Home Network ?

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Home Network ?

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

OK, so I have a Dell desktop and a wireless ThinkPad. Both have a wireless connection to an access point in my house / are not hard-wired to the cable modem.

A few months back, I mad both join the same workgroup, set certain folders on each to be shared, and I had the two PC's networked together.

Annoying thing was...when I had one machine on, and not the other, it would take forever for My Computer to open, because (I'm assuming) the computer was 'looking for' the other machine and couldn't find it. It annoyed me so much, I un-shared each of the machines' shared folders, moved them to seperate workgroups, etc. Essentially I tried to un-do what I'd done.

Problem is, both appear to still be 'looking for' the other machine.

Any suggestions?
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
DiT
Eternal Scobode

Post by DiT »

they still networked together?
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

no. once my computer finally comes up no network drives or folders show up.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
JKnox
Crack Whore

Post by JKnox »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:no. once my computer finally comes up no network drives or folders show up.
Christ, and you mod this forum? :roll:
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

^^ Sub-GED education ^^
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Here is the deal Jimmah,

Windows networking has nothing to do with my computer. In other words, you shouldn't have any delays opening 'My computer' even if you have the two computers networked. Even with only a 10mb/s network, your 'My Computer' would only think about the network if you had a drive/folder mapped.
So my first advice to you is to make sure that you don't have any network drives/printers mapped to your computers. IF you don't have drives mapped, your 'my computer' should not care if your computer is on the network or not. if you are having problems, its cause of all the stuff you are running on your computers. Onle problem with MS Explorer is that its linked with windows. If windows is slow, MS explorer and IE will be slower. Integrating things is generally good, but MS does it all wrong. If windows is sluggish, IE and Explorer will be slow as well. If IE runs a lot of shit, explorer will be slow as well.

Incidentally, You should review all the stuff running on your computer. Windows will run a lot of extra junk and slow your computer down. For example the MS Office toolbar is slow. So is a lot of other junk running on your Pc.

Use msconfig to shut off unnecessary shit.

-ET
Junkman
Fred Sanford is my Hero

Post by Junkman »

Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Jimmuh, this is a home network.

BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
verbal
nine inch male

Post by verbal »

looks like youre ready for a garage sale
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

I highly doubt it.

Oh...... you must be bagging on those Chinese plastimacated cases I bought when I built those PC's. HAHAHAHAHA!!!! You funny Joe.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

I haven't set up my network since I moved. It consists of 3 PCs and 3 Sun solaris machines plus a few random laptops and junk.

-ET
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

JKnox wrote:
Jimmy Medalions wrote:no. once my computer finally comes up no network drives or folders show up.
Christ, and you mod this forum? :roll:
for pete's sake...what?