Awards time

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Shine
Leads all Lists

Awards time

Post by Shine »

Player of the Year:

I wanted to give it to...

Someone from the Illini, for being undefeated* all year. Problem is, it's hard to pick one guy from Williams, Head, and Brown that really deserves it over the others.

I almost gave it to...

Chris Paul, I just love his game and he is the engine that makes the Deacons go.

JJ Reddick, as much as I dislike everything associated with Dook, you can't ignore the kids game this year.

I'm giving it to...

Andrew Bogut, without his game Utah is a non-factor even in their weak conference. He has a great all around game and IMO there isn't a player in D1 that matches up with him.

Coach of the Year:

I wanted to give it to...

Bruce Weber, as going undefeated* is an outstanding accomplishment. However, there was no doubt Illinois was going to be really good this year and since I only thought they'd lose 2-3 games anyway I couldn't do it.

I almost gave it to...

Al Skinner, as BC came out of nowhere to make a run at a 1 seed and Big East title.

I'm giving it to... (faint of heart should take a breath here)

Mike Krzywshkewiskingaint, this was supposed to be the year Dook came back to the pack and languished in the tough ACC well behind UNC and Wake, and likely behind Tech and Maryland. Instead with a (by Dook standards) lesser talented team he's had Dook in the ACC title hunt and battling for a top seed once again.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Wow, picking Coach K...that pill had to hurt going down. I think Skinner, Weber or Coach K are good picks for coach of the year.

For player of the year, Bogut is a good choice. Any college player averaging 20 & 10 a game and shooting 64% from the floor is most likely an All-American. Redick is having a great year also. He's still awful handling the ball but the guy is a scorer. No way would Duke be where they are right now without his shooting ability after what they lost to the draft. I can't argue with ESPN's All-American choices except for May...that choice is debateable.

Frosh of the year, I give it to Williams over Gibson only because of Williams production with fewer minutes played. If he played 30+ minutes a game like Gibson, he'd probably average 16 or 17 points a game.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

I really can't speak to national POY...I just don't see enough games to make an informed opinion. I think Weber is a lock for COY though.

ACC POY is Redick. My other first teamers would be Williams, Paul, May, and Diaz.
ACC COY is K. HM to Seth Greenberg.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

POY: Reddick. Hate Duke or love Duke, this kid is a fcukin' baller. HM: Bogut (Utah), Simien (KU), Diogu (ASU), Gomes (Prov).

These five are also my AA team. Yeah, I know there's only one guard and he can barely fuckin' dribble. So what?

COY: Uh, Bruce Weber maybe. Gosh.

=====

Big 12 Awards:

POY: Simien, followed by Graham (fOSU), Gray (OU), Wright (A&M), Stinson (ISU). (Also, the All-Conference team...)

COY: This one's tough... Self. Sampson. Nope...

Barnes, Tejas. What he's done, through injuries, etc... has been nice. And, after OU's year last year, I want to see what he's done get appreciated since what Kelvin did never fully was.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

JJ's actually a good ballhandler. He really worked on driving the lane this year....he's not simply a spot shooter like his first couple of years.
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

He's improved as a ballhandler. (heh) But to call him "good" is an overstatement. ANYBODY that shoots as well as him can instantly take the ball to the basket as well as he can as well. To play well at the next level, he's got to get better.

the_ouskull
MisterTwister
Crack Whore

Post by MisterTwister »

I don't know how anyone from the Big 12 could not vote for Morgan this year....if they do indeed make it to the NCAA tourney. They've lost two players due to academic and team infractions. They lost one early season starter due to injury. They don't have a rotation.....most players are averaging30-35 minutes with the one big man, Homan, doing 40 minutes most games. To take a team that hadn't won on the road in B12 play in the last 3 years and win @Texas, @ Kansas, @ Nebraska, and @ Colorado is pretty damn worthy of B12 coach of the year.

But then again, I may be a homer.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MisterTwister wrote:I don't know how anyone from the Big 12 could not vote for Morgan this year....if they do indeed make it to the NCAA tourney. They've lost two players due to academic and team infractions. They lost one early season starter due to injury. They don't have a rotation.....most players are averaging30-35 minutes with the one big man, Homan, doing 40 minutes most games. To take a team that hadn't won on the road in B12 play in the last 3 years and win @Texas, @ Kansas, @ Nebraska, and @ Colorado is pretty damn worthy of B12 coach of the year.

But then again, I may be a homer.
yeah, but by the same token, aTm didn't win a single conference game last year. and, like ISU, is two W's in the conference tournament from the NCAA.

my opinion on Redick is this: he's a helluva a shooter and a great college basketball player regardless. but, he's played poorly in the NCAA tournament. I'll give it up to him when he doesn't.

i'm giving you minimal cred on winning at CU and NU. just cause ISU sucked on the road before doesn't mean not sucking now means all-conference props.
MisterTwister
Crack Whore

Post by MisterTwister »

Winning at Phog Allen should be automatic B12 coach of the year. The rest of the road wins were gravy.

While TAM seems to have found a basketball program, scheduling the local high schools in your OOC schedule doesn't make your coach a genius only desperate to make the tourney.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MisterTwister wrote:Winning at Phog Allen should be automatic B12 coach of the year. The rest of the road wins were gravy.

While TAM seems to have found a basketball program, scheduling the local high schools in your OOC schedule doesn't make your coach a genius only desperate to make the tourney.
i agree about aTm's non con schedule and have posted it more than once here. but, one win anywhere is not automatic anything. ISU ain't exactly a lock for the dance, BTW. so, i'd cool my jets on who is and who isn't "desperate".

JMO.
MisterTwister
Crack Whore

Post by MisterTwister »

I agree that at 17-10 ISU is no lock for the tourney. But I like their chances. Win two in KC this week and they're a lock. Win one and they're in strong contention. Lose the first and it's NIT bound.

But ISU put it together when it counted and is playing as well as anyone in the league right now. Will it be enough to impress the committee? I don't know, but it seems to have impressed all the pundits as they all have mentioned ISU in their selections.

Personally, I think both TAM and ISU have done enough to deserve a trip to the dance.
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

...as do I. But both have been trying to fuck themselves out of it as of late.

Which sucks. I thnk ISU is probably more deserving, but I still think A&M houses the better coach. A&M's been consistant most of the year (say what you will about that) but ISU has been up and down, and that's coaching as much as it is the players, regardless of what he's lost throughout the season... Look at Kelvin last year. STILL got his 20 wins, and you didn't hear (many) Sooner fans crying about him winning COY. Losing players to academic or team reasons doesn't make him a COY candidate, no matter how well the remaining players play because to lose players in that manner, he wasn't doing his job in the first place.

Sorry.

the_ouskull
MisterTwister
Crack Whore

Post by MisterTwister »

Nah, I wouldn't cry if Morgan didn't get Big12 COY. Do I think he's done enough to deserve it, yep. But so have a half dozen other coaches so I'm good no matter what the outcome.
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

POY - Ike Diogu of Arizona State. He probably won't win, but he deserves it. He's had an amazing year and nobody got to see it. He's the only option on the team and continues to go off for big numbers scoring and rebounding. He doesn't take many bad shots. One hell of a player.

Others receiving votes: Bogut, Simien, Redick, May....

Coach of the Year - Al Skinner, took a team that very little was expected of and made them a top three seed in the NCAA tourney.

Others receving votes: Webber, K, Sampson, Gillespie.....
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Coach of the Year:

tie between Quin Snyder and Tommy Amacker.

POY:

tie between Daniel Horton and Pierre Pierce.