Rivals.com recruiting team rankings

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Anybody ever looked into how these rankings translate into actual wins?
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Re: Rivals.com recruiting team rankings

Post by Cicero »

Jsc810 wrote:The rich get richer, Florida is #1. Link.

Hmmmmmm, 6 of the top 10 recruiting classes belong to SEC schools. I wonder why that is.

B/c a lot of the top talent in the country resides in their backyard.

Is your next question going to be about why does Texas, USC, tOSU, FSU and Miami clean up in recruiting?
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

That system seems to be a bit skewed to those programs who anticipate signing a larger number of players.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

A couple of reasons

1 - They are established programs

2 - They have a history of putting lots of players in the NFL

3 - It's a little easier when a plethora of talent is no farther than a 4 hour drive or a 45 minute plane ride.

The South produces an insane amount of athletes and skill position players. Much like Texas, Cali and Ohio. The fact that every team in the SEC is in the South, plays a big part in why they can sign a ton of talent. Not to mention that kids dont have to venture very far from home, which plays a big deal.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:Anybody ever looked into how these rankings translate into actual wins?
Shut the hell up.

Sin,
Texas
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

See You Next Wednesday,

About a year or so ago, I took the 2000 and 2001 recruiting class rankings to see how those teams did in 2004 and 2005 (would be the 4th or 5th year of those players in the program) and I can't tell you off the top of my head the exact #'s, but about 80% of the BCS teams and about 75% of the Top 25 teams those years were schools that had Top 25 recruiting classes in 2000 and 2001. I'd like to check a different year but I haven't got the time to do it.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Cicero wrote:Much like Texas, Cali and Ohio.
So the number of football players a state produces is in direct proportion to thwe population of the state?

Wow, who woulda thunk it?

I seem to remember a few years back, someone posted a map that showed the number of D1 players produced by area. That map might as well have been a population distribution map...same thing.
Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

MuchoBulls wrote:That system seems to be a bit skewed to those programs who anticipate signing a larger number of players.
SC will move up by the end of it - we only show 13 commits at the moment, but it has always been Carrol's M.O. to have silent verbals from players. Those guys announce late, thus they aren't reflected in the current rankings.
DeWayne Walker wrote:"They could have put 55 points on us today. I was happy they didn't run the score up. . . .
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Jsc810 wrote:
Cicero wrote:A couple of reasons

1 - They are established programs

2 - They have a history of putting lots of players in the NFL

3 - It's a little easier when a plethora of talent is no farther than a 4 hour drive or a 45 minute plane ride.

The South produces an insane amount of athletes and skill position players. Much like Texas, Cali and Ohio. The fact that every team in the SEC is in the South, plays a big part in why they can sign a ton of talent. Not to mention that kids dont have to venture very far from home, which plays a big deal.
Good reasons, but why does the South produce "an insane amount of athletes and skill position players"? We may eat more collard greens than the rest of the country, but I doubt that it the reason.

Why? B/c there are tons of fast, black kids in these states and also since the weather is pretty nice all year round(expect for Ohio), they can train outdoors and practice all year.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Cicero wrote:since the weather is pretty nice all year round(expect for Ohio), they can train outdoors and practice all year.

Genius take.

Sin,
Michigan
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Dinsdale wrote:
Cicero wrote:since the weather is pretty nice all year round(expect for Ohio), they can train outdoors and practice all year.

Genius take.

Sin,
Michigan
Michigan is one of the very few teams who recruits nationally. Why? Because their recruiting base sucks ass. Most of the talented players on UofM's roster come from traditional recruiting states.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

You beat me to it, Killian.

There are always expections but Michigan deosnt produce that amount of in-state talent that Fl, Cali, OH, and Texas do.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Cicero wrote:You beat me to it, Killian.

There are always expections but Michigan deosnt produce that amount of in-state talent that Fl, Cali, OH, and Texas do.
So, see if I've got this straight...

Michigan doesn't produce as many D1 players as states that have a higher population than Michigan?

Wow...I'm going to have to contemplate this stroke of genius you've once again brought to the masses, Sis.

I mean, that's a concept that's pretty hard to fathom.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:
MuchoBulls wrote:That system seems to be a bit skewed to those programs who anticipate signing a larger number of players.
SC will move up by the end of it - we only show 13 commits at the moment, but it has always been Carrol's M.O. to have silent verbals from players. Those guys announce late, thus they aren't reflected in the current rankings.
I think the average star ranking is a better indicator of a programs recruiting class.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Dinsdale wrote:

Michigan doesn't produce as many D1 players as states that have a higher population than Michigan?

Wow...I'm going to have to contemplate this stroke of genius you've once again brought to the masses, Sis.

I'm not sure how Michigan's population stacks up against New Jersey or PA, but they are always well ahead of Michigan in terms of high school football talent.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Dinsdale wrote:

I knew you were an arrogant prick, but damn Dins. Here we are talking about recruiting and you come here pointing out the obvious and acting like we're the assholes.

No shit that states w/ higher populations have a larger number of talent. It was so obvious that the rest of us pretty much didn't make it apart of the equation. No one was even mentioning Michigan until you attempted to come here and kick us some knowledge about recruiting.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:Anybody ever looked into how these rankings translate into actual wins?
In 2k2 Texas was #1 and in 2k5 they won the MNC.

Look for USC to to start a huge run now that we are into their huge string of #1 classes that are now upper classmen.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Dinsdale wrote:
Shut the hell up.

Sin,
Texas
Owned, see above post. BTW what current coach has the highest win percentage since 98, thats correct Texas does. I guess that makes you double owned.
Dinsdale wrote:
Cicero wrote:Much like Texas, Cali and Ohio.
So the number of football players a state produces is in direct proportion to thwe population of the state?

Wow, who woulda thunk it?

I seem to remember a few years back, someone posted a map that showed the number of D1 players produced by area. That map might as well have been a population distribution map...same thing.
Actually Lousianna has the highest percentage of D-1 football talent per capita. They have a population right there with Utah but produce a shit load of D-1A talent. Owned yet again.
Dinsdale wrote:

Genius take.

Sin,
Michigan
Damn your stupid, in the south most of the football players go directly from football into track and field where they speed train from January through May then in the summer they do 7 on 7. Sorry but you can't do that in the North and because Track is not as big in the west outside of Cali you don't see the competition like you do in the south. BTW Track and field in Dallas and Houston are as big as hockey in Minnesota or basketball in Indiana.
Dinsdale wrote:

Michigan doesn't produce as many D1 athletes as Lousianna or Georgia and they are on par with or less than the population of Michigan. Do you know anything about the sport?
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Oh, dear.

First --
Vito Corleone wrote: Damn your stupid
Uhm...

Don't feel too badly -- I've messed up a contraction on an occasion myself. And I self-imposed a short moratorium on running "your stupid" smack for a time afterwards.

Sorry but you can't do that in the North and because Track is not as big in the west outside of Cali

Really? And I could have sworn that a certain NCAA team that I root for has hosted the outdoor track and field championships a boatload of times, is again in a couple of years, and has a whole freaking trophy case full of T&F trophies...silly me. Also could have sworn the biggest sporting apparel company in the world was started by track coaches and athletes there(who kind of invented the concept of a "running shoe"), the guy who made distance running cool in the USA was from there, and the guy who changed the way the entire world went about high jumping(and still has the that innovative technique named after him) was from there.

And the guy who is considered the greatest T&F coach in history coached there(and started that certain large sports shoe company while he was at it).

I guess I just imagined all that stuff.

you don't see the competition like you do in the south.

PSSSST! I'll let you in on a little secret -- if you want to "see" track and field at the highest level, it's all about the championship meet. And I can drive about 1.5 hours and "see" that happen, every few years.

PSSSST!!! There's only 5 places that are considered to have the facilities to host the outdoor championship. PSSSST!!!! Only one of them is in the South, which would be prennial track powerhouse Arkansas.

