USC vs. NU

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

USC vs. NU

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

What do you guys make of this game? I am curious because I don't follow Nebraska's program at all.

I've been on some of the NU boards and the word of the week seems to be IF.

If we can score early.

If the stadium is loud.

If we throw the ball more than last year.

If SC's injuries get worse.

If if.

I sense a false sense of confidence from their non-if posters, more bluster than conviction.

Me? I think it will be a competitive first half, with three or four scores. In the second half, I think depth and conditioning will simply wear NU down and our history of making adjustments will get the better of Callahan. We've kicked Sam Keller's ass before, and I suspect we'll do it again. He didn't look very good against Wake - at all.

I think the Trojans will win going away - the memory of NU's game a year ago will creep into their players' heads and that will affect the outcome.

Huskerfan, I welcome your thoughts.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I think the Children of the Corn WEAR YOUR ASSES out...

um...well i can dream right...?

I think SC has too much overall speed for the Corn...if SC can contain Lucky then ball game...I am not sold on Keller from his days at ASU and watching some of their games...and honestly Callahan...ugh...

my call

SC 27
NU 10

I think it is like 14 - 10 at 1/2 time...or something to that affect...
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Nebraska's passing game blows.

I look for this game to be similar to the OU-Miami game in the sense that Miami also couldn't throw the ball, and OU was able to stop their one-dimensional offense, while putting up a shitload of points of their own.

I don't think USC will roll up 51 or something on NU in Lincoln, but I think they'll cover, easily.

I'd love to be wrong and see an upset, or even a close game, but I don't think either will happen.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

I think we will do better than last year, no way does BC cop-out with the grind-it-out-and-hope-for-something-good-to-happen offense again. Plus it is in our crib at night. Hopefully we are loud enough to throw-off USC's offense a bit.

But while I think we'll be competitive USC will have to shoot itself in the foot for us to get the W

USC 27
Neb 17
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Where the hell is bradhusker?
GrizBearStare
Elwood

Post by GrizBearStare »

I honestly don't know what it going to happen in this game. The consensus seems to be a competitive first half with SC and a small lead going into the lockerroom. Second half sees SC's superior team speed and depth wear out the Huskers and they pull away, ultimately winning with by a 2-3 TD margin in a relatively low scoring game.

Reasons why I think Nebraska should be more competitive than last year:

-Home game
-Better secondary play
-No Jarrett/Smith for SC

Reasons why I think Nebraska could be more competitive than last year:

-Better running game (I hope)
-Better play calling (I hope)

Bottom line, it's just hard to say. I don't have a real clear idea on what kind of team either one is. I thought the Huskers would be much improved after watching the Nevada game but now I just don't know. USC looked beatable against Idaho but, come on, it's Idaho. They weren't trying.

Fuck it-

Huskers: 38
Men of Troy: 28
From the moment we leave the forest, Dan, it's all a givin' up and adjustin'.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Always take the home dog. Especially under the lights...

except when it's against USC.

SC by 14
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Where the hell is bradhusker?
Indeed. I was hoping to see someone get dryfucked. :brad:
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

not sold on USC as of yet.

They havent made the great half time offensive adjustments since Chow left
The D line and secondary position coaches are horrible, the team didnt get pressure on Idaho with the front 4 and with those studs in the secondary, why cant Seto teach them to turn around and look for the ball, Im tired of watching recievers make a catch when theyre covered well because the Trojan corner never turns around to look for the ball.
Pinkard is done for the year again, who knows if Cushing is going to be able to play, Maualuga is costantly running himself out of position and the team is already a -2 in takeaways.
On Offense baker will need to go the whole game, hopefuly the ribs hold up, O Dowd did fine with Booty under center but Booty needs to be in a shotgun and I dont know if a true freshman center can handle a lot of shotgun snaps in Lincoln. All those tailbacks and none have stepped up, will Washington and Dennis be able to play, will Gable and Johnson be able to handle a big road game, will McKnight be able to hold on to the ball? Will Turner be able to go, will Ausberry be able to make a catch, will Hazleton run the proper routes?
USC has a lot of questions, they looked like crap vs a shitty Idaho team and beat the hell out of eachother again in practice, their positional coaching gets worse every year as guys are constantly being hired by other programs or the NFL

USC 27
Nebraska 13
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

SoCalTrjn wrote:not sold on USC as of yet.

