Michigan vs. Ohio State - Official Pregame Thread

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Re: Michigan vs. Ohio State - Official Pregame Thread

Post by Sky »

For 88, LB, and SC, and anyone else who is coming....

We are having a tailgate and you are all more than welcome to come. Its BYOB but food and a close location will be provided.

Can't wait for the game.....its one of those situations where we have everything to lose and UM has everything to gain.

I think our D will give us the chance to win but Pryor's play will determine a lot. It was probably good he went through the PSU game but nothing really compares to this game.
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Tailgate = IN...

Buying a round for LB, Sky, 88 courtesy of SC = IN

Beating those fuckers again...I don't care how fucking bad they are...Dick Rod said he was treating this like any other game (paraphrasing)...I hope we show his fucking pathetic ass what this rivalry is all about...Senior Day with some great Seniors leaving the program...it is going to be ELECTRIC...by the way my seats are C Deck about 45 Yard LINE...BODE...

I will be in Friday night...LB sky has my cell if you are out and about...we might be headed to VC or Eddie George's...also 88 when you coming down?

Fuck It

tOSU 31
that shit school up north 14
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Losing to Michigan can't be an option for the Buckeyes. I don't think you guys could stomach a full year of knowing that you lost to the worst Michigan team record-wise in the program's history. Ohio State is still playing for a possible share or outright conference title while Michigan is just playing out the string.

I'm expecting a thorough beating on Saturday. I'm actually embracing that idea rather than RichRod getting his guys to put up the performance of the season to scare the Buckeyes, if not pull off the major upset. I think that might piss the fans off up here more that he could get them ready for Ohio State but he couldn't beat teams like Toledo, Notre Dame and Purdue.

I say just take the thrashing from big brother and work on turning things around next year. Is a 4-8 record with a win over Ohio State really that much better than a 3-9 season? It's been a rough year that not many up here expected. Losing to the Buckeyes was to be expected regardless of how bad this Michigan turned out.

If Michigan somehow wins, I wouldn't dare brag because I don't know where this program truly is through one season. You just can't seem to predict which team you'll see from week-to-week. They've looked either competitive and scrappy or mistake-prone and fundamentally flawed. They played one quality game in my eyes and that was the win last week in the Metrodome to retain the jug.

I've gone all this far and hadn't mentioned Pryor and how he plays into all this. I don't know how close he was to coming to Michigan after Rodriguez took the job. I'm not going to accuse the Buckeyes of any shady stuff. The kid went to the superior program and much to many people's surprise...he's gotten a lot of playing time this season and has become one of the most impactful freshmen players in America. I didn't think we'd see him playing until next year but he's got the bulk of one season under his belt and Buckeyes have a bright future ahead of them with him under center.

On to the actual game itself...Pryor and that offense goes along the same lines as Utah, Illinois, Penn State, Purdue and Northwestern...a spread offense or a variation of it with a duel-threat QB. Shafer has shown he's not able to scheme and keep an offense like that in check. Add to that, a punishing runner like Wells that trashed this team last year with against a better coached and more experienced defense. The Buckeye defense has also been on a solid run ever since losing to USC. All signs point to a 2 or 3 touchdown win for the Buckeyes. If Brandon Minor can't play on Saturday and if Sheridan has to play the majority of the game, I'd look for something in the 21 point and above range.

Michigan 7
Ohio State 31
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

michigan gets credit for the win if they cover the spread. i have them penciled in for 3-9.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Shoalzie wrote: Is a 4-8 record with a win over Ohio State really that much better than a 3-9 season?
jesus, you write some stupid shit sometimes. weren't you checked out long ago after it was clear we weren't going to win the national championship?
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

m club is en fuego tonight.. lol
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

M Club wrote:weren't you checked out long ago after it was clear we weren't going to win the national championship?

