Doesn't matter.

tOSU is about to get the last spot.

What would the BCS have done?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Final 4 - Bama, Oregon.....

Post by Dinsdale »

Fuck Baylor. Fucking play somebody.

The committee should punish OOC pussies.

tOSU's loss is by far the worst of the contenders. Oregon, Bama, and TCU's were the "best" losses.

I'd vote for FSU, Oregon, Bama, and TCU, which I think is probably going to be what happens. We'll see.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Too much money at stake.

Too much politics in the committee.

tOSU will get in.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Dinsdale wrote:Fuck Baylor. Fucking play somebody.

The committee should punish OOC pussies.

tOSU's loss is by far the worst of the contenders. Oregon, Bama, and TCU's were the "best" losses.

Funny thing about TCU and Baylor side by side. Schedule is almost the same.

Both played everyone in the Big XII. Both played SMU non conf. Both played a FCS team.

The one difference is Minnesota vs Buffalo. That looked pretty damn equal until the last few weeks of the season.

TCU lost to Baylor and people want to give them a pass because of the schedule? :doh:

Agree tOSU loss is by far the worst.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I don't think there will be any shakeup in the final four. I'm going:

1) Bama
vs
4) FSU

2) Oregon
vs
3) TCU
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Officially:

1 Bama vs 4 Ohio State

2 Oregon vs 3 FSU

Big 12 gets shut out. Wow. Clearly punished for not having a cash grab game.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I approve of that four...TCU/Baylor cancelled each other out. This is why you shouldn't show the rankings week-to-week. This is the correct field in the correct order.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

I think OSU is the third best team in the country and FSU should be out, but you cannot ignore the winning streak. Hard to believe that under the previous format FSU would have been left out. Big12 got screwed. How can TCU drop 3 spots for winning?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

WolverineSteve wrote:Hard to believe that under the previous format FSU would have been left out.
Huh? Under the previous format, FSU would likely be #1. The BCS loved them some undefeated records, SOS be damned.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Carson wrote:Too much money at stake.

Too much politics in the committee.

tOSU will get in.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

How does TCU and Baylor cancel each other?

Of the three teams for the final spot Baylor has the best win, one which was over one of the other two schools.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Left Seater wrote:How does TCU and Baylor cancel each other?
TCU got left out because they lost to Baylor.

Baylor got left out because they had the lowest rated non-con SOS in the country.

TCU and Baylor were co-champions.

Not saying I agree, but that's the reasoning for canceling out.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Time for a little Rose Bowl redemption.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

If we had 8 we could as easily had two rematches, Bama Miss St and Oregon Michigan State.

Problem is do we really need to see Miss State and Michigan State play for the title? I don't think so. Both already lost to teams that made it.

Also hoping FSU knocks off Oregon so your head will explode. :hfal:
matteric
Elwood

Post by matteric »

Sudden Sam wrote: I wanna play Oregon bad

I laughed...

alabama and your sissy conference won't get a chance to play a Big Boy Conference (The PAC)... after you get Buckeye'd to death.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I do wish they had left FSU at #4 and slotted tOSU #3 so the Granddaddy Of Them All could still be B1G vs PAC.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:I do wish they had left FSU at #4 and slotted tOSU #3 so the Granddaddy Of Them All could still be B1G vs PAC.
That, or moved Oregon to #1... not that I care about the seed, they're interchangeable, but some finagling to make the Rose Bowl proper wouldn't have been out of line. Oregon could have just as easily have been #1, since the "body of work" between them and Bama is virtually identical, if you look at top wins and "quality of loss," it's pretty much the same.

Then again, they don't need to go putting a chip on Bama's shoulder, either.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If you look up and down, the PAC and SEC were fairly even. Both had plenty of top 25 teams, which led to the eventual cannibalization.

Maybe a couple more good teams in the SEC... fair enough, since they have a couple more teams.

Both were clearly better than the other conferences. Both are sending their 1-loss top dog to represent them in the CFP. Both of their losses came against good teams. Both beat plenty of very good teams.

I don't really see where anyone could bitch about the overall quality of either this season. 2 of the deepest conferences I can recall in recent years.

B1G, B12, and ACC had very good teams on top, then got pretty thin after that. But that can be said of just about any conference in just about any year, except for 2 of them this year.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

88 wrote:I disagree. But opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. I think all of the "Power 5" conferences were about the same, top to bottom, this year (i.e., no "Power 5" conference was head and shoulders better than any other conference this year).

While I respect your opinion, and can see your point...

you're out of your freaking mind.
I believe the SEC was largely overrated all year.
Yes and no. Sure, the "ESPN Ratio" was in full effect, the top teams were quite solid.

The team that ended up representing the East Division, Mizzou, got beat at home by an Indiana team that finished 1-7 in the B1G.
Lots of very good teams were finding their rhythm early in the season. But you make a very odd statement here, for a Buckfan. Was VT an unstoppable force?

I note, for example, that Oklahoma and Texas had better wins against common opponent West Virginia, and one of those games was played in Morgantown.

See above. Bama replaced a bunch of guys on both sides.

Although I fully agree the SEC makes it hard for us to judge, what with their acrophobia... nothing new there, and they do it by design. Why wouldn't they, since they have that "aura" going on?
Who, besides Oregon, won a decent out-of-conference game from the Pac-12?
Define "decent"?

Was UCLA's win over Texas "decent"? Texas' record would have looked a lot better had they won. Cal beat Northwestern, IIRC -- is that "decent" for a non-bowl team? Utah handed Michigan their ass on a platter in the Medium House -- "decent"?
I am not suggesting that there is very little objective evidence one can look at for the season on the whole that will lead you to the conclusion that the SEC and Pac-12 were, top to bottom, the best two conferences this year.
From the standpoint of statistical evidence, it's hard to disagree with this. But every single person who posts on this forum has been doing this long enough that we can use the "eyeball-test" to formulate an opinion. I shared mine.

And besides the asskicking of Mizzou, the B1G took a beating OOC. So did the B12, in the very few "real" games they played. Although the ACC came out ahead of the SEC, but as pointed out, those traditional rivalries featured mismatches in the ACC's favor.

Now you have me thinking about it, when you look at the "real" (P5 vs P5) OOC games, the PAC was by far the most impressive.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Papa Willie wrote:We'll see in the bowl games. If the SEC loses their asses in most of the bowl games, I will be more than happy to say that the SEC sucked this year.

Will you account for the airplane factor?
matteric
Elwood

Post by matteric »

Papa Willie wrote:
Some of us live in remote areas of the country and have to travel further. In the name of money, the SEC and Pac12 are never going to play each other very much. Tell me you knew.

Not if your "sissy boy conference" is afraid of airplanes (ever get around to making it out to the Palouse) for your home and home with Washington State ???

Didn't think so... pussies

The Big Boy Conference (The PAC) goes "coast to coast" every single year for OOC games.

Hell, the Big Boy Conference (The PAC) goes "border to border" for "conference" games every year.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

matteric wrote:
Not if your "sissy boy conference" is afraid of airplanes.

That's funny coming from you. The school you pimp is afraid of airplanes as well. Remember when Cal decided it would be better to bus to LA for a couple of seasons. You tried to spin it as a time savings or at worst time neutral, instead of the cost savings it was.

:lol:
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Dinsdale wrote:If you look up and down, the PAC and SEC were fairly even. Both had plenty of top 25 teams, which led to the eventual cannibalization.

Maybe a couple more good teams in the SEC... fair enough, since they have a couple more teams.

Both of their losses came against good teams. Both beat plenty of very good teams.
If we are talking about ranked teams, the Big XII had three in the next to last Playoff rankings. Talk about cannibalization.