They havent made the great half time offensive adjustments since Chow left
The D line and secondary position coaches are horrible, the team didnt get pressure on Idaho with the front 4 and with those studs in the secondary, why cant Seto teach them to turn around and look for the ball, Im tired of watching recievers make a catch when theyre covered well because the Trojan corner never turns around to look for the ball.
Pinkard is done for the year again, who knows if Cushing is going to be able to play, Maualuga is costantly running himself out of position and the team is already a -2 in takeaways.
On Offense baker will need to go the whole game, hopefuly the ribs hold up, O Dowd did fine with Booty under center but Booty needs to be in a shotgun and I dont know if a true freshman center can handle a lot of shotgun snaps in Lincoln. All those tailbacks and none have stepped up, will Washington and Dennis be able to play, will Gable and Johnson be able to handle a big road game, will McKnight be able to hold on to the ball? Will Turner be able to go, will Ausberry be able to make a catch, will Hazleton run the proper routes?
USC has a lot of questions, they looked like crap vs a shitty Idaho team and beat the hell out of eachother again in practice, their positional coaching gets worse every year as guys are constantly being hired by other programs or the NFL

USC 27
Nebraska 13
\
That is one issue with USC, they do keep losing coaches-Chow, Kiffin, Orgeron-eventually you make hires/promotions that just aren't as good and play suffers. Chow was a genius, best OC/qb-coach you could find, gotta feel the loss of a guy like that. But Carroll is a killer DC/HC and your talent is awesome so I don't think Neb will be able to take enough advantantage of any coaching-shortcomings to get the W.

You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

RadioFan wrote:Nebraska's passing game blows.

I look for this game to be similar to the OU-Miami game in the sense that Miami also couldn't throw the ball, and OU was able to stop their one-dimensional offense, while putting up a shitload of points of their own.

I don't think USC will roll up 51 or something on NU in Lincoln, but I think they'll cover, easily.

I'd love to be wrong and see an upset, or even a close game, but I don't think either will happen.
Yep, that pretty much nails what I'm thinking happens as well.

That said, I'm damn sure gonna' have my skinny ass at home in front of the TV watching it. Here's hoping against hope that the Corn win or just keep it close until late in the 4th so that when they roll into Columbia for this years beatdown they're a Top 10 or 15 team.

Nah... not gonna' happen.

Trojans - 38
Huskers - 17
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

This game will most likely be a turd. I'd like a good game, I'd like an upset. My gut tells me that it will either be a slopfest with SC squeeking by, or a Trojan blowout.

SC is no stranger to bigtime games (if this can be called one). Neb. on the other hand hasn't been in the spotlight for some time. Poise and experience wins this one. If Neb. plays exceptional, they keep it close. Either way it's SC's game.

I'll call my shot...

SC-38
NU-13
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

War Wagon wrote:Trojans - 38
Huskers - 17
Sounds about right.

I was going to say something like

USC: 28
NU: 10

Like you, I will definitely be watching and pulling for Neb, but won't have my hopes up. We'll see.

Big 12 is hoping for fall of USC
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Btw, either way I will be rooting for Cuntsburger to get his second DUI in Lincoln. :wink:
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

USC 27
NEB 10
Bearcat92
Crack Whore

Post by Bearcat92 »

USC 31
NU 14

Huskers keep it close for a half but the Trojans ultimately wear them down like they do to almost every other team they play. USC at Lincoln at night should make for an awesome atmosphere though.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Guys, this one's over before it starts.
Condoms 45
Cornholers 14
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Laxplayer wrote:Guys, this one's over before it starts.
Condoms 45
Cornholers 14
Shut up, damnit. I'll be all into it and stuff, with my drink on, by the time this game starts.

Until USC scores about 2 minutes into the game, or less.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Until USC scores about 2 minutes into the game, or less.
...and again, and again....and again.....and again......
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

Let's just call USC and tell them that they shouldn't bother showing up because Nebraska doesn't have a chance to win. Not possible? Oh, all right. Let's act like adults and actually break down this game instead of having a USC circle jerk that the media seems to be having every year with USC. Is this the 2007 edition of the Greatest Team ever? It's so hard to keep track what with Herbie and company ready to propose to Carrol when they finally get to talk to him. I can't wait for that after game question: "Are you the greatest coach ever?" followed by "Can I kiss your ring?"

