Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Shoalzie
WingNut

Tonight was Chris Simon's last game of the season

Post by Shoalzie »

Click on the video highlight on the right if you haven't seen the incident:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=270308012

Thankfully Hollweg didn't get hurt worse but still the act needs to be punished no matter how much damage was inflicted.

(Yes, I realize the irony of me calling out what Simon did when I've got a guy who received a very tough penalty by the league as my avatar)
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Saw it and it's not surprising. Cheap move by a cheap piece of shit.

The Rangers are starting to play a bit better (keeping fingers crossed). Lundqvist is starting to be a bit more consistent. They hold the 8th spot now and have games in hands on the teams right there with them.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Is Shanny coming back soon?
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I haven't heard when, but I would think he would be out another week or two after that hit. That was pretty ugly.

Watching the video from ESPN, I can now conclude that Karl Ravech is a total dipshit. Trying to say that it looked like Simon was swinging for Holloweg's chest is someone supposed to lessen the act of swinging one's stick like a baseball bat at another player who just finished a clean check on said stick swinger.

I tell you what, Chris Simon better be thanking his lucky stars that the linesmen got to him before Colton Orr did.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

holy fucking shit. not a surprising move from simon. and yes, ravich's carelessness was probably endorsed by the idiots at espn.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

Dammit! Hahaha! I just posted about this in another thread (Pens moving to KC.....)

This is what I found for video....should cue to the game automatically:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/ivp ... id=2792458

That shoulda been a tie game. (sayin') Lundquist caught a break on the "disallow", BIG TIME!

I live with "Ranger honk", so had the Isles actually taken that game......I'd be posting this from my bunker!
War Wagon wrote:There is a God and my tomato garden is proof of that.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Where in the clip is Ravech saying that? It's Buccigross and Melrose on the highlight from what I remember...

Anyways, ESPN is going to do it's typical raking over the coals with the NHL as it always does after an incident like this. I don't think I even want to listen to the ignorant takes on that network for the next few days because it'll just be a feeding frenzy. When Barry Melrose is your voice of reason on the network, the league is pretty much defenseless in a situation like this.

The most frustrating figure in all of this is Bettman. I think it's obvious he wants to get fighting out of the league and make the sport simply a skill game. The instigator rule comes into play once again when instead of squaring off with Hollweg, Simon is left with finding an alternative form of retaliation. Granted, he wasn't hit illegally and any reaction on his part is an overreaction. Using his stick as a weapon shouldn't be condoned under any circumstances but I think guys aren't treating other players with the same respect they were treated with in the past.

The league's image gets dragged through the mud because these knuckleheads being careless and wreckless towards their fellow player. However, if these guys are on the ice and are still in the game and fighting is trying to be systematically phased out of the game, then what else are they supposed to when they are challenged on the ice? Instead of fighting the other guy, they are left with doing things like what McSorley did to Brashear, Bertuzzi did to Moore and what Simon just did to Hollweg. The Old West style of justice in hockey used to hold players accountable for taking liberties with anyone on the ice. Instead of seeing a relatively tame fight between Simon and Hollweg, we see the act committed by Simon and then a brawl afterwards.

I think Simon will and should get a punishment comparable to Bertuzzi...done for the rest of the season including playoffs and have his return to the league left in doubt going into next season. Have that issue left for review by the league and honestly, since Simon isn't exactly a choir boy, maybe he should be tossed out of the league all together to send a very loud message to everyone if they ever have a single thought about using their sticking as a weapon in this manner ever again.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I meant Buccigross. Apologies to Karl Ravech.

Lundqvist caught no "break". There was no conclusive shot that showed the puck FULLY crossing over the line, so the refs call stood. It was also the correct call.
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

Wait, so am I to understand that Chris Simon deliberately pulled a cheap shot move and tried to injure another player???? I'm...I'm shocked. Really. I would never have seen this coming from such a standup guy.

sin,
yes I would

Chris Simon is one of the biggest POS in the game. The NHL can throw his ass out of the league forever as far as I'm concerned. I won't shed a tear for that asshole.

Of course, Bettman's a supreme pussy, so no doubt Simon will be back to pulling stunts like this next season, or possibly even this season. Nothing like "sending a message" eh, Gary?
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

The fact that Simon, who apparently prides himself on being a tough guy, was angered enough by clean check to swing his stick at another players head, instead of dropping the gloves, shows what a true pussy he is. Hollweg would have dropped the gloves and fought.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

MuchoBulls wrote: Lundqvist caught no "break". There was no conclusive shot that showed the puck FULLY crossing over the line, so the refs call stood. It was also the correct call.
Ummm, maybe you and I weren't watching the same game then? I watched it on MSG last night, and they must've zoomed and replayed that "questionable goal" like, 15 times. Anyhow, if you watch the last 20 seconds of this clip, you'll see it. It FULLY crossed the line. (even Renney made a comment to the fact)

MSG had an even better view from BEHIND the net, but ESPN didn't pull that tape.

