hey Dins--- Portland baseball park

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

hey Dins--- Portland baseball park

Post by Wolfman »

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/portor/pge.htm

Watching the AAA All Star game from Portland. Looks like a nice place--but I realized it was "old" what with posts that must block the views of some fans. Ball Park Reviews gives it an A. What say ??
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Re: hey Dins--- Portland baseball park

Post by Derron »

Wolfman wrote:http://www.ballparkreviews.com/portor/pge.htm

Watching the AAA All Star game from Portland. Looks like a nice place--but I realized it was "old" what with posts that must block the views of some fans. Ball Park Reviews gives it an A. What say ??
I don't think it gets an A simply because it is all synthetic except for the base cutouts. That simply is not baseball. There are stadiums that have synthetic turf areas and dirt skinned areas. There are also complete synthetic areas like at the U of O. For purists it sucks, but in our Northwest climate it makes a lot of sense, since the college ball is so early while the weather is still pretty wet.

Not a bad stadium for the over all experience. Trouble is the faggot mayor and his posse want to kick the Beavers out and let the new MLS team build a sports specific stadium. Send the Beavers packing to a new stadium some where. Rigghttt..

It has a new synthetic turf infield and outfield. Fair rapid trend in baseball. But they could have at least colored the
"skinned area" brown to make it look like a skinned area. Synthetic " skinned " areas changes the game a lot.

Viewing it is hard..the plastic reflects light a lot differently than natural turf.

Nice link...I have an informal rating going on a note pad as I watch my MLB extra innnings.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

It's OK for what it is.

Nowhere to park, but it's on the MAX light rail, so it works out.

It's also the location of this legendary sports moment -- http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon ... _11BLOO113

I used to get a contractors' dealio where a vendor reserved the first base foul territory (where there's a bar... cool setup), and they'd have kegs and BBQ burgers and whatnot for us all game... need to get in on that deal again.

It's also Jerry Glanville's home field these days.

From the outside, the rooton old building looks like it's about to fall down, but they dropped some bucks on the inside a few years back (throwing money at a decrepit old AAA stadium probably wasn't the best use of funds, but whatever.

But all in all, it ain't bad for what it is. They made it so you can stand outside and watch the game, if you're too cheap to pony up the $5 for a cheap ticket... and they usually just open up the gates after about the third inning anyway.

And they pull massive crowds by AAA standards on Thursday games (always night games on Thursday), when it's Thirsty Thursday, aka cheap beer night. The 1st Base bar becomes quite the meet-market/singles bar on thursdays (they average something like 15,000 on thursdays, about 2000 or so the other days).

As Derron mentioned, it looks like the MLS disaster (a scam brought to the Good People of Portland by one Merrit Paulson... yeah, that guy's kid... who better to take financial advice from?) is going to take over the whole stadium. There's talk of putting a new AAA park in Lents, a fairly shitty neighborhood out on the corner of town, which would suck... baseball belongs downtown, no matter what city you're in. Not sure what Portland State (which is right up the street from PGE Park) is going to do if it becomes soccer-only.

BTW -- RACK the kid from my high school who advanced to the second round in the home run derby and launched bombs all over the place (I think he had the longest shot of the derby, but the two high school kids got to use metal bats, so there's that).

This town love events like that, where we get to play host to visitors. We get another NCAA Hoops Regional year after next... bring it all on. Like analysts and people who track such things always say, it's an awfully big city to have so few sports... we'll get out MLB team sooner or later (sup, Marlins keep talking about moving here... we'd need a roof like Safeco in Seattle has for the early season games). Now they've done away with the state-run sports gambling, the sporting climate should improve.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Been to a game there. Not bad. Did the Beer Garden thing. Only problem was limited bathrooms. Man, when I'm drinking, I don't like waiting in a huge line. But my brother lives there and said almost exactly what Dins and Derron said. Turning a cozy old minor league baseball stadium into a soccer stadium?????? Sacrelige.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

PGE park, formerly Civic Stadium, already has a rich history as a soccer venue. And Portland has a history as a soccer loving town, even among the white folk.

Consider Pele played his last NASL match there http://sports.espn.go.com/classic/s/mom ... title.html.

The US National team has also played there including a World Cup qualifyer against Costa Rica in 1998.

And Dins, Portland State likes the MLS idea as the soccer upgrades will make PGE better for college football too. The Vikings will still play there.

http://www.dailyvanguard.com/mls-team-i ... -1.1606912
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Q, West Coast Style wrote: And Dins, Portland State likes the MLS idea as the soccer upgrades will make PGE better for college football too. The Vikings will still play there.

http://www.dailyvanguard.com/mls-team-i ... -1.1606912
Yeah PSU is such a crowd drawer...with that stellar record last year. I don;t see that happening. MLS wants dedicated stadiums. And that means no football.

One set of markings only on the field. The markings on synthetic are sewn right in, and football marks would have to be painted on and removed after the games..I see PSU moving to Hillsboro Stadium..may not be downtown but they might have a place to play and that is more likely with the HUGE crowds PSU draws.

16,000 something in their last night for the Triple A All star game.
Derron
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:Consider Pele played his last NASL match there

I was there, matter of fact.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote:
Q, West Coast Style wrote:Consider Pele played his last NASL match there

I was there, matter of fact.
Soccer fag.

But probably was a good call for the sports history aspect.

Rack me for being at Nolan Ryan's last MLB game at the Kingdome.
Derron