So how many of you now "root" for RICE

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

So how many of you now "root" for RICE

Post by Left Seater »

Now that many of us have been lurking around various "homes" for 8+ years we have gotten to know others pretty damn well.

Sometimes that works against us (su'up Mtool) and we root against a school. Other times it works in our favor (su'up Shine). So what teams do you root for because of posters here and what teams do you root against because of posters here? Football only since this is the football room.

Root Against
U$C - Was not on my radar until SoCal went nuts
Cal - Need I say more?

Historical Root Against
Nebish - Shaz could spin amazing tales as to why they were still dominat with stats that were crazy. Wanted them to lose so he would go off.

Root For
Indiana - Had drinks with Shine multiple times and saw our programs similiar in fighting the uphill battle.
OSU - Never been a big fan of the Big11 but found myself rooting for OSU due in large part to the quality posters they bring to this board.

Historical Root For
Nebish - Brad's Power College Football Rants
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Re: So how many of you now "root" for RICE

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Root for USC
Root against everyone else
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i can't possibly root for Rice, having gone to Vandy. that'd be like pulling for someone else's 3 legged dog in the big 3 legged dog race. Plus, war the MeatGrinder. :lol:

i don't know if my rooting habits are any different, but i definitely pay attention to scores with the board dynamics in mind. i'd have to think a little to get any more specific.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

did you go to OU also because it would be odd to have gone to one school yet cheer for another
.m2
I swear to god . . .

Post by .m2 »

I feel bad for lefty that he lets board posters influence his rooting interests. I've never really let what a poster says influence how I may feel about a team. Even though I think leftseater is a bit of a redneck which is odd, since I've never met someone thats gone to Rice that was a redneck. I've rooted for Rice long before I ever posted on this board due to having a girlfriend who went to Rice. Since I lived in Houston I would go to a lot of their home games in west university. The stadium has a pretty nice view of downtown Houston.

Anyways, I root against tUSC and Stanfurd. I root against most Pac 10 teams unless it's a OCC game. I basically just enjoy watching College Football and deliberate on who I'm going to root for or against on the day of the game. I don't have a lasting hatred for any team due to the posters on this board, since I've been a fan of College Football for a much longer time than I've been posting on this board.

I'll be going to the Stanfurd and Oregon State game on Thursday to start the season off. I'll be rooting for Oregon State to crush the furd, but Oregon State usually starts the first 3 or 4 games of the season off slow and can lose to just about anybody.
poptart wrote:Oakland is a shithole.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Root for:

Rice - partially because of Lefty and partially because I have them in my NCAA 09 online dynasty (see other thread)

USC - Despite SoCal's occasional forays off the deep end, the blind hatred they inspire in otherwise level-headed posters is pretty comical.

Indiana - for Shine

Cincy - where did bearcat92 go? He was back and now he's AWOL again.

South Florida - I think Mucho has been here since they started playing D1A football, so it's nice to see them actually succeed

Root against:

Cal - see above

MSU - Mgo and Screw Mich are great guys, but Babs kinda ruined it for me

Mizzou - Adel and WW bring some solid takes, but they tend to forget that their team still hasn't won an asterisk-free conference title since the Truman administration
"Keys, woman!"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

SoCalTrjn wrote:did you go to OU also because it would be odd to have gone to one school yet cheer for another
not really. was born and raised in Norman. my mom and dad and g-mothers are OU grads.

edit: my uncle played for OU in the late 60's/early 70's. It's an OU family. Sooner born, Sooner bred.
Last edited by King Crimson on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

root for rice?

give me a solid reason? if not, i'll pass
Last edited by Adelpiero on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:

Mizzou - Adel and WW bring some solid takes, but they tend to forget that their team still hasn't won an asterisk-free conference title since the Truman administration
first things first
WW brings some solid takes
Link, for this? It's been 3+ years, and i haven't read one from him in this forum

next
tend to forget that their team still hasn't won an asterisk-free conference title since the Truman administration
I mean we could have our program under investigation yearly, bring in thugs, give kids parents jobs, while ducking probation every decade or so.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I'm quite fond of you also, addled... when you're not drunk.

