Ed Hightower

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Ed Hightower

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Butt fuck him in the mouth.

I am still furious about last night. We're shitty enough of a basketball team without having to play against a ref with a vendetta and theatrical demeanor stealing games from as well. I thought I would be calmed down today from it but I'm not. That bullshit last night was almost as blatant as the Oregon football fiasco in Eugene.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Re: Ed Hightower

Post by Mace »

I didn't see the game you're talking about but Hightower is just a bad official...and has been for quite some time.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Hightower's rep has become pretty awful, especially within Big Ten circles. Now he's just a Photoshop punchline.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Didn't see the game either, but it was probably another case of Big XII home cookin'.

Saturday in Manhattan, Mizzou shot 13 FT's, KSU 34. Mizzou was also called for numerous phantom travels that took points off the board.

Last week at Baylor, the decisive play came down to Mizzou being called for a blocking foul when it was clearly a charge.

It's not just Ed Hightower and it's not just the XII. Refs are quite naturally going to give damn near every call to the home team, especially in a close game.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

War Wagon wrote:Didn't see the game either, but it was probably another case of Big XII home cookin'.

Saturday in Manhattan, Mizzou shot 13 FT's, KSU 34. Mizzou was also called for numerous phantom travels that took points off the board.

Last week at Baylor, the decisive play came down to Mizzou being called for a blocking foul when it was clearly a charge.

It's not just Ed Hightower and it's not just the XII. Refs are quite naturally going to give damn near every call to the home team, especially in a close game.

It wasn't all that close until Eddie took over last night. OU was up 12 on Texas with about 9 to go when the thespian took over. Most absurd shit I have ever seen. The game had been called pretty evenly until then and OU had control. Pittman had one foul called on him the entire game... yes that Pittman.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

SunCoastSooner wrote:
War Wagon wrote:Didn't see the game either, but it was probably another case of Big XII home cookin'.

It wasn't all that close until Eddie took over last night. OU was up 12 on Texas with about 9 to go when the thespian took over. Most absurd shit I have ever seen. The game had been called pretty evenly until then and OU had control. Pittman had one foul called on him the entire game... yes that Pittman.
and OU has never had the benefit of hometown reffing? Wipe your fucking VAG and pull up your big girl panties. WHAAAAAAA. I watched the first Texas/OU game in Norman and there were 3 fouls called on Pittman that were bullshit. The only call I saw Monday that was bullshit was the call on Gary Johnson where he clearly charged and was given a gift. We still won by double digits. Pittman gets banged around and pushed the whole time on the blocks. If you want to call the game correct, every time someone puts a forearm in his back it should be a foul. Does it get called? YOu guys shot well in the first half and not as good in the 2nd. That maybe had a bigger effect on the outcome. Crying about the refs is a pussy move. But then again......
:hfal:
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Harvdog wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:

and OU has never had the benefit of hometown reffing? Wipe your fucking VAG and pull up your big girl panties. WHAAAAAAA. I watched the first Texas/OU game in Norman and there were 3 fouls called on Pittman that were bullshit. The only call I saw Monday that was bullshit was the call on Gary Johnson where he clearly charged and was given a gift. We still won by double digits. Pittman gets banged around and pushed the whole time on the blocks. If you want to call the game correct, every time someone puts a forearm in his back it should be a foul. Does it get called? YOu guys shot well in the first half and not as good in the 2nd. That maybe had a bigger effect on the outcome. Crying about the refs is a pussy move. But then again......
:hfal:

Fuck you Harv... I almost never cry about officiating. You're so full of shit on this issue it's unreal. Oklahoma was firmly in control of the game until Hightower took over, that's obvious to anyone who watched it.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I didn't see the game and I believe you. Hightower has NEVER reffed a game he didn't want to personally take over.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I didn't see the game and I believe you. Hightower has NEVER reffed a game he didn't want to personally take over.
yup. that's just kind of how it is, isn't it. him and Burr from the Big East. Burr is great calling a Big XII game. gonna show us landlubbers how real basketball is played....when he never calls a Big East game the same way because everyone is in the double-bonus at the ten minute mark guarding on the perimeter.

i think SCS has some beef. poorly officiated game in Texas favoring a Texas team is pretty much a hallmark of the Big XII South. i'm not saying OU lost this game because of the officiating (managed to lose plenty others). what i am saying: SWC schools have a tradition of iffy home cooking.....and that's been true from day one of the big XII.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

And when I say that, that's coming from a guy who's very fair about refs in general, so that might say something about Hightower...or at least I'd like to think so.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

eddie hightower seems seems to be universally disliked by everyone.

yet, he seems to be calling big games. who knows?
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Rack the Viernam war photoshop effort. :lol:
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

King Crimson wrote:eddie hightower seems seems to be universally disliked by everyone.