I understand why Nebraska isn't being given a chance. They get absolutely no love or respect on ESPN (save for Grandpa Lou drooling over Marlon Lucky's performance in the first game, which ESPN only bothered to show highlights of when they had the Final countdown show). Fowler is a CU alum, so he hates Nebraska. Herbie's friend Pelini got fired by Callahan and screwed over by Pedersen (although being a complete ass to those in authority might have had something to do with it.), so he hates Nebraska with a passion now. Mark May is a raving penis with glasses and a mustache and his brain tells him to make nonsensical statements like "USC can pick the score" without bothering to check the roster of Nebraska because he knows Nebraska. Think I'm paranoid? ESPN goes out of their way to avoid showing a Nebraska highlight whenever possible unless it involves a game that makes Nebraska look bad (see Wake) or Nebraska plays against a ranked opponent. Hell, the Nevada game was the regional game on ABC and it didn't even make the highlights until past midnight.

So let's look at the intangibles that have swung in Nebraska's favor since last year.

Last year Nebraska was without their starting center. This year, Nebraska has an experienced center (same guy, just more experienced).
Last year, the game was in California. This year, the game is Nebraska.
Last year, Nebraska was without Bowman, their best pass defender and starting a green Juco. This year, Bowman is back and that Juco is relegated to a backup roll.
Last year, 5 ft 9 in Grixby had to cover 6ft plus Jarrett, who torched NU for over 100 receiving yards. This year, Jarret is not there and see above for Bowman back.
Last year, Nebraska had no kicker that could boot it out of the end zone on kick offs. This year, they do.
Last year, NU was without a key backup at linebacker (Dillard), with another (Octavian) hobbled. This year, they are healthy.
Last year, NU was very thin at all positions due to injury. This year, they are relatively solid and have gone two deep at every position in both games they've played.
Last year was the first time that NU players had seen the spotlight of playing USC. This year, they already know what that means.

So last year, NU was inexperienced, undermanned at many positions and undersized against the past. This year, they have few of those weaknesses while USC is still looking for key games out of their running backs and their receivers. Yes, their defense is solid.

My feeling is that NU will play with emotion because of the lack of respect. All they have to do is turn on the radio to hear local fans giving them little chance or turn on ESPN to see every guy on there dogging them. The game will be loud (It will have to be).

NU has too many things pointing in a better direction in terms of talent, depth and experience for me to pick a USC blowout. I always feel NU has a chance to win, but in he only blowouts that NU has had at home in the last 5 years were because of lack of size, talent, speed and depth. NU has rectified that. The last team to enter at No 1 into Memorial Stadium lost. I'm hoping it continues.

NU 17, USC 14 and go suck it...
Bearcat92
Crack Whore

Post by Bearcat92 »

Not meant as an attack on you At Large but why is everyone so damned consumed with what ESPN apparently thinks of their team? Why is everyone convinced that ESPN has some kind of grudge against their team? I've got news.......ESPN gives more coverage to the best teams AT THAT TIME. USC is at the top right now and has been for several years. If Texas were at the top, we'd hear about them all the time. Same thing if Michigan were at the top. Thats the way the media works. Most people don't give a shit about Kansas State, Minnesota, North Carolina, or Arizona State when it comes to football. Its simple.....more people want to hear about USC, LSU, or Florida. If you want ESPN to love you, get back into the top 5 and stay there. Those are the teams that get the most attention. I didn't hear all this shit about ESPN being in love with USC until the last few years. Why? Because USC was down before that. ESPN was busy talking about Ohio State, Miami, Florida State and other top 5 programs AT THAT TIME.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I like the Huskers to show up and play with heart. This one will be close.

USC 20
ND 17
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Brad can't come to the phone right now, he's busy working on the time machine that launches him 12 years into the past.

Sin,
Brad's Mother
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
quacker backer
Elwood

Post by quacker backer »

yep
it just aint football season without brad
Terry in Crapchester wrote: But this board doesn't exactly represent reality.
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Post by GreginPG »

Geez At Large, you are bitter.

I just want to hit on a couple of your points. While Jarrett might be gone SC does have Turner (6'5"), Ausberry (6'4"), Hazelton (6'3") so they didn't exactly get smaller.
At least 2 of those guys are faster than #8 was but they are pretty inexperienced. Booty is still throwing the ball to these guys so Grixby will still have his hands full.