Props to you for actually learning how to type.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

King Crimson wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:did you go to OU also because it would be odd to have gone to one school yet cheer for another
not really. was born and raised in Norman. my mom and dad and g-mothers are OU grads.

edit: my uncle played for OU in the late 60's/early 70's. It's an OU family. Sooner born, Sooner bred.
I see. My aunts went to Stanford and one of my uncles went to Brown, the wife went to USC her Dad did but her mom went to one of those liberal schools in Claremont. Other than a cousin that went to Pepperdine this has been pretty much a born and bred USC family, though none of us live in LA now
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Adelpiero wrote: I mean we could have our program under investigation yearly, bring in thugs, give kids parents jobs, while ducking probation every decade or so.
yeah, I'm sure Mizzou's lack of success over the past half-century has everything to do with their dedication to running a spotless program.

When it comes to football, :bode: is still :bode:, my friend. Now if you wanna talk journalism schools, that's a horse of a different color.
"Keys, woman!"
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

.m2 wrote:I feel bad for lefty that he lets board posters influence his rooting interests. I've never really let what a poster says influence how I may feel about a team.
Really? You don't ever want to see a team do well to see the flame wars that sometime follow? Or you don't want to see Iowa wet the bed just to see how Jon will spin how the 22 AAs and future first round picks could have lost?

I don't believe it.

.m2 wrote:Even though I think leftseater is a bit of a redneck which is odd, since I've never met someone thats gone to Rice that was a redneck.
Something happened on the way to making this point. What was your point as this is a fragment?

Also, smack aside what is it you consider to be a redneck? I think what a NoCal considers to be a redneck is likely very different from what someone here considers a redneck.

.m2 wrote:I've rooted for Rice long before I ever posted on this board due to having a girlfriend who went to Rice. Since I lived in Houston I would go to a lot of their home games in west university. The stadium has a pretty nice view of downtown Houston.
Yes it does, and also a good view of the Med Center. However, neither one of those is much of a thing of beauty. Now if the view were of Central Texas and or the Hill Country, then that would be sweet. Got to like it on days when the wind is out of the South East and the steady stream of WN jets on approach to Hobby parade over the stadium.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

the redneck thing is pretty simple, if you can stand cuntry music, youre a redneck.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Adelpiero wrote: I mean we could have our program under investigation yearly, bring in thugs, give kids parents jobs, while ducking probation every decade or so.
yeah, I'm sure Mizzou's lack of success over the past half-century has everything to do with their dedication to running a spotless program.

When it comes to football, :bode: is still :bode:, my friend. Now if you wanna talk journalism schools, that's a horse of a different color.

38-31-1 since head to head is Bode and that would be MU 38

ps quick question about NCAA 2009, does Hawkins throw 3+ int's each game, and does CU finish in bottom3 yearly, i'm looking for a realistic game.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I find myself looking online or newspaper box scores for most of the posters teams here...we get all the ACC coverage you can stomach and deece Meatgrinder coverage...

I am the only 1 in my family to have gone to OSU but most of them are Buckeye Fans...

Oh come on Sam...Saban coached at OSU...got to be worth something...
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Adelpiero wrote:

38-31-1 since head to head is Bode and that would be MU 38

ps quick question about NCAA 2009, does Hawkins throw 3+ int's each game, and does CU finish in bottom3 yearly, i'm looking for a realistic game.
Hey, if you wanna hang your hat on a 7-game edge in the overall series, who am I to begrudge you? Don't let it bother you that it's 18-5 in CU's favor over the past 23 years. That 15-1-2 stretch that Mizzou had from 1938-58 was pretty impressive in its own right. Right?

Me, I'm just happy with our MNC, five conference titles since MU last won one, supposed thug players, baseless accusations, fruitless NCAA investigations, et al.
"Keys, woman!"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Sudden Sam wrote:
Note to MIke: Unless there's a rule in concrete about sig bets' duration, you can drop that Bama-Buffs sig from the shitty bowl game.
I'm too lazy to look up the original terms of the bet, but I wanna say it was for the entire off-season. I think I can tough it out until Thursday. :D
"Keys, woman!"
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

