So how many people here can read?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

So how many people here can read?

Post by JCT »

What do read? Recommendations? ETC Books, movies etc. talk it up.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Come monday I may have to move some of my movie reviews from scobode.

-ET
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

Complete bookworm nerd checking in

I usually go through about 3 novels a week

But I doubt that Fiona Walker, Jill Mansell or Louise Baggshawe novels would interest you blokes

though you might like the David Balducci stuff
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

missjo wrote:Complete bookworm nerd checking in

I usually go through about 3 novels a week

But I doubt that Fiona Walker, Jill Mansell or Louise Baggshawe novels would interest you blokes

though you might like the David Balducci stuff
is that a lot of the mystery/crime genre? i know balducci is. james patterson is hit or miss with his books.
if you like artsy fantasy, neil gaiman.
thomas pynchon crying of lot 49 is my most favorite book evah.
tomas8
Mr. Laid Back

Post by tomas8 »

i read the rule of four a few weeks ago.
it was ok, it's more of a coming of age book than a da vinci code like book, overall, i'd rate it a 3 out of 5 stars.

i'm reading ice hunt by james rollins right now.

if you like sci fi thrillers check out this guys books:

http://www.jamesrollins.com
sorry about that whammy!
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

Donovan wrote:Image
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

I like autobiograpies of sports legends,and musicians.

Last book I read was Ric Flairs autobiog.Pretty good book,.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

last few books ive read are conservative propaganda. i love them so much. for fun ive been reading some of my old richard brautigan stuff. mostly the poetry and short stories. if you ever happen upon williard and his bowling trophies in the used book store or any other brautigan books, buy them for me.

ive listed before, but other authors ive been into in the past when i can keep at least one eye squinting:

john fante
bukowski
david sedaris (flaming primex)
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Brotherhood of the Grape - I'm down.
Chinaski - all over it.
Sedaris - can't read a sentence of it
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Mostly read technical stuff. When I get a chance to break free from that it's history and self improvement stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1569244 ... eader-link

This book is about improving self discipline and stuff. Just got it.

JCT,

I got a recommendation on a book you might enjoy from somebody awhile back. It's in my "to read" list.

Thunder Run by David Zucchino

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0871139 ... eader-link
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

I'm way into C.S. Lewis right now. I am reading Mere Christianity at the moment. I am also reading a book called The Question of God... written by Armand M. Nicholi Jr. VERY cool book that essentially puts together a "debate" between C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud on the subjects of God, sex, love, and the meaning of life.

I am also reading Anna Karenina by Tolstoy and A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain.

I am also reading the One Year Bible.

I :heart: books.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

pp, did you catch this a few years back?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/anna/

pretty good stuff.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Trolling for Dollars
Elwood

Post by Trolling for Dollars »

ppanther wrote: I am also reading Anna Karenina by Tolstoy
Did you know the original title of War and Peace was War, What is it Good For?

Little known fact
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

PSUFAN wrote:pp, did you catch this a few years back?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/anna/

pretty good stuff.
Nope, but I'm loving the story, so I'd love to see it. (After I finish the book. I hate it when books get ruined for me by movies!)

TFD: War and Peace is actually on my list right after Anna Karenina. It's taking me forever to read, mostly because I'm also reading so many other things, that I might actually get to it by sometime in 2006...

:oops:
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

ppanther wrote:I'm way into C.S. Lewis right now. I am reading Mere Christianity at the moment.
The Teaching Company has an excellent lecture series on C.S. Lewis. I've heard other lectures on his life and works, but I enjoyed this one the most. The lecturer is Christian and isn't afraid to point out biblical references in Lewis' fictional books, and he really helped me understand what Lewis was trying to convey in The Problem Of Pain, which was a very hard book for me to read.

Post by Guest »

Lately i've been reading alot of historical stuff, things like "The Great Bridge", about the building of the Brooklyn Bridge, "The Path Between the Seas", about the building of the Panama Canal. While they sound fairly dry they were quite interesting delving into the people involved and the politics et al.

Also recently read "Washington's Crossing" after reading a review at the smackboard from Mike the lab rat. Another interesting history book.

Currently I am just plodding through the "911 Report" while keeping my eyes open for new interseting reads.
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

Well, that was interesting that i could post as a guest.

Sorry for double posting, just in case above goes away.

Lately i've been reading alot of historical stuff, things like "The Great Bridge", about the building of the Brooklyn Bridge, "The Path Between the Seas", about the building of the Panama Canal. While they sound fairly dry they were quite interesting delving into the people involved and the politics et al.

Also recently read "Washington's Crossing" after reading a review at the smackboard from Mike the lab rat. Another interesting history book.

