2013 Free Agent List

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: 2013 Free Agent List

Post by Shoalzie »

The Tigers address their need for a veteran right-handed corner outfielder and #2 hitter...Torii Hunter signs a 2-year deal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... b&c_id=mlb

The first 5 in the Tigers order in '13...Jackson, Hunter, Cabrera, Fielder, Martinez. Giggity!
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

We'll see. Old has a way of creeping up on you quickly.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

R-Jack wrote:Old has a way of creeping up on you quickly.
Say what?!?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Don't forget about the best signing of them all:

Boston also hired Greg Colbrunn as hitting coach. :lol:

Can you say best hitting coach of alltime? He will turn Salty and Nava into hitters the caliber of Piazza and Ramirez in their primes. :lol:

I almost feel sorry for the rest of the AL East as they eat Boston's ass next year. "3 teams gonna win 90 games next year in the AL East?" It won't hold a candle to Boston's 102 wins. :lol:

Oh yeah, I guess I forgot to log in with my YAFJ troll.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Winter Meetings underway...

Napoli signs with the Red Sox
Pagan re-signs with the Giants

Today's big news, Haren signs a one-year deal with the Nats...
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Royals are definitely on the come...big fan of their lineup and a really solid defensive club. They need start pitching to compete with the likes of Tigers. Adding Shields and Santana does help. Had to give up a highly touted prospect in Myers but you just added one of the best innings-eating workhorses of the last few seasons.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

KC Scott wrote: I'll take proven talent over prospects any day - even if it is for only two years in Shields
I agree. KC can't be waiting for prospects to break out any longer. Shields is very underrated b/c he hasn't pitched in a big market but he's the real deal. They finally seem to have some direction- I'd like to see them win 90 games and get a WC into the playoffs. It would be good for baseball.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Considering you have Starling in the system...and he looks really good...I don't think giving up Myers hurts so much. They've been very solid in producing position players. Pitching has been hideous in terms of their high draft picks and top prospects busting. If they aren't going to be able to keep that core to together forever given the Royals don't spend a lot...it's best to get pitching now and take a shot at getting in the playoffs. That extra wild card and seeing teams like the O's and A's rise up has to give hopes to the Royals and Blue Jays, who have both been very aggressive this winter.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

I got a message today saying that Anibal Sanchez is signing with the Cubs for $75 million (I assume for 4 years) but I haven't seen any confirmation from the media.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Shoalzie wrote:That extra wild card and seeing teams like the O's and A's rise up has to give hopes to the Royals and Blue Jays, who have both been very aggressive this winter.
The difference is the A's got there trading their high value pieces for prospects and undervalued potential. The Royals are doing the opposite.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Mace wrote:I got a message today saying that Anibal Sanchez is signing with the Cubs for $75 million (I assume for 4 years) but I haven't seen any confirmation from the media.

*PRICE IS RIGHT LOSING HORN*

http://www.freep.com/article/20121214/S ... img|Sports

Tigers low-balled him initially and it sounded like they were going to look they were going to have shop around. I kinda wonder why they didn't throw a similar offer at Dan Haren at the Nats signed him for. Sanchez was probably the best arm left on the market along with Lohse once Greinke signed.

$16 million a year for a 3rd or 4th starter is a lot of money but in Mr. I's case...no hockey right now and you can't take the money to the grave. He's got the new arena project for the Wings and I'm sure he'd love to see that built as well as see the Tigers win a World Series before he kicks it...he's willing to throw around the bread to get him that title. They overpaid for Hunter also.

They still need to figure out the closer spot...saw Joel Hannrahan's name in trade rumors. And the shortstop position is allegedly up for grabs...the Stephen Drew rumors have died down but it sounded like they wanted to get rid of Peralta.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

KC Scott wrote:in another questionable move - Angles give Josh Hamilton $125M - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/josh-hamil ... 15075.html

they needed pitching and ended up with yet another aging slugger - guess they plan to try and trade Wells or Trumbo to get... uh... not sure what they would get
I am not sure in what world 31 qualifies as 'aging'... but whatever. He's played 5 full seasons in the bigs. If he takes care of himself, he'll probably continue to be an upper echelon player for at least 4 of the 5 years.

In addition, what do you mean the Angels need pitching? They have an awesome #1 (Weaver). They have a very good #2(Wilson). They have a decent #3 (Hanson). They are relying on Richards/Williams to finally realize their potential in the 4 and 5 slot. If either of them fail, they have Blanton to muck through his usual 200 innings, 4.60ish ERA, and 10-12 wins. Or maybe they even trot Nick Maronde out there. I know he's currently in their bullpen, but he was their top starting pitcher prospect last year and came up for a cup of coffee in Sept with good results. They have Burnett/Frieri/Madson pitching innings 7, 8, and 9. That is a strong back end of the bullpen. What are you seeing that I am not, dude?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Angels will be fine but this rotation won't be as good as what it was at the end this season. Hanson has screwed up mechanics...the Braves basically gave him away and a few years ago, Hanson was hot shit. They should've gotten Bourjos instead of Walden with the bullpen they have...but that's another issue.

You don't just let Greinke and Haren walk and trade away a solid 4th or 5th guy in Santana...and all they do is add Hanson. Weaver is elite, Wilson is solid, Hanson is a wild card...can be excellent but I wonder when he's going to blow out his arm with that jerky motion. Richards is pretty good from what I've seen of him. They might have to trade away Trumbo or Morales and probably Bourjos or Wells. If they can get a starter to round out the rotation, they'll be very strong next year.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Actually Sam, except for a decent Aug... he sucked after the month of May. He piled up a large part of his numbers in the first two months.

Sin,
Any 2012 Josh Hamilton fantasy owner
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Nice move by the Angels...they get Jason Vargas from Seattle for Morales.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

I think it's a better move for the Mariners. I am not sold on most pitchers who do well in San Diego or Seattle. And this guy is one of 'em. His home ERA last year was 2.74 and 4.78 on the road. I think his halfway decent stats are because he pitches half his games in a very pitcher-friendly park. Buyer beware on this guy.

Conversely, when Morales is healthy (not so much since his breakout 2009 season), he is a legit .300, 35 HR, 120 RBI guy.

This move just means Seattle is ready for Walker and/or Hultzen to step into their rotation.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:I am not sold on most pitchers who do well in San Diego or Seattle.

[cough]DougFister[/cough]
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Fister has 5 pitches and is actually a very good pitcher. He's an intimidating presence on the mound and doesn't walk anyone.

Vargas has a really nice change-up and not much else. Good luck with that...
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff
2023/24 3BB Champion, 2022/2023 3BB CoChampion

Post by Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff »

Mike Napoli to the Red Sox.

How come he wasn't on your list, dumbass?
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

That and the fact the Sux found him worth $34 million less when they found out he has hips like a German Shepard. :lol:
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Papa Willie wrote:
KC Scott wrote:if Justin's brother BJ gets his shit together - that's a pretty strong outfield with Jason Heyward

Agreed. I just hope they do what they're capable of. Atlanta has never been a city known to have much good luck - in ANY sport, though!
A bajillion Division titles in a row said WHAT to a KC fan?