john chaney

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

The Assassin
Raider Fan

john chaney

Post by The Assassin »

Is he turning into JoePa? dudes losing his grip on reality! Sending "goons" out there to give St joes hard fouls? Granted he suspended himself for the next game,but come on. I think he should consider stepping down soon.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

When is tha last time Temple made the sweet 16?
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Dude had to be restrained from beating down Calipari in a presser years back, so it isn't like this is the first time he let the heat of the moment get to him.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

He did have a legit beef about the illegal screening that was going on. Classic that he called his own player a "goon".
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls wrote:Classic that he called his own player a "goon".
That is pretty funny. I don't follow Temple too closely...does that guy get regular playing time or was he just brought for the purpose hacking the crap out of the St. Joe's players?
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:That is pretty funny. I don't follow Temple too closely...does that guy get regular playing time or was he just brought for the purpose hacking the crap out of the St. Joe's players?
He brought him in to hack and said as much. Saw one clip where the "goon" flat out mauled a St. Joe's player driver to the hoop.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

Heard Phil Martelli on the radio this morning....he did a good job being diplomatic about it, but basically he though Chaney should be suspended for more than one game (Chaney's self administered penalty) and he thought the kid from Temple should be out for as long as his player is out.....which is the rest of the year - and the kid is a senior.

Either Temple or the A-10 need to step up and drop the hammer on Chaney for this one. He may in fact be losing it...a couple of weeks ago he went on an anti-George Bush rant at a sportswriter's dinner.

That incident with Calipari was 11 years ago - but it really doesn't seem that long ago.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

Chaney suspended for the rest of the season by Temple.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

helmet wrote:
That incident with Calipari was 11 years ago - but it really doesn't seem that long ago.
Wow, 11 years ago. I totally agree does not seem that long ago.
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

helmet wrote:Chaney fired byTemple.

Will be the next headline we read.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

My only problem with this suspension is that it seems like it took a serious injury to come of it before more serious action was taken. Even if the St Joes kid escaped unscathed, Chaney should have been out the rest of the season. You simply can't let something like that go down.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Shine wrote:My only problem with this suspension is that it seems like it took a serious injury to come of it before more serious action was taken. Even if the St Joes kid escaped unscathed, Chaney should have been out the rest of the season. You simply can't let something like that go down.
Exactly...the injury forced the hand of Temple to do something. One game isn't going to cut it.

Is the suspension just for the regular season or will he be eligible of the A-10 tournament?
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

It's only for the last 3 regular season games. He'll be on the sidelines for the A-10 tourney from what I've read
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Cueball wrote:It's only for the last 3 regular season games. He'll be on the sidelines for the A-10 tourney from what I've read

That's garbage...if Bryant misses the rest of the season, Chaney should miss the rest of the season. Temple has no shot to get into the tournament unless they win the A-10 tourney but this conduct can't go on without a stiff penalty. St. Joe's is on the bubble right now and losing a member of their rotation could affect their chances down the stretch.

The actual hit didn't injure Bryant as much as the landing onto the floor but the fact that Chaney put the wheels in motion for this to happen, he needs to be out the rest of the season and be monitored closely from now on. He's not on par with Bobby Knight but he's had a few bizarre and disturbing moments for sure.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

The question was raised - is he becoming JoePa? The answer is no - Temple acted against him. You're not going to see PSU act against Joe, even if he deserves it (which he has, several times IMO).
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

PSUFAN wrote:The question was raised - is he becoming JoePa? The answer is no - Temple acted against him. You're not going to see PSU act against Joe, even if he deserves it (which he has, several times IMO).

actually I meant that as his teams are declining,and that the game has passed him by.

But you're right,PSU wouldn't dare discipline JoePa.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Shoalzie wrote:He's not on par with Bobby Knight
Yeah, Knight has 3 rings.

Since you're clearly talking "other" stuff, I'd love to hear it. I haven't gotten to debunk a Knight falsehood in quite some time now.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Chaney benched himself for the A10 tourney- There is a post in main st where I called for him to be fired. I'm still not convinced that he knows what he did wrong. I think he's caving to public pressure.

He has severe anger issues and I think it's time for him to go..the university has been very quiet on this issue so I doubt they'll fire him.

Posted on Tue, Mar. 01, 2005

By MIKE KERN

kernm@phillynews.com

JOHN CHANEY said he was going to use the time off to "take inventory of himself."

He didn't take long to make good on his promise.

So, 5 days after the Temple coach gave himself a one-game suspension for his actions in last Tuesday's home game against Saint Joseph's, and 3 days after the university added another two games to that penalty, the Basketball Hall of Famer again took it upon himself to take the next step. The one step most observers thought was the only one that made any sense.

Chaney took himself out of coaching in the Atlantic 10 Tournament, which begins March 9 in Cincinnati.
It still might not be enough for some people. In no way can it undo a terrible mistake, which he repeatedly has acknowleged and apologized for. The mistake probably will cost Hawks senior forward John Bryant the rest of his season with a fractured right forearm.

Bryant, a co-captain, was hurt after Temple's Nehemiah Ingram, on orders from Chaney to give hard fouls, knocked him to the floor midway through the second half in Tuesday's game at the Liacouras Center.

If Bryant wasn't going to be available for the tournament, Chaney concluded that he shouldn't be on the court helping his team, either.

"In view of the circumstances, I believe the fair thing is for me not to coach during the Atlantic 10 ... Tournament," he said in a statement released yesterday afternoon that took everyone by surprise.

Chaney did not make himself available for comment last night, which isn't like him.

