Toyota recall

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Toyota recall

Post by War Wagon »

shit, I can't believe this topic hasn't surfaced by now, but better late than never I always say.

Well, so much for their reputation for quality. You can hear the laughter coming from the GM, Ford and Chrysler board rooms as we speak.

There'a a whole lot more to be said about this but for now all I want to know is how many of you shitdicks own a recalled Toyota?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Re: Toyota recall

Post by Van »

[tinfoil hat]All these Toyota recalls are the result of the American auto industry attempting to increase their own viability in the market place by taking down their main competition.[/tinfoil hat]

I heard that notion posited on a talk-show the other day. Some auto-industry 'expert' was saying he has reason to believe that most of these recalls are based on total b.s. the U.S. auto industry fabricated in an effort to sabotage Japan, Inc.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Nice job, Toyota. GM and Chrysler are in shambles and you go ahead and fuck yourself good. Looks like all that money saved on southern non-union labor has spit out piles of shit. I guess you get what you pay for. Rack the Big 3.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Van wrote:[tinfoil hat]All these Toyota recalls are the result of the American auto industry attempting to increase their own viability in the market place by taking down their main competition.[/tinfoil hat]

I heard that notion posited on a talk-show the other day. Some auto-industry 'expert' was saying that he believes most of these recalls are based on total b.s. the U.S. auto industry fabricated in an effort to sabotage Japan, Inc.
the fact that GM and mopar are owned by the fed gubmint now, certainly raises the chance of this being true. i don't think it is the case, but, it sure as hell does raise the question.

as for who's laughing, I'd say it is chiefly ford and to a lesser extent gm. i really don't think much of anybody at chrysler has much to be happy about these days.

i do believe that even if the feds aren't behind blowing this think up 1000%, it is infact, being blown up. fortunately for toyota, they have a pretty god damn stellar reputation to help them weather this. i'll bet there's more than a few grins over at honda as well. they are the ones that the majority of toyota not so faithful will turn to.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Yep. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Honda suddenly get hit with a rash of recalls either.

Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

I have a GM that has 2 recall notices and a Ford that has had 1 recall notice. The GM should have had 3 because the transmission has a shit gear that they know is bad but they won't accept any responsibility. They have nothing to laugh about that I can tell.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Looks like all that money saved on southern non-union labor has spit out piles of shit.
I was wondering if the floormat design came from Japan or the US engineers.

Where did you find this info?

Ohhhh... you were talking out of your ass.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Yeah - the decline in quality with domestics has not been imaginary.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

PSUFAN wrote:Yeah - the decline in quality with domestics has not been imaginary.
Maybe you need to reread Stupid_From_Michigan's assertions again, or did you mean to drop a nonsequitur?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

His take is pretty self-explanatory. Why do you hate reading comprehension?
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Why do you hate reading comprehension?
Reread... then slink away in shame for dropping the "reading comprehension" bit...

assuming PSU was responding to me, which rudimentary reading comprehension would lead one to believe.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

smackaholic wrote: i do believe that even if the feds aren't behind blowing this think up 1000%, it is infact, being blown up.
26 people allegedly killed and hundreds of accidents due to a faulty gas pedal says it needed to be blown up about 5-8 years. The first complaints about this defect started in 2002. But Toyota tried blowing them off and kept pumping out vehicles in a furious effort to surpass GM as the worlds largest auto maker. Mission accomplished, so what if some people got hurt, we're #1 baby.

And what's really funny is that Toyota tried blaming the defect on an American supplier, CTS of Elkhart, Indiana... until that companys CEO pointed out that they didn't even start making those parts until 2005, and they were made to spec. And even if CTS or any vendor were to blame, that doesn't excuse Toyota for installing faulty parts.

It's quite clear that Toyota was negligent. Class action lawsuits, anyone? Aside from the costs of the recall itself and lost sales, this is going to hurt them badly.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Rack the Big 3.
Yes rack them.

Moving jobs overseas, running their companies into the ground, and forcing the American taxpayer to bail them out.

Rewarding failure. Helluva concept.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mr T wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:Rack the Big 3.
Yes rack them.

Moving jobs overseas, running their companies into the ground, and forcing the American taxpayer to bail them out.

Rewarding failure. Helluva concept.
The bailout of GM and Chrysler was a drop in the bucket compared to the bailout of firms like AIG and Citigroup.

Let me guess, Mr T... you drive a Camry.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

War Wagon wrote:The bailout of GM and Chrysler was a drop in the bucket compared to the bailout of firms like AIG and Citigroup.
All four of those were rewarded for failure on our dime.
Let me guess, Mr T... you drive a Camry.
No 'yota for me. Maybe our government will bail those guys out as well... :meds:

If you go under wags, will the Big 3 come to help you out? Why this love affair for companies that dont give a shit about you or this country? Daddy issues? I knew a bunch of girls in college like you.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

War Wagon wrote:American supplier, CTS of Elkhart, Indiana.
Wow. I didn't realize there were still jobs in Elkhart.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

PSUFAN wrote:Yeah - the decline in quality with domestics has not been imaginary.
And neither has the recent improvement.

