Your breakout players

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Your breakout players

Post by TheJON »

Who are the players on your team (maybe an offensive player and a defensive one or special teams) that people across the country don't know about but will have breakout years?

For Iowa I would say on offense I would say our Junior Tight End Tony Moeaki. He has good size, speed and athleticism and has been backing up Scott Chandler the last 2 years. He's primed and ready to become one of the top TE's in the country. He's going to have a big year.

On defense it's gotta be Mitch King our Junior DT. He's had 2 pretty good seasons and is going to take his game to the next level this year. He's undersized but he plays much bigger than he is because of his strength, work ethic, intensity and his speed. Dude has a motor on him! I don't think a spot on an All-American team is out of the question for him.

A couple other possibilities to bust out this year are CB Charles Godfrey, WR Andy Broddell and LT Dace Richardson.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

trendy answer is DeMarco Murray.

I'll go with TE Jermaine Gresham or JUCO LB Mike Reed.

or the big DL RS frosh Gerald McCoy.
Last edited by King Crimson on Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Gabe Carimi. Redshirt freshman, 6’8” 300+ lbs, will probably step right into the slot vacated by Joe Thomas.

James Kamoku on defense, he moved from safety to linebacker.

Badgers return something like 18 out of 22 starters, and they’ll probably be even better than last year, which is saying a lot.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Andrew Quarless - TE...this kid is a talented pass-catching tight end. He's a sophomore who really got going as last year progressed. I see him as the key to the success of PSU's offense. If he can stab defenses in the middle of the field, then PSU will be able to work in the WR talent and find running room. If PSU has even decent offensive ability this year, then they will contend for the conference title, because the defense is stacked and hungry.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Has to be, gotta be,

Ben Olson
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

The Seer wrote:Has to be, gotta be,

Ben Olson
I look for UCLA to have a nice team this year. With so many starters back this is do or die for Dorrall.

The break-out guy for the 'skers better be Marlon Lucky. Dude was an all-world recruit and has yet to show more than glimpses of being a big-time back.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

As for tOSU...

Defense
#50 DE Vernon Gholston - dude is just a freak of nature and should no doubt lead the team in sacks this year
#6 LB Larry Grant - JUCO transfer from last year, after a year in the system I expect him to be on the field a lot

Offense
#28 RB Chris Wells - had some fumbling issues early last season but obviously showed his upside vs. UM
#80 WR Brian Robiskie - great possession receiver but needs to prove he can get open without Ginn/Gonzalez on the field
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Mizzou

offense:
Tony Temple was best rb in country as a frosh in highschool, then hit injuries, then underachieved at MU, then had a breakout last cuple games to end 2006. If healthy, he runs wild with the offense MU has.

Danario alexander should be a big playmaker and game breaker for mU as the 3rd wr. with franlkin and the best te combo in country finding double coverage, he should find seams deep in defenses.

defense
ziggy hood when healthy he helped stop the run, when he went down and came back less than healtyh, teasm ran amuck on MU

Mu linebackers:
if they fill the gaps and make the plays they havent, they could help lead a big season. they are super talented, but injury prone and underachived.
Blueblood
Ren Fairy

Post by Blueblood »

Danimal wrote:

Ben Olson

I look for UCLA to have a nice team this year
It looks like the media has "you" drinkin' the Kool-Aid.... also.

It's as if they only remember the $C game... and forget the "whole" season, as well as the last game of the year against Florida State. You do remember that game???

As far as Cal goes.... this is the most talented team in school history, and it's kinda' tough to pick just one....

If I had to chose just one... it'd be Jahvid Best(the fastest high school player in the country last year... and the 3rd fastest high school kid in the country)

This from Bruce Feldman's....ESPN Insider blog...

From Dennis in NYC:
Is there a sleeper freshman we should be hearing more about?

Feldman: I'll go with Cal TB Jahvid Best. When I was up in Berkeley a few weeks ago, quarterback Nate Longshore raved about Best's speed, saying he was hands down faster than wide receiver DeSean Jackson. Longshore said the only time he'd seen speed like that was when he watched Reggie Bush at USC practices. I hear Best has been really impressive while running back kicks and punts in camp, and he should team with RB Justin Forsett (who, by the way, is a lot bigger in person than I would've expected) to give Cal a dangerous running game.

When you're faster than a guy that runs a 4.29 .... 40.

... and you weigh around 25 pounds more.... you probably end last year with around 3,500 yards rushing and 48 TD's in 1 season of high school football in California.

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Blueblood wrote:Justin Forsett (who, by the way, is a lot bigger in person than I would've expected)

You still got it all in your mouth, right?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Blueblood wrote:
Danimal wrote:

Ben Olson

I look for UCLA to have a nice team this year
It looks like the media has "you" drinkin' the Kool-Aid.... also.

It's as if they only remember the $C game... and forget the "whole" season, as well as the last game of the year against Florida State. You do remember that game???

As far as Cal goes.... this is the most talented team in school history, and it's kinda' tough to pick just one....

