Arrow Trucking's Christmas Bonus to its employees

A forum for Shine to shine.

Moderators: Shine, indyfrisco

fix
Eternal Scobode

Arrow Trucking's Christmas Bonus to its employees

Post by fix »

You're out of a job and left stranded all across the country.

But I'll bet the CEO's eating a big turkey dinner today and not going without...
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Arrow Trucking's Christmas Bonus to its employees

Post by War Wagon »

You posted this in this forum, why exactly?

Otis, what are you looking for here?

I'm sympathetic to the drivers. That's not a fun job. Not that any job is fun, but truckers have one tough row to hoe.

The good ones will land on their feet with other companies who aren't so fucked.

Fedex
UPS
Conway
R & L Transfer

To name a few.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

War Wagon wrote:You posted this in this forum, why exactly?

I'm sympathetic to the drivers. That's not a fun job. Not that any job is fun, but truckers have one tough row to hoe.

The good ones will land on their feet with other companies who aren't so fucked.

Fedex
UPS
Conway
R & L Transfer

To name a few.
No they probably won't right now with the way their industry is going right now.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Freight must move, all day, every day.

Pretty secure job.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

War Wagon wrote:Freight must move, all day, every day.

Pretty secure job.

Too bad freight is down over 20% from what it was 2 years ago...
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Fedex
UPS
Conway
R & L Transfer

To name a few.
I posted it in here mostly in support of the thread you started in here and how tough times continue to be for everyone from fork lift drivers to truck drivers whose jobs depend on manufactured goods being moved.
With an additional intent to bring notice to the good done by many good samaritans rallying to help those who were left stranded.

As for good companies WW, would you consider Yellow, Roadway one of those?

I hope not because YRC's demise is literally days away.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

SunCoastSooner wrote:

Fedex
UPS
Conway
R & L Transfer

To name a few.
No they probably won't right now with the way their industry is going right now.
Sadly I believe you're right SCS.

This is only the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.joc.com/node/415132
Doug near DC
Elwood

Post by Doug near DC »

I drove trucks in the DC area from '88 to '01

Trucking is a cut throat business I liked driving trucks on the open road, but the pay isn't that good. And sitting in traffic all the time is teh suck.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Otis wrote: As for good companies WW, would you consider Yellow, Roadway one of those?

YRC has been struggling for years, that's why they merged in the first place I suppose.

My company used to use them quite a bit, along with SAIA, but anymore we avoid them - use only as a last resort. Too undependable.

In the past year, we've been using a broker, CH Robinson, to schedule all of our LTL's and full truckloads. They primarily use the carriers I listed above, along with Dayton Freight Lines. Once a month or so, we'll get a YRC or SAIA truck, and invariably they're late.

Before, we'd be calling all these different truck lines trying to get the best rate. Pain in the ass and took way too much time. Having a broker to do the leg work is the only way to go.

I probably get 10 calls a week from freight carriers wanting to do business. As soon as I tell them we use a broker now, the call ends quickly.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

War Wagon wrote:
Otis wrote: As for good companies WW, would you consider Yellow, Roadway one of those?

YRC has been struggling for years, that's why they merged in the first place I suppose.

My company used to use them quite a bit, along with SAIA, but anymore we avoid them - use only as a last resort. Too undependable.

In the past year, we've been using a broker, CH Robinson, to schedule all of our LTL's and full truckloads. They primarily use the carriers I listed above, along with Dayton Freight Lines. Once a month or so, we'll get a YRC or SAIA truck, and invariably they're late.

Before, we'd be calling all these different truck lines trying to get the best rate. Pain in the ass and took way too much time. Having a broker to do the leg work is the only way to go.

I probably get 10 calls a week from freight carriers wanting to do business. As soon as I tell them we use a broker now, the call ends quickly.
We should talk.. I'll PM you a couple of links

CH Robinson... are pretty much considered the bottom feeders in the industry.

I won't and don't dispute your decision to use a load pimp to handle your freight needs because you're absolutely right about it simplifying the leg work on your end.

But on behalf of myself and fellow carriers everywhere... Anyone but Cheap Haul Robinson...
They are a major part of the problem this industry finds itself in today.

Edited to add: Yellow bought out Roadway who were struggling at the time as part of their intent of dominating the LTL sector.
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Otis wrote:CH Robinson... are pretty much considered the bottom feeders in the industry.

Lol, whatever. I know the running joke is " Cheap and Heavy" but I've been using them for over 4 years now for all my truckloads and my contact in Chicago is pretty much the best ever regarding disputes and they arrive on time for pickup, deliver on time and have saved me over $300,000.00 a year in freight. Yes they're cheap, but all I ask for is dependability and this is what they give me. I know most in the trucking industry hate them for the way the beat carriers down for freight, but I LOVE 'em.

I roughly do around 2 million in freight a year, typically 7-10 truckloads a day along with LTL's. We use a company called AFS Logistics for our LTL's and truckloads now. I just hit up their website, put in the zip code freight will be going to and the weight and it gives me my options of carriers/dollar amount/time of delivery. Typically Saia and Vitran (formerly Chris Trucking) give me the cheapest mode of transport and shortest route time. Out of Conway/YRC/Fed Ex, I'll choose Fed Ex everyday. YRC is crap.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

CH Robingson amongst others too.

As I mentioned to WW in a PM, I won't dispute CH's reliability factor nor their performance factor.
Only their rates and the way drive the market down below a reasonable profit margin.

Which in turn leads to even more bankruptcies, higher unemployment, less money spent on proper maintenance of equipment etc...
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

PrimeX wrote:I'll choose Fed Ex everyday.
Fedex is the Walmart of shipping.

Damn good at what they do.