Post by BlindRef »

Rodriguez to Michigan?

http://mgoblog.blogspot.com/
Those who stay will be champions.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

if true, big get for Michigan.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

Hmm, good hire. Personally, I think the whole state of WV might declare war on Michigan.
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Real surprised that he would leave WVU after all they were giving him, but money does talk.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

They may run some type of innovative offense and score a bunch of points. Is Michigan's alumni ready for this?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug ... &type=lgns

Great news...if I had to hear the question "who do you think will be the next coach?" again, I was going to lose it. MichiganFan can relax and look forward to next fall.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:They may run some type of innovative offense and score a bunch of points. Is Michigan's alumni ready for this?

If they win big games, Rodriguez can do whatever he wants.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Great hire, btw. I think pretty highly of RR.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

The spread option....in the big ten....wheels of change are coming......
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Could this mean the end of the concrete-footed pocket passer. Maybe Michigan might finally have that dynamic QB that many fans have been crying for. With Hart and Henne gone...they've got to find their next stars at those two key positions. Running back is never really a problem...gotta wonder what the future is for Mallett.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Tell you right now-if I'm Keith Nichol looking at two more years (at least) of sitting behind Sam Bradford and Landry Jones coming in...

..I'm thinking of transferring to Michigan, using that redshirt year, and having three to play three. Nichol is a perfect spread option type QB.

That would be ironic if that happens considering he turned down MSU and went down to Norman instead.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Well, the kid doesn't have to take Rodriguez's offer but that is kind of shady to do.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Never mind about Nichol. Apparently RR just pulled a HUGE scumbag move and called Tyrelle Pryor (who was a BIG WVU lean) before he told his team about his decision and to let him know he had a Michigan scholarship if he wanted one.

Bush.
League.

When moving jobs, it's pretty tacky to target kids that you were recruiting at your old school.
Especially if you are going to run the same offense you ran at UWV.

From Rivals.com:

Pryor, who has been interested in West Virginia because its wide-open offense mirrors his own at Jeannette, seemed excited about the news.

"He's excited and so was I," said Pryor. "Michigan was on my early list, and now their right up there again. He's a great coach and I like his offense."

Rodriguez apparently informed Pryor before alerting most others, gauging the QBs interest in joining him at his new school.

"He called me this morning and told me before he announced to anyone," said Pryor. "He said he's keeping the same offense that he had at West Virginia because it's all he knows. I love that offense. I told him I was very interested."

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I kind of feel guilty if Rodriguez steals him away from West Virginia...he honestly wouldn't have ended up at Michigan without Rodriguez taking the job. Did he make an actual commitment to them yet?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Imagine four years of him and Sam McGuffie in the Michigan backfield in Rodriguez's offense... 8)
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

"He said he's keeping the same offense that he had at West Virginia because it's all he knows."
So what's that make Ryan Mallet? Wasted goods? No way that big, oafish dork is running that offense.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Good point.

Spartan boards are freaking out, saying Dantonio is on the short list of WVU head coaching candidates.
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

Congrats to Michigan fan. I believe Richy is a fantastic hire. I had silent hopes he would find his way to Tallahassee at some point in the future....

Major upgrade from Carr.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

i have to go have my stomach pumped now that life's worth living again.

i don't feel bad if pryor commits to michigan. rr's first act as michigan coach and apparently he consulted his what lloyd jalopy wouldn't do rubric and offered the scholarship that weinke just abandoned. perhaps the next time michigan finds itself in a situation similar to last year rr will actually tell the media his team deserves to play for the mnc, even if they don't. i don't want sleazy politicking, but i also don't want the coach to reference some obscure biography and say, oh, you know, these things have a way of working themselves out.

as far as mallet, slow qb's can run the spread, though i don't know if a retard can learn it after spending an entire year fucking up mike debord's primer, or whatever the fuck he uses as a playbook. he has some crazy upside, but we've been down this road before. ooh, this navarre guy's going to be good! ooh, we get henne an entire four years?! omg we're going to dominate the nfl. let's leave the big ten and join the sec.

this bodes well for jim tressel's bank account. osu's only been paying him to coach for eleven weeks out of the year, so he should get a raise considering he actually has to log hours now during michigan week.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

If you are a good coach and recruiter why should it matter. What? Do you just keep the crap that the other school was getting and don't try to recruit? DOn't forget they just fired a coach(retired, whatever). You run a spread option so you need particular personnel. I'm sure he heavily recruited most of the dual-threat guys. Give me a break.

I think its fine whomever he goes after. A little naive otherwise......you are leaving your alma mater anyhow. You may as well try to win some games at the new school.

Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

Anyone know what RR's buyout was?

That combined w/ the salaries for all UM assistants this year could add up to a pretty penny.
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

they'll probably pay them using the interest they gained on all that money they haven't spent on coaches the last 40 years.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sky wrote:Anyone know what RR's buyout was?

That combined w/ the salaries for all UM assistants this year could add up to a pretty penny.
The buyout was reportedly $4 mil. The basketball coach's buyout was $2.5 mill, but the school's settled on $1.5 mil. So this one should be somewhere between $2.5 mil and $3 mil.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Never mind about Nichol. Apparently RR just pulled a HUGE scumbag move and called Tyrelle Pryor (who was a BIG WVU lean) before he told his team about his decision and to let him know he had a Michigan scholarship if he wanted one.