As far as your final score prediction? Nebraska would have to hold the Trojans to 14 but I don't see that happening. I think the Trojans would have to turn the ball over
time and again in order for that to happen. NU couldn't hold Wake Forest to 14 so what makes you think this game against SC will be different?
FIGHT ON!
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i think NU covers but loses. NU maybe jumps out to an early lead....but USC controls the rest of the game. 30-22.

in the end defense is the key.

Carroll>Cosgrove.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

At Large wrote:Let's just call USC and tell them that they shouldn't bother showing up because Nebraska doesn't have a chance to win. Not possible? Oh, all right.
Dude, you must have missed Lou Holtz's inspiring "pre-game talk," as if he were coaching the 'Huskers ... during halftime of the WV-Md game.

Veeeerry deep and meaningful.

Sin,

ESPN
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

Bearcat92 wrote:Not meant as an attack on you At Large but why is everyone so damned consumed with what ESPN apparently thinks of their team? Why is everyone convinced that ESPN has some kind of grudge against their team? I've got news.......ESPN gives more coverage to the best teams AT THAT TIME. USC is at the top right now and has been for several years. If Texas were at the top, we'd hear about them all the time. Same thing if Michigan were at the top. Thats the way the media works. Most people don't give a shit about Kansas State, Minnesota, North Carolina, or Arizona State when it comes to football. Its simple.....more people want to hear about USC, LSU, or Florida. If you want ESPN to love you, get back into the top 5 and stay there. Those are the teams that get the most attention. I didn't hear all this shit about ESPN being in love with USC until the last few years. Why? Because USC was down before that. ESPN was busy talking about Ohio State, Miami, Florida State and other top 5 programs AT THAT TIME.
I don't care what ESPN thinks of our team, just as long as they cover them. Several times last year (and including this first game), NU was ranked, beat a good opponent and there was nary a mention of the score, let alone a highlight. This pisses me off because it's one thing to shit on my team, but they are punishing student athletes that have nothing to do with why those guys at ESPN hate them and to have their achievements in certain games be set aside is not fair coverage to them.

Notre Dame isn't ranked, yet they are covered a lot more on ESPN. Florida State has gone through their down years (still are) and they get covered. It has nothing to do with who is ranked, it's who they want to cover...
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

At Large wrote:I don't care what ESPN thinks of our team, just as long as they cover them. Several times last year (and including this first game), NU was ranked, beat a good opponent and there was nary a mention of the score, let alone a highlight. This pisses me off because it's one thing to shit on my team, but they are punishing student athletes that have nothing to do with why those guys at ESPN hate them and to have their achievements in certain games be set aside is not fair coverage to them.

Notre Dame isn't ranked, yet they are covered a lot more on ESPN.
Dude, you should have seen the Lou Holtz's pre-game "speech," during halftime of the WVU-Md game. It was inspiring.

At Large wrote:Florida State has gone through their down years (still are) and they get covered.
Where has FSU been covered?

Jesus, they didn't even run stats for the upcoming FSU-COLO game on the ticker tonight, because neither team is RANKED.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

RadioFan wrote: Dude, you should have seen the Lou Holtz's pre-game "speech," during halftime of the WVU-Md game. It was inspiring.
that was unreal. W.I.N="what's important now" and "i'd rather play USC and not UCLA because it has fewer letters". i'm still not sure that means.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

GreginPG wrote:Geez At Large, you are bitter.

I just want to hit on a couple of your points. While Jarrett might be gone SC does have Turner (6'5"), Ausberry (6'4"), Hazelton (6'3") so they didn't exactly get smaller.
At least 2 of those guys are faster than #8 was but they are pretty inexperienced. Booty is still throwing the ball to these guys so Grixby will still have his hands full.

As far as your final score prediction? Nebraska would have to hold the Trojans to 14 but I don't see that happening. I think the Trojans would have to turn the ball over
time and again in order for that to happen. NU couldn't hold Wake Forest to 14 so what makes you think this game against SC will be different?
Funny how Texas was supposed to walk all over NU last year and yet only managed to score 22.

You mean your receivers are tall? You don't say? ;) The difference is that NU now has taller support back there as most of the DBs are 6ft and above. They've been experimenting with sets like the 3-4-5 on occasion, so expect to see a lot of speed on the field.

As for the holding Wake Forest to 14 points argument, all I can say is that it was a very hot, physical game and NU might have been looking ahead. Wake also ran a lot of misdirection plays with most of their yardage coming on long runs by their receivers. I'm sure they aren't the first team looking ahead to a big game.

