To OU fans: Are we cool G?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

To OU fans: Are we cool G?

Post by At Large »

(obscure Family Guy reference in title. By the way if you're not watching it, the question I have to ask is "What in the hell is wrong with you?"

As the season is about the begin, isn't it time that we buried the hatchet and agreed to disagree?

Yes, Callahan was out of line when he yelled "F'ing Hillbillies!" to your crowd regardless of how the crowd may have been acting at the time (booing, thowing stuff).

Callahan yesterday said in a article in the Dailey Oklahoman

And while trudging across Owen Field after a get-it-over-with 30-3 loss at OU, Callahan snapped, “f——— hillbillies.”

Since a few of us in the Sooner State embrace dentistry, and not corn-cob pipes, Callahan’s crack didn’t go over so well. Not even in Nebraska, where Huskerites still hold dear the majesty of those old OU-Nebraska games.

“Frustrating night,” Callahan said Wednesday. “It was a situation where I made an inappropriate comment, for which I apologized. I do sincerely mean that. I didn’t mean to offend the people of Oklahoma. Evidently, I did.

“To Oklahoma’s credit, they are the model of what we want to be.”

Yes, the NU player/Rufnek incident was unfortunate for everyone involved. OU fans were pissed at NU fans for sticking up for their thug player. NU fans were pissed with OU fans for sticking up to the Rufnek that supposedly instigated the assault/accident (depending on your point-of-view). I can understand why both sides of the issue.

Although to put a quick jab in. The argument of "Well they've always been that close and it's never happened before" was pretty weak IMO. That's like say, "Well Tyenol never killed anybody for decades without the sealed bottles and boxes." It was bound to happen.

To jab my own, if NU coaches were annoyed or concerned by how close the rufneks were, maybe they should have voiced their concerns to OU officials instead of grumbling about it, which seemed to cause more tension.

I defended Delone's accused actions during the trial because I honestly felt that he was being railroaded by a few individuals that didn't see the incident but had already made up their minds about it. OU fans (not on this board, but others) glib attitude about Delone's prison prospects and his financial troubles while on trial (they were pleased as punch about it), only fueled my resolve about it.

I don't remember a lot the the exchanges, but the OU fans seemed to think we were encouraging the throwing away a respected rivalry in favor of a crappy coach and a thug player. What OU fan needs to realize is that we are one state/one mind when it comes to our team. We stick together even if we're completely full of shit. I don't think we were this time. Delone got off and Callahan seems humbled by the situation.

With that in mind, I hope that NU can get back to prominence so that we may start a new respected rivalry with the Sooners. CU just isn't cutting it. Obviously, they don't respect us and we don't respect them. We just hate them.

Also, isn't it time we get back to hating the right team: Texas
:P

Which by the way, I work with a Texas fan at my new job here. I asked him why Texas is hated so much. He bewilderedly responded that he honestly didn't know. Funny...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

to me, and i have several good friends who are NU fans--one, especially, i really respect his knowledge of the old Big 8 etc....

i just think it's funny, borderline disingenuous, and seemingly typical of Callahan to publically go on record talking about spending a whole summer educating himself on the history of Cornhusker football.....and then be surprised/offended/horrified by oranges being tossed on the field last year in Norman.

watch footage from the OU-NU game in Lincoln where Jarvis Redwine goes 70+ for a TD on Nebraska's first possession.....and the place is RAINING oranges.

it's a part of Big 8 history--for better or worse. and, as i've read someone's sig-line on one of the OU boards: being called a hillbilly by the coach of a team whose mascot smokes a corncob pipe and wears overalls....is pretty funny.

"Dailey Oklahoman"--that's kind of an interesting typo, btw.

:D
Last edited by King Crimson on Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Sorry at Large but as far as I am concerned on this issue, the ball is in the NU's fans court. I appreciate the sentimental overtones in your post but my disdain for Nebraska, now, is rooted in the actions and manners of their fans on their last trip to Norman. It may just be me but I remember when Huskers and Sooners alike would be sharing their thanksgiving meals at Hotel buffets in Omaha and Lincoln; the two groups were very cordial and even friendly all except one day a year.

That changed drastically last year in Norman. The majority were still classy individuals, but it was a very slim majority. The Nebbish fan base in the two years since our last meeting quickly went from classy to assy, especially the under 35 crowed in Scarlet. Nebraska fans actualy had the nerve on more than one occasion to get pissy with me and other Sooners present because "Bobby is running up the score and that isn't right between these two programs." Fuckin' A did any of those dumb bastards catch any of the games from oh say 1994 to 1997? Getting pissy and calling us classless for laying a 27 point ass whipping on them. Do any of you remember "The Honorable" :roll: Dr. Tom's actions in the post Switzer years? I guess he was trrying to make up for all the years Switzer made him his step child.

Sorry At Large but burrying the hatchet isn't an option for me until the Nebraska fan base returns to being one of the more classy fan bases in America, again. Unitl then I hope we kick the shit out of you and rub you faces in the dirt in the same manner that Dr. Tom did to us in the late 90s.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

So basically because a few NU fans are asses, then you're going to hate them all? Kind of like, because a few minorities commit crimes, then you're going to hate them all?

I'm suggesting burying the hatchet on this board, but if you want to be pissy about it, you can certainly stay on the I'm Pissy with NU fans bandwagon. No skin off my back.

I'm putting you down on the list:

OU fans that still hate NU fans:
Sun Coast Sooner

Gotcha...
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

At Large wrote:So basically because a few NU fans are asses, then you're going to hate them all? Kind of like, because a few minorities commit crimes, then you're going to hate them all?
No just about 45% percent of them are asses, but, yeah basically that's it. The ass clowns are the more vocal minority.
I'm suggesting burying the hatchet on this board, but if you want to be pissy about it, you can certainly stay on the I'm Pissy with NU fans bandwagon. No skin off my back.
I never realized there was any problem on this board between the OU and Nebbish fans. I don't dislike you, enjoy reading your posts you obviously aren't one of the idiots on Huskerpedophile or deadout. Even if I did it's a damn message board and as you said no skin off your back. I was talking about the fan bases in general.
I'm putting you down on the list:

OU fans that still hate NU fans:
Sun Coast Sooner

Gotcha...
Close, I don't still hate them, my hatred was born just recently, in the last year. Plenty of time for the Huskers to prove that the fans at the game in Norman last year were just an anomoly.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

SunCoastSooner wrote:The ass clowns are the more vocal minority.
That's a fairly apt description for any team, no? I mean, my favorite --- insert team here --- fans have got to be the mensas who not only listen on a daily basis, but regularly call talk radio shows, wear their gear year-round and start talking shit to anybody within earshot after about two beers about how their team is gonna "kick ass" this year despite the fact that 99 percent of them have never spent any time on the campus in which they have devoted years of their loyalty, much less attended school or have a degree.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

my question is this: At Large: did you or did you not recently post that the OU-NU rivalry meant almost nothing to you? I remember you did.

because kicking OU out of the stadium was no special deal in the mid-late 90's. OU lost to Tulsa and went winless at home in 96....

i'm curious about your motivation here.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

I don't recall that I said it meant nothing. I think I said that it was great in its time, but it's over, so get over it. You guys seemed to be holding onto a rivalry that was still there, but in my mind, it had already passed because it was great because both teams were great. Both teams aren't great right now, obviously...

My motivation was that I was hoping that the bad blood over the past year didn't continue. Maybe that wasn't apparent.

To put it simply, there were some articles about NU for Big 12 media day, I started reflecting, I posted this topic, so here we are. We can debate the assness of NU fans all day because I can come up with some pretty convincing examples about OU fans being asses. I was just testing the waters to see if bad blood would continue on this board this season because you guys are right, we always respected one another.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

there's no doubt many OU fans are morons.

but the bad blood comes from your coach.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

I'm sick of hearing about last year's game, the crap is over, time to move-on. Besides, sooners shmooners, we need to start winning the border-war with KSU again before worrying about the traditional rival. KSU is within the north division, it's a very winnable game in Lincoln, and we have sucked of-late against them. The OU game will mean more to me when we can field a team that can acttually beat OU.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

I think you nailed it. Last year was the first time in ages when NU entered the game unranked and it was a weird feeling of ... (making sound of indifference). Frankly, college football in general has lost of lot of passion for me these past years because before, if I watched a game and someone lost, I'd look at standings and rankings to see where NU fit. That changed after 2002. It's something I'll have to get used to, but hopefully not for too long.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

So it doesn't matter now that it is Nebraska that sucks monkey cock. I see :roll:. It sure was still a rivalry in '97 though :roll:
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

SunCoastSooner wrote:So it doesn't matter now that it is Nebraska that sucks monkey cock. I see :roll:. It sure was still a rivalry in '97 though :roll:
Well, not really. I think it stopped being a great rivalry when OU sucked, too. I've argued this to death, but to sum up.

