It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Re: The Last Jedi (possible spoiler)

Post by Wolfman »

Not in.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Not bad. I appreciate this review.

I just assume Disney's version is a different timeline, like Abrams version of Trek is a different timeline. It's a canon, but not the canon.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Pretty modest review, schmick.

This movie was about as terrible as any of the three prequel movies, and those were bad. This one might take the cake since it single-handedly managed to take some of the most legendary characters (and original actors) and flush them down the shitter. There was a lot of potential here but as expected, Disney underplayed its hand with regard to storyline and character development and overplayed its hand with everything else.

A few more notes:
- That Snoke guy must've been one helluva villain to rebuild what was left of the Empire after Return of the Jedi. But I guess we're left to never know anything about him, much less care.
- Light speed kamikaze into an enemy ship! Tell me how this tactic wasn't available in the original trilogy? Was the technology better? My gut tells me it was the script writing that got worse.
- Through the whiny mouth of that Asian mechanic, Disney made many feeble attempts to subliminally bring out the hidden SJW in all of its audience. Because if you can't save your human friends from a fiery death, freeing some space-aged animal from its oppressors will more than make up for it.
- Bombers in space? Gravity must apply / not apply on a scene-by-scene basis.
- To think, if force-hologramming was a thing back in the day, Alec Guinness' original Obi-Wan could have saved on airfare and just worked from his desert casa.
- The telepathy angle between Kylo and Rey was the one thing that worked in this movie and the build-up to their meeting should have been the conclusion of this movie. Yet, Disney completely fucked this up and drove this entire plot point off a cliff.
- Which leads to the only big reveal left to be explored in Ep IX: is Karl Marx really that Asian girl's great-grandfather??
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

I’m trying to think of anything that Disney has put out in the past decade that was worth watching and I’m coming up empty. Every animated film now has some minority girl who gets empowered by doing stuff she’s not supposed to and all the males are always doofuses.

Trust Disney to play it safe and go with some pablum in regard to Star Wars and count on the peripherals like toys and fast food tie-ins to multiply the income, because as an organization they have zero risk takers in the creative department.
Cock o' the walk, baby!
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

FUCK ME FOR EVER TAKING LUKE SKYWALKER AND STAR WARS SERIOUS WHEN I WAS A KID.

FUCK Disney.

So many ways they could have had Luke go out...instead it's ANOTHER rinse and repeat of one of the originals. 'Jedi commits force suicide to help people get away"

are you fucking kidding me? they're seriously laughing in our faces with churning out the SAME SHIT. FUCK you disney. And FUCK 6 yr old Moby Dick for loving this franchise.
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

also just read that there's an underlying gay relationship budding between Finn and Poe?

FUCK YOU DISNEY YOU FUCKS.

Phasma deserved a better end as well. In canon that was written before 7 and between 7/8 she's such a badass...and get fucked by a godamn janitor.

Hux FOUNDED the first order...and gets made to look like an idiot.

fucking hot garbage. the ONLY group of people that enjoyed this movie are the "get over it old people" crowd and the folks who have such a hardon for anything star wars they'll lap up anything put in front of them.

I would really love to see a movie made from the old republic...Revan..or Malgus or something..but i'm sure they'd FUCK IT UP.
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

AND FUCK PORGS
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

My thoughts? Not as harsh as MD's and schick's, but Rian Johnson did fuck up the action sequences.

Everyone wanted to see Luke fight Snoke and take on the Empire, but if you revert back to RoTJ, then you'll notice Luke's maturity and his unwillingness to end his father. He wouldn't commit to destroying the dark side through use of violence. He found peace and knew The Force could be used by better means. Obi-Wan did this very thing in NH when he stopped fighting Vador and became a Jedi Spirit. I think Johnson nailed Luke's role.

Hamill was brilliant. It was no doubt his greatest performance ever as an actor, but there is no doubt Johnson could have paralleled Solo and Rey's encounter on the salt planet and have Luke take care of Snoke. That's where I think Johnson fucked up.

