Cali Fires 2018

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Re: Cali Fires 2018

Post by Wolfman »

Maybe they can conscript the caravan and send them up to put out the fires.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Nothing anywhere near here but the conditions this morning were eerily similar to when we had the Lilac Fire last December. The Santa Ana is supposed to die down by tomorrow, though.

If anything does break out, though, I'm counting on our blue wave to drown it in a flood of love and good intentions.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

One thing about the Santa Ana conditions is that they bring very clear skies, at least until the smoke arrives.

This is dawn from my front porch this morning. Notice Venus in the U&L...

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:
Mikey wrote: Notice Penus in the U&L...
Sorry bud. Too easy.
You talking about Duhron, or Dinsdale?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Shit getting serious now.

Rich folks' homes gettin' burned in Malibu.
Caitlyn Jenner’s Malibu Home Burns Down In Southern California’s Raging Wildfires

Caitlyn Jenner’s Malibu home has unfortunately burned down in the horrific Woolsey fire raging through Southern California. We have more details here.

Caitlyn Jenner has unfortunately become a victim of the horrific fire in Los Angeles, according to TMZ. The reality star’s beautiful home in the Malibu Hills was destroyed in the Woolsey fire, which is burning out of control. The house, which was featured in her show, I Am Cait, sat on top of a ridge overlooking the Malibu beach area; it was engulfed in flames as the wildfire moved through the area. Luckily, Caitlyn is safe (watch the video below). This isn’t the first time a natural disaster threatened her home. High powered winds tore the roof off her home in 2017.

https://hollywoodlife.com/2018/11/09/ca ... re-malibu/
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Fuck Malibu. That is urban renewal.

The Camp Fire in Butte County burned a town of 30,000 people out. Over 6,000 homes burned and many commercial buildings. Listening to that day on the radio was some crazy shit.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

schmick wrote:Gov Brown vetoed a bi-partisan bill last year that would have allowed local municipalities to manage their area to help keep these fires from becoming so massive because Brown wanted to be able to blame these fires on President Trump and Global Warming
Link?

As usualm you have no idea what you’re talking about.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:
schmick wrote:Gov Brown vetoed a bi-partisan bill last year that would have allowed local municipalities to manage their area to help keep these fires from becoming so massive because Brown wanted to be able to blame these fires on President Trump and Global Warming
Link?

No idea if moonbeam vetoes anything, BUT, there is no excuse for out of control fires in developed areas.

You fukking idiots need to take measures to prevent it and stop blaming AGW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

All of Cali has been prone to such fires forever. Why did these areas not burn down years ago?

I suspect they didn’t because they used to take preventive measures. But when you have a massive underclass and high speed rail to build, things like this get pushed aside.

Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Mikey wrote:
Link?

He is probably taking about SB 1463.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Kierland wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Link?

He is probably taking about SB 1463.
That's what I assume. But it had nothing to do with what he's saying it was, except that it was related to fires.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote:All of Cali has been prone to such fires forever. Why did these areas not burn down years ago?

I suspect they didn’t because they used to take preventive measures. But when you have a massive underclass and high speed rail to build, things like this get pushed aside.

You're about as well informed as Shitdick from Riverside.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Nothing he ever says relates to facts or real life or anything of the sort.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

smackaholic wrote:All of Cali has been prone to such fires forever. Why did these areas not burn down years ago?

"Preventative measures?"

Would that be like seeding clouds to rain so that they would get as much precipitation as they used to?

You know as much about the California environment & forest management as you do about landscaping.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

What was in SB1463? Was it actually supported by both parties?
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

88 wrote:This sucks. And it looks like the suck is going to continue for a while. Good luck, Cali trolls.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11/09/ ... nksgiving/
Not looking good. The wind picked up today around here and now we are under a red flag warning, at least until Wednesday night. If the wind picks up more than it already has I'll probably be staying home from work tomorrow to monitor the situation.

SB1463, while it did involve cities managing some aspects of fire prevention, was mainly about the utilities and their overhead power lines, which seem to be the immediate cause of a lot of these fires starting. What they really need to do is force the utilities to put their lines underground.

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilo ... story.html
Gov. Jerry Brown on Saturday vetoed a bill spearheaded by Laguna Beach Councilman Bob Whalen that would have required the state to identify areas most at risk of wildfires caused by overhead utility wires.

SB 1463, authored by state Sen. John Moorlach (R-Costa Mesa), also would have required the California Public Utilities Commission and the state Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, or Cal Fire, to identify steps that cities must take to prevent fires from overhead electrical equipment, according to the bill.

In a written statement explaining his decision, Brown said a process that began in May 2015 with the utilities commission and Cal Fire is already in place for addressing issues present in SB 1463. The two groups examine fire-threat maps and fire safety regulations on areas with overhead utilities facilities, he wrote.

"This deliberative process should continue, and the issues this bill seeks to address should be raised in that forum," Brown said.

"Clearly, this is a major disappointment to the city and the other cities and counties that had stepped forward to endorse the bill," Whalen said in a statement. "This bill would have provided important direction to the [commission] in its current regulatory process concerning fire safety and overhead utility lines."

Whalen said he remains undeterred.

"We will continue to press the [commission] to hold the utilities accountable for fire safety in areas like Laguna Beach," he said.

Laguna Beach has experienced four fires sparked by utility lines in the last 10 years, the most recent on July3, 2015, in Laguna Canyon.
The entire regulated utility structure in this state is completely fucked up. The three major IOUs (investor owned utilities) are PG&E, SCE and SDG&E. There are also a number of Municipal (Publicly Owned) Utilities, the largest of which are Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) and Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD), plus dozens of smaller ones.

The IOUs, being "investor owned" are profit oriented and naturally averse to spending any more than they have to on safety or reliability. Lately, though, they've been hit with a lot of damages because of their poor maintenance of their infrastructure, including power lines and in SCE's case the failure of San Onofre. They constantly lobby to pass all of these liabilities to the rate payers, while protecting their shareholders from any loss of equity or profit. One of the reasons we have the highest rates in the lower 48. Costs that arise due to management ineptitude should be covered by the shareholders, not the ratepayers who have no say in company policy.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Left Seater wrote:What was in SB1463? Was it actually supported by both parties?
The only person that “voted” against it was Gov Moonbeam.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Because there is now years of floor fuels, flash fuels and 1 hour fuels that have built up since the last time the area burned, and those combined with extreme fire behavior due to wind, humidity and terrain. When all those combine you have what happened in Paradise CA. You build in the forest, shrub / scrub and savannas areas that is the chance you take. People need to be responsible and have their own defensive space in place. But when the wind hits 50, humidity is 10% and the power lines get together nothing is going to stop it.
Derron
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Some fires (and floods for that matter) are caused by humans, at least according to Smokey the Bear.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Mikey wrote: The IOUs, being "investor owned" are profit oriented and naturally averse to spending any more than they have to on safety or reliability. Lately, though, they've been hit with a lot of damages because of their poor maintenance of their infrastructure, including power lines and in SCE's case the failure of San Onofre. They constantly lobby to pass all of these liabilities to the rate payers, while protecting their shareholders from any loss of equity or profit. One of the reasons we have the highest rates in the lower 48. Costs that arise due to management ineptitude should be covered by the shareholders, not the ratepayers who have no say in company policy.
I would think that the insurance companies would want to stop the utilities from causing these fires. In Paradise they lost 6,435 homes at this count and 260 commercial buildings. Well over 2 billion in property lost. Because the utilities did not want to maintain the lines.

I am on a public utility and they have excellent infrastructure and my rates are lower than a bunch of the other houses in this rural residential area. By about 35% lower. And the fucking power only goes off if they have to do work or a major feeder lines goes bad. The private utility on the other hand, has complete shit for lines and infrastructure and the power goes off all the time. Hell, I had to set battery alarm backups years ago and still do to this day because the fucking power would go off 2 times a day sometimes.

How many insurance adjusters do they have to get into an area to handle that ? They give you stated value for your place, and they have to hope they have some equity and good enough FICO to buy a new house or build there again ?? How long to restore utilities to even build again ?? Take the money and run to Oregon where you can afford to rebuild in some areas anyway ? Great.
Derron
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

As much as I like to bitch about our local utility, I do have to give them credit for this:

https://www.sdgeweather.com/

They've deployed something like 177 remote weather stations around the county and share the data (temperature, RH, wind speed) on this interactive map. Plus detailed data from each station available by cruising down to the "more data" link.

The Engineer's Motto:
You can never have too much data.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:As much as I like to bitch about our local utility, I do have to give them credit for this:

https://www.sdgeweather.com/

They've deployed something like 177 remote weather stations around the county and share the data (temperature, RH, wind speed) on this interactive map. Plus detailed data from each station available by cruising down to the "more data" link.

The Engineer's Motto:
You can never have too much data.
The wind speeds are all made up.

Sincerely,

Papa Willie, T1B Meltyologist
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Hope the winds are down and Mikey is posting from the office.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I was ready to stay home today but it was completely calm this morning at the homestead. Wind started coming up later in the morning at work but the gusts where I live are actually the lowest of any on the map. We might just make it through this without another major fire here.

Really sucks for those poor folks in Paradise, though. Apparently they had actually done a lot to prepare for something like this by creating detailed evacuation plans and doing a lot of awareness stuff. The town is in a logistically very difficult location with only a few ways out. The population apparently has grown from less than 10,000 to almost 30,000 in the past 30 years or so.
Last edited by Mikey on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

Cool map Mikey.
It was blowing pretty good this morning at my place on the coast, relatively speaking. Cleaning out my Redwoods nicely. I'm sure the neighbors yards behind me look like crap :lol:
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Yesterday the orange imbecile opined that the reason for all the wildfires in CA is that the forests need to have all the leaves raked up.

He needs to STFU. He doesn't know shit about anything outside oa a skyscraper!
9/27/22
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Trump before visiting the CA fires: "California forest service is to blame, they will receive no federal aid."

Trump after visiting the CA fires: "Very sad, what horrible destruction. CA of course will receive full federal support."

Classic Trump. Ruling with pure emotional hand-wringing.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

He also said we should rake the "forest floors" because Finland does it & has few wildfires.

Who is going to tell him?
9/27/22
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

What most people (including our President) probably don’t know is that 60% of the forest land in CA owned by the Federal Government. 37% is private and 3% state. The Trump administration already cut several hundred million $$ from the National Forest Service. So, if there’s a lack of preparation, whose fault is that?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Also, the Camp fire was (is) mostly not a forest fire. It’s been burning in the foothills of the Sierra, which is mainly dry oak grassland and chaparral. Not forest.
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

I was fighting fires by Paradise two summers ago where a wildfire sprang up from the river up to the edge of town. We were using a man made pond to dip out of which was located on the east side. If you'd asked me before this fire hit, I'd have answered that the burnable materials had been consumed, at least on the east side. Obviously there was plenty left to ignite.

It's unimaginable that by now those missing people wouldn't have contacted somebody-- anybody --to let them know they are alive. As it stands, that means over 300 people burnt to death. What a horrible way to go.
Cock o' the walk, baby!
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

So, FiveThirtyEight has put together some charts and graphs that attempt to explain why the California wildfires are so bad.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... -5-charts/

The gist is this: People are building homes and living closer to and in wilderness areas and AGW is to blame. While we can agree to disagree on the AGW thing, can we at least gain consensus that people who chose to live in or next to untended forested areas are largely responsible for their own safety? That those who chose to reside near volatile and fire-prone land should accept the risk of losing everything, including their own lives, to fire? This applies to hurricane-prone areas, earthquake-prone areas, and everything else.

As to AGW, a one hundred year snapshot of temperatures and rain levels does not convince me of anything. After all, for as small a window as 100 years is, you might as well just make it easy on yourself and just use last year as your basis for jumping to conclusions. At least then the claims of calamity and apocalypse have truly end-of-the-world numbers. Look! The End Times are upon us! Fires are breaking out everywhere! Alas! Woe!

True climate change takes eons, not a mere century.

As for wildfires, just let them burn. It is its own solution.
Cock o' the walk, baby!
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

You add C02 to a plant’s environment and you get more plant. It’s pretty simple science and has nothing to do with MMCC being real or not you stupid fuckhole.
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

So lemme get this straight. If AGW is real, that produces more rain, which in turn produces more vegetation, which then becomes fuel for wildfires. If AGW is a figment of an environmentalist’s fevered imagination, then the droughts in California produce more dry woods, which in turn catch fire.

Do I have that right? Kind of a “heads I win, tails you lose” proposition? You Lefties sure are clever!
Cock o' the walk, baby!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Rooster wrote:So lemme get this straight. If AGW is real, that produces more rain
You’re a fucking iodot.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Rooster wrote:So lemme get this straight. If AGW is real, that produces more rain, which in turn produces more vegetation, which then becomes fuel for wildfires. If AGW is a figment of an environmentalist’s fevered imagination, then the droughts in California produce more dry woods, which in turn catch fire.

Do I have that right?
No you don’t. Like Mikey said, you are and iodiot.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Warming does mean more rain....globe wide. It does not necessarily mean more rain in particular areas, the left coast, obviously being one. At least not this year. I believe they did have a pretty wet winter recently though. And that is likely part of the current problem.

There was a retired climate guy on the radio last year. He was an MIT professor. His take was that yeah, things are warming overall and it will likely be a good thing in the long run as the resulting increase in water vapor, globe wide, will have a tempering effect. Areas near the equator might actually cool a bit, while the southern/northern extremes would warm. The result being an increase in arable land.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Yeah nothing to see here, move along.