1. OU started to suck so the mystique of the rivalry wore off
2. The Big 12 killed it by rotating it every two years

I just said that last year's game was very surreal for me because of the lows that NU had sunk. The game will never be a great rivalry again until the Big 12 makes it an every year game. My feelings. Don't care if you agree.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

RadioFan wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:The ass clowns are the more vocal minority.
That's a fairly apt description for any team, no? I mean, my favorite --- insert team here --- fans have got to be the mensas who not only listen on a daily basis, but regularly call talk radio shows, wear their gear year-round and start talking shit to anybody within earshot after about two beers about how their team is gonna "kick ass" this year despite the fact that 99 percent of them have never spent any time on the campus in which they have devoted years of their loyalty, much less attended school or have a degree.
Not all fan bases are like that. I think that most fan bases who have actualy attended the school or can afford to go to the games (atleast with major programs) can be pretty clasy. There are exceptions to this rule though such as the LSU, Colorado, or Mississippi State fan bases which are pretty void of any sense of class or manners.

I think alot of that has to do with you still living in Oklahoma Radio. I've found that most of the fellow Sooners I come in contact with outside of Oklahoma are pretty good peoples.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

King Crimson wrote:there's no doubt many OU fans are morons.

but the bad blood comes from your coach.
I would imagine this is based on the "f#*king hillbillys" comment.

I don't know what the local fishwraps in Oklahoma wrote but he (Callahan) did offer his apologies at the Big XII conference meetings with; "It was a frustrating night. Personnally I made an inappropiate comment that I would like to apologize for. I did not mean any offense to the people of Oklahoma. I apologize for that."

I suppose this is unacceptable to many fans because he did what he did when he did it. But he seems sincere and I'd venture to say that behavior won't show again anytime soon, especially against OU.

He came in cocky last year and said some things he shouldn't have. "We don't take what the defense gives us, we take what we want."
I don't know what team he was talking about, but it wasn't his.

He was MUCH more subdued this year and he has clearly recieved a dose of reality. He virtually is invisible with the media here, at least at this time. He takes very few interviews. (Him and his staff are working their asses off recruiting.)

To comment on the thread, I truly believe it's easy to be a gracious fan when your team has been kicking everyones ass for years and years.
Frustration and the euphoria of beating someone who's made you their bitch for 3 or 4 season's causes fans to "want to remind" the opponent that that shit has just ended. (See Colorado fan.)
Believe it or not, winning gets boring against the same team year in and year out.

I want nothing more than to beat Iowa St., Colorado, and Kansas St. this fall. ( Oh, except to beat Oklahoma.) Ten years ago it was a given. So now I have venom for them. Makes it interesting. Fires you up and you want to be sure and remind them "they suck" once again. In your face stuff for the younger generation I guess. I suppose this causes what where normally subdued fans to become bolsterous.
Trust me, the generation has changed from what was the Osborne/Devaney/Switzer era.

So has the fan base.

But not me. :wink:
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

forgive me for not being too convinced by Callahan's new mood of contrition. as recently as the Spring he was still making "clever" snide remarks about Oklahoma--referring to the Oklahoma Drill as coming from his (wink wink) "favorite" school.

the guy has never won anything. never had a D-1 winning season. never been to a bowl game. never beat CU or Oklahoma. yet, he's supposed to be convincing when he runs his mouth?

He may turn out to be the second coming of Bear Bryant but until he does *something*.....he seems like a jackass to me.

and if i were a Husker fan, i'd be sort of curious why the guy NEVER talks about the defense. because the Blackshirts are pretty mediocre with a very average D coordinator.
"
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

King Crimson wrote:forgive me for not being too convinced by Callahan's new mood of contrition. as recently as the Spring he was still making "clever" snide remarks about Oklahoma--referring to the Oklahoma Drill as coming from his (wink wink) "favorite" school.
Remarks? That was the ONLY time he refered to Oklahoma all spring, and he did it for a laugh FOR the media. In case you didn't see the video you could tell (well I felt) it was directed at himself as "that wasn't a good idea to make that comment back in Norman."

As recent as last week a player mentioned the drill as a matter-of-fact. So it's something they did and apparently will continue to do.
and if i were a Husker fan, i'd be sort of curious why the guy NEVER talks about the defense. because the Blackshirts are pretty mediocre with a very average D coordinator.
Totally agree with this. Cosgrove needs to make strides real soon or I'll be pissed. That secondary will have issues due to lack of talent. So he may get a slight mulligan in that area.

One thing Oklahoma fan needs to remember is you're playing with much bettter talent and that makes a coach look pretty damn genius most of the time. Yeah, yeah Texas but I did say MOST of the time.
I gotta give the staff a chance with their players. Solich didn't do shit at recruiting and that's been a large part of our problem.

I'm on record on this board as a very skeptic fan. I agree he needs to win and then he can do all the chest thumpin' he feels compelled.
My point was I can see a noticable difference from his demeanor of cock- sure last year, to not so, this year.
I believe the vibes from the fans sitting at home this past winter slapped him in the face more than once and he realized he is no longer dealing with the Oakland Raider mentality.