Snoke is a Shaman of the Whills and there are deleted scenes referring to this that were never filmed in NH and a mention of it in Episode 1. There was never any development of the character of Snoke like there was of Palpatine as the Emperor. Apparently, there are references to the Shaman of the Whills in the Clone Wars series. The Emperor gave orders to send the Whills out to the far ends of the galaxy during the battle with the resistance in RtJ. To clean all this shit up, there really needs to be a prequel to TFA explaining the rise of the Empire again and Snoke's role in joining the Dark Side. Disney fucked this up royally.

Also, Lara Dern saving the escape by turning the ship around and cutting it in half by way of light speed was really fucking dumb.

The movie missed the mark on entertaining us, but I think they hit the mark on the storyline and how it should play out between Rey and Solo.

I'll give Disney a pass on this considering how well they did with TFA and Rogue One. I hope Abrams steps back in and does Episode 9. He seems to have the perfect touch.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Slap
Elwood

Post by Slap »

Do you drink tea with your pinkie extended?
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Go Coogs' wrote:
Snoke is a Shaman of the Whills and there are deleted scenes referring to this that were never filmed in NH and a mention of it in Episode 1. There was never any development of the character of Snoke like there was of Palpatine as the Emperor. Apparently, there are references to the Shaman of the Whills in the Clone Wars series. The Emperor gave orders to send the Whills out to the far ends of the galaxy during the battle with the resistance in RtJ. To clean all this shit up, there really needs to be a prequel to TFA explaining the rise of the Empire again and Snoke's role in joining the Dark Side. Disney fucked this up royally.

This is the hardest part of the new iteration of Star Wars to swallow.

How can the good guys still be referred to as "the rebellion"? At they end of Return Of The Jedi, the Death Star was completely destroyed, the emperor was killed, Darth Vader expired and the Empire was completely vanquished. So where the fuck did the First Order come from and why are they such a threat? Why should we be so invested in seeing Snoke defeated? Who the fuck is he? This is NOT a trifling matter.

I suppose much of the effort has gone into hosing off the diarrhoea that Lucas shat all over the franchise with the prequels. I don't really care.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

Shlomart Ben Yisrael wrote:
Go Coogs' wrote:

This is the hardest part of the new iteration of Star Wars to swallow.

How can the good guys still be referred to as "the rebellion"? At they end of Return Of The Jedi, the Death Star was completely destroyed, the emperor was killed, Darth Vader expired and the Empire was completely vanquished. So where the fuck did the First Order come from and why are they such a threat? Why should we be so invested in seeing Snoke defeated? Who the fuck is he? This is NOT a trifling matter.

I suppose much of the effort has gone into hosing off the diarrhoea that Lucas shat all over the franchise with the prequels. I don't really care.

There's a ton of canon on this (apparently) in the way of books and comics..how Hux had Phasma kill his father and he basically founded the first order etc...

i guess they're just setting up an Origins movie for Hux in 20 years. who knows. This movie feels like it was made for a new generation of kids who had never seen or heard of star wars.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Haven't seen it. Won't pay to see it. Last time I dropped any cash to see anything from the SW line was RoTJ. I have sort of watched bits of the following movies. So, like many my age who grew up on the original trilogy, I could give two fukks about anything beyond.

I did see a yt video review done by, of all people, Ben Shapiro. Ben is a YUUUGE SW nerd. He went into all sorts of detail about how there were events that conflicted terribly with earlier movies which annoyed him. His bottom line was that it was better than the last, but will still annoy nerds. Someone going in to see it with a clean slate will enjoy it.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

I'm not a big Star Wars nerd but I finally got around to seeing the Last Jedi yesterday. Turns out if you up show up at 9 a.m. they will actually price an IMAX movie in 3D at something approximating a normal movie. So I got the full immersion experience right on the rail of the IMAX theater and thought it was freaking brilliant. When I go to see an action movie I want to see action. The Last Jedi provided it. The battle scenes were phenomenal. And the storyline didn't bother me in the least because I could give two fucks about the expanded universe Star Wars canon.

