Big Ten Expansion Yet Again

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

BlindRef
Fuck State

Big Ten Expansion Yet Again

Post by BlindRef »

I am all for it. Now that Michigan football is a shadow of a progam it once was...lets just blow the whole fucking thing up and do this thing right.

Barry Alvaraz thinks it will happen soon:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4735336

Break down of likely teams from my point of view:

Notre Dame
I would love it...I think it makes sense but my guess is it will never happen.

Syracuse
Decent at football, good at basketball good academics, great media market, gives Penn State an actual rival. I like it.

Pittsburgh
same as Syracuse

Cincinatti
I would love to have another major progam give Ohio a hard time. My guess it that that they are too small and I don't know if they qualify academically.

Missouri
I've heard them mentioned before. I don't know why they'd leave the Big 12

Rutgers
Decent at most things. Good academics, interesting market. Doesn't seem like a Big Ten team to me.

Iowa State
Natural rival...makes sense geographically. I don't know about their academics though. Leaving the Big 12 might be good for them.

As for the divisions:

Great Lakes Division
Michigan
Ohio State
Michigan State
Northwestern
Illiois
Minnesota

Midwest Division
Penn State
New Team
Wisky
Indiana
Purdue
Iowa
Those who stay will be champions.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Re: Big Ten Expansion Yet Again

Post by King Crimson »

Jsc810 wrote:Hopefully it will be Iowa State. Then there would be an open spot in the Big 12, and TCU could take that.
and maybe i'll nail all of Tiger Wooods hoes without consequences.

TCU brings mostly nothing to already loaded South. the suck in everything else.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
War Stoops
Elwood

Post by War Stoops »

If Iowa State were to go, the Big 12 would likely snatch Colorado State...mostly as a defensive move to keep Colorado in the conference. Another Texas school would not fly with the North. Having said that, I'm all for kicking Baylor to the curb in favor of TCU.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

War Stoops wrote:If Iowa State were to go, the Big 12 would likely snatch Colorado State...mostly as a defensive move to keep Colorado in the conference. Another Texas school would not fly with the North. Having said that, I'm all for kicking Baylor to the curb in favor of TCU.
with all respect: "likely" based on what? the two or three good teams Sonny Lubick had in the late 90s? they won 3 or 4 games last season. i can't see any objective reason why CSU would be in the Big XII. i've lived in Denver/Boulder for 15 years and i see nothing attractive about CSU outside of some weird symmetry or inflated estimations of the Denver media market. OU is on in Denver more than CU. this is a pro sports town, first forever always. CSU=no increased media presence, decent ag school but nothing special, mediocre sports, no increase in conference bowl revenue. makes no sense.

given that they field the minimum # of teams for D-1 classification, overall poor performance in revenue sports, and are strapped for cash, i think down the road CU to the MWC is more likely than CSU to the Big XII. CSU has almost no media/alum presence in Denver and can't even fill their 40,000 seat stadium when they win 8-9 games. most CSU fans are Nebraska fans for football and KU fans for hoops, anyway. CSU would be a _bad_ move for the Big XII. better, strip down to 10 teams than add fluff. move OSU and/or OU to the North, whatever. invent some kind of east-west classification, reform the old Missouri Valley Conference....anything.

Today, Baylor isn't the weak link. CU and ISU are. though ISU being bowl eligible and Brackins staying make ISU a lot more viable than CU this year, at least.

i could see Missouri make the switch, possibly. like CU fans annual off-season "wish wish" to the Pac 10, many MU fans secretly want to be in the Big 10 and be "real" midwesterners than southern bumpkins, in their eyes. maintaining the Border War could be prohibitive, though.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

You SEC BSH’s, P10 sack lickers, and B12 steer fuckers… here’s your teed up ball:
"We're irrelevant for the last three weeks of the football season because we're not playing," Alvarez said Friday.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Jsc810 wrote:Hopefully it will be Iowa State. Then there would be an open spot in the Big 12, and TCU could take that.
King Crimson wrote:
and maybe i'll nail all of Tiger Wooods hoes without consequences.

