McNabb

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Dinsdale
Lord Google

McNabb

Post by Dinsdale »

African-American quarterbacks face more pressure and more criticism than their white counterparts, Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan McNabb says in an interview scheduled to air on HBO on Tuesday night.

McNabb, in an interview on "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel," tells interviewer James Brown that African-American quarterbacks such as himself face added pressure because there are fewer black QBs -- and because some still don't want black athletes playing the position.

"There's not that many African-American quarterbacks, so we have to do a little bit extra," McNabb tells HBO. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play ... is low, so we do a little extra."

Later in the interview, Brown presses McNabb on criticism of his performance -- and if African-American QBs are graded more harshly.

"I pass for 300 yards, our team wins by seven, [mimicking] 'Ah, he could've made this throw, they would have scored if he did this,' " McNabb tells HBO.

"Doesn't every quarterback go through that?" Brown asks.

"Not everybody," McNabb replies.

Brown then asks if the media is tougher on him than on white quarterbacks such as Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning.

"Let me start by saying I love those guys," McNabb tells HBO. "But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."

In the interview, McNabb also talks to Brown about playing in Philadelphia, a city known for passionate sports fans who aren't afraid to criticize the city's pro athletes.

"Every year I'm part of some criticism," McNabb tells HBO. "But every day that we go through life, you're faced with a lot of adversity. Now the answer is how do you handle the adversity. How do you respond?

"I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."

Wow... just wow.

That last line is... just wow.

I wonder if McJackass ever considered the possibility that Manning and Palmer recieve less criticism than him because they're better than he is?

Michael Vick was statistically the worst QB in the NFL... where was all the hate, pre-dogs? That guy was adored in Atlanta, and was given a break BECAUSE he was a "black QB."

Steve McNair is black, last time I checked. Where's all this criticism for McNair? Two things come to mind -- A) McNair is a better QB than McNabb, is better in the clutch, and goes out there and gets it done with bones sticking out through his skin, rather than miss half of every other season, and B) McNair doesn't play in Philly... ya'think that might have something to do with McNabb's criticism? That he plays in front of the people who hate on Santa Claus?

But hey -- at least for this week, Vick and LaDouchian Tomlinson aren't the biggest douchebags in the NFL. I'm sure LaDouchian will claim his rightful title back soon, though. The staredown of Belicheat after getting his ass handed to him again keeps him frmly in the #2 spot, though.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

Was that interview before or after he led his team to an 0-2 start? I'm guessing before.

How's that Black QB thing working out for ya this week, McNabb?

Care to expound on the "little extra" that you did the last two weeks?

If you think Philly fan hating on Santa Claus is brutal, wait to see their reaction if they loose to Detroit and start 0-3.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Headhunter wrote:Was that interview before or after he led his team to an 0-2 start? I'm guessing before.

How's that Black QB thing working out for ya this week, McNabb?

Care to expound on the "little extra" that you did the last two weeks?

If you think Philly fan hating on Santa Claus is brutal, wait to see their reaction if they loose to Detroit and start 0-3.

If they lose to Detroit?? Thats like my lock of the week....
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:What a dumb cunt. Limbaugh had him pegged.
It appears though that McNabb is disputing Limbaugh's claim that the media is "desirous that a black quarterback can do well". I don't remember, what else did Rush say about McNabb? Other than he was "not that good".
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Bring on Kevin Kolb. Even if he sucks he won't pull the race card and I won't have to read or hear about it in the media.
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

He has looked like shit these two games- and this was a dumb fuck thing to say. This ranks right up there with his "black on black" crime statement.

On another note- I know its been said before- but the ESPN crew REALLY needs to go- they spent at least 1/2 the game NOT talking about what was going on on the field.
Yeah fuckers.... I'm back
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

jiminphilly wrote:Bring on Kevin Kolb. Even if he sucks he won't pull the race card and I won't have to read or hear about it in the media.

That's only because the biased media wants unwashed, inbred Texans to do well.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Just remember -- It's a conspiracy by the White Man to keep a brother down, and the criticism has NOTHING to do with McNabb's 68.8 QB Rating.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

McNabb has certainly looked like shit the past 2 weeks but so has the rest of the team- dropped passes, receivers not getting off bump and run coverage, really shitty play calling all equate to a team that is in serious trouble and about to go 0-3.

Andy Reid has just as much to blame for this start as McNabb. For the first time in a long time, the team seems underprepared. Reid is a control-freak and the issues with his sons has impacted his prep for this year.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

But hey -- at least for this week, Vick and LaDouchian Tomlinson aren't the biggest douchebags in the NFL. I'm sure LaDouchian will claim his rightful title back soon, though.
Me thinks Dinkdale has penis envy.

