Anyone else hear..

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Anyone else hear..

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

Ferentz to Michigan? Just a rumor I heard.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Re: Anyone else hear..

Post by Cornhusker »

Frank Beamer's growth wrote:Ferentz to Michigan? Just a rumor I heard.
Read on one of the lemming boards his wife was looking at real estate in the Ann Arbor area i.e. Bob Davie 2003. yuck..yuck..

But I wouldn't think him being looked at for that job is a major reach. Michigan is Michigan, but he did win his share against them I do believe.
He could be pretty dangerous with 'gander talent. He fits the Big 10 mentality with his offensive scheme.
I could see Michigan interested. I would think he'd be behind Miles or Kelly.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So, if Miles goes to Michigan, does he take Crowton with him?

And if he does, does Michigan now play a spread-option offense?

Is Michigan ready for that? Is everyone else?

Interesting stuff.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
L45B
Commanche Hero

Re: Anyone else hear..

Post by L45B »

Cornhusker wrote:Read on one of the lemming boards his wife was looking at real estate in the Ann Arbor area...
Wonder if she ran into Billy Donovan's wife on her journeys.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Jimmy Johnson's wife/gf was apparently in a real estate office in College Station the year Fran was hired.
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

http://www.mgoblog.com is reporting rumors that Ferentz was offered the job and accepted.

Right now I feel like we just lost to OSU through 2012...I just don't know what the hell we are thinking.

This could end up ruining this program for years to come.

At this point, I am considering not renewing my season tickets...I don't know if I can afford to support such an awful decision.
Those who stay will be champions.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

i've stopped hyperventilating enough to find a bit of solace in the comments that this all seems to be coming from the iowa end, not michigan.
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Post by GreginPG »

I think you guys are failing to see the bigger picture.
Just think of what Michigan will be like with all those first round draft picks on the roster.
FIGHT ON!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I'll believe it when I see it. I know Michigan is all about hiring their "boys" but I'm also pretty sure they're interested in playing in something other than the Alamo or Outback every year.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Sudden Sam wrote:Is Appalachian State on next year's UM schedule/ The Wolverines heading to Boone?

The next coach is gonna want to know.
What is the date of 'Bama's trip to UL-Monroe?
Dreams......Temporary Madness
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I think UL Monroe was the only team to lose to North Texas...

rough year for Bama yes...

Saban calls out USF for recruiting
Saban uses catastrophic events to fire his team up (granted in context not so bad, but in this PC world...got to watch what you say)
UL MONROE
and losing to AUBURN again...

stay the course sam....stay the course
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

Sudden Sam wrote:Is Appalachian State on next year's UM schedule?
Not to worry Wolverine fan, you'll be fine with Ferentz, just don't schedule W. Michigan or Iowa St.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

I'd say Ferentz is a long shot at this time......

From Mlive......

Before folks get too carried away with rumors that Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz has already been offered the chance to succeed Lloyd Carr as University of Michigan football coach, it should at least be pointed out that Ferentz might not measure up to Carr's own hope that the next coach, "continue to abide by the values established by Bo Schembechler, and the men who preceded him."

And, no, that's not because he's only one game over .500 in the past three years and couldn't beat Western Michigan at home in Iowa's season finale, although one would hope those things are a bit of a concern.

Would Bo Schembechler, for instance, be comfortable with the fact that - as the Des Moines Register pointed out earlier this year - 10 percent of the current Iowa football team has run afoul of the law? Columnist Sean Keeler documented some of the off-field troubles surrounding Ferentz's program, as well as how it's embarrassed Iowa's fans and administration:

.... parents have to explain to their kids why as many as 11 Iowa football players have allegedly broken the law. In seven months.
"It doesn't really send a positive image about the athletic program when you have that kind of stuff happening," says Lew Montgomery, a former Hawkeye running back and Waterloo native who lettered at Iowa between 1989-92. "I think coach (Kirk) Ferentz has done a very good job of suspending players, he's kicked players off the team - it's just not the character of the kind of program that he's (built). You do get a little tired of hearing about it."