TCU brings mostly nothing to already loaded South. the suck in everything else.
Never happen now for TCU even if Iowa State were to leave. . OU doesn't have Donnie "The Tradition Killer" Duncan at the helm. Oklahoma State's entire athletic department and board of regents is now firmly under control of T. Boone Pickens and he isn't going to let them get away with allowing another Texas school school to recruit against in football since Oklahoma State is even more reliant than OU when comes to getting players out of Texas. Nebraska hated the idea of this many Texas teams in the conference to begin with and they are going to be completely against allowing another one in the group. Kansas and Mizzou aren't going to have to deal with the Oklahoma schools breathing down their neck and threatening to leave to form their own super conference with a bunch of Texass schools and the traditions they were fighting to keep intact are all but dead now anyway so no chance they back down on another Texas school this time. Kansas State has probably seen the error of its ways by being on OU and OSU's side last time and frankly even if they hadn't the Big 12 already has the veto votes in the previous named institutions.

First the Big 12 would make a play at arkiesaw and after they turned them down they would settle on Utah, Tulsa, BYU, or Colorado State most likely.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

War Stoops wrote:If Iowa State were to go, the Big 12 would likely snatch Colorado State...mostly as a defensive move to keep Colorado in the conference. Another Texas school would not fly with the North. Having said that, I'm all for kicking Baylor to the curb in favor of TCU.
Fock that on TCU over Baylor... Baylor is a much better athletic department overall than TCU. Tunnel vision on football. Baylor is a Track and Field giant, and juust about every sport outside of football they are more than just competitive.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

A blogger printing some quotes from Alvarez and Joe Pa, who've been vocal regarding a 12th team for some time, doesn't mean the Big Ten is looking to move toward expansion. Delaney has been saying too bad for years.

Nothing to see here.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Jsc810 wrote:
King Crimson wrote:TCU brings mostly nothing to already loaded South. the suck in everything else.
If Iowa State leaves, then Oklahoma or Oklahoma State should move to the North Division, and then TCU joins the South Division.

TCU was one game away from beating Texas to go to the College World Series last year, and the basketball team is generally pretty good. Track team is usually one of the best in the country.

The Frogs are a better fit in the Big 12 than they are in the Mountain West.
Dude, you're nuts. TCU brings nothing more to the table and most of the North schools as well as OU and OSU would be against it. The Dallas media market is already in the bag with Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. TCU doesn't compete in a number of the sports that the north schools would be looking for additions too outside of football and media market.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Jsc810 wrote: and the basketball team is generally pretty good.
bullshit. we'd need a working definition of "pretty good".....according to wiki TCU has been to the NCAA 4 times in the last 40-50 years. and once in the last 25 years.

sorry, no dice.
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

and for all this talk about "academics" and MU is a Big 10 fit thereby. According to US News (which is mostly bullshit but people believe it anyway...like most everything else), ISU is ranked higher than Missouri, and MU is tied (gasp!) with Oklahoma and behind Kansas.

ISU 88.

OU/MU 102.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... ngs/page+5
"
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Why would the Big-10 want another team from the state of Iowa? ISU is not very good overall in sports and horrible in the biggest money making sport on top of that. Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, or nobody as far as I'm concerned. I can't think of any other school that makes sense for both the Big-10 and the school to join the league.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Pitt makes the most sense to me. Syracuse makes almost no sense to me. Notre Dame just isn't going to do it.

Geography really does matter quite a lot - think of all the non-revenue sports that B10 schools engage in. Those teams have to travel constantly. It's a lot easier and cheaper to add Pitt than it is a more distant school.