As for McNabb, it's probably not the smartest thing he has ever said. I'd chalk it up to too many interviews and the probable frustration that comes with them. Philiy fan may be blue collar but one thing is for sure, they ain't the smartest fans around. Case in point, McNabb is the best thing on their team but they don't have a clue. Sure Donovan hasn't played well, but I'd expect that is mostly rust coming off the injury.

The real problem is Andy Reid and his poor play calling that puts the burden of the offense totally on McNabbs shoulders. His game plan should be the same as when Jeff Garcia was the QB......more running plays and a balanced offense.....end of story. That same phylosphy probably would also reduce the amount of injuries McNabb sustains.

Instead Philly fan is looking for Kolb....good luck with that. Image
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Joe in PB wrote:
But hey -- at least for this week, Vick and LaDouchian Tomlinson aren't the biggest douchebags in the NFL. I'm sure LaDouchian will claim his rightful title back soon, though.
Me thinks Dinkdale has penis envy.

As for McNabb, it's probably not the smartest thing he has ever said. I'd chalk it up to too many interviews and the probable frustration that comes with them. Philiy fan may be blue collar but one thing is for sure, they ain't the smartest fans around. Case in point, McNabb is the best thing on their team but they don't have a clue. Sure Donovan hasn't played well, but I'd expect that is mostly rust coming off the injury.

The real problem is Andy Reid and his poor play calling that puts the burden of the offense totally on McNabbs shoulders. His game plan should be the same as when Jeff Garcia was the QB......more running plays and a balanced offense.....end of story. That same phylosphy probably would also reduce the amount of injuries McNabb sustains.

Instead Philly fan is looking for Kolb....good luck with that. Image

You have comprehension issues, Joe. The Kolb comment was made in response the story about McNabb pulling the race card issue once again. You'll notice I said Kolb would probably suck too but at least we wouldn't hear him complain about the pressures of being black QB.

Everyone knows McNabb is still better than Kolb at this point. However, the way Westbrook played last year with Garcia under center proved HE is the best thing on the team, not #5. The problem, as you correctly pointed out, is the coaches have elected to make Donovan the focal point of the offense instead of Westbrook. Of course Donvan is going to be rusty when it comes to some timing routes but there were some easy throws he should be making that he missed badly and his accuracy has never been phenomenal (even Aikman has pointed this out a few times).

The blame certainly goes around to everyone especially the coaches but Donvan wouldn't be under such a microscope if he wasn't opening his mouth and spewing such bullshit. And your reasoning as to why he said it is complete nonsense b/c it's not the first time he's pulled a race card.

t's in his character to feel like a victim b/c the color of his skin and for him to blame the pressure he feel's to perform at the QB position based on the color of his skin is pure bullshit. Had he actually beat the Patriots in the SB he'd be beloved by the town forever. That's how Philly rolls. You win- you're loved. You suck, we boo. Get over it.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

BBMarley wrote:He has looked like shit these two games-
He won't be right until week 6-7 at the earliest. The thing people aren't mentioning enough about his poor play is how he isn't even close to being 100%. Last year when Palmer came back early from a major knee injury he wasn't right for the first half of the season. McNabb is in a very similar boat right now, because last year people didn't acknowledge the injury to Palmer as much as they should have either.

As for the take about unfair criticism, I do think McNabb doesn't get enough credit for being a top flight QB but the bulk of the criticism comes from moronic Philly fans/media than anything on a national level.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Shine wrote:
BBMarley wrote:He has looked like shit these two games-
He won't be right until week 6-7 at the earliest. The thing people aren't mentioning enough about his poor play is how he isn't even close to being 100%. Last year when Palmer came back early from a major knee injury he wasn't right for the first half of the season. McNabb is in a very similar boat right now, because last year people didn't acknowledge the injury to Palmer as much as they should have either.
Wasn't Palmer's issue he couldn't plant like he wanted to when he threw the ball? That's not McNabb's issue at all. If anything he's planting just fine.. he is putting way too much 'mustard' on this throws (notice he doesn't put may throws on the numbers of his receivers). I wish he would learn to side arm a few throws instead of trying to wing everything.
As for the take about unfair criticism, I do think McNabb doesn't get enough credit for being a top flight QB but the bulk of the criticism comes from moronic Philly fans/media than anything on a national level.
So you agree with Barkley that McNabb is on par with Brady and Manning?
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

