Duke Vitale...

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

helmet
Elwood

Duke Vitale...

Post by helmet »

From DBR:
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/main/index.cgi?6637
What do a Nobel Prize winning physicist, a long-time American diplomat, an accomplished jazz pianist, and Dick Vitale have in common? They are all scheduled to receive honorary degrees from Duke University at this year's commencement ceremonies on Sunday, May 15, according to University Provost Peter Lange. Chilean President Ricardo Lagos (Duke Ph.D. '66) was previously announced as the commencement speaker.

Vitale, who has often been criticized for lauding Duke on ESPN, is said to be "speechless," if you can imagine that.

Quoting Lange from the news release: "Dick Vitale is many things, but most of all, he's a humanitarian. His work with charities and education is legendary. Moreover, Dick has done as much as anyone to promote Duke's reputation as a school that gets it right: combining top flight academics with top notch athletics while adhering to the highest ethical standards."

Not everyone is thrilled.

"It's a terrible idea," says Vitale's ESPN colleague Jay Bilas. "It's just going to further the stereotype of Duke's preferential treatment."

Bilas went on to say that while he likes Vitale personally, he doesn't always appreciate his broadcast excesses.

"Dick's a great guy," said Bilas. "He's immensely charming and totally real. He'd give you the shirt off his back in a heartbeat, something we try to keep him from doing, because it scares animals and small children. I love the guy. But Duke isn't the only good program out there. UNC is solid, Kentucky does things the right way under Tubby Smith, Bruce Weber is a straight arrow. I say let's praise who deserves it and not just focus on one or two particular schools."

Vitale, who irritated Duke fans a decade ago with incessant references to "Michelangelo," when referring to Dean Smith, and "The General," when referring to Indiana's Bob Knight, has been widely criticized for appearing to be overtly in favor of Duke. He maintains that praising someone for doing things the right way is appropriate, and that Duke is "awesome, baby!"

Congratulations, Dick!
Lock and load, Duke haters. Lute Olson might have a few thoughts on this. Personally, I think it's a dumb idea.

April Fool's
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

No one here is the least bit surprised.

Rack Bilas, by the way.

back atcha.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

He'd give you the shirt off his back in a heartbeat, something we try to keep him from doing, because it scares animals and small children
Bwah!
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

He'd give you the shirt off his back in a heartbeat, something we try to keep him from doing, because it scares animals and small children
Can't remember who said it (maybe George Carlin?), but they were talking about the "stupid things said on the airplane".

"If you are in need of special help getting on the plane of you have small children, you can board first."

The reply was...

"Well, what about people with LARGE children?"

Anyhow, guess you had to be there...
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Degree aside, Dickie V has been nothing but great for college basketball.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

Agreed. Say what you will about the guy and his team bias, but to me he IS college basketball... Him and Jewish Gangsters.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Him and Jewish Gangsters.
Ahhh, memories.

One day many years from now when I can no longer fly I am going to sit down and write a coffee table book about this groups boards and inside sayings. I will include pictures of the various posters I have met over the years, etc.

Think of the chapter possibilities:

Board Bitches
Where have they gone, and were they run or did they just fade away?
The legend that is Carl Hungus
Epic Milestone posts
A collection of famous phrases; phonebook, buttfucked in the mouth, don't flame me if I am wrong, living rent free in your dome, jewish gangsters, et al
Bios on the old time posters

Yep that is going to be a great book someday.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Arch Angel
Elwood

Post by Arch Angel »

"Lay off the man, he helps me recruit with the unending banter of our beloved university and AmEx commercials."

Sincerely,

Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

He might be in love w/ Duke, but he does a good job of promoting the game and other programs that follow the rules. I think it sucks that he doesnt get to call any March Madness games. Dickie V is college basketball.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Cicero wrote:He might be in love w/ Duke, but he does a good job of promoting the game and other programs that follow the rules. I think it sucks that he doesnt get to call any March Madness games. Dickie V is college basketball.

True. I think he's more of an ACC homer than just a Dukie apologist. If he was so in love with the Devils, why were the Heels his pick to win it all since the preseason? For him to say nice things about a program that wins consistently, has a coach that demands respect, has a passionate student body and doesn't do anything wrong...I think some are jealous he's not kissing their asses. He does know a lot about the entire college game so it's not like he's just got an East Coast bias. Between Vitale and Packer...give me Vitale.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

i'll take raftery over both of them.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Raftery and Vitale should do the Final Four and Packer/Nance should do the Womens Final Four.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Cicero wrote:He might be in love w/ Duke, but he does a good job of promoting the game and other programs that follow the rules. I think it sucks that he doesnt get to call any March Madness games. Dickie V is college basketball.
Alright. What about those of us who loved college basketball before this uckster rolled into town? Because he's promoting hoops, do we have to listen to 15 Duke references during a game that Duke isn't playing in.

I don't buy the argument. Let the game suffer from a lack of charismatic draws so that I can watch Mizzou/Kansas without the ACC being the topic of discussion.

