First round games thread

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

First round games thread

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Looking forward to Butler/LSU, Michigan/Clemson, and WKU/Illinois - all on in my area.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Re: First round games thread

Post by King Crimson »

LSU-Butler should be interesting. mostly Big XII stuff on in Denver....though, it's weird because it's clear that the Denver media people know the area would rather see "national" stuff than the Big XII, let alone CU. even arena football over college hoops during the reg season.

Denver is a terrible college sports market.

for instance, when Oklahoma plays Missouri a couple weeks ago...you have two ranked teams playing a pivotal game for the Big XII crown, Blake Griffin back from injury.....and the local Fox affiliate doesn't pick up the game from the Big XII network and instead shows a 2 hour retrospective on the Rockies run to the WS.....from TWO years ago. a special that's been shown 15 times in the last 16 months.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

King Crimson wrote:Denver is a terrible college sports market.
That's because Denver is a fucking horrible place to live.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

another big first rounder is the big rematch between Cal and Maryland. this time it will be played in a virtual biosphere where numerical time and geography as we understand it will be nullified....in order to ensure an equal playing field where true (the truth) competition can flourish.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Denver is a terrible college sports market.
That's because Denver is a fucking horrible place to live.
Denver area works for me. i like it a lot.
"
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I was being half facitious. Pete Gillen just said "Grevais Vasquez is a terrific PENETRATAHHHHHHHHH!"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Don't mind Screwball. I don't think he's ever stepped foot inside the state of Colorado, let alone Denver.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Don't mind Screwball. I don't think he's ever stepped foot inside the state of Colorado, let alone Denver.
I know better.

Colin Cowturd: "Nobody cares about Cinderella. People only care about the big-time programs."
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

CS-Northridge with the early lead on Memphis. Butler playing like garbage.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Go Matadors........tied now......
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Memphis getting in big time foul trouble.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

CS Northridge playing pretty solid D. Memphis seems to be settling for a lot of 3s. CS Northridge meanwhile drives to the hole on pretty much every possession, and drawing a lot of fouls.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Memphis getting in big time foul trouble.
this is the thing. the officiating is a whole diff ball of wax in the tournament, a real wildcard vs. allegedly steady conference officiating.

Memphis is the C-USA baby. they get calls. Kelvin Sampson's Sooners beat the snot out of everybody, guarded to 25 feet from the hoops with hard hand checks you could get away with in the Big XII. you start calling that 25 feet from the hoop hand check, OU was in trouble.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Memphis wing guy flopped pretty hard on a 3, and of course got the call.

Butler right back in this one.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Northridge takes the lead!

I have Memphis in the elite 8 but would love to see these fuckers lose.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I'll kill you, Coach Cal!!!!
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Calipari is jerkoff.

if Northridge wins, no one will be happier than "coach" Steve Lavin. he lost to lost to the Toros twice if i'm correct.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

CSN turns it over then gets the ball right back and promptly drives to the hole for 2. Up 6 now. No matter what happens here, the Memphis interior D is getting exposed. Would provide great strategy for future opposition.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

ATm putting it on BYU.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Memphis pulling away now.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

BYU just got fucked on a dribble penetration. make off the glass. bad call at a crucial time in the game. should have been "and 1". instead, 6 -7 point swing.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Looks like I'm 0-2 on 8/9 games.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:CSN turns it over
Our house...is a very, very, very fine house.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Looks like I'm 0-2 on 8/9 games.
that's what 8-9 games were made for.
"
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

It looked bleak for a little while with those three early games...but I ended up 2-1 with LSU and Memphis regaining control of their games.

With Lawson out, I can't imagine UNC having too much trouble with Radford. They won't win it all without him but they should at least get out of the first weekend if he has to miss both games.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

King Crimson wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Looks like I'm 0-2 on 8/9 games.
that's what 8-9 games were made for.
Yeah, the mid-major is not looking good in these 8/9 matchups. Good sign for OSU, perhaps.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Anybody think Calhoun is on his last 12 months at UConn? This is the second time this season he's had to miss games because of health. And you have to be REALLY fucking ill to miss a tournament game, even if it is just a opening rd 1v16.
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Anybody think Calhoun is on his last 12 months at UConn?
Last twelve months at UConn..........or the last 12 months of life????
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Purdue trying to give the game back to N Iowa.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Shine wrote:Purdue trying to give the game back to N Iowa.
I wish. That was one of my first round upset picks.

Meanwhile, Cal and Maryland are playing a nailbiter in my own backyard, and they've got UNC and Radford on the tube in a 37 point blowout.

Mother of Fuck, who makes these decisions?
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Your CBS affiliate. I'm sure their phones are blowing up right now. When I was at the paper, we'd get phone calls from irate viewers asking us why they were still watching a blowout when a better game was on. "Uh, you need to call WSBT."
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Big ups to the Mega March Madness package and watching whatever game I want!!!
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Mook wrote:Last twelve months at UConn..........or the last 12 months of life????

Classy.

RACK the flu that hit paydirt. :meds:
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:
Mook wrote:Last twelve months at UConn..........or the last 12 months of life????

Classy.

RACK the flu that hit paydirt. :meds:
You go to the hospital for the flu? Dumbfuck.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

RACK Maryland's utter ownage of all things Cal. :lol:
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Coach Calhoun has not been feeling well for the past several days and it is best that he not coach the team today for precautionary reasons," said UConn Director of Sports Medicine Dr. Jeff Anderson, in a statement released by the school.

Dr. Anderson is with the coach, according to the school. The coach is not expected to be at the arena for the game today. A source close to Calhoun said this is, "nothing to worry about." His illness was described by this source as the flu.

Calhoun has had frequent hospital visits over the past decade for prostate cancer, skin cancer, and in January of 2008 for flu-like symptoms.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:RACK Maryland's utter ownage of all things Cal. :lol:
yeah, normally who would care? Cal must have had to change time zones.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

This is one thing that sucks about CBS and the tournament. There is practically an entire game being played, and CBS goes to alternative programming. Daytime court shows. :meds: Retirement homes all across the nation are rejoicing.

I'm watching the UW/Miss St game online.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Michigan is playing their game. Should be a good one down the stretch.

Oh, and I'm glad I don't have Nova making much noise. :lol: Then again, I never pick them to do much.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Michigan gets a taste of their own medicine...the opposition is throwing 'bows at them instead of the other way around. Clemson looks like a team ready to go home early.