I've been in here all year, friend...
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

the shoalzie doctrine is that the season doesn't matter once you're out of the national title picture and you haven't decided if you're going to watch the bowl game. and yes, there's a huge fucking difference between 3-9 and 4-8 with a win over osu. these aren't rhetorical questions.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Count me in for this one, boys. Hopefully we can all grab a brew before kickoff. I hear gametime temperature might be in the low 30s/hi 20s. In that case, I'm down for a few more, since my AZ winter gear ain't gonna cut it.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

M Club wrote:the shoalzie doctrine is that the season doesn't matter once you're out of the national title picture and you haven't decided if you're going to watch the bowl game.
The big goal every year is to win every game and get a shot and winning the MNC...what's wrong with that? It's a pride thing beyond that to not have the bottom drop out. You can certainly still win a conference title and not be in the hunt for the MNC...it's not wrong to shoot for secondary goals after you miss out on winning it all. I certainly don't clamor for a third or fourth place finish in the Big Ten and get a mediocre bowl bid and treat it like it's an accomplishment...it's something you settle for.

I realize Ohio State is probably the only program in the Big Ten that can realistically have the loftiest goals every years given their recent success but I don't think you go into every season for Michigan and say 'Gee, I hope we can win a few games this year and it would be swell to go to a bowl game too'. The goal is win the games on your schedule. Michigan (usually) has a team capable of beating every team on their schedule each year but it's only happened once in my 20-25 years of being a fan.

What I hope RichRod brings to this program is the big picture goals and not just the old hat of win the Big Ten and go the Rose Bowl. That's like saying, my goal isn't to be the best team in America...just in the conference. This program for the longest time would rather just win a bunch of Rose Bowls than go out and go for the big prize. Why am I so out there for me to want more? I didn't consider the Carr years a failure with only a 1/2 MNC but they could've achieved more.

and yes, there's a huge fucking difference between 3-9 and 4-8 with a win over osu.
First off...isn't it sick that we're even discussing this scenario in the first place? I'll take a shot at our friends over in East Lansing but this is something they would say in a bad year. They'd take a bad record if it meant one of those wins are against Michigan. Don't get things twisted with me...I fully understand what win over Ohio State on Saturday would do for this team going forward although they don't play on after that.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

i know what the big goals are, and i know you hardly ever reach them, which is why it's an annual thing in here for people to call you a flat out wanker for your bowl stance. michigan shouldn't have won more national championships under carr, either. he might have in 2000 and 2006, but that would've required upsetting much better miami and florida teams to do so. still, it doesn't mean he should have. usc has one national championship to show for all their recent domination, and they'd have zero if the ncaa had a set of balls. michigan doesn't win national championships because they've set their goals too low; they haven't won because they haven't been good enough.

and no, discussing 3-9 or 4-8 doesn't make me sick. it was a frustrating year, no doubt, but i'm still optimistic dickrod's going to get the program going full steam. i'd be sick if he were weis'ing it as well as if we were in year 14 of carr's 9-4 dick off with no hope of change. sometimes you burn the fucker down to build something better in its place. so yes, 4-8 with a win over osu will make this season special.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

M Club wrote:i know what the big goals are, and i know you hardly ever reach them, which is why it's an annual thing in here for people to call you a flat out wanker for your bowl stance.
I've grown to dislike the entire existence of the bowl system...it's not really anything against Michigan. You can hate me for that stance but that's just how I feel...I'm not going to apologize for it. Call me a college football radical that would love to see bowls wiped off the face of the earth in place of a playoff. Bowls are commercialized consolation games. I'm not going to wear a Alamo or Capital One Bowl championship shirt. There's only one true game in January that matters and I dispute the way the game is brought about but it's the game that decides who is #1. Being in these games has some value to the program but I don't get worked up over whether or not they are in a New Year's Day or BCS game or some no-name game in the middle of December. Just as a fan, I'd rather watch the championship game.

