Double sunsets, via Tatooine more common ...

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Double sunsets, via Tatooine more common ...

Post by RadioFan »

So says NASA and jpl, anyway:
Star Wars'-Type Double Sunset Might Be Possible

The double sunset that Luke Skywalker gazed upon in the film "Star Wars" might not be a fantasy.

Now playing at http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/videos/spitzer/spitzer20070329/ is a video comparing the double sunsets of the "Star Wars" planet, Tatooine, with recent findings by NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope. The telescope found signs that planetary systems around double stars are at least as common as they are in single-star systems like ours. This suggests the universe could be packed with planets that have two suns. Sunsets on some of those worlds would resemble the ones on Tatooine.
------------------

Not only do they say it's "possible," but the claim in the video is binary stars may outnumber single ones, like our own sun.

I wonder if Copernicus' equivalent had to double his efforts amid idiots twice as convinced "the world" was the center of the universe, 1.6 ~ gigabillion light years from here.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

That's no moon. It's a space station.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

What happens when we find out it's "possible" that our sun may be part of a Binary Star Solar System because we are to little and stupid as to think on such a small scale when it pertains to "The Universe." Somewhere our Sun could be a first, second or may be even a third segments of some random alien planet's actual sunset.

Think big.....
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Only in a parellel universe.

I'm fairly certain we've been around our own Sun, with space vehicles, several times, given that we've needed planets to help slingshot them into the outer solar system.

If there was a binary star lurking out there in our own solar system, we'd have found it by now. If by nothing else, the gravity of "another sun" fucking up most every outer solar system probe we've ever launched.

Oh, and not to mention that the Earth only has one sunset. There is that.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

If there was a binary star lurking out there in our own solar system, we'd have found it by now.

You give the North Star no props?
It may not have the "Bode" our Sun has, but it's always been there for us

Think Big!

BIG!
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

I wonder how many of you fucks, on this thread, this late, are stoned...

In.

...and in response to the thread: the closest star to Earth is Proxima Centauri at about 4.6 light years away. Our sun is seven light minutes away, and if we were any closer, we'd be toast... any further, we'd be frozen. I'm pretty sure that, if there's another sun, especially a binary one, within 4.6 light years, we'd have seen it by now.

It'd be nice to see that Star Wars sunset and all, playing cards with Chewbacca, Greedo, Han-Solo, and Mike Matasow in the background, but it's not happening within a lifetime's travel for any of us... so who gives a fuck? Fuck the nice shit that other species have.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Y2K wrote:You give the North Star no props?
Polaris isn't a binary star to our sun. It's 430 light years away, bro., not to mention Thuban.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

and--Polaris is not always the "North Star" due to
the precession of the equinoxes--- you can look it up
if you are so inclined !
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

I see double sunsets all the time.

Sincerely,
Atomic Puke
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

RACK Jack
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
RedHerring
Elwood

Post by RedHerring »

Redemption!! now my Dad will have to talk to me again....

Signed....

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke