Any Jazz Aficionados?

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Any Jazz Aficionados?

Post by atomicdad »

I'm not, but I appreciate good music performed by good musicians. I'm going to a conference this summer in late June to Ottawa. During my stay 25th-30th, the Ottawa Jazz festival is going on, with several venues within walking distance to my hotel. Take a scan at the schedule, Ottawa Jazz Festival 2007 ,who looks like they would be worth throwing down a few bucks on to go see.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Branford Marsalis

Pink Martini is local (local to me, huge international act). Tix to their shows sell faster than the machines can print them. Very good.

You'll generally get a decent effort from anyone named Neville.

I'll bet some of the others are pretty darn deece, too...these are just acts I've seen and were somewhere between prety good and excellent.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

I agree on the Neville Brothers. I saw them a few years back at a small outdoor venue down here, very good show. I definately will try to catch them again on the Friday night.
Billdong
Elwood

Post by Billdong »

2nd Brantford Marselis..

Dave Brubeck

Bill Frizell - jazz guitar

Seu jorge - writer/composer of songs in Steve Zissou movie
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

I could go to the reading comprehension card, but I won't go down that road. I'm only going to be there the nights of 25th - 29th. Thanks for the suggestions though. I sure all the acts are pretty good or they wouldn't be there.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Willie Green, drummer for the Nevilles, is superhuman. He could tour with Raffi and make him sound good
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Speaking of festivals, they have some tenative lineups for the Waterfront Blues Festival.

The Neville Brothers * Koko Taylor * Joan Armatrading * Pinetop Perkins * Marcia Ball * The Dirty Dozen Brass Band * Voice of the Wetlands Allstars (Tab Benoit, Cyril Neville, Anders Osborne, Johnny Sansone) * Eric Burdon and the Animals * Savoy Brown * Steve Lucky and the Rhumba Bums * Carey and Lurrie Bell * JJ Grey and Mofro * Watermelon Slim ... Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks

Always one of my favorite things on the 4th of July weekend.

Is it summer yet?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

OK...there is one with Da' Hood reprezentin.

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

where's strawberry canyon? ;)
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

We're busy celebrating our 20th consecutive National Blues Championship.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Dinsdale wrote:We're busy celebrating our 20th consecutive National Blues Championship.
if you mean blues for white upper-middle class baby boomers, i agree. heh.

anyway, for jazz people. if you want to hear some real cool semi-contemporary shit: check out Ken Vandermark.

and, Dewey Redman (RIP) is always "the man".

to the topic, i saw Wynton Marsalis a few years back and was pretty skeptical of his "standards" approach to the music.....but it was a really good show. straight ahead. helluva lot better than a very average Sonny Rollins show i overpaid for a Valentine's date......with a former gf. God Bless Sonny Rollins, but him rapping was not all that great.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

King Crimson wrote:if you mean blues for white upper-middle class baby boomers, i agree.

Yeah, nothing screams "white upper-middle class" like Buddy Guy, Keb Mo, Ike Turner, Taj Majal, The Blind Boys of Alabama, and a bunch of dudes named Neville...and goodness knows who else. Those are just ones that popped into mind that I've seen over the last few years.

It's not limited strictly to blues, and has had Eric Johnson, Little Feat, Steve Miller, and Los Lobos in the mix. Karl Denson's Tiny Universe was quelle deece. And the North Mississippi All Stars always rock.

There is a strong hippy-turned-yuppie-turned snob element to it, to be sure. But mostly aging hippies.

Nevermind that in some recent years, as many as 8 of the 10 best selling R&B albums have been produced in Portland. Terry Robb (as white a dude as you'll ever find) is THE MAN when it comes to producing R&B. Hell, I can go see accomplished blues acts 7 nights a week, if I'm so inclined. At more than one bluesbar, although I think they just closed down Hopper's, probably the best one, but those acts will find a new venue, since even the old-timer bluesmen/women see playing regularly as part of the "suffering" they feed on.

On a related note -- RIP, Paul Delay. The Blues Festival won't be the same without the Fat Man.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i live in Boulder, CO. and you know who goes to see Taj Mahal, Buddy Guy (sadly, we never get a real BG show here....'cause he knows it), and the Nevilles.....?

aging hippies with 401k's and kids going to Brown next year.

"white upper middle class". Portland ain't that diff.

Buddy Guy (arguably the greatest living blues guitarist) was still driving a tow truck in Chicago until music fans (probably post Stevie Ray Vaughn) "re-discovered" him for the baby boomers.

there are summer festivals all over the south/southwest that are equal or not better than the portland one.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

King Crimson wrote:
"white upper middle class". Portland ain't that diff.

Thanks, Marcus. The Whitest Major US City is known for having lots of white people.

there are summer festivals all over the south/southwest that are equal or not better than the portland one.
"...the crown jewel of blues fests. What a deal! World-class blues, all in support of a worthy cause." -- Phil Chestnut, Blues to Do.