On Sunday morning, he met on the St. Joe's campus with Bryant and Bryant's parents, who were in town from their Woodbridge, Va., home to see their son honored as a member of St. Joe's athletic director's honor roll. Bryant is pursuing a master's in business administration.

The meeting, according to a St. Joe's source, went "just OK." The same person said the family is "very hurt, very frustrated and angry."

Whether that played any part in Chaney's decision, only he can say.

Another St. Joe's source said the Bryants' impression was that Chaney was sorry for what happened, but not for what led up to it.

The day before the game, Chaney had gone on the weekly A-10 conference call and said he was upset with the officiating in the Feb. 12 loss to St. Joe's at the Palestra. He said St. Joe's was setting illegal screens that weren't getting called and vowed to do something about it if it continued.

After the game, he said he'd do it again if he thought it was necessary.

How much of this is frustration over the fact that St. Joe's has won six straight over the Owls is anybody's guess.

Chaney apologized the next day, and imposed a one-game suspension on himself. The situation changed Thursday, when it was revealed after medical testing that Bryant had suffered a fracture. The schools, with help from A-10 commissioner Linda Bruno, settled upon an additional two-game suspension on Friday.

And now, a further solution. The obvious question is, why did it get done in stages?

"It's like a work in progress, when you start to think about all the pieces that go together," Bruno, who has taken her share of hits over this, said last night. "I think a number of people thought this is what ultimately should have happened, and John was one of them.

"He knows that what he did was unacceptable, not just to the schools, and our conference, but to all of college basketball. And that's not even a strong enough word. It can't be tolerated. And he's sending the message that he won't tolerate it himself.

"If we get to the same place, it really doesn't make a difference how we got there. The bottom line is, we got to the right place. It's all that should matter. People think this should happen, or that should happen. We're where we should be. That's what's important.

"Now we can focus on the tournament. It would have been a distraction for everyone. That's unfortunate at this time of year. You can talk about how long is enough, or any number of things. As the weekend unfolded, and more people took stock of the situation, I think there was a lot of agreement that this was the appropriate response."

In Chaney's absence, Temple will continue to be coached by top assistant Dan Leibovitz, with Bill Ellerbee and Mark Macon by his side. The Owls beat Massachusetts at home Saturday afternoon, in Leibovitz's first game as a head coach at any level. They're at Rhode Island tomorrow night. Chaney will continue to attend practice.

Chaney's statement indicates he will be back on the bench if the Owls (14-11) reach either the NCAA Tournament or the National Invitation Tournament. They haven't made the NCAA field since 2001 and would have to win the A-10 Tournament to make it this season. They have been in the NIT the last 3 years.

It also seems apparent that Chaney, 73, intends to return as Temple's coach next season, if not longer, as long as the university still wants him. There has been no indication from athletic director Bill Bradshaw, who was also unavailable for comment, or president David Adamany, that the school would rather have him depart.

On yesterday's A-10 call, St. Joe's coach Phil Martelli understandably, and respectfully, declined to participate. Whether he'd been told not to say anything isn't certain.

Last night, a St. Joe's source said: "I think that one of the things I'm thankful about is people are continuing to monitor and discuss this... We're headed in the right direction."

There is speculation that St. Joe's still could be upset that Ingram has not been suspended and could play against them in the A-10 tourney. The Hawks and Temple would not meet until the title game on March 12. Ingram, a seldom-used sub, did play against UMass.

On Saturday, St. Joe's released a statement that said it was "encouraged" by the steps being taken to resolve this matter.

"We stand on [that]," St. Joe's athletic director Don DiJulia reiterated. "We're concerned about the Bryant family."

According to St. Joe's sources, St. Joe's officials were said to have thought Chaney's earliest apologies rang hollow. And they were adamant that he apologize publicly. Chaney didn't think that was necessary, since he'd already issued a statement. Once he heard about Bryant's arm, Chaney apparently agreed.

Yesterday, he said he had apologized from his heart. Then, he made a decision with his head.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

Shine wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:He's not on par with Bobby Knight
Yeah, Knight has 3 rings.

Since you're clearly talking "other" stuff, I'd love to hear it. I haven't gotten to debunk a Knight falsehood in quite some time now.
Yeah, that's 'cause we all gave up on you being able to see the world without your Bobby Knight Secret Spy glasses on "quite some time ago." Oh, and your use of the word "falsehood."

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

jiminphilly wrote:Chaney benched himself for the A10 tourney- There is a post in main st where I called for him to be fired. I'm still not convinced that he knows what he did wrong. I think he's caving to public pressure.
He should have been fired. There is a huge double standard in firing a Bobby Knight and not firing Cheney. Yes, the Knight incident is vastly different from Cheney, but Cheney has a history of a bad temper, as does Knight, and he sent his guy out there to physically take players far beyond the rules.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MuchoBulls wrote: he sent his guy out there to physically take players far beyond the rules.
agree.

i've always sort of liked or at the very least repected Chaney's teams. they play hard, and play defense. Schooled the hell out Sampson's second OU team in the NCAA. Temple and OU could have played for a week and OU might not have broke 50 against the zone. but, I'm with Mucho, that's outside the spirit of competition and sport, IMHO. at least as it should be in basketball.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

The fact remains, the man cannot be trusted. It is a shame he has tainted his legacy and that this will be what most people remember when they hear his name. He has done many great things for college basketball. He needs to go, not only for the good of the game, but for the health of his own players as well as opponents. This mess could have easily ended up in a Pacers/Pistons style fiasco. There’s no place for this in sports, especially college sports.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

the_ouskull wrote: Yeah, that's 'cause we all gave up on talking facts about matters with you as they don't jive with our pre-conceived and media agreed upon view of the man "quite some time ago."

the_ouskull
Yep, that sounds about right.