How did you come to be associated with Smack Chat?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

How did you come to be associated with Smack Chat?

Post by PSUFAN »

I guess for most folks, the answer is jimrome.com.

Personally, I began listening to Rome during 1997-1998 when I lived in Long Beach, CA. When I returned to Pittsburgh, Rome had no area affiliate, and I sort of forgot about the show. I guess on a whim I checked out jimrome.com in fall 1999, and read some at SC...then registered and began posting on the College Football forum.

Is that pretty much how it went down for everybody?
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Re: How did you come to be associated with Smack Chat?

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

More or less PSU.

I began listening to Rome around the same time, just before SC came into existence. A couple of weeks after he started talking about the site, I checked it out. There was a hell of a lot of good posters back then and the guys who were the storytellers, like Jon the Chowd and Dark Gable as example, sort of guided the direction I took.

Ten years after, here we are.

Of course, I stopped listening to Rome about four or five years ago, just tuning in on SmackOff days only.
Justa Pickle
Crack Whore

Post by Justa Pickle »

Jim Rome back in 98.

I had a blast at the Jim Rome Tour Stop in Madison. I don't remember what year it was...maybe 2001. Anyhoo, the Alliant Center was jammed packed. Must have been about 10,000 people for the event. My friend and I were standing in line for a beer for the longest time and I said..."Fuck this!" and came up with the great idea to crash the luxury suites and pretend we belonged there. The first one we walked into had a full bar and fully catered with food. We were there for half an hour eating and drinking for free before someone asked us what company we were with. I was quick on my feet and said the name I saw on the luxury suite down the hall. They politely told us we were in the wrong room and had to leave. Needless to say, we went to that other luxury suite and did the same thing. Oops, wrong room. :)

At that moment the lights went down and the show was starting. Me and my friend rushed out to the auditorium, but all the seats were taken. Only the nose bleed were available. I decided to see how close we could get to the stage and we pushed and shoved our way all the way to the very front! We were the closest to the stage and Jim Rome.

I must say, it was like a comedy show. Jim Rome was fricken hiliarious! And he had great guests too! He got Packer legends Jerry Kramer and Fuzzy Thorston, the Brewers Coach Ned Yost and the GM. Some of the Wisconsin Badgers. It was awesome. Never thought in my wildest dreams Rome would be that much fun.
I come here only to read every mvscal post. The rest of you can go fukkk yourselves
Justa Pickle
Crack Whore

Post by Justa Pickle »

Sudden Sam wrote:
I got into it regularly with index.
God, I hated that fucker! He was one of those negroes that thought he was intelligent simply because he used a few words that most negroes couldn't even pronounce. He couldn't string together a grammatically correct sentence or formulate an opinion or understand a point of view...but he sure done thinked he be smart.

He would spend hours typing and coming up with arguments with DrDetriot and then I would come in and nip at his ankles. One of my favorite things I did on smackchat was send him a gif of Hitler. Heheheheheehehehe! He melted....asked if it was meant to "intimidate him" and contacted the California Attorney Generals Office. What a stupid fucking nog! I'm glad he's dead now. Rack Sickle Cell!
I come here only to read every mvscal post. The rest of you can go fukkk yourselves
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Y yo tambien.....

I still think Index is trolling as LTS Tard....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Justa Pickle
Crack Whore

Post by Justa Pickle »

The Seer wrote:Y yo tambien.....

I still think Index is trolling as LTS Tard....

No, Index is dead. I read his obituary a couple years ago.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Justa Pickle wrote:He would spend hours typing and coming up with arguments with DrDetriot and then I would come in and nip at his ankles. One of my favorite things I did on smackchat was send him a gif of Hitler. Heheheheheehehehe! He melted....asked if it was meant to "intimidate him" and contacted the California Attorney Generals Office. What a stupid fucking nog! I'm glad he's dead now. Rack Sickle Cell!
Nobody fucking cares.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

PSUFAN wrote:I guess for most folks, the answer is jimrome.com.

Personally, I began listening to Rome during 1997-1998 when I lived in Long Beach, CA. When I returned to Pittsburgh, Rome had no area affiliate, and I sort of forgot about the show. I guess on a whim I checked out jimrome.com in fall 1999, and read some at SC...then registered and began posting on the College Football forum.

Is that pretty much how it went down for everybody?
I started listening to Jim Rome's show back in 97. Back then I traveled constantly by car for work related purposes, often in the middle of the day. Heard Iafrate's Smack Off call and was hooked. Two months later I'm in a hotel room in Binghamton, NY when it occurs to me that this Rome fellow I've been listening to might just have a website. I fire up the laptop and the rest is Interwebs history.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Listened to Rome around '99 or so. Actually went to his site in an attempt to send him an email. Somehow, it went to somebody else who replied telling me to pretty much gfy. Then I found SCIII. It was pretty much in it's glory days by then. Threads dropping off the first page in a few hours. Favorite posters at the time had to be mcet, IT and eclone.

Nish was new as well. Probably joined a week or 2 before me. His one on the rest of the board smackdowns were pretty fukking funny.