to mike
i'm waiting for your answer, thinking about buying the game, and was hoping it was more realistic game this time around.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Adelpiero wrote:to mike
i'm waiting for your answer, thinking about buying the game, and was hoping it was more realistic game this time around.
Depends on how you define "realistic." I mean, it's a video game, so there will always be AI flaws you can exploit if you're so inclined. The level of realism depends a lot on you and whoever you're playing. The deep ball is toned down from the PS2 version, but the short passing game is a little too easy. A play with 3 or 4 hitch routes is money against damn near everything. The pass rush is pretty anemic, especially from your D-line. You need to bring LBs and/or DBs from the outside if you want to generate any heat. Zone defenders can be pretty fucking stupid and make you want to pull your hair out. Like I said in the other thread, the removal of the whole "momentum" algorithm seems to have cut down on a lot of the random bullshit that seemed to always befall you in the worst possible scenarios.

Overall, I like the game a lot. It's certainly got its flaws, but at least the "money plays" are 4-yard hitch routes rather than 20-yard post patterns.
"Keys, woman!"
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

my rooting interests haven't shifted, though i, like most people here, have come to understand my team's [lack of] success solely in relation to a very specific three years of iowa football.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Though I hate any team that isnt the University of Southern California there are a few teams I hate more than most and would cheer for the North Koreans before cheering for them
Notre Dame
LSU
Florida
Texas
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

So ND I understand as one of your rivals, but the last three BCS national champions?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I root for Michigan way more than I root against other teams. The majority of the people here are good fans of their team and I'll be happy to give them a pat on the back when their team wins a big game. I won't root actively for certain teams to lose but some of those here will cause me to grin if they do lose when I think that loss brings a little a displeasure to those I deem less than likeable. With me that list is very short.

I'll say this about the fans of Michigan's rival teams...I don't get the same immature joy out of beating those teams as I used to when I realize there are some good guys that for those teams. There are some very good Buckeye, Spartan and IrishFans here and while I would celebrate a win over them, I'd be just as glad to congratulate them if their side wins. In the case of tOSU, I've had to give plenty of props to them more than I'd like to but it's not like those guys don't deserve it.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Left Seater wrote:So ND I understand as one of your rivals, but the last three BCS national champions?
Hated them before that, just happened that they were the last 3 bcs champs, didnt even notice i listed them in order though, funny.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

wrong shit head, I hate LSU because their fans are pure scum, throwing bags if urine on rival fans and behaving the way you expect south american soccer fans to behave. Florida fans I hate because theyre the redneck sister fuckers of the swamp. Texas my hatred goes back to my freshman year at USC when after going to see USC play in the Sun Bowl we went to the Cotton Bowl and watched Miami kick the shit out of the Whorens, their fans cried and complained like bitches from the start of the game and it kept up til we flew home the next day.
You Auburn fans talked much shit in 03 but after the Tigers got kick fucked like the over rated piles of shit they were, the fans disappeared and didnt show up again until the next season when they put teams like Citadel on their schedule and started crying about being contenders
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

my rooting interests haven't shifted, though i, like most people here, have come to understand my team's [lack of] success solely in relation to a very specific three years of iowa football.
LET'S GO UTAH....CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!

Personally, I don't cheer for or against any team because of anyone on here. I root for Iowa exclusively and whoever is playing Notre Dame. Nothing will ever change that. Occasionally I will find myself rooting for whoever plays ISU. But there are times I find myself actually rooting for ISU. Just depends on who they're playing and whether or not some ISU fan called me up that week and started talking shit about the Hawks.

Once in a while I'll pick a coach I despise and root against them. Used to root for Florida but a lot of that had to do with deceased relatives being Gator fans and Steve Spurrier being one of my favorite coaches of all-time. Didn't care for Zook and don't care much for Urban Meyer and so Gator football's not as big of a deal to me anymore.

My teams are (in specific order) 1.Iowa, 2.Whoever plays Notre Dame 3.Whoever plays ISU (about half the time) and 4.Whoever I need to cover the spread in my Pick 6 league. Other than that, it's mostly just watching for pure entertainment without much rooting interest. I do like to watch upsets though, so if I don't care for either team I'll usually root for the underdog (assuming I don't need the other team to cover).
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

I root for ND. Outside of that, I root for outcomes which can help ND.

Along those lines, I generally root for ND's opponents when they're not playing ND. Mostly, it has to do with SOS. Because ND doesn't play in a conference, most of their opponents' games are not zero-sum games when it comes to affecting ND's SOS. In ND's case, opponents' strength is more important than opponents' opponents' strength, since if my math is correct, 68 out of 120 FBS teams, including all of the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-10, and MWC except for San Diego State (which is a ND opponent) would be ND's opponents' opponents this season.

Late in the season, in particular, I will root for teams ranked ahead of ND to lose, if it will work to ND's benefit (exception to rooting for opponents as noted above). For example, in '05 I rooted for Georgia vs. LSU in the Meatgrinder Championship Game and Florida State vs. Virginia Tech in the ACC Championship Game.

If the outcome of a particular game doesn't really have any impact on ND either way, I tend to root for the underdog.

I should also note that as a kid, Penn State was my #2 team. Penn State was essentially eastern college football when I was a kid. Syracuse was lousy, BC was worse, and Pitt didn't emerge on the national scene with Dorsett until I was in junior high. But it was always ND #1 and Penn State #2, never any confusion in my mind on that point. If I had to choose a #2 team now, it probably would still be Penn State just for nostalgia purposes. But the gap between #1 and #2 is a lot wider now than it was when I was a kid.
Last edited by Terry in Crapchester on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Wait Toejam calling out other fans for whining...wait a minute who comes in here every Sunday even in victory with some shit post with youtube clips or pics of bad calls by refs...again someone mentioned don't throw stones from your glass house...

I went to the MNC game...I had not one problem with about 99% of the LSU fans I came in contact with...in fact stayed in Biloxi and the Beau rivage was about 50/50 OSU/LSU fans...all of them were class...even the 10 LSU fans who sat with around us at the game were very good fans, knowledgeable, and gracious in victory...in fact a young fan about 10-12 was talking all kinds of trash with about 1 minute left...1 of the guys sitting by us...shouted over to him...hey little guy win and lose with class...it might come back to bite you...thought that was cool...now don't get me wrong afterward the young 21-25 year old drunk asses were talking boatloads of shit...but hey you expect that...

by the way coming out of the game...I happened to be walking right behind James Laurenitis's dad...the Animal...talked to him for a few seconds...great guy...still a HUGE dude...no one talked shit to him... :D
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Papa Willie wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:wrong shit head, I hate LSU because their fans are pure scum, throwing bags if urine on rival fans and behaving the way you expect south american soccer fans to behave. Florida fans I hate because theyre the redneck sister fuckers of the swamp. Texas my hatred goes back to my freshman year at USC when after going to see USC play in the Sun Bowl we went to the Cotton Bowl and watched Miami kick the shit out of the Whorens, their fans cried and complained like bitches from the start of the game and it kept up til we flew home the next day.
You Auburn fans talked much shit in 03 but after the Tigers got kick fucked like the over rated piles of shit they were, the fans disappeared and didnt show up again until the next season when they put teams like Citadel on their schedule and started crying about being contenders

FIVE years later, you think you'd won the world, fag. Auburn is 2-2 vs. SUC, so you might want to finally shut the fuck up, ass-fucker.

Your conference is a joke. They were basically joking about USC being in the Pac 10 on game day yesterday. I guess the rest of the teams will be down some this season.

Your whole state consists of pussies, so why shouldn't the school be the same way? Petey pays those boys well.

Basically - you saw hard core fans and were amazed at why your beloved Comdoms don't have the same type of support. It's simple - college football here is big, while surfing and men fucking men is big where you live.

SYHTFOTW.

you repressing something willie? I think it has been pretty well doccumented that homosexuality is just as rampant in the south as it is in Frisco and the percentage of people with aids is much higher in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana... than in California
Get back to us when Auburn wins a road OOC game

As for the Texas fans whining, they cried about the behavior of the Miami players, Miami was flagged more times than Texas had yards but the Texas fans were crying about having their faces rubbed during the loss.