The "that was just one game and this is just one season" after the Colorado game is the one that chapped my ass. That told me more about him not understanding the people of this state than anything he's said or done.

I gotta believe the message was sent loud and clear those things don't work with these "hillbilly's."
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Froz says it succinctly and that's 100% where i'm at.

cornhusker: "remarks" plural was just sloppy writing on my part--i meant only to refer to that one statement vs. the new apologetic Bill. as for it being tongue-in-cheek or self-reflexive as an admission....i can't say.
"
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

King Crimson wrote:forgive me for not being too convinced by Callahan's new mood of contrition. as recently as the Spring he was still making "clever" snide remarks about Oklahoma--referring to the Oklahoma Drill as coming from his (wink wink) "favorite" school.

the guy has never won anything. never had a D-1 winning season. never been to a bowl game. never beat CU or Oklahoma. yet, he's supposed to be convincing when he runs his mouth?

He may turn out to be the second coming of Bear Bryant but until he does *something*.....he seems like a jackass to me.

I think that once he has the right guys Callahan's offense will roll but I do worry about our defensive hires. The can recuit bigtime but can they coach a top-quality D? Cosgrove seemed like a real cronie-hire at the time and he still does. He did have some kick-ass D's at Wiscy but the majority were nothing special, his blitz/coverage schemes were just too easily read last year. Hopefully our more zone-oriented approach works this year. I am still astonished that Callahan dumped an incredible db-coach in Sanders(now North Carolina DC) to bring in a nomad with no interpersonal skills like Elmassian. Considering he let what was a quality secondary go to crap and was heavily involved in game-planning last year he has much to prove. Busch's linebackers were fairly "meh" and his special teams sucked ass. He needs to show something as well. Blake is an absolute KILLER recruiter and he has d-line coached successfully at the NFL level(ya he sucked at OU but we didn't hire him to be HC). So far he seems like the only overall quality hire on that side of the ball.

As our talent grows, coaches gel, and kids "buy-in" to the system more our D will improve, it will definitely become more solid. But considering what Bo and company did in their first year together I just know we could have done better for defensive hires.

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Danimal wrote:

I think that once he has the right guys Callahan's offense will roll but I do worry about our defensive hires. The can recuit bigtime but can they coach a top-quality D? Cosgrove seemed like a real cronie-hire at the time and he still does. He did have some kick-ass D's at Wiscy but the majority were nothing special, his blitz/coverage schemes were just too easily read last year. Hopefully our more zone-oriented approach works this year. I am still astonished that Callahan dumped an incredible db-coach in Sanders(now North Carolina DC) to bring in a nomad with no interpersonal skills like Elmassian. Considering he let what was a quality secondary go to crap and was heavily involved in game-planning last year he has much to prove. Busch's linebackers were fairly "meh" and his special teams sucked ass. He needs to show something as well. Blake is an absolute KILLER recruiter and he has d-line coached successfully at the NFL level(ya he sucked at OU but we didn't hire him to be HC). So far he seems like the only overall quality hire on that side of the ball.

As our talent grows, coaches gel, and kids "buy-in" to the system more our D will improve, it will definitely become more solid. But considering what Bo and company did in their first year together I just know we could have done better for defensive hires.

I agree with the opinion of John Blake. Man was never meant to be a HC but he is one hell of a DLine coach and has proven it, even at OU. The only bright spot on the entire team wgile under Blake was the DLine play. The Dline probably carried us in the wins over Louisville and Syracuse. Man can also relate to High school kids and parents well and can get them on campus excedingly well.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Blake is the only defensive coach we have I could give a rat's ass about losing. Nice to see an OU-guy give him some props. He is good at what we brought him in to do, recruit and coach d-line. His fiasco as an HC is yet another testament to the problem of crony-hires, Switzer was instrumental in Blake getting that job and that support came much more from his heart (supporting a buddy) than his head (supporting the right coach).
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Danimal, pleade keep posting and thank you.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

Believe the Heupel wrote:For the record, I have no problem with Nebraska as a program, nor do I have a problem with Nebraska fans. I think Callahan's a jackass, and I think you'll end up agreeing with me by the end of his likely-short tenure as your head coach. However, I hope that Nebraska gets back to the level we're accustomed to seeing them at, and does it faster than we did.
WuRd
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

Who is that asshole to the right of Switzer? :wink:
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Memo to Dr. Tom, they have these things out now called sunglasses that allow you to be out in the sun without squinting all the time, all the hep-kats are wearing them. Check into it.