West Michigan = the SEC of breweries?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

West Michigan = the SEC of breweries?

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

And no, I'm not referring to rampant cheating, fraud, and overall scandalous behavior. West Michigan breweries rank #1 and #2 respectively according to the 2017 "best beers of America" list done by the American Homebrewers Association.

Top Breweries
1. Bell’s Brewery, Inc., Comstock, Mich.
2. Founders Brewing Co., Grand Rapids, Mich.
3. Russian River Brewing Co., Santa Rosa, Calif.
4. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Chico, Calif. and Mills River, N.C.
5. Stone Brewing, Escondido, Calif., Richmond, Va., and Berlin, Germany
6. Firestone Walker Brewing Company, Paso Robles, Calif.
7. Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
8. Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Milton, Del.
9. Lagunitas Brewing Company, Petaluma, Calif. and Chicago, Ill.
10. Ballast Point Brewing, San Diego, Calif.

Top Beers
1. Bell’s Two Hearted Ale
2. Russian River Pliny the Elder
3. Founders Breakfast Stout
4. Three Floyds Zombie Dust
5. Bell’s Hopslam
T6. Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
T6. The Alchemist Heady Topper
T8. Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA
T8. Sierra Nevada Celebration
10. Ballast Point Sculpin IPA

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/ ... a-results/

Although I gotta say, on the whole, these lists are shit. We've got smaller outfits that would blow breweries like Great Lakes and Goose Island out of the water, like Perrin, Shorts, Dark Horse, Keweenaw, Old Nation, and countless others. And as good as Founders is, it probably wouldn't even crack my personal top 5 of Michigan breweries. Because that's how we roll in the U&MW...
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: West Michigan = the SEC of breweries?

Post by Goober McTuber »

There are some very fine craft breweries in Michigan, no doubt. And those lists are indeed shit. Among the top breweries on that list that I have tried and been totally unimpressd with: Desshutes, Dogshit Head and Lagunitas. Zombie Dust is the most over-hyped over-rated craft beer in the solar system.

We have two local breweries that are as good as any on that list.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Enough already with all these breweries. The pendulum of brewery world has swung from the plethora of neighborhood breweries in my grandfather's time to the almost monopoly of Anheuser-Busch/Miller and now back to more than my grandfather's time. It's nice to have options, but going to a bar with 100 different taps is a bit over the top.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: 1. Bell’s Two Hearted Ale

Fuckin' based drink right there.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

My current refrigerator selection consists of:

1. Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA
2. Ommegang white wheat ale
3 Three Heads Brewery The Kind IPA
4. Sananac White Ale

By this winter it will be a completely different list.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

Ehhh,

I am sure several on that list have limited production barrel aged stuff. That is what I am interested in. I am a short walking distance from the Lost Abbey Confessional. It more than meets my needs.
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

Bri,

Have a 750ml of Ommegang - Three Philosophers in my beer fridge now. Surprised to see something like that make it out here. Drank two last weekend, very tasty.
Last edited by atmdad on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Bought a 12 of Moosehead the other day, partly because I ran into a pyramid of it in big Y and partly because I hadn't had it in about 30 years. Reminds me of Heineken. That's not a particularly good thing. It's not horrible. I won't pour it down the sink, but I won't buy it again. Think I will go back to my recent IPA binge. I am currently trying to find some Heady Topper which I have heard described as the best IPA in the universe.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

Smack, in a well stocked store look for the barrel aged varietys. Mix it up and splurge on a pricey strong ale or barley wine (they run 10-14%). I've seen pictures of your beer gut, I'm sure you would enjoy one. :grin:
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Wolfman wrote:Enough already with all these breweries. The pendulum of brewery world has swung from the plethora of neighborhood breweries in my grandfather's time to the almost monopoly of Anheuser-Busch/Miller and now back to more than my grandfather's time. It's nice to have options, but going to a bar with 100 different taps is a bit over the top.
I kinda feel the complete opposite. Might as well drink what you like and enjoy. If 10,000 different breweries can survive in the US then great. If a 1000 different distillers can survive then great.

