Jury duty notice

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Jury duty notice

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

OKey doke!

Fifth time called. Chosen 4 times. Alternate, member, member, Foreman.

I have never tried to get out of it before, and probably won't now. Weird thing is this time, Show up time 12:15 pm. It's usually 7:30 am. That I can deal with. But the only thing I worry about is if it's a Grand Jury summons. If so, that a full time job, kinda, for up to 9 months.

Just thought I'd get any jury duty stories.
What were we just talking about?
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Re: Jury duty notice

Post by Moby Dick »

fuuuuuck jury duty.

quick question tho...lets say you have a job while on jury duty...do they pay you normal pay with overtime averaged in? or is it like a flat 100 dollars a day plus perdiem/provide food.

is it Monday-friday type of shit?
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Never had to serve, though once back in CNY sat all day with a pool of folks. Down here when I turned 70, I opted out for life which you can do in Florida. Works for me.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:OKey doke!

Just tell your 4 stories and leave the rest of us alone
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Moby Dick wrote:fuuuuuck jury duty.

quick question tho...lets say you have a job while on jury duty...do they pay you normal pay with overtime averaged in? or is it like a flat 100 dollars a day plus perdiem/provide food.
Laws vary by state, but most states pay a flat fee. Employers may, but are not required to, pay their employees serving on jury duty at their typical wage, in which case the employer, rather than the juror, receives the payment for jury service. I wouldn't expect to receive any overtime pay during jury duty.

I remember hearing a number when I was in law school that would make $100/day look extremely generous by comparison. But that was a long time ago, so things might have changed.
is it Monday-friday type of shit?
Monday-Friday most of the time. If you have a really high-profile case, the jury might be sequestered in a hotel over weekends, but I would say that's the exception rather than the rule.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Wolfman wrote:I opted out for life which you can do in Florida.
How come that doesn't surprise me?
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Thinking if you just stand up during selection and say " Every one of these mother fuckers is guilty as charged, why do we even bother with a trial, just fucking string them up right now. "

That might cast doubt on your ability to impartially judge the accused. Worth a try....
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I'm reminded of this bit from Chuck Klosterman's take on Knebworth-era Zeppelin (which is a great read)...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6696852/in-evening

There's a passing allusion to this in Richards' autobiography, Life, when he describes the impossibility of his receiving a fair trial after a questionable car accident in 1976: "A jury of my peers would be Jimmy Page, a conglomeration of musicians, guys who have been on the road and know what's what. My peers are not some lady doctor and a couple of plumbers." Keep this in mind the next time you get called in for jury duty. "I can't serve in this capacity," you might argue. "The defendant might be Keith Richards, and I am not an Aleister Crowley-obsessed reprobate. I'm not qualified."

The point being, can you imagine a jury/defendant combo comprised of Rog's peers?
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

I'm 42 years old and have been chosen for jury duty 5 times. 3 juries. Every time it was Mexican on Mexican crime or almost crime.

1st one, a mexican gang member shot up a rival gangs house. Guilty! I think he got thrown in the klink for 8 years. Bullet holes are still in the house 20 years later.

2nd one, a mexican was domestic violencing the mother of a couple/few of his kids. Guilty! He was a piece of shit.

3rd one, a mexican beat the shit out of his mothers landlord with a homemade club when he came into his mothers trailer to have pleasures with her against her will. Innocent! I respect that kid for standing up for his mom. Peace out bro.
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

I have never tried to get out of it before, and probably won't now. Weird thing is this time, Show up time 12:15 pm. It's usually 7:30 am. That I can deal with. But the only thing I worry about is if it's a Grand Jury summons. If so, that a full time job, kinda, for up to 9 months.

