It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Time to lower the drinking age?

Post by Diogenes »

http://www.reason.com/news/show/128493.html

Good article.

Maybe we could raise the voting age back to 21 instead.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Re: Time to lower the drinking age?

Post by Cuda »

the way it used to be in my state was at 18 you could learn how to drink with 3.2 beer and at 21 you could drink anything else.

3.2 beer used to be classified non-alcoholic- which it really wasn't, but it also tended to be significantly less than 3.2% alcohol content. you could get slightly buzzed,but you started puking before you'd get seriously drunk on it.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

As someone who lost their Father to drunk driving I will try to keep my emotions out of this discussion.

I see this as a state's issue. Each state should be allowed to set what their voters think is an appropriate drinking age. The article points out that binge drinking would go down if more college frosh and sophs could legally drink. I think that is crap! The amount one chooses to drink has little to do with it being legal or not and damn near everything to do with peer pressure. College parties set the stage for over consumption what with their funnels, beer pong tables, and other drinking type games. Anyone who honestly thinks these things would go away if 18 year old students could drink legally is smoking or inhaling something illegal.

There are plenty of 41 year old bastards that get behind the wheel and kill people so I doubt that lowering it would lead to more fatalities.

BOTTOM LINE, JUST DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Last week it was made known that a Carnegie Mellon University prof had been charged with 3 DUIs in an 8 day span:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08243/908268-298.stm

It used to be that a DUI charge necessitated a 36 hour jail stint in PA. Apparently the jails have been overcrowded, so they've instituted catch-and-release.

It does appear that fatalities decreased when drinking ages moved up to 21.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

PSUFAN wrote:Last week it was made known that a Carnegie Mellon University prof had been charged with 3 DUIs in an 8 day span:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08243/908268-298.stm

It used to be that a DUI charge necessitated a 36 hour jail stint in PA. Apparently the jails have been overcrowded, so they've instituted catch-and-release.

It does appear that fatalities decreased when drinking ages moved up to 21.
That decrease also coincided with the last of the baby boom generation coming of age. The number of potential underage drinkers dipped dramatically during the late 80s. Also, the mid 80s marked a change in societal mores regarding drinking and driving anyway. Given the vast amount of underage drinking I saw and participated in circa 1985-1990, I can say without hesitation that the 21 drinking age did absolutely nothing to slow down college age drinking in my neck of the woods. If anything, we partied harder and more recklessly.

But hey, what the fuck do i care? I've been legal for the last 21 years.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Left Seater wrote:The article points out that binge drinking would go down if more college frosh and sophs could legally drink. I think that is crap! The amount one chooses to drink has little to do with it being legal or not and damn near everything to do with peer pressure. College parties set the stage for over consumption what with their funnels, beer pong tables, and other drinking type games. Anyone who honestly thinks these things would go away if 18 year old students could drink legally is smoking or inhaling something illegal.
They wouldn't go away, but they wouldn't be the sole outlet for young adults either.

And the stastical corelation between drinking age laws and lower fatalities doesn't demonstrate causation, and is covered in the article and the study cited within.

ImageImage
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I am for limited access at 18.

Do not let 18 year olds buy at liquor stores or at bars that usually require a vehicle to get to. There should be school sactioned parties on campus which could be monitored for those who might decide to climb in a car after gettng fukked up.

When I joined the navy, young sailors had the option of going to the base club, getting hammered and then staggering back to their room. I did this many, many times. Today they are told that they can't drink and aren't exactly given alot of other options. So lots of young sailors end up going to parties off base and get drunk or stoned.

Seems like most of these kids that end up going to captain's mast (that's basically like court where the CO is judge jury and executioner)are there for either underage drinking or buying for their underage buddies. Or they are charged with drug use and processed out of the military.

So much of this could be avoided but our PC faggit assed military leaders rather continue spewing the new message of not falling into the drunken sailor stereotype.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

i say lower it as long as you are an active military member
Mr. Schwump
Jake

Post by Mr. Schwump »

That would no doubt create a huge market for fake military ID's. Leave it up to the states as it should be and live with it.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

peter dragon wrote:i say lower it as long as you are an active military member
Alcoholism.

Yeah, that's exactly what a modern, rapid reaction force needs.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Mr. Schwump wrote:That would no doubt create a huge market for fake military ID's. Leave it up to the states as it should be and live with it.
Yeah, I'm sure there wasn't a market for fake out-of-state id's when it was up to the states in the past.

Have another beast lite.....you're posts couldn't become any more stupid. :meds:
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

It's actually never really left the purvue of the State. It's just the Federal Government witholds money from states that don't comply with it's recommendation.

Money, is a big influence in decisions.

Sincerely,
Marcus Allen
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

Martyred wrote:
Alcoholism.

you've obviously never served. there for you are less of a citizen than those that have. your opinions dont matter

:hfal:

as for the fake military ID's. have you seen a recent ID from a military member.. its changed quite a bit. there are chips and all kinds of weird stuff embedded in the card.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

peter dragon wrote:
Martyred wrote:
Alcoholism.

you've obviously never served. there for you are less of a citizen than those that have. your opinions dont matter

as for the fake military ID's. have you seen a recent ID from a military member.. its changed quite a bit. there are chips and all kinds of weird stuff embedded in the card.
I'm sure those chips & weird stuff will really help those servers who can only visually check the id. :meds:
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

When we're talking about fatalities - less is better. "Causation" and that sort of terminology seems to be less important if there are less people dying.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Diego in Seattle wrote:I'm sure those chips & weird stuff will really help those servers who can only visually check the id. :meds:
Have you been to a bar recently? Here in NY they have card readers that they swipe licenses through. Maybe they don't have those at the Chuck E Cheese that you frequent, but at bars that serve adults, they're becoming commonplace.
Last edited by BSmack on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

PSUFAN wrote:When we're talking about fatalities - less is better. "Causation" and that sort of terminology seems to be less important if there are less people dying.
That weird terminology means that banning alcohol has nothing to do with lower fatalities.

ImageImage
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

When was "banning alcohol" being discussed?
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

PSUFAN wrote:When was "banning alcohol" being discussed?
When dio's doctor realized that he had killed at least half his brain cells by the age of 22.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

PSUFAN wrote:When was "banning alcohol" being discussed?
It's already banned if you are a politicaly incorrect age.

ImageImage
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

peter dragon wrote:
Martyred wrote:
Alcoholism.

What about military attitudes whilst hiding behind a computer? They're incredibly easy to fake.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

Nishlord wrote:
peter dragon wrote: you've obviously never served. there for you are less of a citizen than those that have. your opinions dont matter

What about military attitudes whilst hiding behind a computer? They're incredibly easy to fake.
ha..
Imus
Elwood

Post by Imus »

Diogenes wrote:http://www.reason.com/news/show/128493.html

Good article.

I would guess both your mother and father were heavy and early drinkers. Especially during the time you were just a little fetus.
wolfman wrote:I also remember seeing all the old people dying in the streets because they did not have medicare. Good times.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

The inspiration for this thread wouldn't have anything to do with Palin's slut daughter getting photographed throwing back a few cocktails, would it?
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Imus wrote:
Diogenes wrote:http://www.reason.com/news/show/128493.html

Good article.

I would guess both your mother and father were heavy and early drinkers. Especially during the time you were just a little fetus.
You'd be guessing wrong, nappy-headed ho.

ImageImage
Imus
Elwood

Post by Imus »

There are no sensible arguments to made in favor of an 21 year old drinking age.
How about, Kids are stupid until they get to age 25 or so and we need to protect ourselves from them and they need to be protected from them selves and it's up to us to do it or not or not bitch.
wolfman wrote:I also remember seeing all the old people dying in the streets because they did not have medicare. Good times.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Imus wrote:
There are no sensible arguments to made in favor of an 21 year old drinking age.
How about, Kids are stupid until they get to age 25 or so
Much longer if they're still Democrats.

Besides, I'm all for raising the voting age.

ImageImage
Imus
Elwood

Post by Imus »

Well ok. But your avatar still sucks ass like a 4th grader.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Imus wrote:Well ok. But your avatar still sucks ass like a 4th grader.
So does this shit troll.

ImageImage