Texting while Driving

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Bobby42
Natural Man

Texting while Driving

Post by Bobby42 »

This vid was aired on local news this evening. Don't know if anyone posted this but its worth a view. Those with young drivers need to share this with them. And all of us could benefit as well.

edit- new link, old link removed
Last edited by Bobby42 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So let it be written; so let it be done."
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Texting while Driving

Post by Mikey »

The problem here isn't texting. It's driving on the wrong side of the road. That's bound to cause an accident.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

My daughter texts while driving. When I told her she shouldn't do that, she informed me that she can text w/o even looking at the phone.

:?

What's a dad to do?

And save it, no....I'm not going to cut off her cell phone service. She'd just get another service and pay for it herself with a credit card, which she can't afford while in college. Besides, she's got a clean driving record the past few years... knocks on wood.

So, I do what I always do when she walks out the door. I tell her that I love her and to be careful. Extremely careful.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Nice triple trauma system entry, maybe an ME call out.

The third car striking them was the nice coup de grace. Glad they were paying attention to what was happening in front of them.

Car pulled out to turn left from a cross road last week, she was texting and came over the center line during her turn, into my lane. 80,000 pounds of Freightliner and equipment at 40 mph had to stop damn quick. There was a bit of a level shoulder to go to, and I missed her by inches. Cunt never put her phone down and kept going.

That is bad when people that text wreck out and fuck shit up and themselves, but Darwin is working. Sucks for them.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

War Wagon wrote:My daughter texts while driving. When I told her she shouldn't do that, she informed me that she can text w/o even looking at the phone.

What's a dad to do?

And save it, no....I'm not going to cut off her cell phone service. She'd just get another service and pay for it herself with a credit card, which she can't afford while in college. Besides, she's got a clean driving record the past few years... knocks on wood.

So, I do what I always do when she walks out the door. I tell her that I love her and to be careful. Extremely careful.
Her car insurance company could cancel her if she is willingly not going to stop texting while driving. Do either of you realize this?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

How are they going to find that out, trev?

Cancel a good customer with zero claims?

Are you drunk?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Screw_Ball wrote: But that means Mommy and Whitey are back to taxi'ing her around town.
Not likely. She's 3 hours south in Springfield getting ready for her senior season. The days of the Mom & Dad taxi service are long gone.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

War Wagon wrote:How are they going to find that out, trev?

Are you drunk?
They could ask her. Or read this board. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I would not broadcast that proudly.

No, I'm not drunk.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

trev wrote: Seriously, I would not broadcast that proudly.
I don't... like a Dad needed anything more to worry about.

But she's a good kid. The best, actually. I think she worries more about me than I do about her.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

trev wrote:

Are you drunk?

No, I'm not drunk.

I'm pretty sure that unless there are accidents or traffic violations to prove his daughter is doing this, they legally could not cancel his auto coverage.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

jiminphilly wrote:
trev wrote:

Are you drunk?

No, I'm not drunk.

I'm pretty sure that unless there are accidents or traffic violations to prove his daughter is doing this, they legally could not cancel his auto coverage.
If she is involved in an accident of any kind, expect her cell phone records to be subpoenaed as part of the investigation..hell most cell phone companies will give that information up with a faxed request from a law enforcement agency, the hell with the subpoena.

Then expect if your state has a law regarding cell phone use while driving, and it is proven she was texting or talking at that time in violation of the law, expect the insurance company to try verrrryyyyy hard to get out of paying the claim.

And expect the civil lawsuit (s) to follow..and if you are on her registration, you will be named also.

Just sayin..
Derron
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

War Wagon wrote:
trev wrote: Seriously, I would not broadcast that proudly.
I don't... like a Dad needed anything more to worry about.

But she's a good kid. The best, actually. I think she worries more about me than I do about her.
You must not be to worried about her texting. If you were, you would ban her from doing so. She must not worry too much about you if she doesn't respect your wishes.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Dashboard televisions are legal and common in Korea.