Cool story, bro...
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

I've been called three or four times, but only served once....it was on a DUI case where the cops pulled up on the guy who was sitting in the drivers seat of a running car outside of a bar.....they gave him field sobriety tests which he failed so obviously he was hammered.....problem was, the cops never saw him driving they just rolled up on him sitting in a running car.....at that time there was no law against this (that law has subsequently been changed) so we let the guy go.....the judge bitch slapped the cops down by asking them if they understood what the term DRIVING under the influence meant......

the looks on the cops faces were priceless....

they've changed the law so that if you're sitting behind the wheel of a running car, that's considered to be OPERATING a vehicle while intoxicated.....
get out, get out while there's still time
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

Derron wrote:Thinking if you just stand up during selection and say " Every one of these mother fuckers is guilty as charged, why do we even bother with a trial, just fucking string them up right now. "
Didn't quite phrase it like that... but I was seated on a panel during the selection process for some gangbanger bullshit. Upon being asked if I could be impartial by the defendants attorney, I replied, "Probably not, because if this guy is actually innocent of the charges before him now, more than likely he is probably guilty of something else that he hasn't been caught for yet."

The defense attorney immediately requested my dismissal from the panel.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

mvscal wrote:

Cool story, bro...
If they knew Shrubber ate percocets like tic-tacs and talked to owls would they reject him automatically, or would they want him even more?
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Van wrote:Chuck Klosterman's
Props on the Klosterman reset. Think I've got all his books on my shelf. He definitely sees the forest through the trees when it comes to pop culture.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Papa Willie wrote:They settled, we went home.
Together?
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Felix wrote:I've been called three or four times, but only served once....it was on a DUI case where the cops pulled up on the guy who was sitting in the drivers seat of a running car outside of a bar.....they gave him field sobriety tests which he failed so obviously he was hammered.....problem was, the cops never saw him driving they just rolled up on him sitting in a running car.....at that time there was no law against this (that law has subsequently been changed) so we let the guy go.....the judge bitch slapped the cops down by asking them if they understood what the term DRIVING under the influence meant......

they've changed the law so that if you're sitting behind the wheel of a running car, that's considered to be OPERATING a vehicle while intoxicated.....
I had a similar one where the guy was passed out behind the wheel half a mile up the road from the bar, door open, two other guys passed out in the back seat. An NCIS testified that he had pulled up behind when he was off duty because of the open door, and reached in to turn off the igintion, then called the cops. Nobody ever saw the dude drive the car. Plus there was some complicated story about how they had gone out for his birthday, got too drunk, called his ex girlfriend (and baby momma) for a ride but pissed her off, so she stopped and called HER friend for a ride and left the drunk fukkers on the side of the road. There were other details that didn't quite make sense, and I'd say I was 95% sure that he drove the car, but we couldn't really convict the guy based on the evidence.

Plus the prosecuting attorney couldn't get very simple north-south-east-west straight between Vista, Oceanside and Cardiff-by-the-Sea on Route 78 and PCH. Dude completely ruined his own credibilty with that.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Mikey wrote:
Felix wrote:I've been called three or four times, but only served once....it was on a DUI case where the cops pulled up on the guy who was sitting in the drivers seat of a running car outside of a bar.....they gave him field sobriety tests which he failed so obviously he was hammered.....problem was, the cops never saw him driving they just rolled up on him sitting in a running car.....at that time there was no law against this (that law has subsequently been changed) so we let the guy go.....the judge bitch slapped the cops down by asking them if they understood what the term DRIVING under the influence meant......

I had a similar one where the guy was passed out behind the wheel half a mile up the road from the bar, door open, two other guys passed out in the back seat. An NCIS testified that he had pulled up behind when he was off duty because of the open door, and reached in to turn off the igintion, then called the cops. Nobody ever saw the dude drive the car. Plus there was some complicated story about how they had gone out for his birthday, got too drunk, called his ex girlfriend (and baby momma) for a ride but pissed her off, so she stopped and called HER friend for a ride and left the drunk fukkers on the side of the road. There were other details that didn't quite make sense, and I'd say I was 95% sure that he drove the car, but we couldn't really convict the guy based on the evidence.

