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:47 pm Unions exploit their members for their leadership’s gain.

Why would anyone who is reasonably motivated agree to be compensated on a schedule that only rewards seniority?

Why are you so against letting each worker decide for him or herself? Never mind you want to dictate what people can and can’t do and unions fit in that model completely.
Of course the fat greedy klepto hates the workers banding together, but has no problem with kleptos doing it.