Iowa fans are tired of reading about it. Athletic director Gary Barta and Ferentz -- especially Ferentz -- are getting tired of having to answer questions about it.

But it's not going away anytime soon, either.

Unless, of course, you know ... Ferentz goes away.

Then there's an older issue, one linked directly to Ferentz's own family, and essentially stealing money from the poor. That sounds crazy, right? Well, as the Register and ESPN's Outside the Lines and NPR all reported in 2004, Iowa players - including Ferentz's son, Brian - lived dirt cheap subsidized Federal housing intended for the poor.

The original Register story by Lee Hood is no longer available on the web, but here's a key excerpt from Nexis:

Iowa City, Ia. - University of Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz, who earned $1,950,000 last year, lives in a $946,000 house -one advantage of being the state government's highest-paid employee.
Ferentz's son, Brian, a football player for the Hawkeyes, lived dirt-cheap this past school year in an apartment complex that was built for the poor - an advantage of being a college student with little or no income in the eyes of the federal government.

But as a full-scholarship athlete, Brian Ferentz receives free tuition, and the university also pays him $406 a month for housing and $298 a month for food and other college expenses.

Ferentz is not the only student to avail himself of taxpayer-subsidized housing.

Roughly 200 U of I students, including dozens of athletes, lived this past school year in apartments in Iowa City that are intended for needy families, elderly people and people with disabilities.

Ferentz essentially refused to speak to the Register for the story, saying that it was his understanding many students were taking advantage of a loophole in Federal regulations (a loophole that was changed as a result of the Register's coverage) and living in subsidized housing.

Hey, everybody's doing it!

Is that the kind of leadership Schembechler would have been proud of?

The folks who try to help real poor people find housing were not, of course, very happy with Iowa football players on full scholarship occupying apartments intended for the needy:

"I think it's outrageous that any college student - whether a chemistry major or an athlete - would be living in public housing," said Jim Cain of Des Moines, head of the Iowa Coalition for Housing and the Homeless. "It's outrageous that you would have them getting a free ride at the public's expense."
Does Michigan really need to hire a guy with this kind of baggage who, incidentally, can't beat Western Michigan at home?

Guess we're going to find out.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
minorthreat
Elwood

Post by minorthreat »

Watch out Sooner fans...the Hawkeye boards are pretty much saying Stoops to Iowa if Ferentz leaves. :meds:

If he does go to Michigan hopefully Chizik can get you on the schedule in the future.
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

WolverineSteve wrote:I'd say Ferentz is a long shot at this time......

From Mlive......

Before folks get too carried away with rumors that Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz has already been offered the chance to succeed Lloyd Carr as University of Michigan football coach, it should at least be pointed out that Ferentz might not measure up to Carr's own hope that the next coach, "continue to abide by the values established by Bo Schembechler, and the men who preceded him."

And, no, that's not because he's only one game over .500 in the past three years and couldn't beat Western Michigan at home in Iowa's season finale, although one would hope those things are a bit of a concern.

Would Bo Schembechler, for instance, be comfortable with the fact that - as the Des Moines Register pointed out earlier this year - 10 percent of the current Iowa football team has run afoul of the law? Columnist Sean Keeler documented some of the off-field troubles surrounding Ferentz's program, as well as how it's embarrassed Iowa's fans and administration:

.... parents have to explain to their kids why as many as 11 Iowa football players have allegedly broken the law. In seven months.
"It doesn't really send a positive image about the athletic program when you have that kind of stuff happening," says Lew Montgomery, a former Hawkeye running back and Waterloo native who lettered at Iowa between 1989-92. "I think coach (Kirk) Ferentz has done a very good job of suspending players, he's kicked players off the team - it's just not the character of the kind of program that he's (built). You do get a little tired of hearing about it."

Iowa fans are tired of reading about it. Athletic director Gary Barta and Ferentz -- especially Ferentz -- are getting tired of having to answer questions about it.

But it's not going away anytime soon, either.

Unless, of course, you know ... Ferentz goes away.