The only thing I can't stand is _______ snob that thinks what they drink is the best and everything else is below them. And those that disagree don't have a good palette, etc. Just drink what you like and leave the other stuff for other people.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

What lefty said. If rice-piss light floats your boat, good for you. Hell, I will even drink one if it's hot enough, they are cold enough and someone else is buying, but if I gotta spend my own money, I can usually find something good on sale at BIG Y for not much over a buck a bottle.
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

my apologies if I came across as beer snob douche. i agree, drink what floats your boat. was just trying to say don't be afraid to expand your palette, you might find something really tasty out there. step out of your comfort zone.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

atmdad wrote:my apologies if I came across as beer snob douche. i agree, drink what floats your boat. was just trying to say don't be afraid to expand your palette, you might find something really tasty out there. step out of your comfort zone.
This. If you never try anything new you have no clue what you might enjoy. Generally I am going to drink spirits over beer since I don't have to pee all night, but I still will drink my fare share of beer as I haven't come close to trying them all and who knows if one I really enjoy is out there.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I just ordered three bottles of this (2013 variety) online directly from the winery:

It won't get here until November, but definitely worth the wait.
It has no bubbles, but no carbs either.

I love beer but for some reason it makes me feel like crap anymore if I drink more than one or two.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

my spreadsheets AFU. I thought lefty was a tea-totaler.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

18 million wineries of note near Paso and Firestone still gets a nod in the beer section? Can anyone say wealth of riches?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

smackaholic wrote:my spreadsheets AFU. I thought lefty was a tea-totaler.
Yup. You prolly made an assumption. I have had drinks with many members of this Board over the years. What I don't tolerate is driving after drinking. Blind ref, OU Skull and others have seen me prepay cab drivers for rides back to a hotel after drinking just a couple of drinks. Unnecessary now with Uber. I will also point out folks to bar tenders that need a ride home. Most bars have a no questions asked policy and will gladly pay for a cab vs the potential of a lawsuit.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Left Seater wrote:The only thing I can't stand is _______ snob that thinks what they drink is the best and everything else is below them. And those that disagree don't have a good palette, etc. Just drink what you like and leave the other stuff for other people.
Agree with this. As much as I enjoy craft beer, I'm not beneath a Miller Lite or PBR once in a while. It's all about time, place, & situation. Unlike holic, I actually enjoy Moosehead.

Goobs, what are some good Wisco-based beers you can recommend? There's a couple huge specialty beer stores around here. If they are worth their salt I can probably find them.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

If you're in the Chicago area, you should be able to find Ale Asylum. Their flagship beer is Hopalicious (APA), their best beer is Velveteen Habit (IPA), and all of their beer is extremely well-made. The brew master (Dean Coffey) is respected throughout the industry.

I'll have to do a little research. Most Wisky micros are still confined to the state. Michigan obviously has a much more mature craft beer scene.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Wolfman wrote:Enough already with all these breweries. The pendulum of brewery world has swung from the plethora of neighborhood breweries in my grandfather's time to the almost monopoly of Anheuser-Busch/Miller and now back to more than my grandfather's time. It's nice to have options, but going to a bar with 100 different taps is a bit over the top.
I'd imagine you're the sort of guy that orders the same beer everywhere you go, so why do you care if there's a "plethora" of options?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Goober McTuber wrote:If you're in the Chicago area, you should be able to find Ale Asylum. Their flagship beer is Hopalicious (APA), their best beer is Velveteen Habit (IPA), and all of their beer is extremely well-made. The brew master (Dean Coffey) is respected throughout the industry.

I'll have to do a little research. Most Wisky micros are still confined to the state. Michigan obviously has a much more mature craft beer scene.
I'm in Grand Rapids.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were in Chicagoland. I don't know of any Wisky microbrewers selling in Michigan.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I'm in Grand Rapids.
T & P.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Left Seater wrote:The only thing I can't stand is _______ snob that thinks what they drink is the best and everything else is below them. And those that disagree don't have a good palette, etc. Just drink what you like and leave the other stuff for other people.
Agree with this. As much as I enjoy craft beer, I'm not beneath a Miller Lite or PBR once in a while. It's all about time, place, & situation. Unlike holic, I actually enjoy Moosehead.