Plus, yes...I wouldn't mind seeing Pitt play a Big 10 slate every year, particularly the years PSU came to PGH...Heinz Field would get pwned by the visitors in most games, and I'd laugh like a crazy person...
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Iowa State would bring nothing to the table from the Big Ten's perspective. Iowa already is the least populous state within the Big Ten's footprint, why would that conference need to add another team within that state? Ironically, the Big Ten team that probably would benefit most from their addition is Iowa, in that adding Iowa State would free up an OOC game for them annually.

ND won't go. And I can't see one of the Big East teams going. Under the new Big East rules, a school has to give five years notice or pay a $5 million exit fee to leave the conference. That's cost-prohibitive for any of those schools, and I don't think the Big Ten is willing -- or able -- to defray any of those costs.

Sorry to burst the bubble of the Big Ten fans, but I think your conference is stuck on 11 for the foreseeable future unless you're willing to add a MAC team (and even that wouldn't be much of a solution -- Miami of Ohio is probably the only MAC school that would meet Big Ten academic criteria, and they'd be an athletic bottom-feeder in the Big Ten for the foreseeable future). You had your window of opportunity to expand in '03, but missed it.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
War Stoops
Elwood

Post by War Stoops »

King Crimson wrote:with all respect: "likely" based on what? the two or three good teams Sonny Lubick had in the late 90s? they won 3 or 4 games last season. i can't see any objective reason why CSU would be in the Big XII. i've lived in Denver/Boulder for 15 years and i see nothing attractive about CSU outside of some weird symmetry or inflated estimations of the Denver media market. OU is on in Denver more than CU. this is a pro sports town, first forever always. CSU=no increased media presence, decent ag school but nothing special, mediocre sports, no increase in conference bowl revenue. makes no sense.

given that they field the minimum # of teams for D-1 classification, overall poor performance in revenue sports, and are strapped for cash, i think down the road CU to the MWC is more likely than CSU to the Big XII. CSU has almost no media/alum presence in Denver and can't even fill their 40,000 seat stadium when they win 8-9 games. most CSU fans are Nebraska fans for football and KU fans for hoops, anyway. CSU would be a _bad_ move for the Big XII. better, strip down to 10 teams than add fluff. move OSU and/or OU to the North, whatever. invent some kind of east-west classification, reform the old Missouri Valley Conference....anything.

Today, Baylor isn't the weak link. CU and ISU are. though ISU being bowl eligible and Brackins staying make ISU a lot more viable than CU this year, at least.

i could see Missouri make the switch, possibly. like CU fans annual off-season "wish wish" to the Pac 10, many MU fans secretly want to be in the Big 10 and be "real" midwesterners than southern bumpkins, in their eyes. maintaining the Border War could be prohibitive, though.
You certainly know the situation in Denver better than me but I think CU is a sleeping giant and, if you look at the media markets in the Big 12 North, Denver and Kansas City are it. If the conference lost Denver I think the it would take a hit as far as clout with the networks. I know it sounds a little flaky, and I fully see your point, but I think adding CSU would make CU feel like more of a fit with the conference and maybe keep them from annually flirting with the Pac 10. Plus, we're talking about replacing Iowa State...not exactly a monumental task in terms of football.

Aside from this, Nebraska, KU, and MU will absolutely not allow another Texas team into the conference. So, short of downsizing to 10, which won't happen, what are the other options?

Arkansas...no way they leave the SEC
BYU or Utah...logistically challenging and they probably wouldn't risk leaving the comfort of the rising MWC
Air Force...not a fit at all
New Mexico Schools...similar problems as CSU

I work in the railroad business and our company just helped fund a massive study of projected population growth for the next 25 to 50 years. Denver-Boulder-Colorado Springs is one of about a dozen "mega-tropolis" that is expected to explode in growth (along with Dallas-Oklahoma City and Austin-San Antonio-Houston). CSU could benefit from this growth and from the extra money and exposure gained in the Big 12. I think they're the best fit if the conference loses ISU.