Most of the objections I find online can be boiled down to two things, nerds who can't stand their Universe being disrupted and nerds who can't stand seeing girls in a position of power.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

schmick wrote:It's bad, not bad in a good way but just bad. Disney has done a proper job of ruining the franchise.
That sums it up.
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Post by Moby Dick »

BSmack wrote:I'm not a big Star Wars nerd but I finally got around to seeing the Last Jedi yesterday. Turns out if you up show up at 9 a.m. they will actually price an IMAX movie in 3D at something approximating a normal movie. So I got the full immersion experience right on the rail of the IMAX theater and thought it was freaking brilliant. When I go to see an action movie I want to see action. The Last Jedi provided it. The battle scenes were phenomenal. And the storyline didn't bother me in the least because I could give two fucks about the expanded universe Star Wars canon.

Most of the objections I find online can be boiled down to two things, nerds who can't stand their Universe being disrupted and nerds who can't stand seeing girls in a position of power.

I agree with the action and fight scenes...tons of amazing visuals.

But c'mon....the whole 'gravity in space' along with Poe comitting treason a couple times and nothing more than a slap to the face from a commanding officer....just plain dumb.

fuck porgs.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

What Bsmack said only I paid full price to see it in DBox. Great ride for $15.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Moby Dick wrote: I agree with the action and fight scenes...tons of amazing visuals.

The fight in Supreme Leader Snoke's chamber was awful. It's like it was choreographed underwater. It was bad...Prequel-levels bad.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Moving Sale wrote:Great ride for $15.
Fascinating. Your mom told me the same thing.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

I would have read your whole post but I fell asleep from boredom 1/2 way thru.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Put on a pot of coffee and give it another go, BoardBitch Sale.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Need validation much?

Like coffee is more powerful than your shit takes. :lol:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Moving Sale wrote:I would have read your whole post but I fell asleep from boredom 1/2 way thru.
I think you may have narcolepsy, bro.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

I'll check into it.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

So, speaking of nerd news...

The fourth Star Trek movie had been more or less, assigned a rather curious director.

Quentin Tarantino. Plus, it will be R-rated.

That should be interesting. :shock:
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Jay in Phoenix wrote:So, speaking of nerd news...

The fourth Star Trek movie had been more or less, assigned a rather curious director.

Talk about your swinging for the fences. It could be the most brilliant Star Trek movie ever or it could suck like a moving sale at a balck cock convention. Can't say I know which one is going to turn out to be.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Will he have a sign that says Dead Klingon Storage?
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

BSmack wrote:Talk about your swinging for the fences. It could be the most brilliant Star Trek movie ever or it could suck like a moving sale at a balck cock convention. Can't say I know which one is going to turn out to be.
No doubt Bri. QT is supposed to be a huge Trek geek and he has a thing for the time travel episodes. Due to his style, that could work. It's an interesting experiment.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Jay wrote:Plus, it will be R-rated
Then I'll mark my calendar for the release of the x-rated version in 2058.
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Arch Angel
Elwood

Post by Arch Angel »

Jay in Phoenix wrote:So, speaking of nerd news...

Star Trek Discovery is on streaming for a reason.

It is PG-13 borderline rated R. A few f-bombs were lobbed in several episodes and it is dark/bloody.

So it would make sense to bring out an "R" version and tell it like it is and not some Utopian galaxy/universe.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Lots of nerds up in this bitch.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Softball Bat wrote:Then I'll mark my calendar for the release of the x-rated version in 2058.
Pops, that wasn't the point I was making. With the exception of what Arch brought up, Star Trek has always been very clean, family oriented. If this Tarantino version actually happens, that changes the tenor of the whole thing. Not sure if that is good or bad, we'll have to see, but it is potentially...in the term of Spock, "fascinating."