Hope you retire soon, Dukie V.
why is my neighborhood on fire
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Screw_Michigan wrote:i'll take raftery over both of them.
it was great to hear Raftery and Elmore do games in teh early rounds of the tournament. they actually seem to *like* basketball and genuinely want to see good hoops from both teams in a contest....and enjoy it.

Packer's curmudgeon act is a little too much. "that was a terrible play...".

if you really sit and listen to what Packer is saying it makes *no* sense, about 85% of the time.

edit: we rarely get Elmore out here in Colorado. i really like him and Gus Johnson for network guys--
Ang
Jumpin' Little Juke Joint Gal

Post by Ang »

Say what you will about his preferences which are obvious, but after many years of watching college basketball and listening to college basketball on radio, I think there is no one that is as enthusiastic about the whole college game as Vitale.

For sure, he misses a few vitals like names :) but he always gets the essentials of the game right. That's why he has lasted so long in what he does.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Cicero wrote:Raftery and Vitale should do the Final Four and Packer/Nance should do the Womens Final Four.
Good call...and Gus Johnson should do the play-by-play.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Johnson and Elmore = professionalism at its peak. Johnson goes by-the-book to a tee, but I have no problems with that (dude never slips up) and Elmore doesn't try to be greater than the game like Vitale and Raftery. He also breaks plays down much more concisely, and clearly has more technical knowledge of what's going on on the floor than those two.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Bizzarofelice wrote:
Alright. What about those of us who loved college basketball before this uckster rolled into town? Because he's promoting hoops, do we have to listen to 15 Duke references during a game that Duke isn't playing in.

I don't buy the argument. Let the game suffer from a lack of charismatic draws so that I can watch Mizzou/Kansas without the ACC being the topic of discussion.

Hope you retire soon, Dukie V.
Pretty good point. I've said this before but even Duke fans get tired of him. Yep, he'll be doing some Big 12 game and then launch into the Tobacco Road thing. We all know the state of North Carolina has the best basketball and the Big two are usually right in the mix (would like to see Wake and State contribute a little more often) but he just goes on and on too much.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Last night on one of the Sportscenter-post tournament segments in St. Louis, Chris Fowler mentioned that it will be the first time since 1975 that No. 1 will play No. 2 in the championship game. Vitale chimed in with, "And they did it on the court, imagine that! Not like football. Here you have the two best teams in America and they played their way to the championship, not like football!"

He gets a rack for smacking the BCS.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Everytime to you watch the Big Dance after watching Bowl Week/Month in college football...there's just no comparison. College hoops does it right.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Left Seater wrote:Degree aside, Dickie V has been nothing but great for college basketball.
Sorry, gotta disagree. Even though his daughter's a Domer, The Eye irritates me like no other. He's the greatest advertisement the mute button on your remote ever saw.

I'm a little older than you and have been watching college basketball a little longer, but I much preferred Al McGuire to The Eye, if only because it was actually possible to get away from Al McGuire.
Shoalzie wrote: think he's more of an ACC homer than just a Dukie apologist.
Agree. Perhaps one of the reasons why he's so irritating, imho.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Perhaps one of the reasons why he's so irritating, imho.

I think what's most irritating with him is the canned replies to a great play. Every dunk is "he's a skywalker...up, up and away!" or "slam jam bam!". He tries to have fun but after listening to the same dozen catchphrases for 15 years or so, I get burned out by him.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

"DIPSY DOO, DUNKAROO BABY!!!!!!"
moon
Elwood

Post by moon »

Believe the Heupel wrote:YEAH! #1 PLAYED #2! NOT LIKE FOOTBALL AT ALL!!! YOU KNOW, WHERE #1 PLAYED er.. #2.
that was awesome! esecially how it worked out that there was no controversy over who was #1, #2 or #3. Worked out perfectly.
moon
Elwood

Post by moon »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
Left Seater wrote:Degree aside, Dickie V has been nothing but great for college basketball.
Sorry, gotta disagree. Even though his daughter's a Domer, The Eye irritates me like no other. He's the greatest advertisement the mute button on your remote ever saw.

I'm a little older than you and have been watching college basketball a little longer, but I much preferred Al McGuire to The Eye, if only because it was actually possible to get away from Al McGuire.
Shoalzie wrote: think he's more of an ACC homer than just a Dukie apologist.

Because what we need is more guys pimpng the Big East on the great year they had....Oh wait thats right they didn't
Agree. Perhaps one of the reasons why he's so irritating, imho.
Arch Angel
Elwood

Post by Arch Angel »

I am a star baybee...... just look at me!!!!

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Damn helmet.

I think I was the only one that saw the fine print and I was the first reply.

Rack you for the April Fool's Joke that got over on almost everyone.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Genius. Nobody does more with less posts....
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Damn. I just caught it. I didnt even see it the first couple of times I read it. It was soo good b/c I think all of us could see it actually being true.