Health question for some of the other old guys here

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Health question for some of the other old guys here

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm not "old" -- I'm 41.

I've had more floaters than you can count on your fingers and toes since I was a teen.

So, judging purely from my own experience, I'd say don't worry about it.

But I obviously had a tendency for them... your old ass's case might be different.

Been so long, I don't notice them anymore, and if you wouldn't have brought it up, I would have forgotten I had them.

As far as the "annoyance factor" goes... they'll quit bugging the fuck out of you eventually, like a chipped tooth or something equally annoying.

But yeah, that shit is pretty dramatic at first.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Christ. Get a yearly eye exam. GPs and Er docs don't know shit and don't have the equipment to really see what's going on. Once a year eye exams are usually covered by insurance, and if you don't have any, some clinics offer deece rates for old farts like yourself.

Plus, you get the wear the old man gigantor specs home so everyone else can laugh at you.

My mother has a cataract in one eye and mac degen in the other. Of course she's 80 plus but she didn't have her eyes checked much before they got bad and when they maybe could have treated her to avoid the risk of losing vision in both eyes.

Bet yer ass I get them checked every year.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Ditto to what Dinsdale said.

I'm 48 (and still don't need glasses) and have had floaters for ... must be 20 years now.

I've asked the eye doc about them and he said they are very common and are, in my case at least, nothing to worry about.

But Bushice is right, Mace.
Get the blinkers checked out.
Because you're a pussy.

haha
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

No floaters here at 69, but visual acuity is to the point where I need glasses for driving as well as reading. Props to Ben Franklin or whomever invented bifocals. What did Mick Jagger say ? "What a drag it is getting old ?" So far, so good for me !
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I have pretty much daily experience with floaters, Mace. I get lots of fiber in my diet.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Seriously, Mace, I got one of those eye floaters about 15 years ago. Very annoying at first, but I kind of got used to it. To the point where a year later I realized that I hadn’t even noticed when it completely cleared up. You sure it isn’t just a speck of sheep shit?
Jerkovich
Please pay attention to Me

Post by Jerkovich »

This thread is full of floaters.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Fairly common..I have had them since I was about 10, and I am 51 now.

I see the eye doc yearly, have had 2 retinal retraction surgeries... and wear bifocals.

The eye doc explained it, but says they do not cause any real problems. The FAA flight physical and ODOT physical doc says no problem and has signed me off every exam.

Annoying, but not much you can do about it.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

It's confirmed, you old dudes are a bunch of shitheads :lol:
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Jsc810 wrote:Nope, I've never had that medical problem.

RACK being able to say that :)
But then again.. I have never coded out either..rack being able to say that..
Derron
Louis Cyphre
Elwood

Post by Louis Cyphre »

In the same boat with Dins and others that posted. I'm 36 now with no need for glasses and have had "floaters" since my early 20's. They were annoying as all hell when they first came on, but now I hardly notice them.
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Louis Cyphre
Elwood

Post by Louis Cyphre »

Whatever you do, do not focus on them, or they will constantly be in the center of your field of vision.
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
MadRussian
Poop is Funny!!!

Post by MadRussian »

Mace wrote:Anyone have experience with "floaters" in your eyes? I'm told that near sighted folks are more susceptible to having them as they age and, worse case scenario, it could be a detatched retina. I made an emergency trip to the doc last week and he could not see a detatched retina but it's getting worse and I'll be calling him again tomorrow. Any of you guys gone through this?
I heard its caused by head trauma, like one would get if they were getting throatfucked violently.
Hmmmmmm
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
P.J. O'Rourke.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mace wrote:He also told me that gravity would eventually pull the floaters to the bottom of the eye and that I would not notice them.

Maybe I should go to your eyedoc, then.

~30 years, and I'm still waiting for that "bottom of the eye" thing to kick in.

But again, I wouldn't have given them a second though, had you not brought it up. I really don't notice them unless I go looking for them.

But I feel your pain -- when that shit started developing as a youngster, every new one was fucking annoying as hell. This too shall pass, even if the floaters don't.
MadRussian
Poop is Funny!!!

Post by MadRussian »

Mace wrote:
MadRussian wrote:
Mace wrote:Anyone have experience with "floaters" in your eyes? I'm told that near sighted folks are more susceptible to having them as they age and, worse case scenario, it could be a detatched retina. I made an emergency trip to the doc last week and he could not see a detatched retina but it's getting worse and I'll be calling him again tomorrow. Any of you guys gone through this?
I heard its caused by head trauma, like one would get if they were getting throatfucked violently.
Hmmmmmm
I guess that would explain your blindness. It must literally suck to be you.

r3p3lled 20/20 :hfal:
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
P.J. O'Rourke.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mace wrote: Dins: Do you continue getting new floaters from time to time, or are you just dealing with the old ones.

Fuck if I know. They're so entrenched as part of my being, that I really couldn't tell you.

But I think it's the same few dozen I've had for years.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

what the fuck are "floaters"?

are they associated with halluciongens?
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I've had a few floaters for quite some time. I don't really even notice them anymore.

Anybody care to discuss hemorrhoids?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I had perfect vision until age 32, when suddenly I developed a cataract. Got that fixed up, but I've had floaters ever since. My eye doc assures me that it's ok.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Wolfman wrote:No floaters here at 69, but visual acuity is to the point where I need glasses for driving as well as reading. Props to Ben Franklin or whomever invented bifocals. What did Mick Jagger say ? "What a drag it is getting old ?" So far, so good for me !
Since you mentioned it, bifocals here since age 41. :brad:

Mom wears them and Dad, while he was alive, wore them too. So in my case, unless it turned out I was adopted and never knew it, I suppose bifocals were pretty much genetically pre-ordained, if'n I lived long enough. Complaining about needing them would be the verbal equivalent of pissing into the wind.

Having said that, what shocked me about that particular dealio was not that I needed them, but that I needed them at 41. At 41, I thought bifocals were still a good 15-20 years away. At the rate I'm heading, I'll probably be legally blind by the time I'm 60, if not sooner. And that's with the annual checkups Bushice urges.

My one and only concession to vanity: I refuse to get a pair of glasses with the line in them. So I pay through the nose for a pair of glasses, even with partial insurance coverage.

To answer the question Mace posed, no problems with floaters here. Shocking, given all the vision problems I have and the fact that they're apparently quite common, at least among this group.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
huh?
Elwood

Post by huh? »

Cuda wrote:what the fuck are "floaters"?

I was wondering the same thing. I assume they're something like this Image
Jerkovich
Please pay attention to Me

Post by Jerkovich »

huh? wrote:
Cuda wrote:what the fuck are "floaters"?

I was wondering the same thing. I assume they're something like this Image

No, the fiber in their homo vegan diet is a precursor.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Mace, I'm glad you're not going blind now, but I still don't know what the fuck a floater is, imo
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Ang
Jumpin' Little Juke Joint Gal

Post by Ang »

Mace,

Glad to read that you found out what was happening. That's kind of scary shit turned into a hopefully good fix. I hope it works out well for you.

Ang
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Mace wrote:Thanks, Ang. I think everything will be fine in a few weeks but I was hoping to have perfect 20-20 vision by Thursday to watch Iowa piss pound South Carolina. That's not going to be the case but at least I won't have to listen to the game on the radio.
This has to be bad board karma here. Mace read about the floaters, he smacked on Kierland a bit, and then he has to go under the knife.

Expect other board participants to start dropping with health problems here soon.

If you read about it on T1B, then it will happen to you.
Derron