Goobs, what are some good Wisco-based beers you can recommend? There's a couple huge specialty beer stores around here. If they are worth their salt I can probably find them.
Mgooo, after working about halfway through the 12 of Moosehead, I have decided I was a little harsh on it. Certainly better than Heineken, as is most anything, really. Still won't go out of my way to by it though, but won't turn my nose up to one handed to me. Kind of surprised VT doesn't get any love on that list. Those hippies up there have lots of really good breweries. Heady Topper by The Alchemist Brewery has been compared favorably by some to Pliny the Elder. Someone on beeradvocate dubbed it the best beer in the world. I am gonna have to hunt some down on my next run up to BTV.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Goober McTuber wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I'm in Grand Rapids.
T & P.
For what? We've got a nice downtown, 45 minute drive to the big lake, many terrific breweries, there's stuff to do yet it's not over-crowded. Lots of stuffy conservitard/jesus freaks. That's the main downfall.

I mean, it's no Madison, but few places can reach that level of paradise.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

What a shit list.

Maybe "best beers from breweries that make several million cases a year"?

Deschutes was once great... then they got huge. Not the best brewery in Bend, even, much less Oregon.

What a travesty.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Sucks to be a Sconnie--

Second rate beers
Second rate chicks
Second rate hockey
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Sucks to be a Sconnie--

Second rate beers
Second rate chicks
Second rate hockey
Three strikes and you're out. You don't even live in Michigan.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I stumbled upon some bell's 2 hearted and figured I'd buy a 6 and see what all you flyover tards are raving about.

My first impression, was, yeah, there's some hops in there, but I'm not really getting much else. Just finished my 3rd bottle and I must say it is growing on me. Definitely more going on than just the hops. Kinda citrusy.

I'd buy it again, but, never have seen it in Ct. I am in Virginia Beach for a long weekend to burn off some vacation days that are about to evaporate and found this at the Navy base quicky mart.

Oh, and rack the hell out of AGW. CB and I went boogie boarding today. Water temp at Sandbridge, according to the interwebs was 67 degrees. I thought it was warmer than that, but that could be because the air temp was about the same. I lived here for 4.5 years about 30 years ago and don't ever remember going swimming in November.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Top Breweries
1. Bell’s Brewery, Inc., Comstock, Mich.
2. Founders Brewing Co., Grand Rapids, Mich.
3. Russian River Brewing Co., Santa Rosa, Calif.
4. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Chico, Calif. and Mills River, N.C.
5. Stone Brewing, Escondido, Calif., Richmond, Va., and Berlin, Germany
6. Firestone Walker Brewing Company, Paso Robles, Calif.
7. Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
8. Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Milton, Del.
9. Lagunitas Brewing Company, Petaluma, Calif. and Chicago, Ill.
10. Ballast Point Brewing, San Diego, Calif.
No doubt these beers are rated by the corresponding amount of skulls on the can. How many are 'session ales' with alcohol content above 7%?
Their flagship beer is Hopalicious (APA)
Lovely, sounds like throwing up in reverse. Plastering the fact (with pride) that hops are a cheap preservative and the main ingredient in your beer gives me an artisan-al headache.. errr sorry, skullache for the IPA craft crowd.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I haven't seen a session above 4.7% or so, but I appreciate your exaggeration for comedic effect. Haha.

If this list was truly accurate, there'd be a few more Michigan breweries present in the top 10. Most anything from Short's, Perrin, and Dark Horse, are all better than most of the dreck I've sampled from the rest of that sorry ass top 10.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Petoskey Brewing, Block Brewing, Old Nation, Odd Side Ales, Grand Armory, among others, also got screwed. Frankly, I can't see any reason why Michigan beers wouldn't occupy every spot in the top 10.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

I'd imagine the state of small brewing is desperate everywhere in North America, take a microbrew in west Toronto, it'll be the same in Michigan.
Our new Boneshaker IPA is now slightly stronger than our sixteen other IPA's on tap.