They look something like this, except they sit atop the
dashboard and double as navigation systems.

People watch TV and drive ... yep.

Sayin'.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Just how fucking selfish and self-centered do you have to be to text while driving?

Your insignificant conversations are more important than other peoples' lives?

Fucking deplorable.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Slanted eyes can't really see that little tv anyway.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Wags, I'll ask your daughter to stop.

~sends text
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

War Wagon wrote:
Screw_Ball wrote: But that means Mommy and Whitey are back to taxi'ing her around town.
Not likely. She's 3 hours south in Springfield getting ready for her senior season...
SEASON? Let me guess, your daughters softball is more focused upon than her education?
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

trev wrote:
War Wagon wrote:My daughter texts while driving. When I told her she shouldn't do that, she informed me that she can text w/o even looking at the phone.

What's a dad to do?

Her car insurance company could cancel her if she is willingly not going to stop texting while driving. Do either of you realize this?
Don't interfere, trev. All you'll end up doing is getting Darwin pissed off at you for making him wait
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Derron wrote:
Then expect if your state has a law regarding cell phone use while driving, and it is proven she was texting or talking at that time in violation of the law, expect the insurance company to try verrrryyyyy hard to get out of paying the claim.

And expect the civil lawsuit (s) to follow..and if you are on her registration, you will be named also.

Just sayin..
Under the situation you just described, the insurance company would have to pay. In fact the legal fight to attempt to deny such a claim would probably cost more than playing the claim itself.. in a sense it's no different than a drunk driver causing an accident. Legally the driver is breaking the law but as long as they meet the definition of an insured driver, they insurance company will be forced to pay. Of course they'll most likely be able to spike your rates or nonrenew your policy at the end of the term.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

trev wrote:

Are you drunk?

No, I'm not drunk.
You should be.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Rack Sam.

I once checked the blackberry for an email while driving on the highway. I rode onto the shoulder and hit those warning bumps. Scared the shit out of me I was that irresponsible. Never again.

Texting while driving is as bad if not worse than DUI.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

jiminphilly wrote:
Derron wrote:

Just sayin..
Under the situation you just described, the insurance company would have to pay. In fact the legal fight to attempt to deny such a claim would probably cost more than playing the claim itself.. in a sense it's no different than a drunk driver causing an accident. Legally the driver is breaking the law but as long as they meet the definition of an insured driver, they insurance company will be forced to pay. Of course they'll most likely be able to spike your rates or nonrenew your policy at the end of the term.

Yeah they would have to pay...but like you said probably drop you after that..its the civil lawsuit that is going to bite them in the ass ...
Derron
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Screw_Michigan wrote:What about OMGI812 RUMPLE?
Or OMG....splat...
Derron
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Dinsdale wrote:Just how fucking selfish and self-centered do you have to be to text while driving?

Fucking deplorable.

Bottom line right there.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Derron wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:
Derron wrote:

Just sayin..

Yeah they would have to pay...but like you said probably drop you after that..its the civil lawsuit that is going to bite them in the ass ...

Obviously it depends on the state. I don't know how MO law is written but I know in quite a few states, punitive damages are not only excluded in many automobile policy forms but the courts have denied those who were victims from an accident from attempting to recover punitive damages beacause they feel the general "pool" of insured drivers would suffer from such a large payment in the form of increased rates etc..
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

My son drinks while driving. When I told him he shouldn't do that, he informed me that he can drive just fine when he's loaded.

What's a dad to do?

And save it, no....I'm not going to lock my liquor cabinet or the wine cellar, disconnect the kegerator or cut off his credit card. He'd just go to an ATM and get cash to pay for it, which he can't afford while in college. Besides, he's got a clean driving record the past few years... knocks on wood.

So, I do what I always do when he walks out the door. I tell him that I love him and don't do anything I wouldn't do.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Dins is spot on, for all intents and purposes doing anything OTHER than driving while you're driving is .....

Putting your desire and immediate "need" over your life and the lives of others.

You are operating a dangerous weapon when driving.

To do so after having consumed alcohol - RESPONSIBILY - might be a little less egregious than being inebriated.

Neither are as bad as "texting while driving" unless of course one is driving intoxicated and texting his or her "booty call" or whatever.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I once ate a full course turkey dinner behind the wheel of a car.
Katy

Post by Katy »

Sudden Sam wrote:I really appreciate parents just throwing their hands up and allowing their kids to text while at the wheel. Thanks.

My nieces's parents are both pussies and allow their daughter to continue having a phone after three wrecks because of her texting. I've asked her to please tell her friends that she has a crazy uncle who rides a motorcycle and to stop their texting if they see me coming. She'll probably be the one who nails me.

TAKE THEIR GODDAMN PHONE AWAY.
RACK Sam.

I was in a minor car accident about 2 months ago. The teenager that hit me was texting and not paying any attention. They charged the teen with wreckless driving. I was lucky because the accident could've been much worse.
Katy

Post by Katy »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Katy wrote:wreckless
Still pounding those meds?
:meds: yeah. TOTALLY.
Katy

Post by Katy »

R-Jack wrote:
Katy wrote:I was lucky because the accident could've been much worse.
Who nose what could've happened if that airbag deployed.
:lol:

It was minor. My kids were in the car-so yeah, I'm glad we were lucky.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Tom In VA wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:Just how fucking selfish and self-centered do you have to be to text while driving?

Fucking deplorable.

Bottom line right there.
On the sidewalk at a job site in Lake No Negro today...hear a scratching on the pavement, and this chick in her new cash for clunkers car fucking rear ends this Beam turning into a gas station. Bitch puts her hand over her mouth and is still looking a her phone as the steam starts rising.

Fuckin awesome.
Derron
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Katy wrote:
R-Jack wrote:
Katy wrote:I was lucky because the accident could've been much worse.
Who nose what could've happened if that airbag deployed.
:lol:

It was minor. My kids were in the car-so yeah, I'm glad we were lucky.
You were actually turning around slapping the kids so stop lying.
Derron
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

trev wrote: You must not be to worried about her texting. If you were, you would ban her from doing so. She must not worry too much about you if she doesn't respect your wishes.
Correct, I'm not worried about her texting while driving. She tells me she can do it safely and her driving record supports that claim. Zero tickets, zero accidents.

Do I like it? Hell no I don't, but if you think a 21 year old isn't going to do whatever they damn well please, then I've got a bridge to nowhere to sell you.

Sure, I could be an asshole and cut off her cell phone service or even take her car away... but that's not going to happen because I'm not some preachy bitch of a message board nanny telling others what they can or cannot do.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Sudden Sam wrote:It's really gonna hurt when I get clobbered on my motorcycle by one of these texters.

When I drag my crumpled ass over to the car that hit me, if I find that the driver was texting, I am gonna beat the ever-lovin' shit outta them with the handlebars or the rear tire or the drive shaft...or whatever part I can salvage from my bike.

Then they can text their mommy or daddy about the mean old dude who just bashed their empty head in.
+1
Although I'll equally adjust their attitude if they were yaking on the phone w/o a hands-free device.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

mvscal wrote:Good for you, Wags. I'll just call dibs on your dumb whore daughter's record player.
RRRRRRRack!
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

mvscal wrote:Good for you, Wags. I'll just call dibs on your dumb whore daughter's record player.
I call dibs on her girlfriend.
General Peters
All-American Kid

Post by General Peters »

mvscal wrote:
War Wagon wrote:What's a dad to do?
Slap her in the face and tell her that she is a stupid, self-centered cunt then take out a good life insurance policy on her dumb ass.
Rack.

And then post her pic here for us to jerk to. It's the proper punishment.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

General Peters wrote: And then post her pic here for us to jerk to. It's the proper punishment.
Punishment?

If you ever got her dismissive glance, you'd be going all PSU health club killer before taking out your final frustration.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
I call dibs on her girlfriend.
How about a picture of her and her girl friend snatch munching ?
Derron