Here's an interesting stat. Did you know that Pete Carroll is 2-3 on the road after a two-week layoff?
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

By the way, I'm not bitter. I'm just a little tired of this USC love fest the last several years.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

King Crimson wrote:
RadioFan wrote: Dude, you should have seen the Lou Holtz's pre-game "speech," during halftime of the WVU-Md game. It was inspiring.
that was unreal.
:lol:

It's part of ESPN's "deep-meaning, we're going the extra-mile for you" coverage, I'm sure.
King Crimson wrote:W.I.N="what's important now" and "i'd rather play USC and not UCLA because it has fewer letters". i'm still not sure that means.
What are you talking about, KC? That was some deep, inspirational stuff.

Studio: OK, Lou, Go!

Lou: "Ummn, unh. Notre Dame!"

Studio: "No, Lou, You're talking about being the underdog, as Nebraska."

Lou: "OK, where's my teeth? I've got it now. USC is the underdog and we're trying to beat 'em!"

Studio: "Uh, NO, Lou, you're the coach for NEBRASKA, Lou."

Lou: "Nebraska has a lot of championships. chomp chomp. Let'er roll!"
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

I too am tired of the USC love fest.

Mark May said OU would run all over the Trojans in the 06 Orange Bowl, since then he has been on his knees infront of Tommy Trojan every chance he gets. Right now id put OU and LSU ahead of the Trojans, I think SC may struggle in this game and will certainly struggle later in the year at Cal and Oregon. I dont want the windbags at ESPN blowing these kids heads up and making them feel like they just need to show up.

as much as fans of other teams hate the constant felatio of the Trojans, the trojan fans hate it just as much.

With Cushing out this one will be tough, USC 27- NU 16
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

USC will Win

i hope that "somehow"....the HORSE has a Mishap.

that "Mishap" can happen ANYTIME....FYI.....

remember Animal House? Blanks....Right????

Niedemeyer...DEAD; Marmelarde...DEAD; HORSE--->GLUE!!!!

Fight ON for ELMER's GLue...you Put it on...will STICK For YOU....
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Post by GreginPG »

At Large wrote:Here's an interesting stat. Did you know that Pete Carroll is 2-3 on the road after a two-week layoff?
Yes, yes I did. Carroll likes it though. It's no coincidence that this is the 4th consecutive year I think that the schedule has been done this way with
a bye week after their opening game.
FIGHT ON!
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

GrizBearStare wrote:I honestly don't know what it going to happen in this game. The consensus seems to be a competitive first half with SC and a small lead going into the lockerroom. Second half sees SC's superior team speed and depth wear out the Huskers and they pull away, ultimately winning with by a 2-3 TD margin in a relatively low scoring game.

-Home game
-Better secondary play
-No Jarrett/Smith for SC

Bottom line, it's just hard to say. I don't have a real clear idea on what kind of team either one is. I thought the Huskers would be much improved after watching the Nevada game but now I just don't know. USC looked beatable against Idaho but, come on, it's Idaho. They weren't trying.

Fuck it-

Do you work for ESPN? If not, send in an application and this take. You'll be on the Gameday stage with Herbie and Corso in no time.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

SoCalTrjn wrote:as much as fans of other teams hate the constant felatio of the Trojans, the non-rah-rah trojan fans hate it just as much
fixed and i agree
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

We would never fellate a Trojan. That’d be like eating your sammich while it’s still in the baggie.

Sincerely,

Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
GrizBearStare
Elwood

Post by GrizBearStare »

IndyFrisco wrote:
GrizBearStare wrote:I honestly don't know what it going to happen in this game. The consensus seems to be a competitive first half with SC and a small lead going into the lockerroom. Second half sees SC's superior team speed and depth wear out the Huskers and they pull away, ultimately winning with by a 2-3 TD margin in a relatively low scoring game.

-Home game
-Better secondary play
-No Jarrett/Smith for SC

Fuck it-

Do you work for ESPN? If not, send in an application and this take. You'll be on the Gameday stage with Herbie and Corso in no time.
HEY - it's Friday and the weekend is almost upon us. No need to be an asshole.

All I'm saying is that I don't see how Nebraska can pull this one out. But since my Husker blood won't allow me to readily admit that, I didn't say much of anything at all. Basically, like some others have said, I'm hoping for a miracle. But it's kinda hard to provide any cogent analysis on just how you think that miracle is going to occur.
From the moment we leave the forest, Dan, it's all a givin' up and adjustin'.