If I had to chose just one... it'd be Jahvid Best(the fastest high school player in the country last year... and the 3rd fastest high school kid in the country)

This from Bruce Feldman's....ESPN Insider blog...

From Dennis in NYC:
Is there a sleeper freshman we should be hearing more about?

Feldman: I'll go with Cal TB Jahvid Best. When I was up in Berkeley a few weeks ago, quarterback Nate Longshore raved about Best's speed, saying he was hands down faster than wide receiver DeSean Jackson. Longshore said the only time he'd seen speed like that was when he watched Reggie Bush at USC practices. I hear Best has been really impressive while running back kicks and punts in camp, and he should team with RB Justin Forsett (who, by the way, is a lot bigger in person than I would've expected) to give Cal a dangerous running game.

When you're faster than a guy that runs a 4.29 .... 40.

... and you weigh around 25 pounds more.... you probably end last year with around 3,500 yards rushing and 48 TD's in 1 season of high school football in California.

UCLA has ten starters back on each side of the ball genius. They managed a decent season last year so to they should have a better season this year. Folks tend to focus on the end of the season because that tends to be more indicative of how a team will start the next season. UCLA won their last three regular season games and were leading FSU in the 4th quarter of the bowl before letting that one get away.

Sorry if I let the "media" influence me but I'll take the buttload of power-sets and analysis Phil Steele does over your opinion anyday.

I don't think they'll win the the conference but they should have a nice season, 8-4, not real-nice but nice.
Blueblood
Ren Fairy

Post by Blueblood »

Danimal wrote:

UCLA has ten starters back on each side of the ball genius. They managed a decent season last year
You really don't know what the f...k you're talking about...

Leave the PAC 10..... to those that know.... the conference...

UCLA(has been blocked by PUS and/or RadioFan for blueblood is "the truth")
Last edited by Blueblood on Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

You're typing that in Danimal's direction?

I'm laughing, man.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Blueblood
Ren Fairy

Post by Blueblood »

PSUFAN wrote:
You're typing that in Danimal's direction?

I'm laughing, man.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Blueblood wrote:UCLA(has been blocked by PUS and/or RadioFan for blueblood is "the truth")
Nope.

Try again, this time with a valid url, mensa.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Blueblood
Ren Fairy

Post by Blueblood »

RadioFan wrote:
Blueblood wrote:UCLA(has been blocked by PUS and/or RadioFan for blueblood is "the truth")
Nope.

Try again, this time with a valid url, mensa.
That's funny.... it works everywhere but here...

Not like.... certain "tards" would move threads around, and lie and shit.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

USF

Defense - DE George Selvie (Sophomore) - Selected to Sporting News Freshman All America team. Improved drastically as the season went. Extremely quick speed rusher who is also good against the run (ask Steve Slaton).

Offense - WR Taurus Johnson (Junior) - Became Grothe's go to receiver late in the season and should also be return kickoffs this season. Great route runner with deceptive speed and excellent cut back ability
Dreams......Temporary Madness
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

King Crimson wrote:trendy answer is DeMarco Murray.

KC I don't think that Mike is even going to start now to be honest. I think Lofton has beat him out as far as the coaching staff is concerned. Mike lays a much harder stick to people but Lofton grasps the defense and puts himself in better position to make tackles.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

King Crimson wrote:trendy answer is DeMarco Murray.

KC I don't think that Mike is even going to start now to be honest. I think Lofton has beat him out as far as the coaching staff is concerned. Mike lays a much harder stick to people but Lofton grasps the defense and puts himself in better position to make tackles.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

yeah, i sort of misread "breakout" i think.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Blueblood wrote:
Danimal wrote:

UCLA has ten starters back on each side of the ball genius. They managed a decent season last year

Leave the PAC 10..... to those that know.... the conference...

UCLA(has been blocked by PUS and/or RadioFan for blueblood is "the truth")
I don't know? I'm the the on who can back-up his statements. Can you? I didn't even bother to mention that their mid-season losing streak came after Ben Olsen went down and they had to throw a newbie in. I also didn't bother to mention that UCLA actually had a D last year under their new DC, which is a positive sign. Let's hear your rationale other than "UCLA and Dorrall suck, Tedford and Cal rule, you suck if you don't agree".

UCLA probably won't be a world-beater but they should be a solid squad with some respectable wins. Like I said I'll predict 8-4.

By the way, eat a dick.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Offense
RB - Antone Smith
WR - Preston Parker

Defense
DE - Everett Brown
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Danimal wrote:
I don't think they'll win the the conference but they should have a nice season, 8-4, not real-nice but nice.
THAT should get Dorrell fired.*

If not at least 11-1 going into the SuC game, major disappointment....

*Kind of a shame; we belong to the same Country Club....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

USC
Offense
David Ausberry
Patrick Turner
Stanley Havili
Vidal Hazleton
Stafon Johnson

Deffense
Kyle Moore
Fili Moala
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Adelpiero wrote:Mizzou

offense:
Tony Temple was best rb in country as a frosh in highschool, then hit injuries, then underachieved at MU, then had a breakout last cuple games to end 2006. If healthy, he runs wild with the offense MU has.
he was the best rb in the country as a frosh in high school. how do you document this claim? he needs Pinkel to give him the ball in the 4th quarter....not throw up 3 and outs so teams like Oregon State don't have to call TO's when coming from behind.

that was one of the most baffling pieces of "clock management" i've ever seen.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

For ND . . .