michigan doesn't win national championships because they've set their goals too low; they haven't won because they haven't been good enough.
They weren't going to win the national title every year...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Going back to my usual take on the BCS and bowl system...you're in the hunt until you lose or lose twice in some cases. The whole thing about 'the regular season being a playoff' is true in a sense where losing is a big deal if you're goal is to win the glass football. What has driven me nuts for so long was this team putting themselves out of the national title picture in the non-conference portion of the schedule with a loss on the road against a Pac-10 team they're better than or you get that freak ending to a game like the Colorado game but it still puts you out of the mix. Once that is over, then you re-assess your expectations for the season and just shoot for the Big Ten title when the conference season begins. To me, the Michigan season ends after the Ohio State game every year.

and no, discussing 3-9 or 4-8 doesn't make me sick. it was a frustrating year, no doubt, but i'm still optimistic dickrod's going to get the program going full steam. i'd be sick if he were weis'ing it as well as if we were in year 14 of carr's 9-4 dick off with no hope of change. sometimes you burn the fucker down to build something better in its place. so yes, 4-8 with a win over osu will make this season special.
Have you seen me calling for Rodriguez's head on a plate? I've been pretty consistent with my take with him. This year was going to a wasted year for the most part. What I did hope for was improvement as the year went on...meaning, this team in Game 12 is better than in Game 1. I think offensively they've made some strides but with Shafer's defense, they've had one great game but a lot of bad games around it. McGee and Rodriguez's offense will work with this team but I'm with Steve...Shafer just isn't going to cut it here.

Beating Ohio State this year would be a highlight and strong ending to a bad season and it would be something to jump off from for next year. In the context of this year, it doesn't make it any better though. You brought up Weis...you think Notre Dame would be any happier with some of their bad years if he sprinkled in a win over USC? I'd be aggrevated with a win over Ohio State from the standpoint of why the hell didn't they win more games this year if they could get up for the Buckeyes? If they lose Saturday and finish 3-9, you can at least chalk it up to this just not being a good team and you have to move on and start over next year. I'm not handing the game to the Buckeyes but I'm fully prepared for another loss because it's just how this season has gone for this team.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Enough about my ranting about the bowl system...how about stuff about the actual game?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3708088

Definitely bad news that Threet isn't going to be able to go and too bad about McGuffie although he's been a non-factor in the last couple games due to injury anyways. I'd be happy to see Minor back in the lineup for the game for sure...he gives them a puncher's chance if he's able to go.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

the bowls: you're just going to have to agree that everyone's right and you're wrong.

i never said you were calling for dickrod's head. i said this season doesn't make me sick. it happens, for the first time in my life, in fact, and i'll get over it considering it's evident that the team has improved tremendously as the season's gone on. it's a bit tiring to listen to dickrod talk about all the improvement that's just not translating into wins, but i think he has a point considering it seems like he can plug in any rb and he'll go for 100+, or that the line has finally learned to block, sometimes. the team's only played one game where they were absolutely dominated. nearly all the games have been winnable and might have been save inopportune fumbles, drops, and missed tackles, which michigan obviously isn't good enough to overcome.

re: THE game, you're out of your fucking mind to be aggravated if they beat osu. losing hasn't been an issue of getting up for an opponent. they're young, have a freshman qb, and run a system written in greek. it's not so much an issue of getting up for a game as it is finally putting an entire one together. and i'm not starting the 10-1 or 1-10 with a win over your rival debate, but we haven't beaten those wankers since i actually attended umich. it would make this year that much better.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

If RichRod is allowed a few years at Mich, I have a feeling it will be tOSU fans who will be fighting among themselves. 'sayin.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

RadioFan wrote:If RichRod is allowed a few years at Mich, I have a feeling it will be tOSU fans who will be fighting among themselves. 'sayin.
I don't know. They won't have a decided schematic advantage like we do.

