Longwhorens?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

The Seer
Just the Facts

Longwhorens?

Post by The Seer »

All the vicodin ingested lately is affecting my memory...who are the Texas honks?
E UNUM PLURIBUS
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Re: Longwhorens?

Post by campinfool »

We are all taking time off since Texas has a bye week this week.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Your last bye was 66-3.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

That was 13 years ago. Want to be UCLA doesn't score 1/4 of that? I like the bye week. We need to be rested for a real game against OU.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

It was 13 years ago.

12 years ago you held us to only 49 points in a 49-31 loss...

115 points in 2 games....normally that would suggest a place setting for some payback, but the shellacking I believe helped pave the way for Mackovic to be dismissed and your current coach to be hired....so instead of payback maybe a serenade???

With Neuheisel & Purina fumbling in the darkness on offense with an ill-equipped starting QB, doubt much concern will be raised in Austin.

But hey, props for scheduling us.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

All the vicodin ingested lately is affecting my memory
Hell yeah it's affected your memory....you haven't called me for any....Hey, We're at TPC Oct 12,13.....come on out and we'll get 18 in......
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

The Seer wrote:It was 13 years ago.

12 years ago you held us to only 49 points in a 49-31 loss...
I was at both games. The difference is you do not have Cade McNown or Skip Hicks. You also do not have a defense.
Laxplayer wrote: 115 points in 2 games....normally that would suggest a place setting for some payback, but the shellacking I believe helped pave the way for Mackovic to be dismissed and your current coach to be hired....so instead of payback maybe a serenade???
The UCLA series was the best thing that happened to us that season. We were not ready to play. Mackovic was not a good coach and it ushered him out the door. Thank god for that.
Laxplayer wrote: With Neuheisel & Purina fumbling in the darkness on offense with an ill-equipped starting QB, doubt much concern will be raised in Austin.
Neuheisel is not a liked figure in Austin. When he was at Colorado in 1997 they had the game won. They were up 10 with less than a minute to go and all he had to do was kneel on the ball. Did he? No. He threw a bomb. The ball was stopped inside the 5. I will never forget watching him fist pump down the sidelines. Did he kneel after that? No. He scored. It wasn't UCLA that did this but it was their coach and retribution will be paid....similar to the 70-3 beating we put on Colorado a few years ago.

66-3 is still in the minds of many Texas fans. DeLoss remembers. I saw a sign at that game that read "Dump DeLoss and flush the John".

Texas is going to be unmerciful and frankly, I cannot wait to watch the carnage.
Laxplayer wrote: But hey, props for scheduling us.
You are welcome. I am looking foreward to the roadie to SoCal next year.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Harvdog wrote: Neuheisel is not a liked figure in Austin. When he was at Colorado in 1997 they had the game won. They were up 10 with less than a minute to go and all he had to do was kneel on the ball. Did he? No. He threw a bomb. The ball was stopped inside the 5. I will never forget watching him fist pump down the sidelines. Did he kneel after that? No. He scored. It wasn't UCLA that did this but it was their coach and retribution will be paid....similar to the 70-3 beating we put on Colorado a few years ago.
Substitute Oregon for Texas, and substitute the '96 Cotton Bowl for your conference game, and substitute a fake punt for a bomb, and you now have the recipe for retribution, just like Texas is going to do.

As a young coach, Weasel painted so many bullseyes on his back that will never be erased. Too bad for UCLA they're going to be the ones bearing the brunt of his misdeeds.

Normally, I hope the Whorns lose every game. If the crystal football came down to Texas or the Taliban, I'd be on the fence about it. And I'll certainly root for the PAC OOC... except this weekend.

Weasel ran up the score on a fake punt in a bowl... then had the audacity to take the UDub job. We don't even appreciate him for completely trashing our archrival's program. Dude is universally hated in the U&L.

This is very painful, but...

Go Texas!

My enemy's enemies are my friends.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:Is UT's offense capable of running up the score this year? Even against that UCLA defense?

Texas appears to have one heck of a defense. With all the hits to the starting lineup that the Ruins have taken this season, the Texas D can probably push them so far backwards, Texas can rack up at least 10 safeties on them.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Sudden Sam wrote:
Harvdog wrote:
Texas is going to be unmerciful
Harv,

Is UT's offense capable of running up the score this year? Even against that UCLA defense?
Sam,

They have shown nothing. They are so conservative that it is ridiculous. I think they are saving everything for OU and NU.

In their 3 games they have stayed in a base scheme and tried to run. Nothing sexy just base stuff. I suspect that will change a little this week. The receivers have speed. Mike Davis is really good. I expect GG to go off. The line is average. I think that 50 on UCLA is a possibility. The defense is better than last year. They held TT to 144 yards and 7 point. The other 7 came on a deflection int. that was returned for a TD.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

That's not very Xtian of you....Neuheisel is a born again coach; Could have easily scored an extra TD vs. Houston and took a knee. Being an asst coach at a Washington H.S. can humble a man....

I have no doubt you'll cover the spread - but unless last week was an aberration, the D has begun to step up. Like Dins said, with our QB (Princess), you might score more on safeties than field goals....

