Your Airline of Choice

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Your Airline of Choice

Post by Left Seater »

What with all the airlines folding in the past few weeks and others adding crazy fees, what is your airline of choice?

I always choose Southwest for both business and personal travel if they are going where I need to go. Biggest factor for me is on time arrivals and getting there with my "Brain Bag." Second factor is frequency of flights. If they fly a route they often do it with 6 + flights per day. Some of the others may only have a morning and evening departure. Third is they don't stick you on the RJs where your carry on bag is no longer a carry on bag and then they want to check it to your final destination. Southwest does much better than any of the others in my experience and yours too according to the statistics.

If Southwest doesn't go where I need then I tend to fly on one of the Oneworld Airlines. AA domestic, British Airways to Europe, and most recently Cathay Pacific to Asia.

Damn other airlines including AA now charge for any checked bags, USAirways now even charges you for tap water. How are your companies handling the baggabe fees and the snacks and drinks you must now purchase on board?
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Re: Your Airline of Choice

Post by Smackie Chan »

United. Premiere Executive frequent flyer status does not suck.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

I might fly once a year and I just book ahead through Travelocity and get the cheapest flights I can find at a decent hour. MrsO and I are flying in and out of Buffalo NY in October and it's all on Delta-- round trip for both about $450 tax and fees. Beats the hell out of a couple days driving on I-75,95, and 81 !
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

fuck the airlines, btw

i fly myself, imo
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Western PA authorities are all but begging Southwest to expand flight offerings here. Fuel costs are a bitch.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Delta is the best. If they do not sell all of their first class seats then they offer upgrades at the gate for like 50-100 bucks. Nice little extra that makes them my favorite.
New England Patriots
2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016 Champions

Boston Red Sox
2004, 2007, 2013 Champions

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Neely8 wrote:Delta is the best. If they do not sell all of their first class seats then they offer upgrades at the gate for like 50-100 bucks.
United does, too. I get free upgrades, though. United also has the Economy Plus cabin that other airlines don't have, where you actually get some legroom. I've flown all the major domestic carriers. United is the best.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Midwest Express. Wide leather seats in coach class with fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. $218 to fly roundtrip to Dallas in October.

One time that I flew with them a few years back, the meal was a chilled lobster tail with a complimentary glass of wine.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Our airline of choice:

-SEC
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Continental.

One of their main hubs is about 15 minutes from our house. Very convenient and always friendly at check-in.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Oh. You're taking it seriously.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Papa Willie wrote:The SEC is 11-4 in BCS games since it's inception. Hope that helps you out.
2 out of the 4 BCS sites are in SEC states.

Coincidence?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Oh. You're taking it seriously.
Obviously you're still pissed about what happened to you over at .net a few years ago.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Not really. I learned from the best. I've got some epic "you're a gaylord" and "you're a homo" type ammunition stuffed in my back pocket ready to go. If some Smack Overlord steps to me, it's game ovah.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

i fly sidestep.com. one day i find a roundtrip flight from portland to detroit for $440, wait a day to look again, then find one for $280. i'll have to check email to find which carrier i'm traveling on.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

United- 100%
Flew over 100K last year w/them and am on par to hit about 120K this year.
What I like about United:
1. E+ seating- coach class, but the first 3rd of the plane behind Biz. Reserved for elite members of their mileage plus program. Seats have 5" extra legroom. Doesn't sound like much, but those 5" make a huge difference. When upgrades don't clear, I'm quite happy to sit in E+.
2. Upgrade instruments- As a 100K+ flier, you receive upgrade coupons for use throughout the world. Sitting in Biz class to Europe doesn't suck. Having to burn miles to upgrade does suck.
3. Routing- Simple, United goes where I need to go. Most anywherein N.A. and Europe I need to be, United can take me there. Job will entail me traveling to Aussie land later this year. United services Australia.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Smackie Chan wrote:
Neely8 wrote:Delta is the best. If they do not sell all of their first class seats then they offer upgrades at the gate for like 50-100 bucks.
United does, too. I get free upgrades, though. United also has the Economy Plus cabin that other airlines don't have, where you actually get some legroom. I've flown all the major domestic carriers. United is the best.
How do you get free upgrades? Or are you talking about the e500's? United only gives op-ups when they've oversold the flight and need to free up a few coach seats. In that case, a 1k or Prem Ex gets the bump up to Biz.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Alaska in most cases (went with Expedia for some BUF tickets later this summer...much cheaper). If they've got available seats you can pay $50-$200 to upgrade (which is nearly a must when flying across the country). And I've never had any complaints about the service in coach.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Diego in Seattle wrote:And I've never had any complaints about the service in coach.

So.. as I am scrolling down, I am instantly thinking about how to tie in the word "coach" to boys to Pedo, etc...

And I read:
mvscal wrote:They provide young boys instead of bags of peanuts?

And think to myself, "Why bother trying to improve upon perfection?"
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Ken wrote:How do you get free upgrades? Or are you talking about the e500's?
Yep.

Tom Waits
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

Jet Blue.

I can watch Animal Planet for like, 5+ hours straight.
War Wagon wrote:There is a God and my tomato garden is proof of that.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Ana Ng wrote:Jet Blue.

I can watch Animal Planet for like, 5+ hours straight.
Take Greyhound. It's like Animal Planet in 3-D, with smell-o-vision.

Plus they only got one bathroom to enhance the feeling of being one with the animals.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I haven't been on a Greyhound/Trailways in many years.

Does the "bathroom" still have that little flap that pops out for ventilation, which provides some pretty good bus-riding entertainment when you hang the junk out of it and piss on passing cars?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I took a Greyhound from Portland to Eugene a few years ago. I would have rented a car but I wasn't 25 yet.

Carziest fucking cast of characters on that 2 1/2 hour journey.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RumpleForeskin wrote: Carziest fucking cast of characters on that 2 1/2 hour journey.

Between those two towns?

No way.

Must have been lots of stops to take 2.5 hours.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Dinsdale wrote:I haven't been on a Greyhound/Trailways in many years.

Does the "bathroom" still have that little flap that pops out for ventilation, which provides some pretty good bus-riding entertainment when you hang the junk out of it and piss on passing cars?
That's what we have to do now, because we can't rely on the fucking tank under the bus.

--Dave Matthews
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

I accidentally locked myself in a Greyhound bus bathroom when I was like, 7.

The driver had to pull off the road, stick his face up to the little window, and talk me through unlocking the door.

If it wasn't me, it would've been some old bat from the Valley.

At least there was less chance of ME going into cardiac arrest...........although I did cry, ALot.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

The driver had to pull off the road, stick his face up to the little window, and talk me through unlocking the door.
Where I come from, they call that a glory hole. You're all a bunch of homos.

--Kid Nashville
Stevo
The Crew

Post by Stevo »

Greyhound is the only way to go. I work closely with Greyhound reps to get the best deals for business and personal travel.

If any of you worthless dickholes see a Greyhound cruising the streets in your neighborhood this summer, I'd suggest watching your back.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Just type "glory hole"...and you guessed it, there's Stevo - like fucking clockwork.
Jerkovich
Please pay attention to Me

Post by Jerkovich »

United-
They fly out of my local airport where there is FREE local parking 15 minutes where I live. I can get a red eye flight back east at around $500 and know the route like the back of my hand. Half of the time, the connect from LAX to ORD is a 747-300 dead leg that is half full.

I sleep through the LAX to ORD leg and the beast never wake me up. I love that!

I fucking hate flying to these stupid meetings.

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

RACK
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Mikey wrote:RACK
Might wanna frame that, Kevnic.

Tom Waits
Jerkovich
Please pay attention to Me

Post by Jerkovich »

Smackie Chan wrote:
Mikey wrote:RACK
Might wanna frame that, Kevnic.
Chan, you're one of the dumb fucks that I speak of. :lol:
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

Jerkovich wrote:Image
I see your wife showed up that day?
Last edited by Ana Ng on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Jerkovich wrote:Chan, you're one of the dumb fucks that I speak of. :lol:
Taking smack lessons from Kid Nashville, I see. Might wanna spend a little more time on your homework, maybe during your redeye flights.

Tom Waits
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Jerkovich wrote: and the beast never wake me up.
Wish I could say the same.

sin,

MountRumplevictim.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ken wrote:United- 100%
Flew over 100K last year w/them and am on par to hit about 120K this year.
What I like about United:
1. E+ seating- coach class, but the first 3rd of the plane behind Biz. Reserved for elite members of their mileage plus program. Seats have 5" extra legroom. Doesn't sound like much, but those 5" make a huge difference. When upgrades don't clear, I'm quite happy to sit in E+.
2. Upgrade instruments- As a 100K+ flier, you receive upgrade coupons for use throughout the world. Sitting in Biz class to Europe doesn't suck. Having to burn miles to upgrade does suck.
3. Routing- Simple, United goes where I need to go. Most anywherein N.A. and Europe I need to be, United can take me there. Job will entail me traveling to Aussie land later this year. United services Australia.
... with all that said, United is REALLY trying my patience these days. Have had a miserable month or so flying them. Frankly, early in the year, was miserable too. For that period, I sent an email to 1K Voice documenting my troubles w/them (delays, misconnects, cancellations). Did get a $400 voucher in return for that one. May have to send another.

Two weeks ago, my outbound to Frankfurt, I missed my connection at O'hare due to delayed departure out of Pgh. Had to stay overnight in Chicago (not such a bad thing, actually). On the return from Amsterdam, again, missed my connection and had to stay at Dulles overnight.

Yesterday was the topper though. From Greenville, SC to O'hare, delayed in Greenville for two hours. Finally got to Chicago in time to make my connection to Grand Rapids. Everythings ready to go. We're waiting for the pushback. We sit. We sit. We pick our collective noses. United scheduling took one ofour two flight attendants for another flight and we had to wait for a replacement... that never showed. Two hour later, we are cancelled, this at 11:45 PM. Now, i've got to pay $299 to stay overnight at the Hyatt O'hare. No luggage. No toilletries. Hotel is out of complimentary toothbrushes and toothpaste. Nothing but the clothes on my back and laptop bag.

I'm pissed. But now, in Michigan and all is well.

United is pissing me off.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Dinsdale wrote:I haven't been on a Greyhound/Trailways in many years.

I laughed - May have ridden a greyhound as a kid - can't remember but if that's true it's just hilarious

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

None of the airlines hub out of KCI (surprise!) - so I try and focus on one group where I can rack up the FF miles for the vacation.
I'm liking Delta (also got their Amex to help the process) - it's great that I can also apply flights on Continetal and NW to Delta.

In terms of suckage - SWA is my least favorite and it has everything to do with no assigned seating. From lurking on line to get the boarding pass exactly 24 hours before flight, to standing in the zoned cattle shoots to the level of people who all recline their fucking seat onto my laptop and knees they just suck.

AA is a close second as their seats have to be the smallest ever.

Big Midwest Fan for comfort - but not nearly enough flights. I also like Froniter out of Denver to the west simply for the Direct TV option