Consumer groups now rate cars like the Chevy Malibu and Ford Fusion as being every bit as good, if not better, than their foreign rivals, while costing much less.

And while I've never owned a Ford of any kind, I'll have to say that what they're doing right now is quite remarkable. I test drove a Fusion a while back. One of the nicest cars I've ever driven. They wanted too much for it or that would've been parked in my driveway right now instead of the Grand Prix I wound up buying.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

War Wagon wrote:Grand Prix I wound up buying.
Have the motors on the window openers gone out yet? Every Grand Prix (or Am) has been notorious for shit like that. My Dad just bought a Grand Am, and there is a noise coming out of the steering column that sounds like the turn signal is on ALL THE TIME. He's taken it in to dealer and was told "they don't know how to fix it." :meds:

Nice looking rides, but I've always been skeptical of them. Meanwhile, the Taurus I had before I moved to DC had 280k miles on it.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mr T wrote:Why this love affair for companies that dont give a shit about you or this country?
What makes you think they don't give a shit about this country?

No love affair, but both GM and Ford have huge plants and workforces in KC and I want those good jobs to stay here. I want those employees to buy houses, thus helping me keep what I consider a good job.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Have the motors on the window openers gone out yet? Every Grand Prix (or Am) has been notorious for shit like that.
No, they work fine. It's a 2007 model and haven't had any problems with it yet whatsoever. And my wife has a 2004 Grand AM, the windows work fine on that too. The only problem we've had with that car is the climate control switch doesn't move the air flow around like it should from the floor to the defroster so it's always blowing from both. No biggie, my wife loves that car and it's got 140,000 miles on it now.

Now my daughters 2004 Cavalier has had some minor issues. The drivers side window quit working as well as the gas gauge is stuck on full. Annoying as hell, but it's not a safety issue.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

War Wagon wrote:gas gauge is stuck on full
Kinda like Dinsdale being stuck on stupid? That would irritate the fucking shit out of me.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

War Wagon wrote:
Consumer groups now rate cars like the Chevy Malibu and Ford Fusion as being every bit as good, if not better, than their foreign rivals, while costing much less.
costing much less?

bull.
fukking .
shit.

a year and a half ago, i was in the market for a new midsize car. I really liked the fusion and the malibu. especially the malibu. but, they were priced well above the sonata and a bit above the camry. i will agree that they are both more entertaining to drive than the camry or the sonata. the accord? sorry, but the accord is still a step ahead of the rest in all around competency. and it is priced pretty close to the malibu, maybe a bit above the fusion.

this, of course was a year and a half ago and much shit has hit the fan since, so the price differences may have changed.

in this group of cars I think the accord is still a small step ahead of the nissan altima, fusion and malibu. the camry and sonata are right behind them. i went with the sonata for a few reasons. outstanding record as of late, easily the most bang for the buck. it has a ridiculously long standard equipment list and a 100K drivetrain warranty. if i was in the market today, i would probably look real hard at the fusion with 6 speed stick as my main gripe with the sonata is a clunky shifter and tempermental clutch.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
War Wagon wrote:gas gauge is stuck on full
Kinda like Dinsdale being stuck on full of shit? That would irritate the fucking shit out of me.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Dinsdale wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:Why do you hate reading comprehension?
Reread... then slink away in shame for dropping the "reading comprehension" bit...

assuming PSU was responding to me, which rudimentary reading comprehension would lead one to believe.
To be truthful, I was responding directly to Jack.

Wags: yes, domestics have recently been improving - a very good thing.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Was in the market for a new car, my 2000 Nissan Maxima with 140K and needing new rubber, headlights, and the AC repaired. I was looking at the Toyota Camry until this problem blew up. Now a new 2010 Hyundai Sonata sits in my garage.
56% Korean parts, 42% US/Canadian parts--- engine USA, final assembly point Montgomery Alabama according to the sticker.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

War Wagon wrote:26 people allegedly killed
That does even qualify as a blip, statistically speaking. How many millions of cars and how many tens of millions of miles driven did it take to arrive at that number?
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

rack mvscal.

there are millions of toyotas on the road and they point to 26 alleged examples? what bullshit.

wolfie, how do you like the new sonata? what drivetrain did you get? and if ya don't mind my asking, what'd it run you?
Doug near DC
Elwood

Post by Doug near DC »

I wish Kyle Busch's Toyota woiuld get recalled.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

mvscal wrote:
War Wagon wrote:26 people allegedly killed
That does even qualify as a blip, statistically speaking. How many millions of cars and how many tens of millions of miles driven did it take to arrive at that number?
So therefore the recall was unwarranted? Is that your point?

I suppose if you weren't one of the 26. Or one of the hundreds who may have had close calls. Or the thousands who may yet to have an incident, but might still if the problem isn't fixed.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

War Wagon wrote: So therefore the recall was unwarranted? Is that your point?

I suppose if you weren't one of the 26. Or one of the hundreds who may have had close calls. Or the thousands who may yet to have an incident, but might still if the problem isn't fixed.
His point was, that, statistically speaking, 26 don't mean shit.

Many thousands of folks got dead last year driving cars. Undoubtedly thousands were in toyotas, as were thousands in chevies and fords.

Without more info there is no telling whether the recalls are warranted. I suspect they are and toyota, who I assume values there reputation, will bend over backwards to unfuck things. This does not mean they will recall bazillions of cars every time somebody points a finger, as well they shouldn't.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

They had to be forced into recalling the potentially deadly, defective cars. A recall that should have started years ago and production stopped. But Toyota, in their greed, arrogance, and outright zeal to be #1, refused to acknowledge there was a problem.

And while traffic deaths and accidents occur every day due to numerous reasons, most of them driver stupidity... that does not excuse a company from knowingly sending potential death traps off their production lines.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

26 people who forgot where the brake/gearshift was located?

Two words:

Dar.

Win.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dinsdale wrote:26 people who forgot where the brake/gearshift was located?
While that's a good point, it really doesn't change the facts.

Some folks probably just panic and have no clue what to do. And when they run into somebody else not in search of Darwin, well that's not quite fair.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

War Wagon wrote:They had to be forced into recalling the potentially deadly, defective cars. A recall that should have started years ago and production stopped. But Toyota, in their greed, arrogance, and outright zeal to be #1, refused to acknowledge there was a problem.

And while traffic deaths and accidents occur every day due to numerous reasons, most of them driver stupidity... that does not excuse a company from knowingly sending potential death traps off their production lines.
wags, do you really, for even a moment, believe toyota execs, sitting in some smoke filled room somewhere, said 'yeah, these things are death traps, many will die in them and the cause will undoubtedly be uncovered eventually making us look reaaaallllllllyyyy fukking bad, but, right now, it's more impotent to edge out GM this year'?

I mean really? would the folks running the biggest fukking car company on the planet be THAT fukking stupid?

No, they wouldn't.

The japs in general and toyota in particular have gotten to where they are by building good shit and having a very sound long term plan. As a result they got to be the most succesful car builder evah.

Any one thinking they'd jeopardize all that for a bump in sales to overtake gm, something which was inevitable anyway, really needs to cut back on his fermented rice consumption.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

War Wagon wrote:They had to be forced into recalling the potentially deadly, defective cars. A recall that should have started years ago and production stopped. But Toyota, in their greed, arrogance, and outright zeal to be #1, refused to acknowledge there was a problem.

:lol:
Last edited by Van on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

War Wagon wrote:Some folks probably just panic and have no clue what to do.
Yeah, no example of Darwin at work there.
Doug near DC
Elwood

Post by Doug near DC »

I had a return spring break on a Mack Super Liner Dump truck while I was in light to ligh traffic. Fuel pedal laying on the floor, motor wide open. I got my foot under the pedal and limped it back to the yard working the pedal from the botton side. I drove the same truck about 40 miles loaded with a snapped clutch cable.

I say don't recall 'em. We need a thinning of the herd anyway.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

~As Wags tosses and turns in bed, unable to sleep over worries that some poor sap driving a deathtrap built by those evil ne'er-do-wells from the Land Of The Rising Son will accelerate out of control and crash right into his daughter's Pontiac, Japan, Inc, meets to plan their new product lines~

Hai! We build more deathtraps! Get back at round-eye bastards! Better late than never! First we hit them with tiny cellphones, so they can not pay attention while driving and talking to their dad! Then we hit them with tiny texting devices, so they can not pay attention while driving and texting their girlfriends!

So far, so good! Lots of dead, stupid people! We kill so many that way, they never even notice our ingenious sticking-floormats scheme!

Koji-san, what have you got for us?

~Koji-san pulls back the curtain to unveil his latest diabolical creation...~

~stunned silence, then the room explodes in laughter~

Muaaahahaaaa! Uhhh...BWAAAHAAA! Those darkies will eat that shit up too! What do you say, boys? Is it a go?

~a quick huddle...feverish voices....passionate gestures...a consensus is reached....~

Banzai!!

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

:lol:

I can just imagine Sam doing a PET while riding that.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

KC Scott wrote:[

What's funny is everyone seems to have forgotten about the Explorer rollover from the early 00's
My work truck broke down years ago in Coos Bay, so I went and rented a Mitsubishi Montero to get home for the weekend. Headed on down the road and within 25 miles that rig had scared the shit out of me, just under normal driving conditions, I have never encountered upper body roll conditions like that.

Turned around and took that POS back to the rental agency, since it was at the airport, just paid another $ 50 and caught a commuter flight back to Portland.
Last edited by Derron on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?