Sin,

Pear Bryant
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

sorry 88 i even put out the word from friends that i know that might have tickets. and got no response back.. ill keep trying. i would love to make it down, but my daughter has a recital that morning and we wont be in Columbus till after the game.

go bucks!
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

This Saturday is the same Saturday every year that marks the start of the deer gun season in Wisconsin. I always take a pocket-size TV to watch Michigan-tOSU. This year I might have to save the batteries for the 2:30 game between PSU and MSU. That would be a first.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:Dick Rod said he was treating this like any other game (paraphrasing)...
Didn't Cooper say the same thing about Michigan and ended up going like 1-13 against them?
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

^^^^^^^^^

yes and it was 2-10-1...so we know how that ended...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Shoalzie wrote:Michigan (usually) has a team capable of beating every team on their schedule each year but it's only happened once in my 20-25 years of being a fan.
Huh? Do you just not know when you started to be a fan or what?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

IndyFrisco wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:Michigan (usually) has a team capable of beating every team on their schedule each year but it's only happened once in my 20-25 years of being a fan.
Huh? Do you just not know when you started to be a fan or what?

It's probably more like 22 years...I couldn't remember exactly when. I'm 27...my guess of my first recollection of Michigan football was when I was in kindergarten or 1st grade. 25 years would've been a bit of a stretch...a fan at 2 years old, really? When one says they've been a fan their whole life or been a fan since birth...that's a crock. You can probably tangibly consider yourself a fan starting at the age of 5 or 6.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Shoalzie wrote:When one says they've been a fan their whole life or been a fan since birth...that's a crock.
Bullshit. I've been an Aggie fan since my dad sprayed Gig'em all over my mom's eggs with me and my now dead brothers and sisters.

:P
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

IndyFrisco wrote:
buckeye_in_sc wrote:Dick Rod said he was treating this like any other game (paraphrasing)...
Didn't Cooper say the same thing about Michigan and ended up going like 1-13 against them?
that comment's exclusive to this year, that it should end up like every other loss.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

M Club wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:
that comment's exclusive to this year, that it should end up like every other loss.
I know you are just joking, but I saw the HBO piece this weekend on the OSU/Michigan rivalry. Really enjoyed it by the way. Anyhow, I thought I remembered Cooper coming in and saying that OSU/Michigan was "just another game" and then went like 1-13 against them.

Would love to see an HBO piece on the A&M/t.u. rivalry. Guess I'll start googling to see if there is one or if one is in the works.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, found this. This is what I saw this weekend.

http://www.hbo.com/events/rivalry/

Hopefully this is the first of many. It was really good.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

Little Rhett was in his 5th grade class when the teacher asked the children what their

fathers did for a living. All the typical answers came up---fireman, policeman, salesman, etc.

Rhett was being uncharacteristically quiet and so the teacher asked him about his

father. 'My father's an exotic dancer in a gay cabaret and takes off all his clothes in

front of other men. Sometimes, if the offer's really good, he'll go out to the alley

with some guy and make love with him for money.

The teacher, obviously shaken by this statement, hurriedly sent the other

children to work on some coloring, and took little Rhett aside to ask him,

'Is that really true about your father?'

'No,' said little Rhett, 'He coaches Michigan football, but I was too

embarrassed to say that in front of the other kids.'

Go Bucks!
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

what's next, a pizza delivery joke?
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

IndyFrisco wrote:I know you are just joking, but I saw the HBO piece this weekend on the OSU/Michigan rivalry. Really enjoyed it by the way. Anyhow, I thought I remembered Cooper coming in and saying that OSU/Michigan was "just another game" and then went like 1-13 against them.
you say what you have to publically. i'm sure the osu family ate it up when cooper rolled in with a "michigan who?" attitude, but since things obviously got out of hand, tressel introduced himself as obsessed with michigan. funny thing is they're both the opposite of their public stances. tressel perfectly embodies the fact that michigan is just like any other team. i can't fathom him actually taking this game seriously anymore.
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

When Michigan loses to OSU, that will be their 9th loss. If they lose in their bowl game--that's a 10 LOSS SEASON!

