Under the Radar Teams

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Mook
Elwood

Under the Radar Teams

Post by Mook »

I'd like to see some teams that are out there that have the ability to win a game or two in the tournament that aren't discussed at all. Obviously all of teams would need to find good match-ups.

New Mexico State - Coached by Reggie Theus they are very up-tempo and play tough defense.

Wyoming - This team may not even make the tournament and they really lack talent but they play hard and could be a tough match up if (and that is a big if) they get in the tourney.

Indiana State - A lesser known MVC team. They have some big wins at home this year, although they got smacked by Butler last weekend. Mostly they are getting my respect by being competitive in a tough conference. We'll see how they fare on the road.

That's three, I'll throw a few more out there later but these teams could definitely surprise in March.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

What no CAL?

I call bullshit!

Sin,

MTOOL (sorry a little CFB humor)

Would GA Tech and VA Tech fit the description?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Under the Radar Teams

Post by Dinsdale »

Mook wrote:Reggie Theus ... tough defense

I laughed.

I guess as long as someone else is playing it, Reggie is all about defense.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Air Force
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mook wrote:Indiana State - A lesser known MVC team. They have some big wins at home this year, although they got smacked by Butler last weekend. Mostly they are getting my respect by being competitive in a tough conference. We'll see how they fare on the road.
IN ST also handed butler its first loss.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MVC isn't fucking around this year.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

wasm't air force a preseason top 25?

only problem with mvc, is they are beating the fuck out of each other now. witchy st took out some top teams, then hit their lull, and now have 3-4 conference losses. road games are too tough.

the billikens were fucking tards for not going to mvc, the a10 is fucking horrid, a joke.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Dinsdale wrote:

I laughed.

You're probably too young to have seen Theus' original Runnin Rebs team at UNLV....That team didn't even attempt to play defense....and they often got away with it.....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I just remember Reggie in the NBA...shoot first, play defense...never. Kiki V was a good defender in comparison...

Oh, sorry, Seer. I'll rephrase that..."Tracy Murray was a good defender, by comparison."
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Speaking of UNLV

they are 15-4 and can play solid defense. They tend to rely a bit too much on the 3 point shot due to the lack of size in the middle. however they are a very good passing team and did go into UNR and give them their only loss. They also gave Air force all they could handle 2 weeks ago. If Kevin Kruger wink Adams and Wendell White can stay healthy the Rebs have a legit shot at winning the Mountain West and pulling a surprise in the NCAAs.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

I'd take Indiana State off the list since they won't be in the tourney barring a miracle run in the MVC tourney. Not that they don't play good ball but they're no better than 6th in the MVC.

As for some under the radar teams on my radar:

Appalachian State- their strength is their backcourt and in the tourney that is key. They got smacked around early by the big boys but after that initial rough patch they managed to knock off UVA, Vandy and win at VCU which is tougher to do than most would think (more on this later).

Western Kentucky- Courtney Lee is a player.

Hofstra- the Colonial IMO is only a slight step behind the MVC and Hofstra might be the best the conference has. VCU (remember them) currently sits atop the standings at 6-0 but the Pride are right behind them at 5-1. They have a loaded backcourt and again that is key in the dance.

I also like VCU, ODU and the more known Drexel from the Colonial.

Winthrop- not sure if they qualify as "under the radar" but if I were a high major team I'd hate to draw these guys on Selection Sunday. Their coach is outstanding.

Marist- another team I wouldn't want to draw come tourney time.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

The Seer wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

I laughed.

You're probably too young to have seen Theus' original Runnin Rebs team at UNLV....That team didn't even attempt to play defense....and they often got away with it.....
I'm definitely old enough to remember Theus the player at both UNLV and assorted NBA teams including the KC, yes KC Kings!
JeffintheCuse
Crack Whore

Post by JeffintheCuse »

UMass (13-4, 3-0) is quietly putting together perhaps their best season since the Calipari era. They haven't beaten anyone really good, most notable was probably beating Louisville at Freedom Hall. But, they have an impressive frontcourt combo of Rashaun Freeman and shot blocking force Stephane Lasme, plus James Life gives them outside shooting. PG is a concern but if they address that, they have the sort of balance that can make life tough for a favorite.

Someone mentioned Appalachian St. earlier, but Davidson is quietly out 15-3, 6-0. They won at Arizona St. and blasted Charlotte along the way
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

A&M beat the fuckpiss out of Winthrop. Take them off your dreamer list.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

IndyFrisco wrote:A&M beat the fuckpiss out of Winthrop. Take them off your dreamer list.
I'm failing to see your point. So what that Winthrop lost very early in the year to a FF contender. That was one game and in March Winthrop is still MORE than capable of winning a game or two in the dance. Winthrop took Wisconsin to OT in Wisconsin, they can ball. They nearly pulled the 2/15 upset last year and have most of that squad back.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

ND is finally getting good, solid low post play and it is paying off. They were doing much better until their PG was busted with weed in the car.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK