Props again to PSU

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Props again to PSU

Post by Carson »

I had to deal with TUN fans when I was working in Florida.

They consider themselves gods because they "invented the game of football."

They also brag about "making Notre Dame a football program."
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I'll add some conference/non-conference thoughts...

Non- Conference -

WORST -

THE U...they are the North Carolina Tar Heels/Dallas Cowboy fans of college football...holy shit
USC...an uneducated pile of doosh bags...just look at Schmick

Best -

Auburn/LSU - great fans...have seen SEC games and the National Champ game of OSU v LSU and fans of both schools are gracious...

Conference -

WORST -
Ann Arbor College - you hear the _ichigan man mantra and all that bullshit and the whole we have the most wins of all time shit...who the fuck cares...your program is shit...the winged helmets are awful...yellow and blue together are terrible color combos...fuck them and their pretentious ass hat views...

Best -
I haven't been to a conference game in years...so I have nothing...
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Is there arrogance within any fan base? There has to be. I don't like the collective group of all Michigan fans either. The few fans I know are pretty cool.

I know I'm not a "legit" fan since I didn't go to the school but it's been my team since I was young. College sports seems to have a different vibe over who you support. You earn extra credibility because you went to the school but it's not like that with pro sports.

I was attracted to the big stadium, the uniforms, the band, the aura. That's probably the same stuff other fans hate about Michigan. When you live in this state, you choose a side...I picked Michigan. More and more I encounter State fans where I live. I don't think all of them went to that school but that doesn't make them lesser fans. If I was from another state, I'd pulled for one of those local schools.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Shoalzie -

You are one of the few Ann Arbor College fans I can tolerate...I have a couple "friends" who didn't go there and are absolutely the worst representatives of any program I have seen...but they are Ann Arbor College fans and they are insufferable...again they didn't go to the school but they make Dallas Cowboy fan look tame...

If you are a level-headed fan then it's cool...a little good natured trash talk is great...rivalry weeks are awesome...but when mouth breathers are out and about...ugh...

I can pretty much say with the exception of Carr Guy and M2...we avoid that around here...pretty knowledgeable fans of a lot of programs...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

PSU fans may be nice people on the surface, but that whole celebrating a known pedo enabler thing takes them down a few notches in my book.

I haven't been to many Big Ten stadiums, just Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, and Maryland. Michigan Stadium is an interesting blend of crusty old alums sitting on their hands and greasy haired, down river Walmart Wolverines. I haven't seen any of these zuba-clad, face-painted, drooling mongoloids 88 speaks of at Spartan Stadium, but no doubt there are a few drunken, nasty individuals you may encounter while in East Lansing. Overall, a solid fan base imo. Northwestern fans don't seem to understand the game of football, and can often be found reading books in the bleachers or pondering their investment deals. Maryland fans appeared downright apathetic when I visited Byrd Stadium. They seemed to treat going to a football game like going to the bowling alley on a Saturday night. It was just something to do.

Having spent some time in Chicago, I got a pretty good feel for most of the fan bases as it's sort of a central hub of Big Ten representation. Nebraska fans are by far the nicest. Almost too nice to the point of completely uninteresting. Ohio State fans are cool to talk football with one-on-one, but once they form into groups they turn into savages. Absolute savages. Michigan fans aren't usually aggressive, but they carry themselves with a sense of unearned arrogance, and are often humorless and self-important. Probably the least fun fan base to talk trash with because they take everything so personally. M Club is a massive exception to this rule. Minnesota fans are pretty chill. Iowa fans are salt of the earth types; very passionate about their team and seem totally content with paying Kirk Ferentz tier 1 money for tier 3 results. They love traveling to opposing stadiums just to get a respite from the hell hole that is the state of Iowa. Purdue fans are a lot like Detroit Lions fans -- totally dead inside but still follow the team. Illinois fans are just waiting for basketball season. Generally, I've had good experiences with Wisconsin fans. They're proud but not delusional. Camp Randall is #1 on my list of B1G stadiums I want to hit next. I don't think I've ever encountered a single Indiana football fan. Ditto Rutgers.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Needs more cowbell.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

I've been to many a roadie and over a dozen bowl games and have had UM season tix for decades now. I think you have three totally different experiences. Those who travel to the road games are generally very good people, regardless of school. I routinely pull people in the opponent's gear into my tailgate and offer food or drink and conversation about their experience in AA and what game day is like at their place. If you travel to another campus and you aren't a loud mouthed shit talking asshole, you won't have a problem. Cheer for your team, enjoy your time, and nobody will fuck with you.

Are some fan bases annoying? I think all teams have followers who are assholes. I find that you get what you give. When on the road, I try to ingratiate myself to the home team and the way they do things. I try to be complimentary to their program when we talk football, but mostly just be a decent person. I think the threshold of "annoying" is lowered when you're talking about a hated rival or a team that has kicked yours in the dick throughout the years. So quite naturally I find Sparty fan, OSU fan, and ND fan the most annoying. I will be going to EL for the 9th time on Saturday. I've never had a problem because I'm not looking for one. Sparty fans were all class last year after "the punt". The kids were psyched as they should be and the older fans (those who hung around) were practically apologetic. I will echo what 88 said about PSU fans, the best in the biz. I went there in '97 and M curb stomped them. Went to the hotel bar after the game dressed in my maize and blue regalia and my buddy and I couldn't buy a beer. Great fans who wished us well the rest of the season.

If any of you ever find yourself in AA for a game, hit me up and come on over to my tailgate for a beer and some charred animal flesh off the grill.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

WolverineSteve wrote:I think all teams have followers who are assholes.
None worse than what we refer to around here as "New Duck Fan," or "NeoDuckFan." Maybe this season is a blessing in disguise, and we can shed a few (or all) of them. They're obnoxious and poorly behaved.

Of the fan bases I've interacted with, most have been great. Calfan is pretty lame though.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:
WolverineSteve wrote:I think all teams have followers who are assholes.
None worse than what we refer to around here as "New Duck Fan," or "NeoDuckFan." Maybe this season is a blessing in disguise, and we can shed a few (or all) of them. They're obnoxious and poorly behaved.
Interesting. We were at the Bradley Center for the NCAAs a couple years back when Wisky played Oregon. Dude behind us was a life-long Duck fan and really decent people. His girl-friend, a Chicago native, had apparently converted to Duck fan. She was a mouthy bitch, loudly complaining about every other call. Once the Badgers took control of the game in the second half, she dragged her boyfriend out of there before I could make a long series of humorous observations.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Someone from Oregon was nicer than someone from Chicago?

Color me shocked.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one