"With its woods and mountains, Oregon is know for how green it is. But in July, the state's largest city gets the blues....Blues lovers from near and far crowd the banks of the Willamette River to drink a brew or two and listen to the blues world's best performers jam and sing from the soul." -- Typh Tucker, Associated Press

"Portland is a very soulful city....and because it's soulful, blues is respected there." -- Charlie Musselwhite (veteran of Multiple Waterfront Bluesfests)

"The Waterfront Blues Festival is one of the most exciting festivals I've played. Professionally run and organized. It's great to be part of it." -- tromobonist Randy Oxford

Gee, and all the people who actually seem to know what they're talking about seem to think it's become the Grandaddy of all blues festivals...go figue. Not like hundreds of thousands of people come through the gates(where it used to be $5 and two cans of food to get in...I think it's $8 now...bastards) on a holiday weekend, and every hotel room anywhere near downtown is booked months in advance.

Did I mention that in one year, 8 of the top ten R&B bestsellers were made in Portland?

Tonight, I could go see Jim Mesi, Mel Brown, or Terry Robb(who sports a roomfull of grammy awards)...all blues artists of considerable acclaim. And it's a weeknight. There's a couple of other places with the small-timers playing, too, but with choices like that(most of the blues bars don't charge cover), why would anyone want to go to a small timers show, when folks like BB King or Buddy Guy might just be sitting in the audience to go hang with Mesi or Terry Robb?

I could also go see 2 Live Crew or Blonde Redhead, but I think I'll pass.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

you don't know how you prove my point.

you ever been to an all-night blues club in the rural south? like DC Minner's joint in Rentiesville, Oklahoma?

no, you quote whitey baby boomer blues people in clubs. and call it hip or "acclaim".

Portland is a cool town, but the way you buttfuck yourself in it's name is kinda hilarious.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

King Crimson wrote:you ever been to an all-night blues club in the rural south? like DC Minner's joint in Rentiesville, Oklahoma?

Ever think maybe there's a reason why some acts make it out of rural clubs and hit the national circuit?
no, you quote whitey baby boomer blues people in clubs.
You've got this strange notion that white people aren't allowed to ply the blues. Newsflash -- many who have chosen to do so, have risen to the top of their profession and excelled at it.

Portland is a cool town, but the way you buttfuck yourself in it's name is kinda hilarious.

Uhm...does the word "schtick" mean anything to you? You ain't the sharpest tack in the bulliten board, are ya, King?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

nice try dins. which is it: me missing the schtick or you arguing like a bitch fo' whitey town?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Well thought out response, King.

BTW -- Any recommendations for Atomic Dad? I actually gave some, to the best of my ability(firsthand accounts, no less), before I went into full-on hijack mode.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

as well thought out as you whoring for the "national circuit"....as proof of something.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Well here's the deal...I don't give a fuck what you think. And I will continue to attend and enjoy the Waterfront Blues Festival, along with all the people who travel here to attend, and the few black folks here that aren't too busy seeing 2 Live Crew...all 12 of them.

Matter of fact, I might even go with my buddy's mom, as I have in the past(she often tries to set me up with her slutty young coworkers...RACK her). And you know what? She's from Strawberry Freaking Canyon, AND she's got a masters from...Kal.

Sorry bud, you just ain't stepping to that BODE. I have already won the 2007 Blues Festival National Championship, and playing the games bands is just a formality at this point.

True about my Cal-grad "date"-btw
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Dinsdale wrote:

BTW -- Any recommendations for Atomic Dad? I actually gave some, to the best of my ability(firsthand accounts, no less), before I went into full-on hijack mode.
see my post about Ken Vandermark and Dewey Redman. both jazz musicians, if you want to call thread title smack.
Last edited by King Crimson on Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Dinsdale wrote:Well here's the deal...I don't give a fuck what you think. And I will continue to attend and enjoy the Waterfront Blues Festival, along with all the people who travel here to attend, and the few black folks here that aren't too busy seeing 2 Live Crew...all 12 of them.

Matter of fact, I might even go with my buddy's mom, as I have in the past(she often tries to set me up with her slutty young coworkers...RACK her). And you know what? She's from Strawberry Freaking Canyon, AND she's got a masters from...Kal.

Sorry bud, you just ain't stepping to that BODE. I have already won the 2007 Blues Festival National Championship, and playing the games bands is just a formality at this point.

True about my Cal-grad "date"-btw
fuck em blind Dins, i just hope they ain't chiming in the wind.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

King Crimson wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

BTW -- Any recommendations for Atomic Dad?
see my post about Ken Vandermark and Dewey Redman.

So, you're recommending that Atomic Dad go see a dead guy? If we're working within those parameters, and not talking about....oh, I dunno...the show AD started a thread asking recommendations for...

Then I'd definitely have to recommend going to check out a live Jimi Hendrix show.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

that would be a helluva rec. just like you taking his ottawa jazz thread into a portland blues one.

good night dins.

jazz people: ken vandermark, dewey redman. YWIA.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

King Crimson wrote: his ottawa jazz thread ..dewey redman

Uhm...he's not playing at the ottowa jazz dealio.

You're really not catching on here...I kinda think he was looking for recommendations THAT HE COULD GO SEE AT THE FESTIVAL. Hence the link he provided and stuff.

Jumpin jiminy
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Dinsdale wrote:

You're really not catching on here...I kinda think he was looking for recommendations THAT HE COULD GO SEE AT THE FESTIVAL. Hence the link he provided and stuff.

Which festival? the one in Portland for which you are sucking yourself or the one he queried about?
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

Holy Hijack Batman....

Hell, i've been sick as a dog the last few days, mid-day Thursday I felt as if I was well on my way to see JGB again.