The board tp roll at the time, if I recall was montana man. Is he still around in some form or did poptart run him as well?

Then the mods went on coffee break for a few days and it became a gay pron site. Now we got this shithole.

Nice going.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

smackaholic wrote:Then the mods went on coffee break for a few days and it became a gay pron site. Now we got this shithole.

Nice going.
And yet, here you are. And here you stay.

Nice going.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Never heard of the SCs until I logged onto SN in '06. I came over here on a dare from YD and you know the rest.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Look at it as preseason smack camp. You may get smacked on an occasion.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

I think Rome came on in KC around 98/99 and having never heard anything like it on AM got hooked. Heard him pimping the website and went straight into the NFL fourm. Many flame wars with the Raider crew - my favorite was Toos and later poptart and RJ.
Learned to wytch, Got into a few smack-offs had a lot of laughs. /nostalgia

When SCIII melted ended up at TNW and hooked up with RBI, Brew, OCMike, Sarge and a few others in a daily e-mail spamfest.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Smack can be brutal, personal, and crude.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Ah yes. Good ole TNW.

The kindler gentler SC.

The thinking man's SC.

It was doomed to fail.

Any place that thinks of itself as a better "terlit", is, in the end still a terlit.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:Ah yes. Good ole TNW.

The kindler gentler SC.

The thinking man's SC.

It was doomed to fail.

Any place that thinks of itself as a better "terlit", is, in the end still a terlit.
Ah yes, TNW. A finer collection of whiny, self-absorbed preeners has seldom been assembled.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

As long as we're at it...what happened to Caddy/caddie?
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

you're a fuckin' jerkoff.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Go fuck yourself.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Probably found it in about 96.

Followed several of the Boards..some of the regulars made for some fun

Strider-Inky Dave - Dave in Tulsa..
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

PSUFAN wrote:Personally, I began listening to Rome during 1997-1998 when I lived in Long Beach, CA.
Eat at the Potholder.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

We drove up from Peedro.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Started listening to Rome on lunch breaks in the car around 98-99. He was picked up by the new sports station in Providence so I checked it out. Got bored at work one day and checked the website out that he had mentioned. It seemed like alot of inside jokes at first, but I figured it out from there. Roofer was a big stick whose posting I liked. Been following ever since and enjoying my time here.
New England Patriots
2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016 Champions

Boston Red Sox
2004, 2007, 2013 Champions

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
MadRussian
Poop is Funny!!!

Post by MadRussian »

Goober McTuber wrote:
smackaholic wrote:Ah yes. Good ole TNW.

The kindler gentler SC.

The thinking man's SC.

It was doomed to fail.

Ah yes, TNW. A finer collection of whiny, self-absorbed preeners has seldom been assembled.
So you must have beenthe admin there, right?
Because "whiny", "self-absorbed preener" seem to be the driving forces for your life's raison de etre, you lardass insignificant pile of nothing. You cried for months when it shut down, hell I bet your mommy had to change your bedpans, that is unless your diaper fetish took over again.
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
P.J. O'Rourke.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Goober McTuber wrote: Ah yes, TNW. A finer collection of whiny, self-absorbed preeners has seldom been assembled.
Got your ass kicked there a LOT, eh?
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

kcclones.com and Smackboard.com, Mace.

And one day down the road you won't remember the name of this shithole, either.

Think about that, and how meaningless all of your hours on this board are in the overall scheme of things.

All is vanity.

And btw, whenever you skip down memory lane and talk about Catfish, Jay, Luther, I chuckle to myself because what comes immediately to mind is DC's EPIC smackoff video from earlier this year.

Funnayest shit EVAR posted.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=27334

Absolute fucking CLASSIC!

Oh, I arrived at SmackChat in October of '99, imo.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

The Seer wrote:As long as we're at it...what happened to Caddy/caddie?
Banned from SCIII for posting an Admin's real name, IIRC.

From there, he went on to start the Vent. I went there once, on velocet's say-so, but it was so godawful I had no desire to go back.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

poptart wrote:kcclones.com and Smackboard.com, Mace.

And one day down the road you won't remember the name of this shithole, either.

Think about that, and how meaningless all of your hours on this board are in the overall scheme of things.

All is vanity.
'tart, would you just lighten the fuck up already? The moroseness of your posts of late are really fucking depressing during the holidays. Aren't you "saved" and shit. What the fuck do you have to be so down about? You've got eternal life to look forward to, right? RIGHT?

Here's an idea. Go down to the local equivalent of Wal-Mart and drop some change in the Salvation Army kettle. Better yet, stand there ringing the damn bell. Jeebus, the savior is about to be born.
And btw, whenever you skip down memory lane and talk about Catfish, Jay, Luther, I chuckle to myself because what comes immediately to mind is DC's EPIC smackoff video from earlier this year.

Funnayest shit EVAR posted.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=27334

Absolute fucking CLASSIC!
I laffed even harder this time. Just off the hook. Even you must admit that every minute you've wasted on these boards was worth it for that alone.