jiminphilly wrote: So you agree with Barkley that McNabb is on par with Brady and Manning?
I think those guys are on a different level because they've won rings. I'm biased but I slot Palmer in at #3 in the QB pantheon today. I think McNabb has a legit claim in the discussion for who ranks 4th. Not sure if I'd put him there myself but no question he's in the mix. Dude is a 5 time pro bowler and his 2004 season stacks up against anybody.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Shine wrote:
jiminphilly wrote: So you agree with Barkley that McNabb is on par with Brady and Manning?
I think those guys are on a different level because they've won rings. I'm biased but I slot Palmer in at #3 in the QB pantheon today. I think McNabb has a legit claim in the discussion for who ranks 4th. Not sure if I'd put him there myself but no question he's in the mix. Dude is a 5 time pro bowler and his 2004 season stacks up against anybody.
Agreed on Manning and Brady and even Palmer. No question in my mind that McNabb is capable of being a top 5 and his 2004 season was incredible but that was 1 season. For a veteran QB, he is still inconsistent on his throws and I'm talking about open receivers who he fails to lead or hit in the numbers and that drives fans nuts.

Pro-Bowls mean nothing- they are a popularity contest, at best.

You blame the criticism of McNabb on the local media and fans but wouldn't it make sense that the people who watch him every week, cover him in practice and listen to him talk have the most information to be critical of him? In all honesty, what has McNabb won? The Eagles as a team have been a dominant force in the NFC east but their defense has just as much if not more to do with that sucess than McNabb. On the national stage when it mattered, McNabb choked (and threw up).
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

You blame the criticism of McNabb on the local media and fans but wouldn't it make sense that the people who watch him every week, cover him in practice and listen to him talk have the most information to be critical of him?
Aren't these the same people who were cirtical of and booed Ron Jaworski, Mike Schmidt, Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson and Curt Schilling?

Enough said....philly fan sucks

Nothing personel Jim. Image
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Joe in PB wrote:
You blame the criticism of McNabb on the local media and fans but wouldn't it make sense that the people who watch him every week, cover him in practice and listen to him talk have the most information to be critical of him?
Aren't these the same people who were cirtical/booed Ron Jaworski, Mike Schmidt, Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson and Curt Schilling?

Enough said....philly fan sucks

Nothing personel Jim. Image
Jaworski- better analyst than QB- got to the SB on the legs of Wilbert Montomery. Not even the 3rd or 4th best QB in Eagles history. Took his lumps but now lives in the area and is making a shit load of money of some business ventures in the area... not a great example.
Schmidt- the one player who probably deserved better. Hustled his ass off, is a HOF and won the WS.... of course that was 27 fucking years ago.
Barkley- entertaining guy, hard worker but also a bit of a problem child. Deserved to get booed for his antics. Barkley admitted that his weight became an issue during his days in Philly. Why cheer for a guy who won't take care of himself?
Iverson- hard worker, selfish player, problems off the court- probably the most beloved black athlete in the city the past 10 years. You'd actually be hard-pressed to find a time when he was booed.
Schilling- you're kidding right? The size of his mouth is only eclipsed by the size of is ego.. nevertheless he was loved in the town and fans never wanted to see him go. Again, good luck trying to find a time when he was booed.

Are these the best you can come up with, Joe?
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

Kobe
mvscal wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:Seriously - I think we need a different approach - strong, intelligent, principled, and fresh. Obama seems to fit the bill for me best at this point.
Then you are a fucking fool. Straight up. Obama is the dumbest motherfucker who has ever run for President.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

you guys are fucking kidding, right? reid's teams traditionally start poor the first two weeks and then get better the rest of the season. and next week they are playing the worst 2-0 team in the NFL, the detroit lions, who defeated two horrible junior varsity teams the past two weeks.

the lions will get their shit rocked in philly this weekend. 31-7 at the least.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Screw_Michigan wrote:you guys are fucking kidding, right? reid's teams traditionally start poor the first two weeks and then get better the rest of the season. and next week they are playing the worst 2-0 team in the NFL, the detroit lions, who defeated two horrible junior varsity teams the past two weeks.

the lions will get their shit rocked in philly this weekend. 31-7 at the least.
The Lions are a better team then the Redskins who came into your crib last night and beat you.....
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Neely8 wrote:The Lions are a better team then the Redskins who came into your crib last night and beat you.....
Give me a fucking break, you myopic piece of shit. That's probably the most ignorant statement uttered on this board since SS said "the sec never has to make excuses."