Your Cranksgiving is coming up, is everything cranberry IPA with a hint of smashed pennies in your mouth? Think it's over-priced? It certainly is, but explain it away by claiming your beer is a 'sipper', not meant for six-at-a-go.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Dr_Phibes wrote:I'd imagine the state of small brewing is desperate everywhere in North America, take a microbrew in west Toronto, it'll be the same in Michigan.
Our new Boneshaker IPA is now slightly stronger than our sixteen other IPA's on tap.

Your Cranksgiving is coming up, is everything cranberry IPA with a hint of smashed pennies in your mouth? Think it's over-priced? It certainly is, but explain it away by claiming your beer is a 'sipper', not meant for six-at-a-go.
Yeah, but the difference is, ours are actually...

..what's the word I'm looking for?

Oh yeah...good.

How did I fail to mention Keweenaw Brewing? Forgotten about, tucked way up there in Houghton. Very traditional flavors, but just solid, and every draft beer is capped at $3. Just beware, the town is full of Indian students attending Michigan Tech, so if you sit at the bar, be ready to huff a consistent waft of curry and B.O.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

The micro beer homerism here really is comical.

Guess what douchebags, last I checked, brewers are able to import incredients. Hell, they can even import the water if they need to. This means brewers, no matter where they are, are capable of making good beer and shit beer. Some are certainly better than others. Some places such as Portland have larger numbers of them. I suspect the number of legit micro-brewers is well into the hundreds, probably thousands. And I am sure they all make good beer. If they don't, they'll be gone soon enough.

A free market is cool like that, comrade Phibes. :wink:

BTW, rack comrade's skulls blast.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dr_Phibes wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
Their flagship beer is Hopalicious (APA)
Lovely, sounds like throwing up in reverse. Plastering the fact (with pride) that hops are a cheap preservative and the main ingredient in your beer gives me an artisan-al headache.. errr sorry, skullache for the IPA craft crowd.
I guess if you're full of shit, you might as well talk out of your ass. The brewery is known for producing extremely well-balanced beers. That means adding a proper measure of malt to your IPAs/APAs. Cranberries? Beer is made with 4 ingredients: grain, hops, yeast and water.

You seem like more of a wine-cooler guy.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Petoskey Brewing, Block Brewing, Old Nation, Odd Side Ales, Grand Armory, among others, also got screwed. Frankly, I can't see any reason why Michigan beers wouldn't occupy every spot in the top 10.
Ballast Point and Firestone Walker are excellent.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:The micro beer homerism here really is comical.

Guess what douchebags, last I checked, brewers are able to import incredients. Hell, they can even import the water if they need to. This means brewers, no matter where they are, are capable of making good beer and shit beer. Some are certainly better than others. Some places such as Portland have larger numbers of them. I suspect the number of legit micro-brewers is well into the hundreds, probably thousands. And I am sure they all make good beer.
I'm pretty sure they don't. There is a ton of shitty microbrewed beer on the market. Because everybody and their brother wants to be a microbrewer.

To me, micro beer homerism makes sense in that you're getting beer at its freshest when you're buying a local product. Has nothing to do with local ingredients. The really good microbrewers here that I've talked to make annual sabbaticals to the U&L to contract for hops.

MsCJ
Jake

Post by MsCJ »

I think you're getting some microbreweries confused with some nanobreweries.

Bells has some size and some distribution outside the region, as does every other brewery on the top 10 list. Every region has great nanobreweries but it's not reasonable for people outside those regions to have ever come across them.
Really everything you need to know about me, MP said:
I stopped posting because of msck2trashy
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

smackaholic wrote:The micro beer homerism here really is comical.

Guess what douchebags, last I checked, brewers are able to import incredients. Hell, they can even import the water if they need to. This means brewers, no matter where they are, are capable of making good beer and shit beer. Some are certainly better than others. Some places such as Portland have larger numbers of them. I suspect the number of legit micro-brewers is well into the hundreds, probably thousands. And I am sure they all make good beer. If they don't, they'll be gone soon enough.

A free market is cool like that, comrade Phibes. :wink:

BTW, rack comrade's skulls blast.
Wait...how in the world did I forget Arcadia, Atwater, Elk, New Holland, Right Brain, and Kuhnhenn???