Be interesting to see how the staff preps all the true freshman getting PT with the sights & sounds they'll have in Austin.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

P.S.

Maybe you're trying to manufacture some payback? The TD you mentioned regarding being up by 10 and winning by 17 doesn't sound so dramatic.

Mack & Skippy were on that coaches tour last year that went to the middle east and other locales.....

The players weren't old enough to know what the Hell the score was in '97 and the coaches weren't there either....

The hate will be coming from the stands...and if you suit up watch out for # 42...
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

Harv....when did I write all that??????
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Laxplayer wrote:Harv....when did I write all that??????
Guilt by association....

Golf sounds like it might work one of those dates.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

My bad Lax.
txangler74
Elwood

Post by txangler74 »

Well that interesting.
F-You man, I'll never go to Texas. I hated Texas from that point on.
-Eric Dickerson on his recruitment to the University of Texas
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

txangler74 wrote:Well that interesting.
it's on now. UCLA takes the opening drive of the half for a TD to go up 20-3.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Its like 1997 all over again!
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Dammit horns, couldn't you have saved this performance for us? I expected some pre-RRS malaise but geez. Davis has a ton of work to do.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

Wow Texas is not very good. Even the defense looks suspect. The offense has no identity, no running game, no leaders, and no play makers. Sometimes after a loss past Texas teams have pulled it together and finished strong. Unfortunately I just don't see this team doing much. I suppose us Texas fans have become spoiled at 10 win seasons but with all the talent on the roster I just expected a little more than I have seen this year. I'm almost thankful my job has been forcing us to work 7 10 hour days for a while. Not sure if I can stomach this team this year.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Danimal wrote:Dammit horns, couldn't you have saved this performance for us? I expected some pre-RRS malaise but geez. Davis has a ton of work to do.
Davis hasn't been nearly as successful with pocket passer types....granted, pretty rarefied comparison with VY and McCoy. Davis has leaned on the zone-read option stuff for most of the last half decade.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Texas is NOT very good. Allowed 34 from a one dimensional offense. Texas teams seem like the right type of competition to work out some kinks. The easy part of our schedule is over. The work starts up again with conference play.

Harv?

Good BYE!
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Congrats on the win. UCLA deserved the win. At least we held you to half of what you scored last time!
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

I have a feeling Mack will have them ready to play next week....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Maybe ucla should only play schools from texas
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

OK. I'll take SoS points for Oregon.

What a fun day.

Rack everyone whose team has won so far... especially Nolesy.

Great night of games coming.

Happy over here.

Go OS... which hurts.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Trojans won which means they likely drop 2 or 3 more spots in the AP Poll like they did after the first 3 wins. Does that mean they will go up in the polls after losses because I see the losses starting to rack up starting next week.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Sure glad I'm not Mack Brown this week. I really wouldn't even know where to start.

Punchless on offense, horseshit defense, horseshit special teams, turnovers, penalties, dropped passes, missed tackles, blown assignments, boneheaded mistakes you fucking name it. I don't know...are there any other ways you can fuck up in a game? If so, I'm sure we touched on them at least once.

I don't care who's up next week. There was unfinished business to be settled with UCLA today. That team should have come out chewing nails, shitting fire and gorilla stomping the ratshit out of the Bruins. Instead they fucking embarassed themselves. They brought nothing, showed nothing.

In my opinion that sucked.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

harv...no worries....seer.....just drop me a call and we'll get out one of those days. I'm going to let my asst. coach play one of them since he looks forward to playing out there.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

mvscal wrote:Sure glad I'm not Mack Brown this week. I really wouldn't even know where to start.

Punchless on offense, horseshit defense, horseshit special teams, turnovers, penalties, dropped passes, missed tackles, blown assignments, boneheaded mistakes you fucking name it. I don't know...are there any other ways you can fuck up in a game? If so, I'm sure we touched on them at least once.

I don't care who's up next week. There was unfinished business to be settled with UCLA today. That team should have come out chewing nails, shitting fire and gorilla stomping the ratshit out of the Bruins. Instead they fucking embarassed themselves. They brought nothing, showed nothing.

In my opinion that sucked.

I didn't buy into the "unfinished business" or "payback" deal for this game. Ya fans were thinking it but not the folks that count. The players were freaking kindergarteners when that debacle went down and Mack wasn't there. Hell it was the reason Mack has the job, he owes Bob Toledo a steak. That said, UCLA was still a name opponent coming-off a confidence-builder against Houston. I understand the RRS is looming but you gotta bring your lunchbucket and come for a fight.

My 'skers did the same damn thing, just didn't come to play football,
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Danimal wrote:I didn't buy into the "unfinished business" or "payback" deal for this game. Ya fans were thinking it but not the folks that count. The players were freaking kindergarteners when that debacle went down
So what? They're Longhorns now and that means becoming part of the history and tradition of the institution. That history includes a 66-3 asskicking at the hands of UCLA at Texas. So if you think that game has been forgotten on campus, you had better guess again.

It doesn't work that way at Texas and probably a lot of other schools as well.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

mvscal wrote:In my opinion that sucked.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

mvscal wrote:So what? They're Longhorns now and that means becoming part of the history and tradition of the institution. That history includes a 66-3 asskicking at the hands of UCLA at Texas. So if you think that game has been forgotten on campus, you had better guess again.

It doesn't work that way at Texas and probably a lot of other schools as well.
You're still trying to get 18-22 year old kids to remember a game that happend before they started watching college football. Fans remember, school officials remember, but most of the kids don't care. Many of the players are not likely die hard fans, so it's just a random game in the thousands that Texas has played.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Killian wrote:You're still trying to get 18-22 year old kids to remember a game that happend before they started watching college football. Fans remember, school officials remember, but most of the kids don't care.
If that were true, there would be no such thing as a traditional rivalry. The Red River Shootout wouldn't mean squat. How old were the current players the last time A&M was relevant? Think that's just another game among thousands played?

Is Michigan-OSU just another game? Army-Navy? Auburn-Alabama? USC-UCLA? Oregon-Oregon St.?

How do any of these games mean anything if the players don't embrace and become part of that tradition? Sure there are a few assholes on every team who don't care about tradition, but I'd say they would be a very small minority of participants.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

You're comparing one game to annual rivalries. If Stanford played Texas this year, you honestly think Stanford players would care about the ass raping Texas gave Stanford in (I think) '99?

Annual rivalries are important to the players for that exact reason. They play every year so every player who has put on a jersey at State U has played Tech in the Whooptie Do Shootoutbrawlgame.

Mack may have mentioned the game you reference, but the only thing it probably did for the current players was have them think, "I didn't know that guy played for UCLA/Texas."
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

re: 66-3, mvscal's point, and contemporary game relevance:

in the 1985, 1986, 1987 seasons, Oklahoma went 33-3. All 3 losses were to Miami (Fl.). one at home, one in Miami, and one in the Orange Bowl for the MNC. in 85, Jerome Brown breaks Troy Aikman's leg and Miami wins in Norman for the only Sooner loss of the season. OU rebounds to beat undefeated Penn St. in the Orange Bowl and at the same time Tennessee beats Miami in the Sugar Bowl.....giving the MNC to Oklahoma. 86, @Miami is OU's only loss. Miami wins MNC. In 87, Miami beats OU in the Orange Bowl for the MNC. For OU homer fan, Miami costs OU 3 consecutive MNC's (debatable, but it's homer logic). Much bitterness from the Switzer era Sooner for Jimmy Johnson (former OK State coach) and the Canes. 66-3 may have been an embarrassment to a proud program like UT....but, nationally, it's significance is minimal. In fact, as others have pointed out, it's "net" effect is beneficial to UT since Makovic is basically on the way out after it....paving the way for Mack Brown. take Miami off the board, and OU wins and unprecedented 3 straight MNC's (it could be argued).

In 07, Miami plays at Owen Field in the first match-up between the two programs since the 80's. Switzer era fan is ready to get some "revenge" on Miami....hoo boy. OU wins 51-17. But, really, it didn't mean squat. the revenge factor was made of paper once the game started. i could have cared less about the past. and to mvscal's point, i think it's not a stretch to argue that OU would be "one of those programs" for whom tradition and memory are a big part of being "a fan". if 2 lost MNC's dissipate, 66-3 surely does as well. JMO.

i have more "anger" at Miami for beating a shit OU team *last year* than the anguish the Canes visited on a high school King Crimson who lived and died with each Sooner game.
"
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Killian wrote:You're comparing one game to annual rivalries.
It was a game memorable enough to have its own name so, yes, that game has passed into lore and the fact that we've been kicked in the pills in subsequent meetings just adds to it. The game will not and should not be forgotten until we return the favor one day.

In other words, it most definitely isn't just another game.
If Stanford played Texas this year, you honestly think Stanford players would care about the ass raping Texas gave Stanford in (I think) '99?
Don't know/care how Stanford regards getting brutally ass raped on their own field. Personally, I would expect the Cardinals to come out fired up and looking for payback. That's all part of the fun.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Mvscal, I think you're comparing apples and oranges. Of course tradition matters but IMO tradition is OU and ATM. UCLA? Not so much. UCLA is a noncon the horns happened to play shitty against thirteen years ago. Middle-aged fans like me see the payback aspect but kids are different. I do think maybe Mack could've used the payback angle some to get the kids more up and focused for this one, but I couldn't see them breathing fire and screaming for vengeance.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

King Crimson wrote:...if 2 lost MNC's dissipate, 66-3 surely does as well. JMO.
But it didn't really dissipate until you finally kicked the shit out them, did it? That's the point I'm trying to make here.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

mvscal wrote:
King Crimson wrote:...if 2 lost MNC's dissipate, 66-3 surely does as well. JMO.
But it didn't really dissipate until you finally kicked the shit out them, did it? That's the point I'm trying to make here.
i get your point. my point is that the game didn't matter in any significant way in terms of the past. it's NOT the case that the "ghosts" of Miami were exorcised after the W (your point). Quite the opposite, I'm saying once the game started, it didn't matter at all except in the flimsiest of symbolic ways, perhaps.
"