Rental Review:Saw

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

The Assassin
Raider Fan

Rental Review:Saw

Post by The Assassin »

What I liked- The way it was shot,very dark,very creepy. Looked like a NIN video at times. The concept was good,the "killer" makes his victims kill themselves, he never does the killing. The flashbacks to how these 2 ended up in the dirty bathroom were good also. Why these 2 were chosen, what they remember,don;t remember.

What I didn't like- the scenerios the killer placed his other victims in was too far fetched. One guy trapped in a cage of barbed wire,and had to climb over it to get to a trap door. The girl with a bear trap atached to her head with explosives in it,and had to cut open another persons stomach to get the key to it. Granted its a movie,but it was way too far fetched even for movie standards. The acting at times was lame. Cary Elwes overdoes it at some parts of the film,and Danny Glover kinda sleepwalked through it.

All in all it was a clever film,not as gory as I thought it would be. But a good film to rent .
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Bobby42
Natural Man

Post by Bobby42 »

Viewed it this afternoon.

Agree with your review but I don't have an issue with the side plots. The movie keeps you at the edge of your chair. Often, I'm guilty of predicting the plot thus spoiling things for the rest of the family. No way this time.

Go rent this flick.

Afterwards you'll need to watch "Meet the Fockers" to take the edge off.
"So let it be written; so let it be done."
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Without giving away anything specific, the ending really pissed me off. It seemed like they had this realy cool idea for a serial killer, but they didn't know how to end the story, so they just threw in the characters' names and drew one out of a hat. Bingo! It was ______ all along!

It's a fine line. I don't really like movies that are predictable, but part of the fun in movies like this is trying to figure out who the killer/bad guy is. When it comes completely out of left field, you just feel cheated.
"Keys, woman!"
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

yeah, bad guy part sucked. they thought it was all bad ass, but part of the "bad guy" is being brought a little closer to his world. we didn't know anything about the guy at all.

still, I liked it more than I thought i would.
why is my neighborhood on fire
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Without giving away anything specific, the ending really pissed me off. It seemed like they had this realy cool idea for a serial killer, but they didn't know how to end the story, so they just threw in the characters' names and drew one out of a hat. Bingo! It was ______ all along!

It's a fine line. I don't really like movies that are predictable, but part of the fun in movies like this is trying to figure out who the killer/bad guy is. When it comes completely out of left field, you just feel cheated.
Agreed. It was not a good ending.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Variable
Untitled

Post by Variable »

I don't really like movies that are predictable, but...
So you don't like movies that are predictable and you don't like movies that are predictable? :shock: You must be a blast to take in a movie with.

I thought the ending was good. I like to be surprised and the person who turned out to be the killer was totally plausible when you factor in all of the things we learned about him and his style throughout the movie.

Agreed that Danny Glover was average and basically did the sleepwalk thing. Must've been paid "scale" or something, so he gave them a minimal effort. :D That role was a bit of a stretch for him too, though. He normally plays the same angry, but professional guy in just about every movie and this time was a much deeper character. I just think he was mis-cast. He was fine as a cop, but once he became a mentally-tortured former cop, he really struggled to pull it off.

BTW, the guy who wrote the film was the other character in the room with Cary Elwes. Not bad for his first feature film.
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Post by Justa Heel »

sucked.