Currently I am just plodding through the "911 Report" while keeping my eyes open for new interseting reads.
JCT

Post by JCT »

Currently reading 1812. In case you don't know I consume history books like no other.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

pp,

A Cooks Tour is great. I'll never eat seafood on a tuesday again.
Tiberious
Resident Bookie

Post by Tiberious »

I can read alittle, I think
You know who I am.

Make the world a better place, punch Urban Meyer in the face.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

ppanther wrote:I'm way into C.S. Lewis right now. I am reading Mere Christianity at the moment.
a good friend of mine who actually believes that BS wants me to read that book.

is it worth it?
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

stuckinia wrote:
a good friend of mine who actually believes that BS wants me to read that book.

is it worth it?
For me, it's highly worth it. VERY cool book. Incredibly interesting, especially for people who enjoy math, science, and logic.

For you? I don't know, it seems like you have already decided not to like it. I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for, but if you're going to go into it deciding in advance that it's "BS", you probably shouldn't waste your time.
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

ppanther wrote:I'm way into C.S. Lewis right now. I am reading Mere Christianity at the moment. I am also reading a book called The Question of God... written by Armand M. Nicholi Jr. VERY cool book that essentially puts together a "debate" between C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud on the subjects of God, sex, love, and the meaning of life.
I would also recomend The great divorce, Surprised by joy and The Screwtape letters, in no particular order.

And Doestevsky kicks Tolstoy's ass.

Just finished.....

And Shogun.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

I'm a huge Dostoevsky fan!
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Keeng of payge too!!

Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

ppanther wrote:I'm a huge Dostoevsky fan!

I suffered through The Brothers Karamazov, and it wasn't even a school assignment.

Tough read.

BTW, The Intro to Mere Christianity is, IMHO, the best writing of the 20th century. Grasp that, and you are "one of us". :D
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:A Cooks Tour is great.
What he said. I love it when he doesn't like something; a voice so rarely heard in food writing.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

ppanther wrote:I'm way into C.S. Lewis right now. I am reading Mere Christianity at the moment. I am also reading a book called The Question of God... written by Armand M. Nicholi Jr. VERY cool book that essentially puts together a "debate" between C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud on the subjects of God, sex, love, and the meaning of life.

I am also reading Anna Karenina by Tolstoy and A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain.

I am also reading the One Year Bible.

I :heart: books.

Rog I think you are thinking of Kitchen Confidential which Bourdain also wrote. Classic pp. Check that one out for sure.

Im reading Faithful by Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan right now. Can't get enough of those Sox.

Odd Thomas by Koontz was good.....

Post by Guest »

Just an excellent, excellent book. I love how he points out that it's the epitomy of arrogance to say that someone else is or is not a Christian. We only see what's on the outside, so how can we possibly make that call?

When you're done, pick up The Abolition of Man, but be prepared for a challenge! It's deceptively thin, but you'll end up reading parts of it two, maybe three times.

Currently, I'm reading Warning to the West by Alexander Solzhenitsyn, and very much enjoying it. Will probably tackle The Gulag Archipelago next.
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

^^^^^
Oops forgot to log in.
Junkman
Fred Sanford is my Hero

Post by Junkman »

Which History books you reading now, JCT?
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

Neely8 wrote:Odd Thomas by Koontz was good.....
The Taking.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Big Tom Clancy fan here
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

I usually stick to Theological and historical books.
Ang
Jumpin' Little Juke Joint Gal

Post by Ang »

I have to agree on all said about books by C.S. Lewis. Great reads!

Another favorite writer from long ago that is timeless are the essays of E. B. White. Most of them are old New Yorker essays and tell of daily life in a way that no one else could.

For more modern stuff, a book I thought was hilarious and even funnier when you know some bible stuff is Lamb: the Gospel of Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, by Christopher Moore. It covers all those missing years told by a pal of Jesus that was there from the git-go.

Another great book I read lately is about the World's Fair in Chicago and a concurrent serial killer at the time, a non-fiction book that reads like someone sitting down to tell a story...The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson. The most interesting part is the story of the planning and building of the fair...incredible things not done anywhere else at the time, huge buildings with acres of roof span, the first large installation of alternating current, the first ferris wheel and it carried something like 2500 people at a time. Fun stuff to read. The serial killer stuff is kind of creepy, but a still sort of interesting and a more minor part of the book.
JCT

Post by JCT »

Hi Ang!
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Do yourself a favor and pick anything by Dashiell Hamett or Raymond Chandler. Jim Thompson rates well too (The Killer Inside Me is amazing).

I am currently reading Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of his Holiness the Dalai Lama of Tibet. (Hence my sig)
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Ang
Jumpin' Little Juke Joint Gal

Post by Ang »

Thanks for the welcome, JCT! Great list of books here, I've been enjoying reading about what everyone is reading.