A blown call is a blown call, win or loss
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Root for: Houston, Rice, Texas, Oregon (because all of my stepdad's family are former Ducks and are season ticket holders), and Penn St. (my cousin went to PSU for a year)

Root against: OU, Ohio St., and Florida
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

i think we've lost the point of this thread.

i hate rice because lefty's an absolute effing douche.

there, back on topic.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Papa Willie wrote:Dec. 31, 2007.
Incorrect.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Theyre going on 11 years now.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Papa Willie wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:you repressing something willie? I think it has been pretty well doccumented that homosexuality is just as rampant in the south as it is in Frisco and the percentage of people with aids is much higher in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana... than in California
Link? You'll have to talk to the blacks about the AIDS. Fags don't get married in the South. Tell me you knew.
so on top of being a repressed homosexual you're also a racist? sounds typical Southerner to me, dont you have some war you fucks lost to go re-enact? dont kick your wife, dogs and kids when you get home from losing it again, its not their fault the south sucks and you're a closet homo
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:South Florida - I think Mucho has been here since they started playing D1A football, so it's nice to see them actually succeed
I think I came aboard right before we went 1 A in 2001. I remember that JTR used to post in the forum and we had some good 1 AA chat.

The board is at its best when the rivalry games are ready to be played.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

I havent blamed the blacks for the ills of my area but youre welcome to go look for an example.

I have two sons and live in a gated community here in Coto, the only Mexicans around here are cleaning the houses and mowing the lawns
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

I honestly don't actively root for any team other than ND. I pull for State because I went there, but I don't go out of my way to watch any of their games. I used to root like hell for UofM to lose as a kid, but as I got older, I started to take one of Lou Holtz's sayings to heart. "Burning down your neighbor's house doesn't make yours look any better."

There are coaches I dislike, so I smile when they lose. But usually I try to find a player and follow their progress more than the team's. I do pull for most of the teams of posters on here whom I consider to be good guys and know their shit. South Florida will always be a team I pull for because I created that school on NCAA '01 before I knew they existed. They weren't the bulls, but I always keep an eye on how they are doing.

I echo Terry's comments. I root for most of the teams on ND's schedule because it can only help ND. Other than that, I care about 12 games a year.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i pull for OU, but i don't really pull against teams. I'm a pull for the underdog in a game i'm watching kind of guy. everybody loves the upset. i take some pleasure seeing Texas lose but i want them to be strong before and after an OU win in Dallas. I also really enjoyed watching Bill Callahan lose because as a former member of the "respect for Nebraska football" club throughout most of my life, that guy had to fall. and it has nothing to do with fucking hillbillies or the "throat-slash" which i think was what Cally claimed: "i've had it up to here".

if i had to say i had a "second favorite" team....Vandy, but i couldn't name a single player on the team. it wasn't really a big deal going to school there, no one really cared--and i was already an OU guy. too much other stuff to do with school, smoking drugs, and the music scene. hoops, kinda got some play. i went to a Vandy game against Tulane and it was like a high school game in OK--though, with a lot of drunken prep school kids from the Northeast in the mix. i went to some hoops games which were a lot more fun. I like Vandy hoops. i think it's changed a lot since i graduated. sports are bigger on campus.

I follow Colorado but that's because i've lived in Boulder for 15 years and followed the Big 8 since i was 5. but, i don't really pull for CU even though the school signs my checks, and i've had football players in classes, and i live 150 yards from the practice field. i had season tix for 5 years as a grad student. if they win, OK. my buddies are happy and buying. if they lose, it's entertaining sports media. much like the Broncos.

like i say before, i definitely follow the post-games scoreboard with an eye to the posters here.

to the orig question, i can pull for Rice to get the W. and i love those new "R" helmets.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I take joy when a SEC team loses, except Vandy I guess, because there's really nothing to hate about Vandy. They're boys amongst men in the SEC.

I'd say Trixie flared things up a notch, but he's gone now, and the rest of the SEC folks on here seem to be pretty solid. I spent 11 years down in the state of Florida and the Gator fans were just completely insufferable -- much worse than FSU and Miami fans. I found that on the whole the SEC fans were not only the most obnoxious, but least knowledgeable...a real annoying combination.

The only other team I'd say I "root" for is FSU. Growing up in Florida as a kid I latched onto those dominant FSU teams and became a fan. I still follow the team somewhat loosely today, but not a huge fan by any stretch.

There are other teams I keep an eye on due to the board factor, but "rooting" would probably be a mischaracterization.