Plus the prosecuting attorney couldn't get very simple north-south-east-west straight between Vista, Oceanside and Cardiff-by-the-Sea on Route 78 and PCH. Dude completely ruined his own credibilty with that.
If the guy had drank in Cardiff, no doubt he was at The Kraken.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

Diego in Seattle wrote: If the guy had drank in Cardiff, no doubt he was at The Kraken.
What?

No love for the Shanty or the Office?
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

atomicdad wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote: If the guy had drank in Cardiff, no doubt he was at The Kraken.
What?

No love for the Shanty or the Office?
Those are definitely dives as well, but The Kraken tends to rack up more DUI arrests (being sort of isolated by the beach tends to help their numbers).
9/27/22
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Close but you're both wrong. It was Yogi's (which I think has a different name now) on San Elijo.

The guy was pointed north on PCH when picked up, just a little north of Yogi's on the other side of the tracks.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Mikey wrote:Close but you're both wrong. It was Yogi's (which I think has a different name now) on San Elijo.

The guy was pointed north on PCH when picked up, just a little north of Yogi's on the other side of the tracks.
It seems to me that Yogi's moved. I can't remember where to, though.
9/27/22
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

I would have said Yogi's but they closed up shop awhile ago. The place was never the same after they got kicked out of the Cardiff Seaside Market location that went upscale and moved down to PCH next to Las Olas.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Van wrote:
The point being, can you imagine a jury/defendant combo comprised of Rog's peers?
Hmmm........... Peers. That would would be straight males, married for over 25 years with children, with A.A., B.S. and M.A., former state law enforcement officer, worked and lived in Costa Rica (any country will do)for 2 years. Experience in information systems design and statistician for Juvenile Justice and Abuse and Neglect agencies for the State of Florida.

Having served the 4 times, trust me Van, you would LOOOOOOOVE! a jury comprised of me and my 'peers'. Cause it's usually bitter old/young women just WAITING to vent their perceived injustices of life on the defendant, ignorant old white, and black fools who know about as much about law as they do quantum physics, and a few people who work at Walmart or CVS, again with about as much legal knowledge as a maggot.

I feel that a federal law should be established to create a pool of qualified citizens, with a working knowledge of the judicial system, criminal and civil law, as well as the the court system. The 'peers' mentioned in the constitution were white , land owning males, educated or not. Things need to change.

Btw Van, ....have you ever served on a jury?
Last edited by Roger_the_Shrubber on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Cuda wrote:
mvscal wrote:

Cool story, bro...
If they knew Shrubber ate percocets like tic-tacs and talked to owls would they reject him automatically, or would they want him even more?
Sincerely, 2001

Old stupidity is still stupidity Cuda.

:meds:
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Nope, never got roped into having to serve on a jury. I've always managed to get out of it.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Rog,

Give us a detailed play by play. The lawyers here love details
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:Sincerely, 2001

Old stupidity is still stupidity Cuda.

:meds:
actually, your self-congratulatory spiel about your peers and a federally qualified jury pool shows you're way more unhinged now than when you talked to the owls and munched on narcotic pain pills.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

No, it really doesn't.

Crawl back in your hole Cuda.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:No, it really doesn't.

Nobody expects you to realize how unstable you are, but it's pretty obvious to everybody else
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Cuda,

Ya know the one thing I do not know is anything about you.

Fill us in. It's been 12 years

Are you a normal business man, or just some basement dwelling freak?
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:Are you a normal business man, or just some basement dwelling freak?
Why must it be either/or? Might he be a normal freaky basement-dwelling businessman?
"I see everything twice!"
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Smackie Chan wrote:
Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:Are you a normal business man, or just some basement dwelling freak?
Why must it be either/or? Might he be a normal freaky basement-dwelling businessman?
I believe those are better known as dealers.
9/27/22
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
Smackie Chan wrote:
I believe those are better known as dealers.
What the fuck would you know about anything having to do with anyone over age 5, Short Eyes?

RACK!, Smackie, though
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

From whom do you suppose he buys five year olds? I'm sure Diego is quite familiar with the "basement dwelling freak" demographic.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

You got me there. I really never gave that any thought at all.