Spring: Time For Gardening!

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Spring: Time For Gardening!

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Gonna have a few comrades over this weekend to begin production at People's Agricultural Facilty #1 (my backyard).

Time to turn soil and pull weeds!
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: Spring: Time For Gardening!

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I'll bet trev's got a backyard full of...

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Why don’t you just STFU.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I meant for making salads. Jeeeeeezus.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

I meant for pickling, you horrible cad!

HOW DARE YOU imply that those delicious garden delectables were intended for trev's "carnal desires"...

:x
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Why don’t you just STFU.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

late spring here, haven't even put in the tomato (no references to trev being a hot tomato, you degenerates) plants yet, usually done two weeks earlier.

and it's supposed to snow here tomorrow so planting season it is not.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Gardening is a year round job down here. One of the reasons we moved here was so MrsO could do her thing 365 days a year. My lemon tree is bearing its 2013 crop. My "cocktail tree" has fruit growing on 5 of its 6 grafted branches: Meyer lemon, Persian lime, Mineola tangelo, navel orange, and ruby red grapefruit. Harvest time should be late summer/early fall for them. The tangerine branch is small and I'm hoping it will bear fruit next year. Sadly my peach tree which had a lot of fruit a couple years ago has gone barren. I gave it one more year (ala the fig tree parable in the Bible) but it looks like that tree is going to be history. I'll plant a navel orange tree there at the end of the summer. The only other food crops as such on the property are oregano, basil, and parsley.
FYI: I mowed my yard today. It needed it. When summer comes it needs to be mowed about every 5 days.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Go big or go home on the gardening. 2 acres tilled today, start planting tomorrow.

Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

I took some dirt out of the bottom of my pond to mix in with the soil of my garden. Its heavier dirt that holds the moisture better in my sandy soil. I also mixed in some compost that i got from a local dairy. Have to be careful with putting too much compost on as it tends to harden up and seal the surface off.

Got my peas, brocolli, brussell sprouts and lettuce planted April 2(kind of late, March 15 would have been better). I'll work on the pumpkins, maters', cucs' bell peppers, carrots and beats hopefuly this coming weekend.

Supposed to frost tonight thou.
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Sudden Sam wrote:Dug up a good-size area for the wife...
I started reading this and immediately became concerned!

:shock:
Why don’t you just STFU.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Derron wrote:Go big or go home on the gardening. 2 acres tilled today, start planting tomorrow.

That looks like farming to me. Hope you take the tax deduction.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Yeah it is farming all right. Locally grown sustainable produce sells well. I take every tax deduction I can get.
Derron
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

that's a nice tractor, derron. bet you can dig a fighting position in about 30 seconds with that bad boy.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Derron wrote:Locally grown sustainable produce
You some kind of pot smoking, patchouli oil using, enviro-whacko hippie or something?
Last edited by Mikey on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

this is usually about when i plant a few tomato plants, but winter hasn't shown much interest in leaving this year. Must be that climate change thing i been hearing about.

Wolfie, peach trees, along with apple trees need to have the shit pruned out of them from time to time. I had a few very productive peach trees with my first house. They did well the first year I was there, then nothing.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:
Derron wrote:Yeah it is farming all right. Locally grown sustainable produce sells well. I take every tax deduction I can get.
You some kind of pot smoking, patchouli oil using, enviro-whacko hippie or something?
Nah, derron is a pot smoking, patchouli oil using libertarian gun nut. They are sort of related to hippie dude actually, till you tresspass and try to pick a few of their buds. Hippie dude will come out and smoke some with you. Gun nut dude will shoot you and use your carcass as a scarecrow.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I just finished off the last of my navel oranges and minneola tangelos, and cleared all of the Meyer lemons off the tree. All the citrus are in full bloom right now, which makes my whole neighborhood smell pretty good when the wind is blowing right. The white nectarine tree, which I finally pruned after several years of non-production, has some fruit just about lima bean size.

I still haven't gotten around to building my raised beds yet. :oops: But still might get it done by summer.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:I just finished off the last of my navel oranges and minneola tangelos, and cleared all of the Meyer lemons off the tree. All the citrus are in full bloom right now, which makes my whole neighborhood smell pretty good when the wind is blowing right. The white nectarine tree, which I finally pruned after several years of non-production, has some fruit just about lima bean size.

I still haven't gotten around to building my raised beds yet. :oops: But still might get it done by summer.
All done with chemical fertilizers from texas and water from colorado. Fukk off, thief.
Toddowen
it puts the lotion on its skin....

Post by Toddowen »

I gave up on gardening. The time and monetary investment just doesn't seem worth it when you can buy a case of canned tomatos with the spare change in my pocket.

Besides...the time I used to waste on gardening I now waste on fishing and boating. Lots more fun. Picked up an Oday daysailer a few weeks ago which I aim to use on nicer days.

Registration time is already a bitch. Now add another boat and another trailer to the mess.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote:
Mikey wrote:I just finished off the last of my navel oranges and minneola tangelos, and cleared all of the Meyer lemons off the tree. All the citrus are in full bloom right now, which makes my whole neighborhood smell pretty good when the wind is blowing right. The white nectarine tree, which I finally pruned after several years of non-production, has some fruit just about lima bean size.