Offense: David Grimes. Spent the last few seasons in the shadows of Samardzija, Stovall and McKnight. He should be the #1 wideout this season, and unless he's drawing lots of double coverage, he could have a big year.

Defense: David Bruton. He finally got a chance to play in the Sugar Bowl after Ndukewe got hurt, and from what he showed in that game, he should've been playing a lot more last season. Having said that, ND is going to an entirely different defensive scheme this season, so picking out a breakout player on that side of the ball is something of a crapshoot.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Believe the Heupel wrote:If OU can find a QB, Malcolm Kelly could jump into the national perception pretty quickly.

Ryan Reynolds on defense. No, not that one.
You know I agree partially with this statement but lets consider what the quarterback situation looked liked last year at this time as compared to now coming into the season.

I'm more worried about our DEs than at QB.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Anthony Alridge of Houston

Rushed for 959 yards on only 95 carries with 8 TDs. And he was the 2nd string back. Now that Battle has moved on to the pros, look for Alridge to have a breakout season as he will most likely get 15-20 carries a game and his 4.26 speed should enable him to have more breakout runs like he did last year.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

For the Sooners...

(And I'd like to put a disclaimer on this... I no longer live 1/2 a mile from the stadium. I live 3 1/2 hours away. (Better opportunity, even if it's a REALLY sh*tty town...) So, I'm going off of what I've seen as lately as possible, what I've heard, and what I've been told.)

Offense:

- Whoever wins the QB battle. Currently it's Bradford. But, we'll see. Regardless, it's going to be one of the first really hotly contested QB battles we've had in a long time, and there won't be any free Bomar passes either. If you're not The Man (wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo) you won't be The Man.
- Demarco Murray is the trendy answer because he's a badass. Not because he's trendy. I'm going to tack on a couple of the guys moving piles for him though... Phil Loadholt (6-8, 350) and Duke Robinson (6-5, 330) could be, uh... "impressive."
- If he doesn't redshirt... Tyler Stradford.

Defense:

- If it's possible for an existing badass to still have a "breakout" year, look for Reggie Smith to do just that.
- Austin Box.
- Either Marcus Walker or DJ Wolfe. I don't think that all three of them (Reggie Smith) will have great years, and with these two, it's probably one or the other. If Wolfe can stay in position and learn to stick, then maybe it's him... If Walker can keep from biting on fakes, and can stay with, and bring down, larger WR's, then maybe it's him. They both have the potential to be great players, and to drive me to rip out all of my hair and get back on the Natural Light train... I'm rooting for the former.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Skull I am hearing that Box will likely redshirrt this season but he is going to be a monster!!!
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

Cicero wrote:Offense
RB - Antone Smith
WR - Preston Parker

Defense
DE - Everett Brown
How about Drew Weatherford? Xavier Lee? Christian Ponder?

Jesus, if we are depending on Preston Parker to "break out" more than our QB's...we are in some deep shit trouble.

Is he even going to start? Greg Carr and Decody Fagg are the WR's that better produce.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Offense:
I am going to go with James Aldridge and Robbie Parris. Travis Thomas will start the year at RB, but I think Aldridge will be getting the lions share of the carries. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Demetrius Jones step forward and take the QB job.

Defense:
Justin Brown will start at DE and Bruton will be the starter at FS. If they don't have breakout years, ND's defense will continue to struggle.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

Killian,

What's the word on Luke Schmitt? I heard that he was running with the first team from his cousin. You hearing anything?
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

TheChief wrote:
Cicero wrote:Offense
RB - Antone Smith
WR - Preston Parker

Defense
DE - Everett Brown
How about Drew Weatherford? Xavier Lee? Christian Ponder?

Jesus, if we are depending on Preston Parker to "break out" more than our QB's...we are in some deep shit trouble.

Is he even going to start? Greg Carr and Decody Fagg are the WR's that better produce.
It is a sad day when you are making me defend ciceroo.
TheJON wrote:Who are the players on your team (maybe an offensive player and a defensive one or special teams) that people across the country don't know about but will have breakout years?
People know about XLee, Weatherford, Carr, and Fagg. Ponder isnt going to play.

I got to agree with ciceroo on this one, cheif.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

LOL! Fucking shit. I heard that, I can't read.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

if yer name was Decody Fagg i bet you were the toughest kid on the playground by 7th grade.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

TheChief wrote:Killian,

What's the word on Luke Schmitt? I heard that he was running with the first team from his cousin. You hearing anything?
He was in the spring due in large part to Asaph Schwapp's injury. Schwapp is back and is the starting FB, but Schmidt should see some time. He's learning how to be a FB and block, but he will be a weapon out of the backfield.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK