Totally random thoughts 3/14/07

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Totally random thoughts 3/14/07

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Apparently, I know nothing aboot hockey... link

So the Red Wings are the best team in the league? Well they have the best record.. again. Whatever happened to the whole parity in the NHL thing? It seems like this year the disparity between good and awful teams in the NHL is even greater than before. Phoenix, Florida, Chicago, Washington, Philly, LA, and Edmonton are pretty f'n bad. Ast least as bad as any pre lockout teams.

Speaking of Chicago, last year was the first in the last 10 that I never made the roadie to Chicago for a Wings/Hawks matinee. It's not like that depresses me. The Wings usually spank the Hawks at home, and on top of it the United Center is always full of red and white jerseys.

I'm a wikepia hater but....
William W. ("Dollar Bill") Wirtz (born October 5, 1929 in Detroit, Michigan) is the chief executive officer and controlling shareholder of the family-owned Wirtz Corp.

Wirtz Corp. is most notable as owner of the Chicago Blackhawks; Wirtz Realty, a large real estate owner in Chicago; and Judge & Dolph Ltd., a major liquor distributor selling over 33% of all liquor in Illinois. It also has interests in banking and insurance. Wirtz also co-owns the United Center with Jerry Reinsdorf. Crain's Chicago Business in 2004 estimated the company's 2003 revenues as US$1.3 billion. Overall, it is estimated that Wirtz's holdings (including stock in several companies, including Alberto-Culver and Firstar Bank) are worth about US$3-4 billion.

Wirtz has a reputation for stubbornness and frugality. He is vilified by Blackhawks fans for forbidding Blackhawks home games to be shown on TV and for allowing Bobby Hull to leave the Blackhawks. Wirtz is also blamed for the loss of both Dominik Hasek and Ed Belfour, the sacrilegious trade of Chris Chelios to Detroit (In actuality, Chelios asked to be traded and gave approval to then-General Manager Bob Murray when told Detroit was the most interested team), the lopsided trade of Jeremy Roenick and lastly the 1967 trade of a young Phil Esposito. Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita are so embittered by Wirtz's cheapness that they will have nothing to do with the franchise. Wirtz is also blamed for the Blackhawks Stanley Cup drought, which is the longest in the NHL and the longest in team history.[1]

Under the ownership of Wirtz, the Chicago Blackhawks were named by ESPN as the worst franchise in sports [2].

ESPN has ranked Wirtz as the 3rd greediest owner in all of sports.

Wirtz was inducted into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame in 1985. He has five children and seven grandchildren.

Wirtz was given the nickname "Dollar Bill" by Chicago Tribune columnist Bob Verdi as a sarcastic reference to his frugality in compensating his players.
The Blackhawks, also, do not televise home games unless they are sold out.

Why was Ryan Smyth so shocked that he got traded? The Oilers have a reputation for dealing away players that play hardball with them. If he wanted to be an Oiler that badly he should have STFU and had his agent get a deal done. Mr crocodile tears can ram it up his fake-ass Alberta cunt... Liar...

The Detroit Red Wings have had a reputation of aquiring only acquiring character players. Guys that are good on and off the ice. Until recently. "Big Bert" was all but outed for faking injury when he skated through an entire Wings practice last week.

Shocking that his health improved after being traded to a contender.

Okay, so I picked the Flyers to win their division last year. Hell, they should have. Sure they had some injuries, but they quit. they quit hard.

Why is Calgary so bad on the road? Is it the fraceoffs? WTF? If the Flames were even a .500 road team they'd be a 4 or 3 seed in the West.
Defense wins championships.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

The CAPS are building a core unit, a team, forged in the fires of last place.

Let's Go Caps.

WAR Next Year
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: Totally random thoughts 3/14/07

Post by Shoalzie »

Blitzkrieg wrote:The Detroit Red Wings have had a reputation of aquiring only acquiring character players. Guys that are good on and off the ice. Until recently. "Big Bert" was all but outed for faking injury when he skated through an entire Wings practice last week.

Sheepishly goes to change his avatar... :lol:
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Random thoughts?

Ok, in Bettman's NHL...

Why wouldn't the Oilers pony up and pay Smith clearly what he deserved to stay in Edmonton.

How is it, in an era where all teams are supposed to be making money (thanks to the salary cap) that the Phoenix Coyotes are set to lose between
$20-30 million this year alone...

Now we know how is it that Ted Saskin became the point man that ripped off the NHLPA when he agreed to Bettman's deal which didn't have the approval of the man who the players should have listened to, Bob Goodenow.
Saskin was opening the players emails and spying on them.. and more than likely in cahoots with his pals Bettman or Dailey.