All of this over something that probably won't happen. :D
SunCoast wrote:Fock that on TCU over Baylor... Baylor is a much better athletic department overall than TCU. Tunnel vision on football. Baylor is a Track and Field giant, and juust about every sport outside of football they are more than just competitive.
Busted...all I care about is football (with a small side order of basketball and baseball).
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

King Crimson wrote: i could see Missouri make the switch, possibly. like CU fans annual off-season "wish wish" to the Pac 10, many MU fans secretly want to be in the Big 10 and be "real" midwesterners than southern bumpkins, in their eyes. maintaining the Border War could be prohibitive, though.
…which is why it will never happen. Here's guessing that such secrets where tipped to you by fellow academicians, or at the very least, emanated from the East-side of the state where the 11 may just have a bit more allure, because I can assure you that any serious talk of defection from the XII would torch off a state-wide fire-fight from Harrisonville to Hannibal.

Everything west of Columbia is Big 8 Country. A short drive through my neighborhood on a sunny football Saturday will easily find the banners of at least six XII schools waving proudly in the breeze, and scores of bars and taverns within the area host watch parties for fans and alums of almost every conference school – even Texas.

Mizzou, Kansas, K-State, OU, Nebraska, and Iowa State fans pretty much live in harmony in these parts despite the enmity of head-to-head competition on the court or on the field that can lead to spirited differences of opinion at the workplace or supermarket. And for the three glorious days in March when, on the odd-year, Dallas hasn't ripped the Tournament from its rightful home, the atmosphere and energy that XII fans bring to this city make KC college basketball heaven on earth.

Being a "real" Midwesterner has to be an East-side sentiment, or jocked by itinerants who didn't grow up here. More Civil War battles were fought in this state than anywhere else, save Virginia, which is one of many reasons why passions for the Border War on both sides still run hot to this day. Heck, even the nickname "Tigers" was bestowed by a Columbia newspaper on a Civil War militia group tasked with defending the city of Columbia from bands of marauding Jayhawkers.

Point being, I guess, is don't be so quick to assume that a Mizzou move to the 11 is a foregone conclusion. We've heard rumblings of such a possibility for years, and the Insight's spurning of the Tigers in favor of the Cyclones guarantee of 40,000 tickets sold has A.D. Mike Alden hinting that Missouri may be looking to "review other possibilities". But it ain't gonna happen without a Civil War-sized fight within the state. And personally, I would hate the thought of watching the Tigers trying to compete in an archaic, three-yards-and –a-cloud-of-punts conference whose current offenses have set back college football for 100 years.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Agree, Terry. Iowa would be long gone from the Big-10 if Hayden hadn't rebuilt that program. There's no way they'd let a school from the state of Iowa hang around with a lousy football program. It wouldn't make sense. This is why they won't ever even consider ISU. Notre Dame makes the most sense if they would agree to joining the league. Pitt probably makes the best sense if ND says no. I disagree with PSUFAN on Syracuse. Good academic school, great hoops program, state of New York market, and have the ability to win in football.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

My money is on Pitt or Mizzou...

If Mizzou leaves...does the Big Ten become the new Big XII? They need to change that name if they add another team.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Shoalzie wrote:My money is on Pitt or Mizzou...

If Mizzou leaves...does the Big Ten become the new Big XII? They need to change that name if they add another team.
No, The ig 12 adds someone else... Mizzou isn't that huge a loss in the bigger scheme of things. Just as many KU people in the KC market as Mizzou from what I have ever seen and The Big 12 would likely pull in another major market in Salt Lake City with the addition of BYU or Utah.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

TheJON wrote:Agree, Terry. Iowa would be long gone from the Big-10 if Hayden hadn't rebuilt that program. There's no way they'd let a school from the state of Iowa hang around with a lousy football program. It wouldn't make sense. This is why they won't ever even consider ISU. Notre Dame makes the most sense if they would agree to joining the league. Pitt probably makes the best sense if ND says no. I disagree with PSUFAN on Syracuse. Good academic school, great hoops program, state of New York market, and have the ability to win in football.
No, you don't agree with me, at least not beyond Iowa State. I'll run down in short form what I said.