Oh wait, this isn't Notre Dame we're talking about.
poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

88 wrote:
M Club wrote:You are kidding, right? Tressel games for Michigan 24/7/365, this year included. He knows that The Game is his claim to fame and continued good fortune. The alumni can take an ass-beating by Florida, LSU and USC so long as he drives pitch forks in the team that beat Ohio State 10 times in 13 years during Cooper's tenure as coach. Don't be fooled. He would like nothing more than to see his team hang a big, embarrasing, recruiting-crippling loss on UM on Saturday.
i'm obviously kidding about him not taking the game seriously, but my perspective of tressel is that he embodies dickrod's stated position that the next game is the most important. they're too incredibly focused to be obsessed exclusively with michigan. at least that's how i see it.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

:hfal:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Some OSU-Michigan chatter on the radio waves...

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 004/SPORTS
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 004/SPORTS

Buckeye nation is well within their right poke fun at the Wolverines...I have no beef with anything Spielman or Herbstreit said.

Another angle to this is the Michigan State-Penn State angle...the winner of that game is a position to win the conference. I can't believe a SpartanFan wouldn't want to see Michigan win on Saturday and give them the chance at an outright conference title and a bid to the Rose Bowl. I think it's stupid to put the rivalry before their own goals and not want to win the Big Ten title. Granted, they took control out of their hands by losing to the Buckeyes in East Lansing but the opportunity is there for them to go to Pasadena with a Wolverine win and win over Penn State. You don't get chances like this every year...they shouldn't take this for granted and act like this is the way its going to be from now on. Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois had down years and State overachieved to get the #3 spot in the conference. You can't expect the those same three teams to be bad next year or the following years. Plus, there's always a team like Iowa or Northwestern lurking to have a solid year. When you have the opportunity...you have to take it.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Well, Shoalz, I for one want UM to beat Ohio St...but I don't want them to look good doing it.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Well, Shoalz, I for one want UM to beat Ohio St...but I don't want them to look good doing it.

Fair statement...

With OSU-Michigan at noon at your game at 3:30...you'll know what's at stake when your game starts. A 10-win season for the State would be a great accomplishment in Dantonio's second season.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

i love this:

hey, mark dantonio, if you beat penn state you're big ten champs, kind of. if osu wins you're co-champs and have to go to some bowl game not called the rose. if michigan wins you're outright champions and go to pasadena. who are you rooting for?
mark dantionio wrote:I'm not rooting for Michigan.
eh?
mark dantionio wrote:I'm going to focus on our task at hand here and worry about the things we can control. I have too many good friends and too many people that wouldn't let me back into their house to let me do that.
you're retarded, then?
mark dantonio wrote:Go Bucks!
how is mark dantonio supposed to make state relative if he's more interested in ohio state or michigan than he is his own program? sheat, i'm rooting balls out for state if michigan wins tomorrow. i'm pulling for penn state if we lose just so osu doesn't get the rose bowl.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

Dantonio is the man! I only wish he was still wearing Scarlet and Grey..
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

peter dragon wrote:Dantonio is the man! I only wish he was still wearing Scarlet and Grey..

That makes two of us...
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

Seriously, since we started losing coaches our defense has gone to shit and so has our big game capability. I don't know if it will just take time or we need to make a change but this trend has to stop.
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

M Club wrote:hey, mark dantonio, if you beat penn state you're big ten champs, kind of. if osu wins you're co-champs and have to go to some bowl game not called the rose. if michigan wins you're outright champions and go to pasadena. who are you rooting for?
Personally, I thought it was well played. I'll bet deep down he's interested in a UM win. Coming out and saying it to a fanbase that wants you to hate UM 24/7/365 is another thing entirely. So far he's done a good job of upholding that stance, and probably doesn't want to back down now even if makes sense "logically" to pull for UM.