Matter of fact, Mr Track and Field Guy, Arkansas is the ONLY team from the South that has won more outdoor championships than the University of Oregon.

But yeah, tell us about that one-horse-race "competition" that you only see in the South...dumbass.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Jimmy Medalions wrote:
I think the average star ranking is a better indicator of a programs recruiting class.
agreed
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Cicero wrote:

Hmmmmmm, 6 of the top 10 recruiting classes belong to SEC schools. I wonder why that is.

Is your next question going to be about why does Texas, USC, tOSU, FSU and Miami clean up in recruiting?
Uhhhh.......FSU is going to have a hard time just cracking the top 25 this year.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Vito Corleone wrote:Actually Lousianna has the highest percentage of D-1 football talent per capita. They have a population right there with Utah but produce a shit load of D-1A talent.

See, but here, we have a special, unique case. Here you have a state where the sole focus is cranking out football players. But see, in other places in the country, they try to branch off into other areas of interest...like education, for example, where other states don't consistently rank in the bottom...one in education. Most other states tend to crack the top-49 on a pretty regular basis.

Heck, here on the west Coast, they even teach kids how to spell "Louisiana." All that schoolin' takes away from some of that precious football-training time.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

James Wilson jumping USC's ship and deciding to stay home and play at Florida hurts a little.
USC only has 13 verbals, 10 of those 13 are among the nations top 100 players and 8 are 5 star players. Florida has 24 commits, 7 in the top 100 and 6 are five star players (including Wilson)
With Smith, Warren, Austin, McKnight and Jones still to commit and USC likely to get at least 3 of those guys, the Trojans should be fine
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

T REX wrote:
Cicero wrote:

Uhhhh.......FSU is going to have a hard time just cracking the top 25 this year.

We will probably close at about 20. I was referring to perennial recruiting powers. W/ a limited number of ships this year I knew we wouldnt get as many style points. No biggie. Next year we will have 20+ ships available and we will be Top 3 again.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

How can you guarantee you'll be top 3? You are in a huge downturn and it shows not just on the field in wins/losses but OFF the field. You are currently what....9th in the ACC? Is that a joke? It's going to take more than shuffling a few coaches to return to greatness especially with UF OWNING the state now. The TITLE combined with fsu-miami struggles equates to bigger things for UF in recruiting.

You say "No Biggie." You guys went 8-5 last year and 7-6 this year. UF was in the same funk. It's not just a "No Biggie." You have a culture of losing for two years.....those same players that lost? Many are still there. If you think its that easy.....have fun.

buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

OSU is having a rough go of it this year with only 13 commits...granted some very strong players

Eugene Clifford
Brandon Saine
James Scott
Brian Rolle

etc

if they can land Major Wright and Ro Jo that would be huge...if not great...they bank the ships and use them next year. From what I read next year is going to be off the charts in terms of overall talent around the country. Plus tOSU had a ton of kids from the last two classes red shirt so they have depth but they can't afford another year like this...
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Recruiting national championships are extremely important.

Regards,

War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

T REX wrote:How can you guarantee you'll be top 3? You are in a huge downturn and it shows not just on the field in wins/losses but OFF the field. You are currently what....9th in the ACC? Is that a joke? It's going to take more than shuffling a few coaches to return to greatness especially with UF OWNING the state now. The TITLE combined with fsu-miami struggles equates to bigger things for UF in recruiting.

You say "No Biggie." You guys went 8-5 last year and 7-6 this year. UF was in the same funk. It's not just a "No Biggie." You have a culture of losing for two years.....those same players that lost? Many are still there. If you think its that easy.....have fun.

I know you and every other UF fan has a hard on for FSU. 3 years ago you guys were in the same position and you came out fo it fine. Why can't we? UF has cleaned up in recruting the last two years. Great job. Things will die down. I know you Gates are excited and I know it must have been tough to watch us do it for 15 years while you guys had to play second fiddle, but we will be back in the Top 3, just like we were last year.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Cicero wrote:
I know you and every other UF fan has a hard on for FSU. 3 years ago you guys were in the same position and you came out fo it fine. Why can't we? UF has cleaned up in recruting the last two years. Great job. Things will die down. I know you Gates are excited and I know it must have been tough to watch us do it for 15 years while you guys had to play second fiddle, but we will be back in the Top 3, just like we were last year.
Nope. I'm just observing. We made wholesale changes not just one or two. Not to mention you lost your recruiting coordinator in Steele......and you are having your worst class in years.....coincidence? I think not.