Those big game assignments have to be based on seniority rather than merit....or he's givin' blowjobs to all of the right people. Officiating assignments are highly political in the college ranks.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Individual schools hire refs, right?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

King Crimson wrote:eddie hightower seems seems to be universally disliked by everyone.

Yeah, but if refs were widdled down based on who Joe The Fan likes, there would be nobody available. Hightower has been around the block. That combined with the possible minority factor = he ain't goin anywhere. I think he was a decent ref at one point. Now he's old, works 47 games a week, and has much bigger responsibilities (full-time superintendent of a school district in Illinois). That's too much for an old dude to handle.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Everyone outside Lawrence, KS, thinks Hightower is the biggest Jayhawk knobslobber who has ever lived. Meanwhile, even the most fair-weather, <RoyWilliams>wine-and-cheese</RoyWilliams>, smug, arrogant, oh-is-KU-playing-today?-ROCK-CHALK! bandwagon Hawk fan will get red in the face and have smoke coming out of the ears like a Union Pacific railcar at the mere mention of Hightower, even though they'd have a hard time remembering who Nick Collison's teammates were.

I'm pretty sure Steve Welmer reffed every KU game I have ever seen in my life. Tall dude, balding. You'd know him if you saw him. Big XII game one night, Big 10 the next, back to Big XII, and on and on.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:

Yeah, but if refs were widdled down based on who Joe The Fan likes, there would be nobody available. Hightower has been around the block. That combined with the possible minority factor = he ain't goin anywhere. I think he was a decent ref at one point. Now he's old, works 47 games a week, and has much bigger responsibilities (full-time superintendent of a school district in Illinois). That's too much for an old dude to handle.
sure. but my point it that everyone dislikes Hightower....bacause he's not consistent and show-boat for the hometeam. not that it's a "mass appeal thing", Joe the fan as you say. i don't think it has anything to do with him being non-caucasian as you would like us to believe.

i just think he sucks and tends to make a "star" of himself that mostly favors the homecourt.
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

steve welmer is a total jayhawk homer. :wink:
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

i don't think it has anything to do with him being non-caucasian as you would like us to believe.
How are you defining "it?" I don't think we're on the same page here.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i don't think it has anything to do with him being non-caucasian as you would like us to believe.

"that combined with the possible minority factor". ring a bell?
"
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Individual schools hire refs, right?
No, they're assigned by the conference or, more accurately, someone hired by the conference to assign officials.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

King Crimson wrote:

"that combined with the possible minority factor". ring a bell?
Right. My question is, are you saying race plays no part in why people don't like him or plays no part in his continued job security? That part of your point was unclear to me.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: Right. My question is, are you saying race plays no part in why people don't like him or plays no part in his continued job security? That part of your point was unclear to me.
could be. i don't have an opinion about it. never really thought about his career and apparent universal unpopularity in those terms. my least fave official is *by far* Jim Burr.
"
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Ed Hightower > Ted Valentine

Sayin
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

You people know the names of college basketball refs?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm as big an NFL fan as I can possibly be and yet I might be able to name 2-3 NFL refs BY NAME. Guys, step outside and breathe the air.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Dude the same refs today are the ones I've been watching since my HS days. So yeah, over that many years and that many games you tend to pick up on the names of the guys you see over and over and over again.

See: Hochuli, Ed; Carey, Mike
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Shine wrote:Dude the same refs today are the ones I've been watching since my HS days. So yeah, over that many years and that many games you tend to pick up on the names of the guys you see over and over and over again.

See: Hochuli, Ed; Carey, Mike
Honestly, I don't know who the fuck Mike Carey is. Hochuli I am familiar with because he's always being referenced on football blogs because he's a steroid freak who can't properly dress himself.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

BSmack wrote:You people know the names of college basketball refs?