ND: Not gonna happen, barring something completely unforeseen.

Pitt/Syracuse/Cincinnati/Rutgers: None of these schools can afford the $5 million Big East exit fee without some help, so the Big Ten won't get any of them.

Iowa State: Brings nothing to the table, other than a warm body that gives the Big 10 a CCG and freeing up an OOC game annually for Iowa.

Missouri: This is the one that makes me scratch my head and say, "Dunno. Could happen, I suppose." But the Missouri peeps on this board seem to think there's no way. They'd know more about this than I would.

I'll add a few others Blind didn't mention.

Temple/Miami of Ohio: These are the only MAC schools that would qualify academically. Either would be a better academic fit and more geographically desirable than Iowa State. Temple has a decent basketball program, but otherwise, either school would be an athletic bottom-feeder for the foreseeable future. As to Miami of Ohio (and Cincinnati, for that matter) query whether tOSU will allow another in-state school into the conference.

Boston College: 88 mentioned them awhile back, and I have to admit this is an intriguing possibility. Not a great geographic fit, but the Big Ten really isn't any more of a reach for BC than the ACC is in that regard. And this wouldn't be the first time a conference went after ND but ultimately settled for BC instead. The downside for BC is that the Big Ten would be their third conference in less than a decade, and joining the Big Ten only would confirm their reputation as a conference-hopper (the reason they're glossed as Fredo on ND homer boards).

As for divisional alignments, I like Blind's suggestion but don't see it happening. The most likely alignment:

North Division
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Wisconsin
New team/Iowa/Penn State*

South Division
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Purdue

* Between the new team, Iowa and Penn State, one would go to the North Division and the other two would go to the South Division. Of the prospective new teams, either ND, Syracuse or BC would go to the North Division, any other team would go to the South. If it's between Iowa and Penn State to go to the North, Penn State probably would go to the North if the new team was Iowa State, otherwise Iowa would go to the North.

The divisional alignment that would make the most sense, at least from a geographic standpoint:

East Division
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
New team/Purdue*

West Division
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Purdue/new team*

* Purdue would go to the East Division if the new team was either Iowa State or Missouri, otherwise Purdue would go to the West. The logical geographic split for the Big Ten is East/West, and if they added a team to the west, the split would be at the Indiana/Illinois border. The downside to an east/west split is that the East Division would be much stronger in most years if not all years.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Sudden Sam wrote:Wow. Adding Mizzou to the Big Ten will really make it a tougher conference. :meds:

That's like adding another Illinois.
I think it illustrates a schism between the Big 10 fanbase and TPTB in the Big 10.

If this board is a fair indication, it seems to me that most of the Big 10 fanbase wants a CCG. Who they add to get to that point is less important than is getting to that point.

I could be wrong on this, but I think Jim Delany has a different opinion.
minorthreat
Elwood

Post by minorthreat »

As a Cyclone fan, I would love to be in the Big 10. The Big 12 is basically run by the Texas teams, the tv contract is a joke, and the revenue sharing is poor. I can see why most of you don't think it makes much sense but I would be all for it.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I'd rather boot Minnesota and play a round robin schedule (the only way to determine a real conf champion) than add a 12th team and play some stupid cash grab game.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... ory?page=2

Delaney:
I could live with two divisions and a championship game, but I think that has a tendency to devalue the season-ending game and have a negative impact (in terms of at-large BCS selection) on your losing team in season-ending games.
As many have noted, Delaney is against expansion and a CCG because he and his owners feel it will rob The Game (tOSU v. UM) of significance.