Swallow a shotgun balst.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Neely8 wrote:The Lions are a better team then the Redskins who came into your crib last night and beat you.....
Give me a fucking break, you myopic piece of shit. That's probably the most ignorant statement uttered on this board since SS said "the sec never has to make excuses."

Swallow a shotgun balst.
I am a myopic Patriot fan who thinks the Lions are a decent team? Better look up those big words before you use them shit for brains....

The Lions are decent, and will beat the Eagles this Sunday......
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

the lions beat two of the worst teams in the NFL and have turned the ball over eight times and YOU think they are decent?

pull your head out of your ass before the next time you hit submit.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Shine wrote:
Bwa!

McNabb the 4th best QB? Today?

Nice take, idiot. Maybe you should stick to posting insipidly boring drivel about IU basketball.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Screw_Michigan wrote:the lions beat two of the worst teams in the NFL...
Another CFB idiot flapping his gums about something he knows nothing about.

Cool.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Whitey,

What's with the dorky obsession over discerning between "CFB" and "NFL" posters?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: What's with the dorky obsession over discerning between "CFB" and "NFL" posters?
No obsession Magoo, just sabre rattling and pulling some chains. Worked, didn't it? :wink:

Most of the CFB boys are solid posters.

Screwed is an exception. Dude should at least wipe his feet before stepping in here with that shit.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

The two teams combined for a 10-22 record last year. That's a whole lot of suck.

But go ahead and tell us what we've all been missing. Lay it all out.
Concur. If there's a case to be made on how the Raiders aren't one of the worst teams in the league, I'm all ears.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Sirfindafold wrote:Kobe
What Philadelphia team did he play for again?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

mvscal wrote: The two teams combined for a 10-22 record last year.
Key word = last year. It's a bit early to be determining who the "worst" teams are. Many times teams have gone from worst to first in this league. Tell me you knew.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: Concur. If there's a case to be made on how the Raiders aren't one of the worst teams in the league, I'm all ears.
So by that logic, Dungver must also be one of the worst teams in the league, since the Raiders took them to overtime and should have won.

Seems we have at least half the league right now who then qualify as being the "worst".

Where's a "top 5 and bottom 5" thread when you need it?
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Wagon's right.
You can accurately identify a couple of sure GOOD teams -- New England comes to mind -- but it's too early to say for sure who the true bottom feeders are.

KC looks to be on the fast track though.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Yeah, well, call me Mgo-adamus, but I for one can say for sure Oakland will be a bottom feeder. Anyone willing to challenge me on that?

Didn't think so.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Oakland was a few inches away from a pretty impressive road win at Denver.

I think you'd be singing a different tune if those few inches went the other way.

But think what you will.

I don't agree with you.
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

poptart wrote:I think you'd be singing a different tune if those few inches went the other way.
You mean, like, "Hurt so good?"
Jobocky
Elwood

Post by Jobocky »

Ask Rex Grossman if black QB's get more criticism. Ask Charlie Frey. Ask Jake Plummer. Ask Peyton Manning before he won his Super Bowl. Ask John Elway before he won 2 Super Bowls .... I can go on

Crock of sh*t
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

poptart wrote: KC looks to be on the fast track though.
Lets see what you have to say after the Chiefs absolutely obliterate the Vikes come sunday at home. Stone cold lock of the week.

See, unlike the Black Hole, KC actually has that thing called "home-field advantage", and you of all people should know that.

Never mis-underestimate the influence of 80,000 crazed rednecks.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

War Wagon wrote: Bwa!

McNabb the 4th best QB? Today?

Nice take, idiot. Maybe you should stick to posting insipidly boring drivel about IU basketball.
Checklist for takeless wastes of bandwidth to clog the net with more shit posts:

- laugh at a prior post, check
- throw out ad hominem attacks, check
- don't offer any actual take of your own to refute the claim asserted in post, check

Care to enlighten the board as to why exactly it's laughable to put McNabb in the discussion as the 4th best QB in the league today?? Or would you like to continue on with your track record of 6K and counting worthless posts??
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Shine wrote: Care to enlighten the board as to why exactly it's laughable to put McNabb in the discussion as the 4th best QB in the league today??
Sure thing, bozo the wonder clown. Need you ask?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=QB

Nice 68.3 QB rating for your 4th best QB in the league today.

You sure you want to pursue this any further?
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

So using your "logic" Jeff Garcia, Jake Delhomme and Matt Schaub are better QB's than Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning.

Quit while your behind.