Welcome to Florida

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Welcome to Florida

Post by Mikey »

Floridians will be celebrating July 4th with big scoops of their newest product: algaemole.

Rick Scott - "Thanks Obama."

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Re: Welcome to Florida

Post by Left Seater »

These are the kind of issues that make citizens hate the EPA and the Feds. This is much more an EPA issue than an Obama or any other White House resident.

A perfect example is something going on in my hometown of Corpus. Back in 1980 there were 15 natural passages between the CC Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. Along came hurricane Allen and all but one were closed by the storm surge. Fast forward a few years and the salinity levels in the bay began to rise due to less exchange of water with the gulf. The city and county wanted to dredge the passages back open and use the material to restore the dunes that Allen wrecked. The EPA said no. Then a few years later the EPA said the city would have to release water from a lake that emptied into the bay to help lower the salinity levels. The city balked and again pushed opening the passages. The EPA got an injunction and the city was forced to release water even in drought conditions. 25 years later the city finally won in court and reopened the passages. Salinity levels returned to normal almost overnight.

Left, right, middle all thought the EPA was a bunch of idiots. They finally got a court to side with the. After 10s of millions of dollars were spent.

Why can't the EPA get their head out of their ass?
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Actually it has little or nothing to do with the EPA.

More to blame, and not necessarily in this order -

Florida agricultural interests
Florida state government
Army Corps of Engineers, which built the dike around Lake Okeechobee saving probably thousands of lives and billions in farm profits, but now is responsible for releasing tons of agricultural runoff into the rivers and streams.

It cracks me up when Republican Governors, who are always crying for deregulation and small government, are the first to cry for more federal money when their shit comes home to roost.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... mix&wpmm=1
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mikey wrote: It cracks me up when Republican Governors, who are always crying for deregulation and small government, are the first to cry for more federal money when their shit comes home to roost.
ALWAYS
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

RACK Mikey. Nothing whatsoever to do with the EPA. We have the same situation with Madison lakes. Overwhelmingly due to fertilizer/manure runoff from farms.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Mikey wrote: It cracks me up when Republican Governors, who are always crying for deregulation and small government, are the first to cry for more federal money when their shit comes home to roost.
ALWAYS
And...they blame the Administration when it's Congress that holds the purse strings.

Also this...
Sen. Nelson, who visited the area this week, said the issue shouldn’t fall just on the shoulders of the federal government. He called on the state legislature to spend money on environmental projects already approved by Florida voters, reported AP, including the purchase of land surrounding Lake Okeechobee for water storage instead of diverting funds to pay for administrative costs.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Based on the thread title I figured this would be about a shirtless guy with a clown mask on who robbed a 7-11 with a Samurai sword while high on bath salts, then fled the scene on foot only to stop and defecate on the hood of a cop car. Or something typical like that.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Don't worry 88. Our politicians are focused like a laser on the issue. Actually, I think it is a bit overblown.
BTW---sounds like an 88/O troll stop in there somewhere. Keep in touch. Twins games in March, new hoops at FSW. An 88 visit to the Fallout Shelter. Lots to do.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

88 wrote:...(Spaghetti Monster willing)...
Praise Him and his even flatter Earth.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Shlomart Ben Yisrael wrote:
88 wrote:...(Spaghetti Monster willing)...
Praise Him and his even flatter Earth.
Are you mocking my faith?? :brad:
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Crap ton of our beaches are shutdown right now locally... dumb ass tourists still going to crab island to swim through people's piss and shit.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

If Florida isn't appealing, try Texas for a nice day at the beach.
You might bring home some flesh-eating bacteria, and you'd probably be the first one on your block. At least it's not green.

http://abc13.com/health/should-you-be-c ... s/1409387/
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Most of what the EPA does is unconstitutional. If Robert H Jackson was alive I would tell him to go fuck himself.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Never mind that CA has between 100 and 150 cases of the same disease each year.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/disc ... tSheet.pdf
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

From your link:
Levels of Vibrio bacteria are high in the Gulf of Mexico during the hot summer months, and
many cases of vibriosis reported in the summer have been associated with eating raw oysters
harvested from the Gulf. In 2003, California passed legislation that prohibits the sale, in
California, of raw oysters that have been harvested in the Gulf of Mexico during the summer
months unless the oysters have been processed so that the levels of Vibrio bacteria are not
detectable. This has led to a marked decrease in the number of reported cases of severe
vibriosis among California residents
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And BTW...

Vibriosis from eating contaminated shellfish is not "the same disease" as the flesh eating bacteria infection you get from swimming in Texas.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:Mikey - this problem rarely happens. I'll take swimming in the GoM any day over the Pacific (in the US).

Why?
http://www.californiabeaches.com/pacifi ... nia-coast/

and then:
http://www.pfdma.org/choosing/hypothermia.aspx

Sorry. Requiring a wetsuit isn't a good way to sit back and enjoy a beer or cocktail. Fuck big waves, too. We're old. You want to sit in at least 80 degree water and drink beer without being thrashed about too much. To deny that is to BULLSHITTIO!
Not sure where they took the water temps for the table in the first link but around here they're typically in the 70s all summer, up to about 76. Even warmer the past few years what with non-global warming and whatnot. And if I'm going to the beach I don't want to sit in an 80 degree swimming pool - I can do that at home and not have to worry about swimming in other peoples' shit - and when it's hot out the cooler water feels better anyway. At anything over 70 degrees I can stay in the water pretty much indefinitely on my boogie board and actually have some fun in the real waves.

NoCal is another story. We used to go to the beach in Santa Cruz when I was a kid. 45 minutes in the water and you come out with blue lips. Still was fun though.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Mikey wrote:Not sure where they took the water temps for the table in the first link but around here they're typically in the 70s all summer, up to about 76.
76?

It usually averages 68-72º, and the warmest I think I ever saw it was around 74. The water must have seriously warmed up in the last couple of decades if your statement is true.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I'll admit 76 is pretty unusual but I've heard of it in the past couple of years, and temperatures have been three to four degrees above normal.

The water temperature depends a lot on where you are and what the currents are doing. Different beaches are affected in different ways at different times by currents.

Scripps Pier was over 73 degrees in the past 24 hours, almost 74 a few days ago.

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/physoc ... id=9410230

Oceanside has been as high as 73.8 in the past 24 hours and over 74 deg on June 30.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46224
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yeah my pool stays at around 84 most of the time during the summer. It heats up to 86 or 87 on a hot day without using the solar heat.