Bush.
League.

When moving jobs, it's pretty tacky to target kids that you were recruiting at your old school.
That is absolute bullshit. The kid hadn't committed, he was an OSU and WVU target. This is totally legit. He was going to WVU for the system and the coach, sure as hell not for the school.
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
"He said he's keeping the same offense that he had at West Virginia because it's all he knows."
So what's that make Ryan Mallet? Wasted goods? No way that big, oafish dork is running that offense.
Mallet ran the spread in high school.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

First, Rack the hire. Thanks to WVU for being our coaching farm system. Rodriquez was one of the few names I could get excited about. Hire a great DC now and we're in business.

As for the Pryor thing, who cares. There was no commit, recruits follow coaches all the time in football and hoops. Seems like no biggie to me.

Go Blue!!
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

I think that is a horrible analogy.

Depending on industry you have what's called a "non-compete". Mine is nine months from separation. There are usually clauses detailing you cannot solicit prior clientele and such.

Coaching is much more fluid. It would be very difficult to do anything like you are talking about. Think about all the assistant coaches coming and going.....hell look at the head coaches.....

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i agree with Froz.

c'mon it's a scummy bizness and i've seen Colorado boards flame like a mother against Bob Stoops for keeping after Lynn Katoa (CU de-commit)and the same posters talk about how Dan Hawkins should "go get" Landry Jones and raid ATM, UCLA, and NU classes.

CU had official visits from several decommits from ATM, UCLA and NU this weekend

it's scummy business, but let's not be hypocrites.
Last edited by King Crimson on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

Believe the Heupel wrote:
BlindRef wrote:

Bush.
League.

That is absolute bullshit. The kid hadn't committed, he was an OSU and WVU target. This is totally legit. He was going to WVU for the system and the coach, sure as hell not for the school.
Then Rodriguez damn sure could have waited until after the announcement to call the kid and tell him he wanted him at Michigan.

The way he handled it was scummy, plain and simple.

Listen, it's considered pretty poor form when you're still working at a job to call up your leads and tell them "Hey, I'm leaving for this company. Come on over" Particularly when you're still on the old company's dime-particularly if you had used your current company's resources to build a relationship with the client.

Yeah that's called smart business. You need to look out for the future. And Pryor wasn't a WVU client, he was a prospect client, they provided a quote, and maybe Pryor likes the salesman more than the product.

Having switched companies, I have done the same thing. My room mate is switching real estate firms and he is doing the same thing.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

This is good.....

Dateline, Ann Arbor, December 16, 2007: MICHIGAN PLANNING TO ACQUIRE WOODBURN HALL.
After hiring basketball coach John Beilin and football coach Rich Rodriguez from West Virginia University, the University of Michigan is planning to acquire another venerable institution from the Mountain State's flagship institution of higher learning: Woodburn Hall, the 19th century academic building considered the very heart of WVU's campus.

While Michigan officials refused to comment, reliable sources report that Woodburn Hall agreed to be transported brick by brick from Morgantown to Ann Arbor. Nearby building Martin Hall looked surprised by the news, but the Mountainlair, WVU's student union that "never really got along with" Woodburn Hall, appeared relieved.

Woodburn Hall is to replace Michigan's Chrysler Tower, which served honorably for over three decades, but which is being torn down next month. Michigan officials had said the razing is a result of three decades of wear and tear, but it is widely speculated that the building's demise was also influenced by its dated 1970s retro look and the unprecedented string of four straight losses to Ohio State's Glieberman Library in the Big Ten Annual Campus Architecture Competition.

The loss of Woodburn Hall comes at a particularly inopportune time for WVU, not only coming on the heels of Michigan's luring of the two WVU coaches, but because the building recently received a $1.25 million upgrade consisting of a new roof, state of the art communications rewiring, and a coffee bar. The building traditionally received routine maintenance, but a year ago when the University of Florida offered to acquire Woodburn Circle to replace it's hurricane-damaged provost's building, WVU officials offered a sweetened infrastructure package to keep the century-old landmark.

The WVU community is mixed in its opinion of the news. Mark Smith, a grad student in forestry management originally from Poca, said "I respect what Woodburn Circle has done for us over the years, but I can't really hold this against it. Michigan is a great place to be, and if ol' Woodburn has decided to move on, well, I wish it well." Peter Hutchison, a sophomore marketing major from Fairmont, had a different response. "Woodburn circle is nothing but kindling to me now. I had classes there for cryin' out loud, and I loved it, but if it ever shows its shingles around here again, so help me God I'll start a bonfire."

WVU President Mike Garrison had no comment on the loss of Rodriquez or the reported loss of Woodburn Hall, but he was seen meeting with the WVU Mountaineer mascot after sports blogs linked it to the open mascot position at the University of North Dakota, which recently announced plans to raise the profile of its athletic departments.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

There is a difference between the spread and the spread option. Dick Rod can do both. Mallett ran the spread in HS so I think he will be fine. Where UofM will struggle is with their Oline.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

This is huge news. Pryor would now appear to be between UM and OSU.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

WolverineSteve wrote:This is good.....