It's not a surprise that moneyed interests control CFB...only that they would allow their lapdog to yap so shamelessly about it. When Delaney's removal comes about one day, it will be the best thing to happen to CFB since WWII stopped robbing all of the talent.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Perhaps his second comment is even more disgusting - that they don't want to miss out on a second conference BCS slot because someone would have to lose a CCG. :brad:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Jim Delaney is a massive tool.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Sudden Sam wrote:Wow. Adding Mizzou to the Big Ten will really make it a tougher conference. :meds:

That's like adding another Illinois.
Did you wake up this morning and decide to piss me off? It worked. Fuck you, BTPCF SECBSH who doesn't have a clue that other sports besides football even exist. And other endeavors in college beyond sports, but of course that's meaningless to you, the only reason that colleges exist in the 1st damn place. Fucking 'tard, go fuck yourself and make a PET out of it. Bitch.

Mizzou will never move to the Big Ten, btw. 150 years of a blood fued with Jayhawkers out front should tell anyone with a clue.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Sudden Sam wrote:I believe Northwestern has a pretty good school of journalism, doesn't it?
So does Mizzou... but I don't have to prove anything to you.

You're sitting back calling Mizzou a nowhere, nothing school, all the while licking the taint of Alabama. That's hilarious, in a pot calling the kettle black kinda' way.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

If the Big Ten does go to divisions, Ohio State & Michigan will for sure be in the same division. No way the conference risks having a rematch championship game the week after The Game. Good chance for Penn State to be lumped in as well.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Believe the Heupel wrote: Mizzou make it past the Elite 8 yet?
Not quite, but what does that have to do with what's being discussed here?

Damn, I never realized what disdain is held for dear old Mizzou... not that I really care what some Sooner fuck by way of Alaska and Alabama thinks about my state school.

Seriously, other than skull, are there even one of you bitches who claim Oklahoma as home? Moby, maybe?

So proud, but then you get the fuck outta' there ASAP.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Believe the Heupel wrote: ...school pride doesn't equate to state pride.
Sure it does, at least in these parts. Not that I'd expect a vagabond like you to understand that.
I'll remember in the future to connect each link in the syllogism so Missouri fans can understand.
You do just that, I'll try to keep up, FrozenTVO.

To think I've afforded you any respect over the years when you're nothing but a wordy punk who, like a divorced cunt, changed his name.
Let me know if I lost you anywhere. I can break it down further if you'd like.
No, not lost, so please don't.

I can recognize a condescending, jobless punk when I see one
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

I am really excited about the idea. The Red River Shoot out is still huge...and so will OSU Michigan...but they have to be in the same division. I think Pitt makes the most sense at this point except for how terrible their football fan base is.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Now Alvarez is saying it will come down to Syracuse and Rutgers...
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Believe the Heupel wrote:The difference between me and you? I'm sure that in a pinch I could probably figure out how to drive a forklift. You couldn't make a coherent argument to prove A was A if someone spotted you the equal sign.

You call it being a vagabond. I say you're a provincial hick. You say tomato, I say you're a dumbfuck.
I didn't say tomato, and I doubt you could drive a forklift without killing someone, most likely yourself, when you drove off the dock.

And you couldn't do Bills of Materials and Routings, establish costs, schedule production, or any other meaningful thing associated with manufacturing, because you are now and will remain "Bozo, the know nothing, worthless wonderdog".

You couldn't even get a job grinding at my workplace, and that's where I started, 26 years and change ago.

Good luck suckering somebody into penciling you a paycheck someday with that edumacation.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Believe the Heupel wrote: I imagine given 26 years to figure it out, I'd either blow my brains out from the monotony or have it down pat.
Not monotonous at all. Everyday is a new challenge, and everyday you have to "make" the team. And that ain't easy, considering the 80% of folks... good people, who have been let go in the past year.
Hey, I'm proud of you. Not everyone gets to go to college, and you've obviously worked hard to maximize your meager talents.
With the condescension again, whatever, you snivelling bitch.