All done with chemical fertilizers from texas and water from colorado. Fukk off, thief.
Yeah, well my fertilizer source just went up in smoke. What are you gonna do?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:
smackaholic wrote:

Yeah, well my fertilizer source just went up in smoke. What are you gonna do?
Buy produce from the naturally fertile U&L until the messicans teeeehans built a new bomb fertilizer factory.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

smackaholic wrote:that's a nice tractor, derron. bet you can dig a fighting position in about 30 seconds with that bad boy.
And you think I don't already have them dug ? Right to the left in the picture is our backstop for our shooting range.
Derron
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Mikey wrote:
Derron wrote:Locally grown sustainable produce
I thought a good SoCal like you would completely understand that bullshit. Its all about the marketing. You need to schedule a stop at my farm next time you are in the U & L, you California idiot, we could educate you a bit. Been know to hit the medicinal stuff back in the day, as for that other stuff... :lol: :lol:
Derron
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

smackaholic wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Derron wrote:Yeah it is farming all right. Locally grown sustainable produce sells well. I take every tax deduction I can get.
Nah, derron is a pot smoking, patchouli oil using libertarian gun nut. They are sort of related to hippie dude actually, till you tresspass and try to pick a few of their buds. Hippie dude will come out and smoke some with you. Gun nut dude will shoot you and use your carcass as a scarecrow.
Now there again you are stereo typing us U& L people. Probably about 70% whom have hit the pipe before and more than a few still do. Beats getting shitface drunk and puking your guts out. And if I did ever grow bud, you would never find it to pinch. Just another barter commodity. There is 500 acres behind my house, all visible and if I used trail cams, I will know who or what had been there. Gun nut, pretty accurate..scarecrow...not a bad idea really. Some of the local tweakers have some potential there. Libertarian ? Really ?? :lol: :lol: Constitutionalist mother fucker...get it right....
Last edited by Derron on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derron
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Toddowen wrote:I gave up on gardening. The time and monetary investment just doesn't seem worth it when you can buy a case of canned tomatos with the spare change in my pocket.

Canned tomatoes versus fresh picked ??? Discriminating palette you have there. :lol: :lol:
Derron
Toddowen

Post by Toddowen »

Derron wrote:
Toddowen wrote:I gave up on gardening. The time and monetary investment just doesn't seem worth it when you can buy a case of canned tomatos with the spare change in my pocket.

Canned tomatoes versus fresh picked ??? Discriminating palette you have there. :lol: :lol:
How about just buying fresh when in season?

Or better yet, just lifting them from someone's roadside stand that operates on the honor system.

I've got better things to do with my time than garden.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

smackaholic wrote:that's a nice tractor, derron. bet you can dig a fighting position in about 30 seconds with that bad boy.
how did this not get racked before now?
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Derron wrote:Right to the left in the picture is our backstop for our shooting range.
Oh, my goodness. Please be careful. Those "high capacity semi-automatic rifles" will render you deaf and blind and spin you around in circles with their devastating recoil.

--Feelsdix (hiding under his bed)
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Toddowen

Post by Toddowen »

My property doesn't support a garden very well. I've got some large trees , lots of shade. Even the grass struggles. And I'll bet I could be approaching $10k of tree trimming just to get an adequate spot to garden.

But it does stay rather cool on the hottest summer days. It's a trade off.

Think I'll wait for either a hurricane or the "Gubmint" to pay for my tree removal.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Toddowen wrote:My property doesn't support a garden very well. I've got some large trees , lots of shade. Even the grass struggles. And I'll bet I could be approaching $10k of tree trimming just to get an adequate spot to garden.

But it does stay rather cool on the hottest summer days. It's a trade off.

Think I'll wait for either a hurricane or the "Gubmint" to pay for my tree removal.
Grow some mushrooms.
Toddowen

Post by Toddowen »

It really surprises me that you wouldn't concur that I should have the government help me out.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Derron wrote:Right to the left in the picture
That's no way to rank 'em, boy.
"I see everything twice!"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Toddowen wrote:My property doesn't support a garden very well. I've got some large trees , lots of shade. Even the grass struggles.
I'm feelin' ya'.

~smackaholic
Toddowen

Post by Toddowen »

I've got some pretty extreme neighbors.

One on side I have a divorcee who is giving the Winchester Mystery House lady a run for her money. The place as been in a constant state of construction for two years now. And it's not a very large lot- only a half acre. But she's had additions put on, handicapped entrances, decks, walkways, tree trimmers,stove and furnace people, landscapers, and enough cement trucks that I would think that she has a replica of the Three Gorges Dam as a koi pond in her back yard.

Then there's the neighbor on the opposite side. In my nine years here I've yet to see her do one single home maintenance chore, if you ever see her at all. The property is so overgrown with weeds and vines that you will only see her house while driving by if you are really looking for it. She's scary reclusive. But at least she's quiet. So I don't Inquire as to why she lets her place go. I'd rather have a quiet neighbor as opposed to the dog abusing drunk dickhead that lived behind my place. So I figure it best to let sleeping dogs lie.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Blue Palo Verde

Numerous times I've come close to yanking this tree that I planted about 12 years ago behind our bedroom. It's really in the wrong place, on a hillside in uneven sun, so it keeps trying to grow out to one side. It seems like I have to prune half the foliage at least every other year or it wants to fall over. And the foliage is basically bare green stems with NASTY thorns that will poke through the seams on my leather gloves. I've shredded my arms to the point where they are bleeding profusely trying to keep this thing in check.

Then spring comes along and this starts to happen...

...and it always seems to last another year.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I did grow some cucumbers last year. But they were mini's. I didn't like them and will look for a different variety this year. I grew cukes, tomatoes, bell peppers and jalapeño peppers. I have to grow them on the table to try and keep them away from the dog.

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

trev wrote:I did grow some cucumbers last year. But they were mini's.

l to r: trev; mvscal
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

^^^ how has Tru not been Racked 6 times by now?

that was perfect.