Dateline, Ann Arbor, December 16, 2007: MICHIGAN PLANNING TO ACQUIRE WOODBURN HALL.
After hiring basketball coach John Beilin and football coach Rich Rodriguez from West Virginia University, the University of Michigan is planning to acquire another venerable institution from the Mountain State's flagship institution of higher learning: Woodburn Hall, the 19th century academic building considered the very heart of WVU's campus.

While Michigan officials refused to comment, reliable sources report that Woodburn Hall agreed to be transported brick by brick from Morgantown to Ann Arbor. Nearby building Martin Hall looked surprised by the news, but the Mountainlair, WVU's student union that "never really got along with" Woodburn Hall, appeared relieved.

Woodburn Hall is to replace Michigan's Chrysler Tower, which served honorably for over three decades, but which is being torn down next month. Michigan officials had said the razing is a result of three decades of wear and tear, but it is widely speculated that the building's demise was also influenced by its dated 1970s retro look and the unprecedented string of four straight losses to Ohio State's Glieberman Library in the Big Ten Annual Campus Architecture Competition.

The loss of Woodburn Hall comes at a particularly inopportune time for WVU, not only coming on the heels of Michigan's luring of the two WVU coaches, but because the building recently received a $1.25 million upgrade consisting of a new roof, state of the art communications rewiring, and a coffee bar. The building traditionally received routine maintenance, but a year ago when the University of Florida offered to acquire Woodburn Circle to replace it's hurricane-damaged provost's building, WVU officials offered a sweetened infrastructure package to keep the century-old landmark.

The WVU community is mixed in its opinion of the news. Mark Smith, a grad student in forestry management originally from Poca, said "I respect what Woodburn Circle has done for us over the years, but I can't really hold this against it. Michigan is a great place to be, and if ol' Woodburn has decided to move on, well, I wish it well." Peter Hutchison, a sophomore marketing major from Fairmont, had a different response. "Woodburn circle is nothing but kindling to me now. I had classes there for cryin' out loud, and I loved it, but if it ever shows its shingles around here again, so help me God I'll start a bonfire."

WVU President Mike Garrison had no comment on the loss of Rodriquez or the reported loss of Woodburn Hall, but he was seen meeting with the WVU Mountaineer mascot after sports blogs linked it to the open mascot position at the University of North Dakota, which recently announced plans to raise the profile of its athletic departments.
Except what the hell is Chrysler Tower?
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

PSUFAN in 1995 wrote:This is huge news. Pryor would now appear to be between freebasing and MS.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Killian wrote:Where UofM will struggle is with their Oline.
This is what most people are missing. Rodriguez will need at least 2-3 seasons to recruit his type of players for his system. He can promise Pryor the world right now, but whoever the QB is next season might be running for his life in the backfield. Risky choice, but who knows.

"Or you can come to a school who will have arguably the best offensive line in the country in the next 2-3 seasons." Especially if Josh Jenkins passes up WVU for Columbus.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

L45B wrote:
Killian wrote:Where UofM will struggle is with their Oline.
"Or you can come to a school who will have arguably the best offensive line in the country in the next 2-3 seasons." Especially if Josh Jenkins passes up WVU for Columbus.
pardon my asking....Jenkins is from Morgantown?

anyhow... O-H-
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Congrats on a good hire guys, didn't see it coming after the clusterfuck earlier.

As far as recruits go I'd say Rodriquez shouldn't be chasing WV-commits. If they haven't committed or they contact Rodriquez/Mich on their own that is another matter.

This leaves WV is a lousy spot. Who do they go after now? If Calvin McGee can run Rodriquez's system I'd say upgrade the D by hiring Bud Foster.

Graham from Tulsa would be worth looking-at.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

socal wrote:
PSUFAN in 1995 wrote:This is huge news. Pryor would now appear to be between freebasing and MS.
bastard. :lol:
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Danimal wrote: This leaves WV is a lousy spot. Who do they go after now? If Calvin McGee can run Rodriquez's system I'd say upgrade the D by hiring Bud Foster.
mcgee's coming to ann arbor. i stabbed debord in the face.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Believe the Heupel wrote:
BlindRef wrote:

Bush.
League.

Then Rodriguez damn sure could have waited until after the announcement to call the kid and tell him he wanted him at Michigan.

The way he handled it was scummy, plain and simple.

Listen, it's considered pretty poor form when you're still working at a job to call up your leads and tell them "Hey, I'm leaving for this company. Come on over" Particularly when you're still on the old company's dime-particularly if you had used your current company's resources to build a relationship with the client.
poor form or not, it happens all the time, I have done it, leave one company with my entire client list and take it to a rival. If West Virginia didnt make him sign a no compete clause when he signed his contract theres nothing that can be done. Especially if the product is the services of a teenage boy. Maybe what West Virginia can do is hire Pryors High School Coach as the director of operations and then he can call Pryor when Pryor is sitting on the bench and ask Pryor and a few of his other non starting buddies to transfer