I'm as big an NFL fan as I can possibly be and yet I might be able to name 2-3 NFL refs BY NAME. Guys, step outside and breathe the air.
I've been watching Big Ten basketball for years, and you tend to see the same old refs almost every time you watch your team play, like Shine said. Unless you have the retention of a drunken autistic, it's pretty much inevitable you're going to familiarize yourself with these guys whether you want to or not.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

King Crimson wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: Right. My question is, are you saying race plays no part in why people don't like him or plays no part in his continued job security? That part of your point was unclear to me.
could be. i don't have an opinion about it. never really thought about his career and apparent universal unpopularity in those terms. my least fave official is *by far* Jim Burr.
I don't think his unpopularity has anything to do with race or anything like that. Not where I was going at all with that. I was talking in terms of job security...and even then, that's just a possible and suspected factor - not any sort of exclusive reason - and one in which I can't prove. I just think it would be a little naive to rule out that possibility given the importance of diversity in jobs in sports these days.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

I've been watching Big Ten basketball for years, and you tend to see the same old refs almost every time you watch your team play, like Shine said. Unless you have the retention of a drunken autistic, it's pretty much inevitable you're going to familiarize yourself with these guys whether you want to or not.
Wrong.

It's not just that you losers know who these guys are, you also know enough about them to rank them. Pull up, take a breath and step outside.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Dude with 20K posts on a message board wrote:take a breath and step outside
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

BSmack wrote:Wrong.

It's not just that you losers know who these guys are, you also know enough about them to rank them. Pull up, take a breath and step outside.
What the hell are you talking about? It's not like this is the first time in history a ref has been mentioned by name on an interwebs bbs. Take your sanctimonious bullshit and go fuck yourself.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dude with 20K posts on a message board wrote:take a breath and step outside
Hey, if Dinsdale can do it, so can I.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

BSmack wrote: Honestly, I don't know who the fuck Mike Carey is.
Mike Carey is to the NFL what Ed Hightower is to CBB, seriously. He's been pissing me off for at least 10 years.

Unreal you don't know who he is.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

BSmack wrote:Wrong.

Good officials don't get noticed, only the bad ones. Good officials work the game and you rarely even know they were there, let alone their names. Hightower used to be a decent official but now he's old, fat, slow, and the speed of the game has passed him by. He is noticed now because of his theatrics on the court and his bad calls. He should retire.

I couldn't name more than two or three college basketball officials...mainly because I don't really care that much these days...but there used to be an official in the 80's who had a boner for Iowa and Lute Olson and took every opportunity to give Iowa/Olson a good fuckin'. Jim Bain once called a phantom traveling call against Kevin Boyle that cost Iowa a big game against Purdue and was ultimately pulled off of any Iowa games he was scheduled to officiate....primarily to avoid some crazy Iowa fan bringing a gun to the game and killing the bastard. Personally, I would have preferred he continue working the Iowa games so we could have seen a live assassination on TV. I'm pretty sure that Olson would have dragged Bain's body off the court and insisted that they continue play.
Arch Angel
Elwood

Post by Arch Angel »

I'm pretty sure that Olson would have dragged Bain's body off the court and insisted that they continue play.
I see nothing wrong with that. The show must go on.

Sincerely,
Vince McMahon

Hightower is a constant sore to the Illini nation. They erect threads in his name to curse him and make fun of him. But they hate Wellmer, Burr and Valentine even more.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Jim Bain was one of Norm Stewart's fishing buddies. getting a call down the stretch on the road at Hearnes in the 80's? never.
"
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Dude. You've been around the block. Are you seriously not familiar with names like Johhny Grier, Dick Hantack (best ref ever. 1ST DOWN!!!) , Jerry Seeman, and Bob McElwee? Maybe I'm just observant... but I "grew up" with them guys. I can name a shitload of today's refs too.

Oh: From yesteryear: Jerry Markbreit too.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I did a story on Markbreit when I was working in Elkhart. Great stories from his time officiating. Said he was the only Jewish man to regularly attend Catholic Mass.

I'll have to dig up the article I did on him.

Here's the full quote:

"I'm probably the only Jewish man who knows the Catholic mass by heart, both in English and Latin," Markbreit said about being on an NFL officiating crew with Catholic men who insisted on attending mass before every game worked.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

You've got to know at least one.