I was surprised you didn't go after Mavre harder. Miami looks like they're in the bag.

Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

We don't need Marve. We have 4 QB's on scholarship.

Lee RedJr
Weather RedJr
Devontrey Richardson RedFr(future QB)
Ponder RedFr
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Cicero wrote:We don't need Marve. We have 4 QB's on scholarship.

Lee RedJr
Weather RedJr
Devontrey Richardson RedFr(future QB)
Ponder RedFr
Lee? You'll never know.....Bowden doesn't think he's got it.

Weatherford? Bowden's boy......many gators think Lee would be better given the long term investment

Richardson? Unproven

Ponder? Unproven

Mavre? Only broke Tim Tebow's records and is one of the best pure passers in years from FL......yeah, what school needs him?

Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Trust me, I know my team better than you do. I have seen Marve's tapes and while I think he is a good prospect, I dont see him being any better than Ponder or D'Vo. D'Vo is our future Qb.

Lee has every physical tool in the book. Jimbo will harness it and Lee will be our starter. With good coaching Drew will also improve tremendously. His arm is plenty good to be a starting QB.

Marve broke a lot of records but I dont think his arm is great. It's above average but not any better than Weatherford's or Ponder's, and certainly not better than Xavier or D'Vo.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

X Lee should have come to Texas

I'm sure Jumbo will be a good fit for him but he would have been special in the Texas offense taking over for Vince. People can say what they want about Greg Davis but he has proven time and time again that he is one of the best in the biz at developing qbs.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Cicero wrote:Trust me, I know my team better than you do. I have seen Marve's tapes and while I think he is a good prospect, I dont see him being any better than Ponder or D'Vo. D'Vo is our future Qb.

Lee has every physical tool in the book. Jimbo will harness it and Lee will be our starter. With good coaching Drew will also improve tremendously. His arm is plenty good to be a starting QB.

Marve broke a lot of records but I dont think his arm is great. It's above average but not any better than Weatherford's or Ponder's, and certainly not better than Xavier or D'Vo.
Bowden still runs the circus.....Weatherford will start vs Clemson. Wager?

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Marve is a very good player. I'd love to have him here, but he is not going to want redshirt and then sit behind Grothe for 2 more years after that.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

On a side note.....Trattou now a Gator after decommitting from nd.....with Dunlap as well.....UF is re-freaking-loading.

Rack Urban Renewal!

Killian

Post by Killian »

Yeah, good pickup for the Gators. He doesn't think he fits into the 3-4 (can't say that I blame him) and decided to go to UF. I question that decision, based on how many DE/DT's UF has committed, but whatever.

Weis fucked this one up. Hopefully Brown is a miracle worker, because Weis is being very Ty-esq with his defensive recruiting.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

T REX wrote:
Cicero wrote:Trust me, I know my team better than you do. I have seen Marve's tapes and while I think he is a good prospect, I dont see him being any better than Ponder or D'Vo. D'Vo is our future Qb.

Bowden still runs the circus.....Weatherford will start vs Clemson. Wager?

Jimbo has the reins of the Offense just like Richt used too. Jimbo wouldnt have came if he didnt. If Drew is starting than it means he out worked and out performed Xavier. Jimbo will play the best QB and I think now that he is healthy this Spring, he is going to seperate from Drew.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

That's a lot of conjecture.....Jimbo only came if he was given free reins? Link, quote, anything. I think he came for the possibility of a head coaching gig......but then Amato is back too?

kill: We want John Brown....we already have six of his HS teammates.

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

T REX wrote:kill: We want John Brown....we already have six of his HS teammates.
I am presuming that he is from Lakeland?