I could've gone to college, I chose not to. The USAF didn't mind, and neither does my employer... the one that cuts me a paycheck every week. For 26 years and counting.

But by all means, keep telling yourself how special you are.

Truth be told, mommy and daddy are still paying your bills, you're in debt for life with student loans that you'll most likely default on, and you think you've got room to run smack my way?

Better think again.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Now Alvarez is saying it will come down to Syracuse and Rutgers...
There is more at stake than just sports, the team that gets the invite has to have a pretty high level of education that neither ISU or UM can hope to obtain. It is all about CIC affiliation and the access to big time grant money. The school that gets the invite must excel in undergraduate/graduate research along with being a great athletic program.

Even Notre Dame doesn't have the graduate programs that meet the requirement. They would still take Notre Dame because of athletic and undergraduate excellence but they would need to beef up their grad research.

Rutgers would be a great fit for the Big 10, it meets all the criteria they are looking for.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

War Wagon wrote:Mizzou will never move to the Big Ten, btw. 150 years of a blood fued with Jayhawkers out front should tell anyone with a clue.
And ND won't move to the Big Ten, either. 100 years of a mostly contentious relationship with the Big Ten (contentious being a huge understatement in this context) and 120 years of cherishing our independence out front should tell anyone with a clue.

That being said, I don't really expect that to quell any rumor-mongering, nor do I expect it to shut up the know-nothings who constantly spout off that "Notre Dame belongs in the Big Ten." Why would you expect Mizzou to be treated differently?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Interesting analysis of Big Ten expansion possibilities from, of all places, a ND blog . . .

http://weisnd.blogspot.com/2009/05/big- ... sible.html
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Interesting analysis of Big Ten expansion possibilities from, of all places, a ND blog . . .

Woohoo! I knew we'd get back to #1!

The beef here is the conference (Big 12) is designed around the SWC teams even though they were the standard bearers for NCAA probation.
The HQ's in Dallas, the Champ. game will be in Jerrra's world permanently in the future, Prop 48 was ditched to inhibit NU's recruiting. It's all Texas all the time and it's not lost on NU's administration or the fans.
Kinda like giving Mack Brown an extra second in order to cash in on a $5 mil. annual contract and a team in the MNC game. How many incomplete passes through-out a game have what appears to be an extra second tick off the clock? The offical is supposed to signal stoppage of the clock and the clock operator thus stops the clock. Why was this one second allowed to be put back on the clock but was never the case with the other 29 incomplete passes in this game?
One word, Texass.
I'm sick of their condescending attitude.
Nebraska to the Big 10 won't happen imo. Too bad.
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

Cornhusker wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:Interesting analysis of Big Ten expansion possibilities from, of all places, a ND blog . . .

Woohoo! I knew we'd get back to #1!

The beef here is the conference (Big 12) is designed around the SWC teams even though they were the standard bearers for NCAA probation.
The HQ's in Dallas, the Champ. game will be in Jerrra's world permanently in the future, Prop 48 was ditched to inhibit NU's recruiting. It's all Texas all the time and it's not lost on NU's administration or the fans.
Kinda like giving Mack Brown an extra second in order to cash in on a $5 mil. annual contract and a team in the MNC game. How many incomplete passes through-out a game have what appears to be an extra second tick off the clock? The offical is supposed to signal stoppage of the clock and the clock operator thus stops the clock. Why was this one second allowed to be put back on the clock but was never the case with the other 29 incomplete passes in this game?
One word, Texass.
I'm sick of their condescending attitude.
Nebraska to the Big 10 won't happen imo. Too bad.

I think its a perfect situation. The Big Ten needs a MAJOR team...not mid-level team. Pitt is nice buts its not sexy. Nebraska really shakes things up. Then it forces the Big 12 to give another team a chance in their conference whether its CSU, Utah, TCU..etc.