Maybe the SEC and PAC 12 had a couple more good teams, fair enough since the SEC has 60% more and the SEC has a couple more.

TCU's loss was the best of any of the 1 loss teams. They also beat plenty of very good teams.

We can do this all day.

Bottom line is the committee voted for TVs for the final playoff spot.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Sudden Sam wrote:If the 4 best teams had gotten in, FSU would be sitting at home and either TCU or Baylor would be playing Oregon.

If only we had the top 8 this year.

Alabama-Michigan State

Oregon- Miss State

FSU-TCU

Baylor-Ohio State

An 8-teamer would be great...have the top 4 seeds host the opening round. Play them the week of Christmas. Then have semifinals at bowl sites on New Years Day.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

If you go to 8 teams then you have to take the P5 winners and the top rated non P5 winner. That would then leave two at large spots.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Left Seater wrote:If you go to 8 teams then you have to take the P5 winners and the top rated non P5 winner. That would then leave two at large spots.
Bullshit. No restrictions. Gotta earn it.

THE. BEST. TEAMS. ONLY.
“Hey! You scratched my anchor!”
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Which the conference winners would be.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Left Seater wrote:Which the conference winners would be.
You're missing the point. If Mizzou or Wisky won their CCGs, the committee should not be obligated to accept teams that are shit.
“Hey! You scratched my anchor!”
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

If Mizzou and Wisconsin won they would be the best team in their conf.

That would have been the second SEC loss for Bama and Wisco would have just beaten the alleged best of the B1G.

If you don't take the conf champs in an expanded playoff, why have conferences at all? Then it would just be an even bigger beauty pageant than it is today.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

The playoff committee would disagree with you.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Not this season. But that would have meant that no SEC team was included.

In an 8 team playoff, if you don't take the p5 conf champs, you might as well do away with the conferences completely.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I agree with Lefty. Play it out on the field. If that means a "less than" team wins their conference once in a while, so be it. This is how we do it in all the other major sports, and nobody ever questions the final results.

I'm tired of the beauty pageant system and all the non-stop bickering that comes with it. With a clear and structured system, we could just get back to enjoying the games without worrying about all the other stupid shit that comes with a system based purely on subjectivity.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Yep. Those are the breaks. The whole idea is to be your best when it matters most. If you can't do that...you ain't one of the best. That's how it works in the NCAA basketball tournament. The "best" team doesn't always win, rather, the team that can play their best when it matters most wins.

A slew of injuries is another matter, but if you're that banged up, then you probably shouldn't be in the playoff anyway.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

However, if we had an 8 team playoff, I'm assuming there would be three at-large teams selected, so a 12-1 MSU team would still probably be in.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Sudden Sam wrote:This is like the Falcons winning the NFC South with say...a 7-9 record and the Cowboys or whoever being left out at 11-5. It's wrong.

Conference championship games are a joke. If an undefeated Alabama has several major injuries or just a bad night and loses to a 4 loss Tennessee in the CCG, should UT go to the playoffs?
Listen, I tend to agree with you on CCGs. They are nothing but a cash grab. Problem is for most of the conferences there is no other way to determine a champion without one. That or you create a beauty contest within the conference.

So would it suck if Mizzou knocked off Bama and went to a playoff? Depends on who you ask. Plenty of people would be excited about it.

If you expand and don't take the champions of each of the P5 then there is no point in having any conferences. Just line up a schedule you think will win you one of the beauty contest slots and away we go.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Sudden Sam wrote:Michigan State goes 12-0, steamrolling every team on their schedule. They're ranked #1 in the country. They get beat 21-20 by 4 loss Iowa in the B1G CCG.
While we're on this hypothetical path, is it safe to assume that Iowa's losses would be to Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Northwestern and Minnesota? But with wins against Penn State and Michigan along with a nice salary bump?

Sorry, just my drive-by Ferentz-ian blast for the day. 8)
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield