D & L'ers: San Diego Trip Advice

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

socal
Prepare to qualify!

D & L'ers: San Diego Trip Advice

Post by socal »

In San Diego for Labor Day sahkuh tournament.

Friday college tour of UCSD and SDS.

Staying in Old Town Friday through Monday.

Friday night team dinner.

Saturday afternoon Marine Core Recruiting Station boathouse barbeque & picnic.

Looking for decent lunch place in La Jolla/University City area for Friday.

Also looking for decent watering holes each night.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Re: D & L'ers: San Diego Trip Advice

Post by ChargerMike »

...I met Joe and Scott (KC) at The Cass st. Bar & Grill in Pacific Beach earlier this year. A good watering hole, very good food, pool and darts. Right off Garnet in the middle of PB.
JIP said...Hell, Michael Sam has more integrity than you do.

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

It all depends on how much time and money you have. I don't really have many specific suggestions, but here are some general ones.

There are lots of nice but fairly upscale places on Prospect Street in La Jolla. Somewhat of a hassle to get in and out of the downtown La Jolla area though, any time of day.

All of the chains have outlets in the University Town Center area, which is pretty close to where you'll be - basically across I5 from UCSD.

A lot of deece Mexican places right there in Old Town. If you want to venture out of Old Town go to Little Italy or the Gaslamp District. The Gaslamp is near Petco Park and tends to be pretty trendy. Little Italy has a whole range of good Italian and other type places.

http://www.littleitalysd.com/Dining.asp

Mona Lisa has been a family favorite for decades as a reasonable pasta/pizza/veal parmegiana type Italian place.

If you want something really good (but not necessarily cheap), try any of these places:

http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/

The only one I've actually been to is the Indigo Grill, which is in Little Italy, and it's excellent. I hear all the others are really good too.

Another area to check out is Harbor Island. We use to go to Rubens there once in a while. A great view of downtown. One of the Cohn restaurants is out there too.

Another favorite is the Fish Market on Harbor Drive.

http://www.thefishmarket.com/Default.aspx
PL
Same for me. Be nice.

Post by PL »

used to be a place called Bullys in Lajolla. sit at the bar. nice prime rib sandos.

maybe some locals could say if its still there...was there forever and is real good spot. havent been in a few years so i cant say fer sure
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

PL wrote:used to be a place called Bullys in Lajolla. sit at the bar. nice prime rib sandos.

maybe some locals could say if its still there...was there forever and is real good spot. havent been in a few years so i cant say fer sure
According to Yahoo the one in La Jolla is closed. But if you're willing to make the (scenic) drive....I have yet to have a better prime rib steak than the one I had years ago at the Bully's in Del Mar.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
PL wrote:used to be a place called Bullys in Lajolla. sit at the bar. nice prime rib sandos.

According to Yahoo the one in La Jolla is closed. But if you're willing to make the (scenic) drive....I have yet to have a better prime rib steak than the one I had years ago at the Bully's in Del Mar.
God and GOD that brings back memories.

30 years ago or so that was our regular hangout (the Del Mar Bullys). Spent about 3 nights a week on average in that place. Good drinks, great prime rib. And back then you could get an awesome burger with fries or baked potato and a salad for $1.85. The "1/2 cut" prime rib was $5.50. It was after leaving Bully's one night in November 1978 that my buddy drove off the road at Torrey Pines beach with me in the passenger seat and almost killed us both.

George Bullington died prolly 25 years ago and left it to his partner. Haven't been in that place in years.
titlover
Eternal Scobode

Post by titlover »

don't remember the name but there is some bar in Gaslamp that has like 100 taps of beer. pretty damn good food too.