Then there's an older issue, one linked directly to Ferentz's own family, and essentially stealing money from the poor. That sounds crazy, right? Well, as the Register and ESPN's Outside the Lines and NPR all reported in 2004, Iowa players - including Ferentz's son, Brian - lived dirt cheap subsidized Federal housing intended for the poor.

The original Register story by Lee Hood is no longer available on the web, but here's a key excerpt from Nexis:

Iowa City, Ia. - University of Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz, who earned $1,950,000 last year, lives in a $946,000 house -one advantage of being the state government's highest-paid employee.
Ferentz's son, Brian, a football player for the Hawkeyes, lived dirt-cheap this past school year in an apartment complex that was built for the poor - an advantage of being a college student with little or no income in the eyes of the federal government.

But as a full-scholarship athlete, Brian Ferentz receives free tuition, and the university also pays him $406 a month for housing and $298 a month for food and other college expenses.

Ferentz is not the only student to avail himself of taxpayer-subsidized housing.

Roughly 200 U of I students, including dozens of athletes, lived this past school year in apartments in Iowa City that are intended for needy families, elderly people and people with disabilities.

Ferentz essentially refused to speak to the Register for the story, saying that it was his understanding many students were taking advantage of a loophole in Federal regulations (a loophole that was changed as a result of the Register's coverage) and living in subsidized housing.

Hey, everybody's doing it!

Is that the kind of leadership Schembechler would have been proud of?

The folks who try to help real poor people find housing were not, of course, very happy with Iowa football players on full scholarship occupying apartments intended for the needy:

"I think it's outrageous that any college student - whether a chemistry major or an athlete - would be living in public housing," said Jim Cain of Des Moines, head of the Iowa Coalition for Housing and the Homeless. "It's outrageous that you would have them getting a free ride at the public's expense."
Does Michigan really need to hire a guy with this kind of baggage who, incidentally, can't beat Western Michigan at home?

Guess we're going to find out.
Well it just may be me, but if Carr doesn't like Miles for whatever reason and Ferentz is a weasel in his eyes, what's his play? And more importantly why is it up to him?
I mean, does he dig up Bo "against Bo's standards, I'd hope?" and clone his DNA for success 25 years down the road..?" or drop his own turd , dress it in Maize and Blue and call it good?
Seems to me Michigan's biggest problem may be this power monger calling the shots in the name of Schembechler.
Troubled waters me thinks.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

Cornhusker wrote:Seems to me Michigan's biggest problem may be this power monger calling the shots in the name of Schembechler.
Troubled waters me thinks.
consider Bo was a traitor to begin with...
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

If I'm in-charge I'd say fuck the dumb shit and just hire Kelly. He is a quality coach. The locals respect him. He'd take the job, and for a better price than Ferentz.

Wish my 'skers could get him instead.

Just who does Carr think he is going to get anyway?
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

^^ Glad you're not in charge. But it's obvious Carr has a lot more pull in this decision than expected.

Love to see the juggling of Ferentz & Miles going on here.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Don't believe the shit we're hearing. Carr is barely involved in the process.

Kelly has some character issues from his days at CMU.

I'm still a Miles guy. I think he'll have to turn the gig down before anyone else is hired. If and when that happens, I'll support whomever they hire....so long as it's not DeBoring.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

uhh...

even if these turn out to be rumors, i still need to find a way to counter these heart palpitations.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Beer
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

i heard you don't have to leave the country any longer to have a bit of absinthe. here's a night i wasn't so worried about the umich coaching search:

i had hallucinations when i looked over the 07 schedule saw 12 wins and a bsc birth.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

I've heard of absinthe....describe.

What's happening in the picture? Pouring it through....?
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

tastes like licorice. i've only had it the once. apparently you're supposed to dilute it with water, but my host neglected that part. she just poured the absinthe over the sugar cube and i used the spoon to stir it before drinking it quite quickly, like a shot. it's supposed to be sipped, which i imagine is easier when it's diluted. selah. a nice start to a caribbean night, though.