Alan Eagleson would be proud of him and somewhere Bob Goodenow's smiling because Saskin's career is effectively over.
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Re: Totally random thoughts 3/14/07

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Shoalzie wrote:
Blitzkrieg wrote:The Detroit Red Wings have had a reputation of aquiring only acquiring character players. Guys that are good on and off the ice. Until recently. "Big Bert" was all but outed for faking injury when he skated through an entire Wings practice last week.

Sheepishly goes to change his avatar... :lol:

I never said the guy can't play hockey. If you remember, Dino Ciccarelli came to Detroit after beating a rape case in Edmonton(with Craig Mactavish and Dan Quinn also being named in the case). Also, Dino had actually done jail time for cracking a guy over the head with his stick. It seems like everyone forgot about all that once Ciccarelli started burying goals left and right. To this day I would guess that he's somewhat beloved among the majority of Wings fans. Hell, I loved watching that guy play. He was full-on crazy.

The worst case scenario for Bertuzzi is he either gets hurt again and/or he bolts for free agency while the Wings tank in the playoffs. The best case being the Wings go all the way this year and he re-signs. The latter I actually expect regardless of what happens in the coming months.
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Didn't Bertuzzi flip out on some radio guy in Vancouver BTW? I seem to recall something about some radio hack calling his wife hot and Bertuzzi threatening to kill the guy.
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Otis wrote: Why wouldn't the Oilers pony up and pay Smith clearly what he deserved to stay in Edmonton.
They tried. Is Smyth worth more than $5.4 over 6 years with a no trade clause because that's what Patrick Laforge said that they offered (and the deal that was accepted by teh Smyth Camp until 15 minutes before the deadline). Smyth had 2 goals as an Islander and Nilson has 1 as an oiler. Long term who will have more for their team? I'm betting Nilson since Smyth will go UFA in 12 more games.

My question are
1) Will Calgary or the Avs miss the playoffs? Calgary is brutal on the road and the Isles have fallen in the standings since the Smyth trade.... I hoping sooo much for both of these things.

2) Which teams had a retired player lift the Stanely Cup this year? I know Vernon did and Calgary has sucked since and Messier did and Edmonton has yet to win. Who else did?
GET-ZKY!!!!
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Joey Moss wrote:
My question are
1) Will Calgary or the Avs miss the playoffs?

Uhhh, no. They're 8 points up on the Aves with 11 games left. They'd need to tank horribly combined with the Aves actually showing up like the team they should be.

Yes, I am implying that the Aves have been a total tank job this year. Especially in net.
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

More randomness...

Am I the only one that has noticed the ghost of Sergei Fedorov playing for some obscure team in Ohio? How's that whole grass is always greener thing working out for you Sergei?

On the other hand, Slava Kozlov has been a point per game player in Atlanta.

The Panthers traded Loungo for Bertuzzi. In turn the Panthers traded Bert to the Wings for potential draft picks(and a bag of used jockstraps). All I can say is hell-oooo Winnepeg Panthers.

Better yet, hell-ooo contraction.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Blitzkrieg wrote:More randomness...

Am I the only one that has noticed the ghost of Sergei Fedorov playing for some obscure team in Ohio? How's that whole grass is always greener thing working out for you Sergei?

On the other hand, Slava Kozlov has been a point per game player in Atlanta.

First off, I'm stunned you addressed him by name. :lol:

Second, you're talking about two guys playing in completely different situations. Sergei is 37...I was surprised to read that the other day...he's supposed to be on the decline and usual retire around this time unless you're a freak of nature like Chelios. Kozlov is 34...old in hockey years but still a productive player and seeing time with two of the most explosive players in the sport in Kovalchuk and Hossa. Sergei is his prime had the ability to get the most out of his linemates but when you look at the Jackets right now, Nash and Zherdev are vastly underachieving.

The Jackets are close to becoming the last active NHL franchise to not make the playoffs when you consider the Wild are on their way back there plus were in the Western Finals a few years ago and Atlanta looks like they're going to break through. What is wrong with the Blue Jackets? A 27-year-old Fedorov could probably turn them around but not a 37-year-old.
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

Q:
Shoalzie wrote: What is wrong with the Blue Jackets?

A: Image
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

blitz, i haven't been to a hawks game since 00 and i don't plan on going anytime soon (unless i get free tix). the hawks couldn't fill a college venue nevertheless the uc, which i believe is the biggest barn in the league, and the atmosphere is brutal.

you get rays of hope like havlat and bulin but then it is all pissed down the drain when they go on one of their convienient losers of 9-of-10 streaks.

nice to see koslov having some success, he was a key but understated part of the wings dynasty.