So what's your fucking problem?
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

One of my former college roommates, who was an insurance adjuster who rode around in a car all day, said something funny one time during a telephone call. I laughed and said it was a good one. He said it was part of Jim Rome's "gloss" and then ripped off about a dozen other funny things. When I got home from work, I searched for Rome's "Gloss" and found a page on Smack Chat. I read a few of the threads on the college football board and decided to register so I could straighten out a few twisted fuckers. I've been following around the boards ever since.
take that story and substitute brother in law for college roomate and it pretty much nails it...
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Hi War Wagon

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I knew that.

:lol:
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

I took the wrong exit off the freeway and wound up in a place called Honksville. I gave Goobs five bucks for directions back to the main road and wound up here.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Fwiw... heard Rome yammering on the local sports talk radio, in October 2000 I believe, when the Chiefs actually gave me a reason to listen local sports talk radio.

Logged in as KC DAVE, not knowing of the original kcdave of the battered ribcage. I think he's the one sent me the link to TNW. Ran into Scotty, and then Truman... and then orcinus.

Good times.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Yea, it's too bad there were a select few that took the smack thing way too seriously and totally fucking melted. That freaked a few others out and they turtled.

Hell, I even remember when Sammy used to be funny...

Inkydave should be rotting in hell, other than the one he made for himself.
He's pretty much the one who tore down a lot of what the boards were with his personnal info bullshit.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Rack 'tart for the DC video reset. Fucking tears.

I wasn't around when it was originally posted, but the funniest thing I've read on this board was Moorese's virginity being taken by orange shag carpet. That story and the DC video will always justify time wasted here.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

The Seer wrote:As long as we're at it...what happened to Caddy/caddie?
shutyomouth was Caddie

please say you knew

Oh, and the New & Improved Hostboard is a real disappointment so far, btw
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BTW-maybe we can do a "roll call" for everyone here who isn't named Dave or Mike.

Fuck, I swear 98% of you are Dave or Mike... common maes, but when I meet people in real life, I occasionally meet people with names besides Dave and Mike.
The Deciders
Jake

Post by The Deciders »

The Deciders came to fruition in the summer of '69. But our first commissioned gig was in the summer of '93, when we were hired to oversee the "Denver Singles Looking 4 Love" AOL chat room. We were a carefully selected, hand picked group of techies, inventors, marketers, CEOs, and people who are really good at deciding stuff. And when I say "hand picked," I mean literally hand picked. We all woke up one evening in a post-drugged stupor in a white room surrounded by six or seven guys with slick backed hair and expensive black suits. Confused and scared, We asked what the hell was going on. They simply said, "You're here because you're good. You're here because you're the best.

The rest is history. From there our reputation grew larger, and so did the jobs...and so did that sweet, sweet cayshola. We took on jobs for Google, Microsoft, Comcast, ESPN, Amazon, you name it. We rolled bigtime, all the time.

These days we sort of kick back in semi retirement mode, taking on smaller tasks here and there like message boards, blog operations, and the occasional porn site. You've heard of "barely legal?" We work closely with site operators and lawyers to see how far we can push that legal envelope before the feds get involved.

We've had some involvement in the past with SmackChat, TNW, The Vent, smackbat, and others. Our lawyers could've CRUSHED Jim Rome and his suits, but we felt it was best to let that board die. We wanted to take on greater, more important challenges. And here we are. What a tangled web we weave.

Later, losers.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Dinsdale wrote:BTW-maybe we can do a "roll call" for everyone here who isn't named Dave or Mike.

Fuck, I swear 98% of you are Dave or Mike... common maes, but when I meet people in real life, I occasionally meet people with names besides Dave and Mike.
several Jimmy's too, imo
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

The Deciders wrote:The Deciders came to fruition in the summer of '69. But our first commissioned gig was in the summer of '93, when we were hired to oversee the "Denver Singles Looking 4 Love" AOL chat room. We were a carefully selected, hand picked group of techies, inventors, marketers, CEOs, and people who are really good at deciding stuff. And when I say "hand picked," I mean literally hand picked. We all woke up one evening in a post-drugged stupor in a white room surrounded by six or seven guys with slick backed hair and expensive black suits. Confused and scared, We asked what the hell was going on. They simply said, "You're here because you're good. You're here because you're the best.

The rest is history. From there our reputation grew larger, and so did the jobs...and so did that sweet, sweet cayshola. We took on jobs for Google, Microsoft, Comcast, ESPN, Amazon, you name it. We rolled bigtime, all the time.

These days we sort of kick back in semi retirement mode, taking on smaller tasks here and there like message boards, blog operations, and the occasional porn site. You've heard of "barely legal?" We work closely with site operators and lawyers to see how far we can push that legal envelope before the feds get involved.

We've had some involvement in the past with SmackChat, TNW, The Vent, smackbat, and others. Our lawyers could've CRUSHED Jim Rome and his suits, but we felt it was best to let that board die. We wanted to take on greater, more important challenges. And here we are. What a tangled web we weave.

Later, losers.
So, you fukkers were at the wheel when SC3 went to shit?

Nce resume bullet, right there.