Lunduh caught himself a break.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/ivp ... id=2792458
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Sorry, but the one camera that was from near center ice is a terrible angle to show the actual depth of the puck (remember the Calgary-Tampa Bay Finals when Flame fan thought it was a goal based on a camera from the same angle). The angle from behind the net is much more accurate and you cannot tell with any conclusiveness that the puck FULLY crossed the line. AN overhead shot would have been ideal because you would have seen perfectly since there were no players in the crease there to block that angle.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

MuchoBulls wrote:Sorry, but the one camera that was from near center ice is a terrible angle to show the actual depth of the puck (remember the Calgary-Tampa Bay Finals when Flame fan thought it was a goal based on a camera from the same angle). The angle from behind the net is much more accurate and you cannot tell with any conclusiveness that the puck FULLY crossed the line. AN overhead shot would have been ideal because you would have seen perfectly since there were no players in the crease there to block that angle.
Bwahahaha! Like I mentioned before, we have "Ranger fan" living amongst us here. He's like the Peter Gammons of the NYR, and even HE thought they were robbed. MSG DID have an overhead shot, behind the net....clear as day. The Islander's broadcasters kept making comments to the fact that maybe Toronto didn't have the same angled shot?

Whatever. Clearly anything that could've happened before OR after Simon's hit was going to be irrelevant at this point.

Ranger's needed the 2, props to them.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

If the over head behind the net angle is the same one from that ESPN replay, then you cannot say that the puck was the line. I would like to see a direct overhead shot if there is/was one available. The side angle doesn't offer any depth, epsecially for a puck on its edge, which was the case in this instance.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

MuchoBulls wrote:If the over head behind the net angle is the same one from that ESPN replay, then you cannot say that the puck was the line. I would like to see a direct overhead shot if there is/was one available. The side angle doesn't offer any depth, epsecially for a puck on its edge, which was the case in this instance.
Well, it was....and it's out there, somewhere? As I mentioned before, it wasn't the shot that ESPN had.

Sooo, how many posts did we milk this one for, eh?

I hear you folks keep a "scorecard" here, or sumpthin'?

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

^^^ My favorite Ranger player of all time. Nice find.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

cinderella_undercover wrote:
MuchoBulls wrote: Lundqvist caught no "break". There was no conclusive shot that showed the puck FULLY crossing over the line, so the refs call stood. It was also the correct call.
Ummm, maybe you and I weren't watching the same game then? I watched it on MSG last night, and they must've zoomed and replayed that "questionable goal" like, 15 times. Anyhow, if you watch the last 20 seconds of this clip, you'll see it. It FULLY crossed the line. (even Renney made a comment to the fact)

MSG had an even better view from BEHIND the net, but ESPN didn't pull that tape.
Damn, I can't stand posters with zero common sense. Especially women w/out it.

The idiocy of the pic aside...
So, by your ill-conceived, abortion-grade common sense, the ping pong ball in this pic is off the back of the table. I mean, you can see background between the ball and the endline... so common sense, errrr... complete idiocy says it's not over.

Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

Hey! Take that crap to the "Wrinkled Old Bats Playing Sports I Don't Give A Rat's Ass About" forum.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

Ken wrote:
cinderella_undercover wrote:

Damn, I can't stand posters with zero common sense.
And yet you continue to post? Tragedy.

Go follow behind some other "probie" and try to run your low grade garble. I came to this forum to side step cack stains like you.

It's enough to disagree with someone's view, without having to bust out photos of "the one whose hip was too weak to get away", for support.

Thanks for that.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

From TSN.ca, the punishment has been handed down...the rest of the regular season (15 games) and the first 7 games of playoffs...essentially one round.

Pathetic. The fact Hollweg got out of the incident with just a few cuts on his chin is probably the main reason this was such a light punishment. Clearly a punishment based on the harm inflicted on the other person...these acts shouldn't be left to interpretation regardless. You swing your stick at the face of another player with intent to injure, it has to be as stiff of a punishment as McSorley and Bertuzzi received. So is Simon getting a reprieve because he has bad aim?
Last edited by Shoalzie on Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

22 games? As Shoalzie says...Pathetic.

According to NHL logic, this was 5% worse than what Dale Hunter did to Pierre Turgeon 14 years ago.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Absolutely unacceptable if that is the punishment. Colin Campbell needs to wake up.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

MuchoBulls wrote:Absolutely unacceptable if that is the punishment. Colin Campbell needs to wake up.
Punishment fits the crime fact that dude doesn't hafta take his food through a straw for the remainder of his life.

Disgrazia.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

What the deuce? TSN and MSG are retracting the original report about the suspension...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=199575&hubname=
moon
Elwood

Post by moon »

Considering the suspension that Bertuzzi got, Simon shouldn't miss a game. But since he isn't a superstar like Bert he (hopefully) won't get a BS suspension like Bertuzzi did.

Mucho a few points:

It wasn't that Flame fan thought that it was in, the puck was in.

I have a lot of doubt that Holliweg would have fought Simon. Maybe he would have fought Simons daughter if she had two hands tied behind her back, but when she inevitably starting kicking his ass he would turtle as fast as he could.

An absolutely stupid play by Simon. He deserves everything he gets but with Campbells record of suspending guys I don't expect him to get anything close to what he deserves.

If Bertuzzi is still allowed to play in the league I see no reason why this act deserves more than two or three games.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Moon, if you look at the overhead shot in Game 6 you'll see that Khabibulin made the save before the entire puck crossed the line. The side angle only gave the appearance that the puck was in because it was in the air, giving the illusion that was over the line, when it fact it wasn't.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

25 games minimum (15 regular season, all of the playoffs, if Isles do not play 10 playoff games (and they will not), carries over to next season.)

Too hard for Campbell to announce this yesterday?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

It's a start, but it certainly should have been more.