thinking about buying a mac

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Screw_Michigan

thinking about buying a mac

Post by Screw_Michigan »

my pc recently called it a career and i'm thinking about buying a mac. macs are all i use at work and i've grown quite accustomed to them over the years, but i still don't know them as well as i know the shit we call windows. the only hangups i have is the lack of accessability with macs compared to pcs (amount of software available, compatibility, etc). another hangup i have is that i have good speakers and a subwoofer that i used with my pc and that i would want to use with my mac, but i have a feeling that will not be possible.

if anyone who has made the transition could fill me in on the pros/cons, i'd appreciate it.
ADAM
still pays, but gets no sex anymore

Post by ADAM »

Big Macs are good but I prefer a Royale' w/ cheese.....
The only right answer to a fool is silence
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

my G-4 is great with
A-1 sauce and some chopped onions !!
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."

Post by Guest »

I use both at work and at home, SM. Assuming you can live without the laundry list of games and don't mind paying a bit more than your average pc, you'll get along swimmingly with an Apple.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I moved your post, because it seems like you wanted a serious reply of sorts.

With your good speakers...can you check compatibility at the manufacturer's website? I'd give the computer itself a bit more consideration than the speakers you'll hook up to it.

It seems to me that if you are pretty dialed in to a specific area of tasks that is suited to the Mac, and you use it at work as well, it makes sense...but if you're just looking for a fat home machine, you will get better bang for your bucks from a PC.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

I have a G4 laptop. Its nice but I don't have a lot of software for it cause I don't use it that much. G5s with the latest OSX Panther OS rock. You will not be playing many games, although a lot of them are now coming out for Macs as well. There are however some neat parts.

OSX is based on Unix so you get a strong OS. It is fully unix compatible so you can find a ton of Opensource programs available for OSX. The mouse still sucks, but other functions of the user interface are nice. The built in services are sweet if you have any need for them. When I do use my G4 laptop, its very stable and works great. Mac has always exceled at Media stuff so if you like working with video, audio or pics, you should be able to find a lot of awesome programs to help you out....for a price.

If you like Apple, either get a G5 desktop or wait until the G5 laptops are out.

-ET
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

I have a G4 Powerbook running OSX/Panther. I bought it in December of 2002 and I still love it. I've used it full time for work since I got it. I have been able to set up development environments (who knew?), I've been running big-time software, I've been doing some programming... it's been so great, 2 of my coworkers bought the exact same machines for themselves. (Another former coworker got a smaller version of this machine, and yet another former coworker is about to get a comparable machine.)

Keep in mind, of those I mentioned who bought identical or similar systems, all of them are involved in areas of software and internet development that are not related to graphic design. These are programmers and network administrators who recognize the superior work environment available on the Mac.

I love this machine and will use it until I upgrade, maybe when the 2nd generation G5 laptops come out. I'm not in any huge hurry, though. This one is still kicking enormous amounts of ass.

Get the Mac.
JKnox
Crack Whore

Post by JKnox »

AOL and Macs are for people that don't know shit about puters'
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

JKnox wrote:AOL and Macs are for people that don't know shit about puters'
try to troll on the main street before you bring your epic (sarcasm) skillz here bud. Actually with OSX, Apples jumped leaps and bounds ahead of windows because its based on unix. In other words, if you become proficient with OSX, you will have some skills to brag about. On the other hand, the beauty of OSX is that it took a unix OS and turned it into an easily usable system for people who do not know all that much. This is something that unix and linux companies have been aiming for and it took Mac no time to come up with one.

I'd also like to point out that the G5 cpu, manufactured by IBM if I remember correctly, is one of the best CPUs out there, ahead of similar intel chips. Its also one of the most popular desktop 64bit chips.

And last but not least. Last year the 3rd fastest computer on the planet was built at Virginia tech, made from the Dual G5 machines. 1100 systems, 2200 cpus, 1gb of ram per cpu initially. It was also one of the fastest built systems and one of the cheapest built systems. As much as I love Dell, IBM, Solaris and Co, none of them have been able to replicate what Apple and Virginia Tech pulled off last year.

-ET